The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS

+22
seanmichaels
Sgt_Pooly
Cryptoyourisan
Toadfish
glamorganalun
Seagultaf
gregortree
OzT
BamBam
maestegmafia
Notch
RuggerRadge2611
Pal Joey
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
whocares
Avalon
rodders
doctornickolas
Rava
red_stag
HERSH
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wilko for the Lions

Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Vote_lcap54%Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 28 ]
Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Vote_lcap46%Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 24 ]

Total Votes : 52

Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Empty Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:44 am

After yesterday and previous form his shown this season and 'if' his fit then he'll be on the plane IMHO, maybe as cover and the midweek squad but he'll be there.

Still a class act when he has quality players around him, and his in a different league to all the other NH No10s.

WORLD CLASS. Yahoo

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Empty Re: Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS

Post by red_stag Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:48 am

I think he would be a great player to have in the squad and is as good as any of the options knocking about.

Its obviously a long way to go but if I were picking a squad right now he would have to be included.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS Empty Re: Wilko for the British & Irish LIONS

Post by Rava Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:54 am

I'm saying no simply because he has retired from International rugby.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

Anyone who votes No must be from Aus or knows nothing about rugby! laughing
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:00 am

Sexton for me is first choice but no one else is putting their hands up at the moment. So I wouldn't rule it out. My only question really is that he will not have played international rugby for 2 years by then and maybe the pace may be too much. It's all very well sitting in his armchair behind the Toulon pack but international rugby is a step up and whilst he clearly has plenty of experience of it I would be concerned at his lack of time there recently.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:03 am

Yes.

Sexton, Wilkinson and Flood for me. Priestland is behind Flood now for me on current form.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:18 am

rodders wrote:Yes.

Sexton, Wilkinson and Flood for me. Priestland is behind Flood now for me on current form.

Agree with that OK

Sexton and Flood out in front. Wilkinson is a more than able back-up and would add a great deal to the squad in terms of experience and professionalism.

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:21 am

HERSH wrote:Anyone who votes No must be from Aus or knows nothing about rugby! laughing

I voted no because I rather selfishly keep him on the T14 grounds. he wont go anyway, Toulon odds or not making the T14 semifinals are quite small...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:25 am

HERSH wrote:Anyone who votes No must be from Aus or knows nothing about rugby! laughing

Obviously I know nothing about rugby then - according to you.

There is a big step up from club to international rugby. As already mentioned playing behind a massive Toulon pack is an armchair ride, and very different from the pace and pressures australia will pose.

There are positions where you can make a push for the Lions without playing test match rugby. For me half backs are not positions where it is relevant. I understand the argument that he would be a good figure in the midweek side - but I want all the selected half backs to be pushing for a test place.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:46 am

Can we have a yes if on from button cos its not a straight yes or no.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:50 am

But he will be on form,

Because:

1) He is a professional
2) He is world class (even if he isn't playing International rugby)
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:55 am

No, I voted 'Yes' - I want to see him repeat his feats of 2001... but not 2003 obviously! Smile

Great player. I haven't seen him play for a while but from all accounts he is having a good season and his experience would be valuable.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:00 am

Your'e right, I know nothing about rugby. Don't have a clue why I bother with this site and read some of the crap written.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:05 am

HERSH wrote:
But he will be on form,

Because:

1) He is a professional
2) He is world class (even if he isn't playing International rugby)

Hersh,

As your so good at predicitng future can I have this Fridays euro lottery numbers
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:10 am

I just don't understand why people use the excuse that he isn't playing international rugby, it part of Lions tradition to take an uncapped player so why not take a retired one too.

It would upset the Aussies if Wilko is on that plane and it would take some of the spotlight of the other 10s in the squad.

Aus is a terrible place to tour as the Aussie media will go for the jugular straight away the presence of Wilko will wind them up and for that reason alone I'd take him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:32 am

No, since he has retired from international rugby.

I can't see him displacing Flood from the England 10 anyway.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:35 am

Yes I'd take him.

Also; shut up HERSH! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:38 am

Why should I shut up Notch?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:48 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:No, since he has retired from international rugby.

We're not talking about England those days are gone, unless there is an injury crisis!

But in many ways I'd say there is more pressure on Wilko playing for England than there would be playing for the Lions.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:59 am

HERSH wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:No, since he has retired from international rugby.

We're not talking about England those days are gone, unless there is an injury crisis!

But in many ways I'd say there is more pressure on Wilko playing for England than there would be playing for the Lions.

I have always rated Wilkinson, Hersh, he is a brilliantly physical 10, both in the contact and he is ferocious in defense, he also has very light hands and is normally very accurate when kicking from hand or from the tee.

However I feel being in the wilderness in terms of International test rugby for as long as he has been I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with him being selected for the Lions.

If he were recalled to the England squad (unlikely with Flood, Farrell, Hodgeson and Cipriani coming back into contention) and show that he is still international test standard I would have no problems with him being selected. I can't see it though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:06 am

What is International Test standard?

IMO he is playing with and against (most weeks) International players and he still stands out as a quality Fly half.

I don't think it would be a problem for him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:07 am

HERSH wrote:Still a class act when he has quality players around him, and his in a different league to all the other NH No10s.

WORLD CLASS. Yahoo

Your point is one that many of us have said for years, that he is "World Class" and "in a different league to all NH number 10s", "when he has quality players around him".

Most 10s look fantastic when they have great players around them.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:12 am

Not true.

Priestland looks below average at the moment with good players around him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:50 am

HERSH wrote:Not true.

Wow HERSH, after so few replies turning this into the bunfight you wanted to start by posting it you finely drop your clanger Anglo-Welsh WUM.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:57 am

maestegmafia wrote:
HERSH wrote:Still a class act when he has quality players around him, and his in a different league to all the other NH No10s.

WORLD CLASS. Yahoo

Your point is one that many of us have said for years, that he is "World Class" and "in a different league to all NH number 10s", "when he has quality players around him".

Then he should be great for the Lions Very Happy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:59 am

bambamwillis wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

WORLD CLASS. Yahoo

Then he should be great for the Lions Very Happy

MOST tens would also look good given the opportunity.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
HERSH wrote:Not true.

Wow HERSH, after so few replies turning this into the bunfight you wanted to start by posting it you finely drop your clanger Anglo-Welsh WUM.

Wrong again Mae, but it looks like you're looking for a confrontation again!

If anything it’s a compliment to the rest of the Welsh players around for making him look good back in 2011.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:36 am

HERSH wrote:

Wrong again Mae, but it looks like you're looking for a confrontation again!

Hilarious accusation HERSH...!!!

Please report me to the mods for my errant behaviour provoking you...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:58 am

Calling me a wum and hounding me on a number of posts is I believe criticising a fellow 606!

Which is against house rules.

and can lead to bans.

Maybe I will report it if it continues, thanks for the advice Mae.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:06 am

bedford, you're being a bit greedy now, Hersh, I don't need the extra millions in the euro lottery, just the normal Saturday run of the mill millions will do me thanx...

As to Wilko, I think he should go on the Lions tour, if he comes out of international retirement. Not at the starting 10, but in a close game 15 minutes to go defo. His calmness and to the point style of play will stand up well, his kicking and tackling obviously as well, and if the Lions is 2 points up near the end I think with him you'll be very confident of no silly mistakes and hold those points.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 22 Oct 2012, 7:03 am

YES, Wilko for B&IL squad.
boxing Handbags down please girls, no need for that.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:05 am

The Lions are touring in 2013 not 2003! Wilko is still a class player at Club level but so is Steve Jones and O'Gara but they wont tour either.

Wilko was a good 10 and an excellent goal kicker, but injuries and the pace of the modern game have taken their toll. He got the sympathy vote last time he toured and was rubbish, lets hope the same does not happen this time.

For me the Lions 10s will be Sexton, Flood and Priestland, with Farrell and Burns, also in the frame.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:34 am

Seagultaf wrote:The Lions are touring in 2013 not 2003! Wilko is still a class player at Club level but so is Steve Jones and O'Gara but they wont tour either.

Wilko was a good 10 and an excellent goal kicker, but injuries and the pace of the modern game have taken their toll. He got the sympathy vote last time he toured and was rubbish, lets hope the same does not happen this time.

For me the Lions 10s will be Sexton, Flood and Priestland, with Farrell and Burns, also in the frame.

Blah blah blah....

The guy is in great form and if he has good players around him which he will for the Lions (if selected) he would get the job done against Aus if we were to suffer an injury to Sexton/Flood etc.

Why do people keep repeating the same old tripe about Wilko being too old, all players should be judged on form and form alone.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:36 am

Seagultaf wrote:For me the Lions 10s will be Sexton, Flood and Priestland, with Farrell and Burns, also in the frame.
Priestland's confidence is shot. He looks a shadow of his World Cup form. Even Biggar is playing better than him.

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:49 am

Avalon wrote:would add a great deal to the squad in terms of experience and professionalism.

But that experience is all from a very long time ago, he's spent most of the last decade on the recovery bench

Avalon wrote:
Priestland's confidence is shot. He looks a shadow of his World Cup form. Even Biggar is playing better than him.
Priestland and Biggar are pretty even at the moment, both have pluses both have faults. Good to have them and Hook all challenging, they will push each other harder.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:52 am

If Priestland gets selected on current form then we are DOOMED....
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:53 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Avalon wrote:would add a great deal to the squad in terms of experience and professionalism.

But that experience is all from a very long time ago, he's spent most of the last decade on the recovery bench
True, but he's played very well since he moved to Toulon and seems relatively injury-free.

It's a slightly worrying state of affairs that we're really struggling to find back-up after Sexton and Flood though.

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:59 am

Avalon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

True, but he's played very well since he moved to Toulon and seems relatively injury-free.

It's a slightly worrying state of affairs that we're really struggling to find back-up after Sexton and Flood though.

Not really.

There is six months of rugby to be played before the squad is selected. Plenty of time for players to give a good account of themselves.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avalon Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Avalon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Not really.

There is six months of rugby to be played before the squad is selected. Plenty of time for players to give a good account of themselves.
Hope you're right!

Avalon

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:12 am

Yes, and Jonny will give a good account of himself in the next 6 months.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:26 am

I voted yes as he is a safe and does everything Preistland can't i.e., kick goals, in field kicking, drop kicks, tackle the rest they are on a par. JW in the squad to keep Preistland out, please.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 3:19 am

glamorganalun wrote:I voted yes as he is a safe and does everything Preistland can't i.e., kick goals, in field kicking, drop kicks, tackle the rest they are on a par. JW in the squad to keep Preistland out, please.

By the time selection is being made there will be a hell of a lot more players in contention. It is a shame that everyone would rather reflect on a former great player in the indian summer of his career rather than the exciting up and coming talent, Ford, Keatley, Patchell would all be much more exciting selections.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 3:24 am

You need experience for a Lions tour, to throw these guys in would hand the series to Aus.

IMO Mae. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 3:52 am

HERSH wrote:You need experience for a Lions tour, to through these guys in would hand the series to Aus.

IMO Mae. Very Happy

Maybe Wilko will get on as a physio....? He has plenty of experience of Physiotherapy...!

Just a little reminder of some comments made on a previous thread on Wilko to show just how much your point of view swings depending on which headline is flavour of the month.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Typically honest. Hes saying what anyone else could see, he just couldnt hack the pressure of international rugby anymore.

majesticimperialman wrote:Johny Wilkinson had given everything over twelve/thirteen years playing for England. he put his bodie on the line more than any other person i can think of who played for England up to 2003 rugby world cup. He should of retired then in my opinion. After 2003 rugby world cup his bodie was just about knackerd.To many injuries to play at the top of the game.

His game got back on track when he moved to toulon, although he was playing good rugby in the French league, he simply did not have what it takes to play like he did in or rather up to 2003 rugby world cup.

It is a shame that it takes a performance like England in 2011 rugby rugby world cup to make him realise that he needs to retire from international rugby.

He was one the best fly halfs in the world, but atlast time and age caught up with him, it is time to step down from the top.

He retires with the greatest respect from every one in the rugby world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:06 am

I'm in full agreement with him retiring from England we don't need him anymore, but the Lions is a different story he could do a very safe job for the Lions as a 3rd choice fly half or to close out a game.

IMO Mae Very Happy

The Lions is a very different pressure than that of a normal International, I think people are forgetting that.

Last edited by HERSH on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:07 am

maestegmafia wrote:
HERSH wrote:You need experience for a Lions tour, to through these guys in would hand the series to Aus.

IMO Mae. Very Happy

Maybe Wilko will get on as a physio....? He has plenty of experience of Physiotherapy...!

Just a little reminder of some comments made on a previous thread on Wilko to show just how much your point of view swings depending on which headline is flavour of the month.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Typically honest. Hes saying what anyone else could see, he just couldnt hack the pressure of international rugby anymore.

majesticimperialman wrote:Johny Wilkinson had given everything over twelve/thirteen years playing for England. he put his bodie on the line more than any other person i can think of who played for England up to 2003 rugby world cup. He should of retired then in my opinion. After 2003 rugby world cup his bodie was just about knackerd.To many injuries to play at the top of the game.

His game got back on track when he moved to toulon, although he was playing good rugby in the French league, he simply did not have what it takes to play like he did in or rather up to 2003 rugby world cup.

It is a shame that it takes a performance like England in 2011 rugby rugby world cup to make him realise that he needs to retire from international rugby.

He was one the best fly halfs in the world, but atlast time and age caught up with him, it is time to step down from the top.

He retires with the greatest respect from every one in the rugby world.

That's one of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen on here. Are you implying that Hersh, PSW and majesticimperialman are the same person? I'm pretty sure those sorts of accusations are frowned upon around here.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:11 am

Don't worry Toadfish I'm sure the Mods will see it at some point, Mae does seems to have a problem with me being on 606v2. Headscratch
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:17 am

Its 'cos your overtly English Hersh. Can't you change your nationality or something ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:19 am

I was referring to your, as in the masses not solely HERSH. Apologies but I thought that was pretty clear

HERSH wrote:Don't worry Toadfish I'm sure the Mods will see it at some point, Mae does seems to have a problem with me being on 606v2. Headscratch

HERSH please report me, I keep telling you. If you really think I am breaking the House Rules in anyway, report me.

I have not heard from any moderators in reflection to anything you have said you would report me for...???

It appears you are trying very hard to paint me with a reputation to equal your own. Your reputation is more likely to look like "the boy crying wolf", than be seen as anyones genuine concern.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:23 am

gregortree wrote:Its 'cos your overtly English Hersh. Can't you change your nationality or something ?

I am part Welsh, but I fear that will never be enough for some.

Please can we try to stay on topic and respect other posters views.

Thank you. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next