The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start?

+21
Bathman_in_London
offload
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
Looseheaded
The Great Aukster
TJ1
thebluesmancometh
21st Century Schizoid Man
Liam
maestegmafia
blackcanelion
bedfordwelsh
doctor_grey
screamingaddabs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_half
gregortree
majesticimperialman
wales606
RubyGuby
RogerLewis
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you be happy with a form Wilko being Lions test 10?

Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Vote_lcap62%Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 29 ]
Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Vote_lcap38%Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 47

Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Empty Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start?

Post by RogerLewis Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:04 am

I'm starting to think now...

Why was Jamie Roberts Lions man of the series but hasn't been that effective for Wales lately?
He's not just a bulldozer but that's what Wales are making him. He started as a wing.
It's all to do with the players around you as well as your own performance.

Jamie Roberts shone because he had Stephen Jones and BOD either side of him. God we only know too well how much Wales miss Stephen Jones!! Sad

If Wilkinson is playing better than Sexton, Flood and Hook then he needs to start.Don't take someone that good as a reserve player. I would expect to see the 13 to be contested by BOD, JD2 and Tuilagi.

I think it will be criminal if the Lions lose to Australia. They are not the team of 12 years ago but we still need to send a quality squad. Mike Phillips was great for South Africa but we need a different type of scrum half for Australia.

9. ?
10. Wilkinson
11. Visser or Bowe
12. Roberts
13. BOD
14. Halfpenny
15. Kearney?

21. Could be anyone?

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Empty Re: Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:26 am

Roberts has forgotten how to offload.

In the lions tour that's exactly why he and BOD were so good together, Roberts would break tackles and get over the gain line and offload to BOD who ran intelligent lines, and vice versa.

It could well be down to coaching.

Back to top Go down

Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? Empty Re: Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start?

Post by RogerLewis Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:27 am

Definitely coaching. They both alternated 12/13 and their tactics. It was a joy to watch. Stephen Jones and Bowe were also awesome that tour.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:29 am

Wilko definately has a chance at the moment. Roberts has just come back from injury, give the guy a chance please. The Lions remains a long way off however thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:29 am

Sexton or Flood to start for the Lions

I thought Flood was very good in attack today, and Sexton was very controlling for Ireland last week.

I don't think Wilkinson will start for the Lions, he may challenge for the 3rd Flyhalf jersey - although Biggar, Laidlaw and Preistland will also want it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:43 am

wales606 wrote:Sexton or Flood to start for the Lions

I thought Flood was very good in attack today, and Sexton was very controlling for Ireland last week.

I don't think Wilkinson will start for the Lions, he may challenge for the 3rd Flyhalf jersey - although Biggar, Laidlaw and Preistland will also want it.

Priestland will be lucky to be am injury reserve at the moment and Biggar hasn't had enough international experience against tougher opposition.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:46 am

RogerLewis wrote:
wales606 wrote:Sexton or Flood to start for the Lions

Priestland will be lucky to be am injury reserve at the moment and Biggar hasn't had enough international experience against tougher opposition.

I agree. If Biggar plays the 6Ns he will have a shot, equally, if Preistland actually manages to find some form, he could still make the plane (although that seems pretty unlikely at the moment)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 18 Nov 2012, 5:44 am

It was a shame that Biggar got injured yeasterday, i thought he was doing allright.

Priestland.? Will he get selected ever again for Wales? He was terrible yesterday, kicked the ball away too many times to be honest?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm

GATLAND VOTES 'YES' Yahoo
British and Irish Lions coach Warren Gatland says Jonny Wilkinson is in the frame for the Australia tour, but Toulon's success may hamper his hopes.
Wilkinson's side are five points clear at the top of the French Top 14 and on course for the play-offs. The final takes place on 1 June, the same day as the first match of the Lions' tour in Hong Kong.

"If we take the France-based players, our preferred option is that they are on the plane with us," said Gatland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20717059

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:18 am

Well, Priestland can now be discounted, the Flood v Farrell for England debate has taken another twist and Scotland still have a scrum half playing at 10.

If Sexton gets crocked between now and the end of the season we could do a lot worse than pick Wilkinson if he keeps his good club form going. Someone made the good point on one of the other Lions threads that there is no necessity to pick for development with the Lions, so just pick the best players available in each position rather than worrying about how the side will be playing by the next RWC.

Or we could go for natural talent and pick Cipriani at 10 and Henson at 12 Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:25 am

Id say currently we have Sexton as a given

Flood/Farrell or both if they stay fit and have a decent 6 nations. Burns a s areal outsider if he does something remarkable.
Laidlaw as a utility option (allowing them to take 4 possibly)
Hook or A welshman if they have an really good 6 nations. Gatland doesnt seem to rate Biggar too highly though.
ROG

Failing that ...Wilko.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:31 am

Well it was Gatland who mentioned it.. of course the Journo probably fed the question.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Sat 15 Dec 2012, 1:12 am

He has a chance certainly. I also think he would be a fantastic guy to have in the squad and I really don't think he would mind being a dirt tracker if others look better once the tour starts.

He needs a play maker 12 though. Greenwood was the making of Wilko, and he has Giteau (sp?) at Toulon.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:29 am

Jonny would be fine. The only way to compare him against the other fly halves is to see in Lions training or early matches. Especially now that none of the competing 10s are running away from the field. Clearly he is playing well for Toulon and in my opinion would do fine for Lions.

In fact, right now, I think I would want Jonny and Stephen Jones as my Lions 10s.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 5:11 am

Doc,

Jones isn't playing regularly enough for Wasps IMO. Of the 10s currently playing International rugby Sexton is clear fave at the moment.

That said, just because a player isn't playing International rugby doesn't mean he can't be selected, if Wilkinson is playing well enough then why not.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:22 am

No

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:18 am

I have watched RC Toulon a few times and Wilkinson is not even the best English flyhalf. I really cant see him making the tour as a player. Kicking coach maybe?

He was awful last weekend against Sale Sharks, outplayed by Cipriani.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

Hook given a run at 10 would be a good shout to be back up to Sexton yet Gatland just will not give him a go at 10 for Wales, despite his good form at FH in France.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

Sexton is front runner with Flood surely. But you never know if Wilkinson keeps his consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:04 pm

Is Flood 2nd choice I thought everyone was fawning over Farrell after the NZ game?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Doc,

Jones isn't playing regularly enough for Wasps IMO. Of the 10s currently playing International rugby Sexton is clear fave at the moment.

That said, just because a player isn't playing International rugby doesn't mean he can't be selected, if Wilkinson is playing well enough then why not.
I was being a little facetious, mate, but really only a little.

I don't see viable candidates pushing on like we have with the back rows of all Home Nations. Sexton is obviously the only one playing reasonably well and consistently. After that, its a mess. And that is quite disappointing.

So, perhaps a little joke about Jones, but, to me anyway, someone not worse than most available candidates. And he is a solid pro, was a terrific player, and knows what to do when the pressure is on. As does Jonny. I think to win the Lions tour, we will need someone in the pivot who has a cool head, a proven record of performance under pressure, and the ability to keep points turning over. The other viable candidates are........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:47 pm

Poo grey poo!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm

That's the point. Poo is the word..........

But 'tis OK:
Third test, series tied, teams deadlocked as the clock ticks down:
JW in the pocket, pass comes back, the kick is up, its..........good............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm

Its not beyond the realms of possibility but I hope not. Sexton must be the frontrunner but it is true that we do not have riches to chose from. It would be limiting to play Wilkinson. I would hope for a more attacking and adventurous game plan than he can provide

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:48 am

Wilkinson was an exceptional kicker, but he's been losing that mojo for some time. Unless the Lions intend taking a leaf from the Rolling Stones book and hope to sell a few tickets to see the great man before he retires, his selection would indicate the paucity of ideas in the Lions management and how bankrupt the overall concept has become.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

Henson to bring back the legendary London Welsh/B&I Lions connection?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

I hope Wilkinson gets a run for the Lions. While sentiment may have a part in this, he is also in top form with Toulon. If you pick on form, he is in with a shout.

I wonder if he would have managed to avoid the injuries how far ahead he'd be of Carter now. Also if he hadn't played for Newcastle, instead for Leicester or Wasps, behind a stronger pack every Saturday, maybe he wouldnt have picked up the knocks.

One of the only bits of sense I ever heard come from the mouth of David Campese was when he said in 2002/03 that Wilkinson can't continue to tackle the way he did and avoid long term injury.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:I hope Wilkinson gets a run for the Lions. While sentiment may have a part in this, he is also in top form with Toulon. If you pick on form, he is in with a shout.

I wonder if he would have managed to avoid the injuries how far ahead he'd be of Carter now. Also if he hadn't played for Newcastle, instead for Leicester or Wasps, behind a stronger pack every Saturday, maybe he wouldnt have picked up the knocks.

One of the only bits of sense I ever heard come from the mouth of David Campese was when he said in 2002/03 that Wilkinson can't continue to tackle the way he did and avoid long term injury.

Wilkinson really isn't in form at all. He chastises Toulon to a ridiculous extent, he plays the way he did for england before he retired, aimlessly kicking away good ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:24 pm

Well, I've watched a few Toulon games & he looked pretty sharp. But last week, fair enough, he want great against Sale. Don't misunderstand me, while I'm a Wilkinson fan, if hes not in form, then dont pick him. Theres a lot of footy to be played before the plane leaves, and as long as the form 10 gets on, then I'm happy.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:19 am

Even if he is inform he cannot unleash the backs - he is too old, too slow and too predictable.

Picking Wilkinson says we have no imagination or adventurous game plan are prepared to lose and go for damage limitation.

He is way way down the pecking order now

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:30 am

I very much doubt that Wilkinson, Roberts or BOD will make the starting test team in Australia. In fact I will bet that Wilkinson doesn't even tour.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:36 am

offload wrote:I very much doubt that Wilkinson, Roberts or BOD will make the starting test team in Australia. In fact I will bet that Wilkinson doesn't even tour.

On current form neither should Roberts, will BODs body hold up to even be fit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:12 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
offload wrote:I very much doubt that Wilkinson, Roberts or BOD will make the starting test team in Australia. In fact I will bet that Wilkinson doesn't even tour.

Well I guess there is always a chance Bedford, but I don't think I will see these three in a Lions test shirt again.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:19 am

offload wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Well I guess there is always a chance Bedford, but I don't think I will see these three in a Lions test shirt again.

Offload

Having only just turned 26 a month ago, it would be a very big call to rule Jamie Roberts out of ever playing for the lions again.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:12 am

Maesteg,
Yes it would. However, if he doesn't make it next year it would be highly speculative to think that he'll be there 4 years later. So realistically he has be the best available in his position 6 months from now and I don't think there is any certainty in that.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:00 pm

offload wrote:Maesteg,
Yes it would. However, if he doesn't make it next year it would be highly speculative to think that he'll be there 4 years later. So realistically he has be the best available in his position 6 months from now and I don't think there is any certainty in that.

There is no outstanding option at inside centre, neither Roberts or Barritt are inspiring.

I would rather see Davies to 12 and Earls or O'Driscoll outside him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:11 pm

The thing about Wilkinson is that he is one of the very few NH players who are actually rated/respected by the SH in general. Just having him in the touring party would have an effect on the Aussies to an extent that Biggar, Flood etc wouldnt.

That said if he goes it will be as 3rd choice I would think. Sexton and then after that its currently a bit bare. Hopefully someone else will have a storming 6 nations.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:57 am

TJ wrote:Even if he is inform he cannot unleash the backs - he is too old, too slow and too predictable.

Picking Wilkinson says we have no imagination or adventurous game plan are prepared to lose and go for damage limitation.

He is way way down the pecking order now

What behind Owen Farrel, ROG and Dan Parks the most adventurous fly halves in world rugby?

Besides Sexton the cupboard is pretty bare in fit, on form and good fly halves of any nature. I would say theres a few names above his and a few capable of demanding a palcve above him but hes more relaistic than the likes of Cipriani or Henson. Its also increasingly unlikely that Preistland will tour.
The squad is big enough for 4 fly halves.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:11 am

http://www.rctoulon.com/en/recherche/?categorie=-1&rencontre=1024&joueur=-1

No Toulon are rubbish and Wilko never creates any attack picard

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:21 am

Gatland says:
British and Irish Lions coach Warren Gatland says Jonny Wilkinson is in the frame for the Australia tour.

TJ says:
He is way way down the pecking order now.

You see Mr Gatland, you have it all wrong.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:39 am

Please note that any suggestion of Cipriani and Henson as a midfield combination was made purely in jest.

Wilkinson has a chance to make the squad, simply because there aren't many good 10s available. We'll know more after the 6Ns - could be that Hook or Biggar has an outstanding tournament for Wales, Farrell disproves his critics and launches England into a dynamic running game-plan and Scotland finally start picking a 10 who can do more than kick the ball. Or it could be that Sexton get injured and no-one else steps up, leaving the Lions with Wilkinson, ROG and an out of form Flood...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:10 am

gregortree wrote:http://www.rctoulon.com/en/recherche/?categorie=-1&rencontre=1024&joueur=-1

Toulon looked much better with Michlak at flyhalf this weekend compared to wilkinson last weekend.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:01 am

My two cents.

Wales has struggled with Priestland at 10, Biggar has not had much opportunity to show his worth.

England have used Farrell and Flood, They are not the same type of 10's, Farrel is more structured and Flood more a "creative" type.

For Ireland Sexton has proven to be successful.

Scotland, I am actually not even sure who their best flyhalf is.

When you consider all these players, you will look at Sexton as a certainty, and I would expect him to be first choice at this point in time, he has been most consistent.

If you want to catch the Aussie defences out, you would need someone who has the ability to attack the line and distribute to the centres, once again I reckon Sexton has the advantage, but after him, it is Wilikenson in my view.

It also delends what Gatland would want from his 10, the safest option would be Sexton.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:33 am

Recent history confirms Gatland wants a 10 that can kick it down the pitch - doesn't matter how far - and pop up passes for inside centre and wings on the crash ball.

Gatland is a big Toulon fan - 'Wilko' looks favourite for the test XV.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:02 am

Current "pecking order"

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Wilkinson
4. Farrell
5. Flood
6. Sexton

183. Priestland Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? 3602195817
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:08 am

theslosty wrote:Current "pecking order"

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Wilkinson
4. Farrell
5. Flood
6. Sexton

I think you are being kind to Priestland. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

Biltong wrote:

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Wilkinson
4. Farrell
5. Flood
6. Sexton

I guess I'm picking on reputation rather than form... Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? 3513163098
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

theslosty wrote:
Biltong wrote:

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Wilkinson
4. Farrell
5. Flood
6. Sexton

I guess I'm picking on reputation rather than form... Does Wilko have a chance of a Lions test start? 3513163098
What reputation? Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

maestegmafia wrote:
gregortree wrote:http://www.rctoulon.com/en/recherche/?categorie=-1&rencontre=1024&joueur=-1

Toulon looked much better with Michlak at flyhalf this weekend compared to wilkinson last weekend.

True but when you have half backs who miss 12 tackles between them you could have a tin of custard look good with the ball in hand.

And Michalak isnt available for the Lions

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:16 am

Biltong wrote:
theslosty wrote:
Biltong wrote:

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Wilkinson
4. Farrell
5. Flood
6. Sexton

What reputation? Laugh

Hmmm... maybe I was a little generous. Run
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next