The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground??

+14
TopHat24/7
Super D Boon
seanmichaels
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
captain carrantuohil
Lumbering_Jack
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Steffan
Sugar Floyd Louis
BoxingFan88
manos de piedra
taguey
18 posters

Go down

Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground?? Empty Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground??

Post by taguey Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

Just seen a tweet from the Cobra stating that Eddie Hearn is working on a rematch between the 2 SMW stars to be held at NFFC's ground.

Personally, given what Kessler has said about a rematch, I think this is very probable. Sure, he has to get past Magee first, but that shouldn't be too much trouble for the Great Dane.

Thoughts guys?

taguey

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground?? Empty Re: Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground??

Post by manos de piedra Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:54 pm

Im a bit skeptical of it happening soon to be honest. Froch has obligations to Stevenson and Bute potentially soon while Kessler has Magee which would then set him up for a rematch with Ward I believe. So there are a number of potential stumbling blocks to get through. I also think it will take alot of money for Kessler to come to Nottingham so agreeing terms could be problematic. A two fight deal I think could be a decent option so that if Froch wins in Nottingham there is the option of a decider in Denamrk maybe. It might make Kessler more willing to travel.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground?? Empty Re: Froch vs Kessler at the City Ground??

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 21 Nov 2012, 12:39 am

If it happens, I will be there!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 21 Nov 2012, 2:22 am

This would be great!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:08 pm

Would be a great if it happen. I may even travel up there and cheer on my favourite Supermiddleweight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:13 pm

Steffan wrote:Would be a great if it happen. I may even travel up there and cheer on my favourite Supermiddleweight

Haha Kessler I presume?

I have heard word that Warren wants to match Cleverly and Froch in the Millennium Stadium. I would not have a clue who to support if that came off, I would definitely be there though. Froch has stated he won't move up to light heavyweight in the near future and he has 2013 planned already, so its not exactly likely.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

Froch is a proud man and I feel he would love to rematch Kessler, Ward and Bute (to honour the contract) more than he would like to face clev especially as he isn't a big super middle and won't go up to LHW and Clev is a fairly big LHW and is still growing

Warren always name drops when it looks least likely for the fights to come off, i.e, once a fighter is already tied up so I doubt the Froch interest is anything but something to get Clev's name being talked about

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Haha Kessler I presume?
Yeah. He won over quite a few people in Wales when he fought Calzaghe. Kessler is seems a top bloke a really exciting fighter to watch. Not sure how much he has left in the tank but hopefully it will be enough to despatch of Froch for a second time

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

The problem is, the City Ground doesn't have a licence to stage boxing matches, or at least it didn't earlier this year. The home of the legendary Nottingham Forest, the greatest football club in the world, was a no-go for the Buté fight, so Hearn was actually looking at Meadow Lane across the river for a while, which apparently does have the relevant licence.

They went with the arena in the end, but as far as I know the City Ground is still not an option. Can't imagine it takes too long to gain a licence for this kind of event, mind you.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

I wonder whether or not, given Froch's current "superstar" status, he'd be willing to bin the IBF belt in order to secure a fight with Kessler. At this stage in his career, I doubt titles or belts mean that much to Carl and it's more about beating the guys who beat him.

Like Barrera in the 90's, he didn't need a belt for people to acknowledge him as the best and, whilst Carl's obviously not "the man" at SM, he's so close to the top of the tree, people are going to know they're watching a top tier fighter irrespective of the fact it's not for a title.

I appreciate promotors and TV companies like to push these events with "World Championship Boxing" as the USP but with all the p**ba!!ing about over mandatories (and with neither of them getting any younger), would Froch and Kessler not be prepared to get the fight on even if neither of them gained a belt from it?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:04 am

I'm not so sure myself, Dave. I think Froch takes massive pride in that 'world champion' status, and a huge proportion of his advertising and promotion here in Nottingham is based around it, too. Kessler, pretty sportingly I think, gave up his own world title belt when he had to withdraw from the Super Six series allowing the winner of the tournament to unify, so I think he'd definitely appreciate the added bonus of a world title if he were to face Froch again, too.

Froch has said he may fight again as early as February or March if possible, so if he has to take care of his mandatory Stevenson in the meantime, then so be it. Froch-Kessler II can wait until the summer if needs be, assuming Kessler gets past Magee. I know there's talk of him facing Ward again if he does beat Magee, but I suspect that a fight with Froch might be a little more appealing to him for a couple of reasons.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:14 am

I agree he's proud to be a Champion but relinquishing it (sounds better than "binning it") to get the fight he really wants isn't going to take away the fact that he held the title three times.

I do dislike this trend of all fighters having to hold a belt of some description in order to make them more appealing to the mass market. It suggests that boxing fans are all morons who are dazzled by the shiny trinkets on display and believe the fight only means something if there's a prize at the end.

As I've not paid that much attention to the Hatton fight, I don't know if there's a spurious title on the line (but it wouldn't surprise me if there was).

Whilst Ward isn't a "wrecking machine" I can see why Froch and Kessler would be happy to beat seven bells out of each other than spend another frustration nightchasing him around the ring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm

88Chris05 wrote:The problem is, the City Ground doesn't have a licence to stage boxing matches, or at least it didn't earlier this year. The home of the legendary Nottingham Forest, the greatest football club in the world, was a no-go for the Buté fight, so Hearn was actually looking at Meadow Lane across the river for a while, which apparently does have the relevant licence.

They went with the arena in the end, but as far as I know the City Ground is still not an option. Can't imagine it takes too long to gain a licence for this kind of event, mind you.

How hard is it to get on granted though. Grease a few palms and it shouldn't be an issue. Have to disagree with the greatest stadium bit mind, although I do like the hooters bar close by.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

How would Hooters compare with the gastronomic paradise that is Shearer's, LJ?!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Have to disagree with the greatest stadium bit mind

That is reserved for the wonga.com arena.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Wongarena youv mean! St James Park is obviously the greatest stadium of earth. Be silly to argue otherwise.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:43 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:How would Hooters compare with the gastronomic paradise that is Shearer's, LJ?!

I've not eaten there captain... I prefer the shark bar over the road. A little pricey but the bar women are breath taking. Like a hooters, only with way more class.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Wongarena youv mean! St James Park is obviously the greatest stadium of earth. Be silly to argue otherwise.

Take your word for it pal, never been.

Geordieland is a good night out though. Only place I have ever been where the women are more scary than the men.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:45 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote: Like a hooters, only with way more class.

Mor classy than a hooters, they could maybe use that in their advertising in the future.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Take your word for it pal, never been.

Geordieland is a good night out though. Only place I have ever been where the women are more scary than the men.

You must be looking in the wrong place Tina. Central and the Quayside tend to keep the poor out. Much better than the big market, which despite its famed reputation is a heap of Poopie.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:

Mor classy than a hooters, they could maybe use that in their advertising in the future.

It is better than this one bar in Newcastle, who's opening line to get you in is "topless barmaids"... This is at 12 in the afternoon before the football.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:53 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

You must be looking in the wrong place Tina. Central and the Quayside tend to keep the poor out. Much better than the big market, which despite its famed reputation is a heap of Poopie.

It's over a decade since I was last up there. Do the girls still wear no clothes in freezing conditions?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

It's over a decade since I was last up there. Do the girls still wear no clothes in freezing conditions?

Yes. I've been all over the place and in Newcastle the women wear very little given the conditions. It's been -5 and I'd say most don't have a coat.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:01 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
It is better than this one bar in Newcastle, who's opening line to get you in is "topless barmaids"... This is at 12 in the afternoon before the football.

We have season tickets at White Hart Lane through work so on very rare occasions, I have to go against every sinew in my body and go to a football game. I took a couple of friends once when the customers pulled out at the last minute. My mate is a mad Spurs fan and took me to a pub behind one of the stands. It was called the Bill Nicholson, whom I was reliably informed was an ex Spurs legend. There I was minding my own business at the bar when this music pipes up and a girl gets on the bar. It was only then I noticed the pole. She started pole dancing, on a bar in a grimy pub in North London. Taking her clothes off. In a pub. Not a club, a pub. On a Saturday afternoon. Astonishing.

I wouldn't have minded so much but Dire Straits were on the jukebox when they interrupted it for her 'dance' music.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:07 pm

Tell me about it Tina. One of the strippers performing in a pub for the recent derby match ended up punching a customer because he wouldnt let her shove a bottle somewhere it should never go. Harsh...

Thought it was just a Newcastle thing, obviously not.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:11 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

I wouldn't have minded so much but Dire Straits were on the jukebox when they interrupted it for her 'dance' music.

Criminal.

Been to Newcastle. Clowt was average. The moment that sticks in my memory was been picked up in a taxi which was covered, wall to wall in pink. The bird driving the taxi looked like a right go-er. Is she well known LJ?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:16 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Criminal.

Been to Newcastle. Clowt was average. The moment that sticks in my memory was been picked up in a taxi which was covered, wall to wall in pink. The bird driving the taxi looked like a right go-er. Is she well known LJ?

Can't say I've ever shared her company. Most of them are Asains and not women.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:55 pm

Froch will win this time. Kessler is looking like someone who's lost everything apart from his punch. He looked bedraggled against Green the last time out and if he hadn't produced that wonder left hook it might have been an ugly night for him.

Mind you, on 606v2, if Froch wins he'll be lauded as having a better resume than Calzaghe and will have beaten a still prime version of Kessler. Whistle

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:23 pm

You seem to be getting a little hot under the collar about all this D, will it help if I do a top ten Brits of all time thread or poll, Wilde tends to win these things which will surely turn that frown upside down.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Is that the weird underground place, off the main strip through a shopping mall/parade type thing? Were tempted in their with 'free drinks' vouchers at about 6pm on a Saturday only to find out the promotion didn't start till 8pm anyway! Had one drink and scarpered, horrific place - like one of those clubs out of the Inbetweeners movie!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

Is Kessler still a star at SMW. I know we're continually being told of this "great rematch", but in all honesty isn't Kessler passed his best now. What has he done since the first Froch fight? Even Allan Green had him all over the place. I see an easy nights work for Froch with Kessler showing up for a final big pay cheque.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Is Kessler still a star at SMW. I know we're continually being told of this "great rematch", but in all honesty isn't Kessler passed his best now. What has he done since the first Froch fight? Even Allan Green had him all over the place. I see an easy nights work for Froch with Kessler showing up for a final big pay cheque.

It's about avenging the loss, that is all. Nobody is pretending otherwise.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Is that the weird underground place, off the main strip through a shopping mall/parade type thing? Were tempted in their with 'free drinks' vouchers at about 6pm on a Saturday only to find out the promotion didn't start till 8pm anyway! Had one drink and scarpered, horrific place - like one of those clubs out of the Inbetweeners movie!

It's to the left of Halfords which is right by the place you've described (idols). Both are equally horrific.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:10 pm

"Somebody has replied to my boxing related comment" thought I, forlornly.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:12 pm

So needy.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

Indeed.

Going home now, Happy Hatton everybody!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

Union Cane wrote:"Somebody has replied to my boxing related comment" thought I, forlornly.

Think someone swallowed a thesaurus, makes a change I suppose...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:22 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

It's to the left of Halfords which is right by the place you've described (idols). Both are equally horrific.

must shamingly say ive been to idols when i was 17.. never again! i dont even like going near newgate shopping centre.. does anyone know what sort of shops are even in there!?
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

Kessler gets too much good press.

Scared to open his mouth and bite always wants to be the gentlmen fighter.

Go away Kessler Froch don't need the likes of you.

csum.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down