The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok squad depth?

+2
MMaaxx
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

Springbok squad depth? Empty Springbok squad depth?

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

The more I look at the Springbok squad selected the more concerned I am that we haven’t achieved anything regarding who our best players are or should be in certain positions. Furthermore I am not convinced that Heyneke Meyer has left no stone unturned when I look at some non selections during the year. The problem though comes from two main reasons, Pieter de Villiers was so stuck on his players that he hardly exposed enough players to the international scene for future progress.

We are now sitting in a situation where selection of new players come at the expense of loss of extreme experience to virtually none at all, this in turn has created a situation where a generation of players never had the opportunity to prove their real worth, and as such we now look at very young players who bring excitement to the game plan, but with no experience.

To build a squad you realistically need at least 3 players per position which can float in and out of the squad in case of injury or unavailability for whatever reason. The problem for Heyneke Meyer is therefor rather challenging.

Loose head props.
Tendai Mtwarira – you have to see him as the encumbent, simply because no other loose head has been given an extended opportunity and with Gurthro Steenkamp having moved north, there is uncertainty as to who will be the best back up. You just have to look at the bench options to realize that.

Hooker
Bismarck du Plessis – certainly the top hooker in South Africa, but with him being injured Adriaan Strauss had admirably stepped up and taken his position, but who is the third best Hooker in SA, certainly not Chiliboy Ralapelle, in fact why he has been in the picture for the past number of years is frankly a mystery. Tiaan Liebenberg is injured, so Schalk Brits is called up, in my view a short term solution, we all know Meyer isn’t going to call him up on a regular basis, so why not give Scarra Ntbeni or Craig burden the opportunity?

Tight Head prop.
Jannie du Plessis by virtue of no contest has been the first choice tight head for a while now, Coenie Oosthuizen is certainly the next choice, but there are once again no certainty over who will be the next best proposition.

Lock.
This is the one area I feel quite comfortable that Meyer has managed to find his best four locks, Etzebeth, v d Merwe, Bekker and Juandre Kruger all seem home at international level and on a horses for courses method usefull against any opponent, however where are the next two?
Anton Bresler has not even had a look in, what happened to Allistair Hargreaves, Steven Sykes, there is a youngster in Paul Willemse who is only 21 and a right physical beast.

Backrow
Out of necessity and also due to traditionally having depth in this are we have a plethora of young men able to fill any position, yet the question here will simply be what is the pecking order of Schalk Burger, Willem Alberts, Marcelle Coetzee, Pierre Spies, Duane Vermeulen, Keegan Daniel, Francois Louw, Heinrich Brussow and Ryan Kankowski? I don’t think it is a problem as with so many injuries Meyer’s selections will be easier, but it is important to know.

Scrum half.
Apart from Ruan Pienaar and the unsuccessful attempts with Francois Hougaard at 9, who are there, Jano Vermaak, Dewald Potgieter, Sarel Pretorius and a whole host of other players have not had a look in or any opportunity to show their worth. The problem here as in many other positions is experience, if ruan Pienaar gets injured, the next most experienced scrum half is Francois Hougaard who simply struggles to play the role of a kicking scrum half.

Flyhalf.
The talent is there, but Goosen being injured, leaves Steyn, Lambie and Jantjies, and the saddest part of all is that Meyer in his selections shows Lambie as a fullback. What more does this kid have to do to get an opportunity? You are getting the impression that it will be never.

Inside centre.
Jean de Villiers’ time is up, Frans Steyn is injured and there is nobody else experienced enough to take their place. The only other potential here is Jan Serfontein, who has not had the greatest Currie Cup.

Outside centre.
When Frans Steyn is available he plays at 12, which sees Jean (old man) de Villiers at 13, the only other regular in the 13 jersey has been Juan de Jongh, but even he has had little time in the last 12 months, what about Taute, Meyer said he sees him as a 15, once again there is no clarity, what about Paul Jordaan who has been electric this season?

Wings.
Habana and Pietersen are the encumbents and rightly so, there are any youngsters who could get a shot, the good news is Raymond rhule has been selected, but will he play? Yet Meyer has again selected Mvovo who showed distinct weaknesses under the high ball, what about Gio Aplon, Willie le Roux etc?

Fullback.
Zane Kirchner is clearly the incumbent in Meyer’s eyes, not my favourite player, but he is at least decent, is Taute the next in line, what about Louis Ludick?

All in all it seems to me that Meyer has still far to go to establish which players are his best 3 in each position, I understand injuries have played a major part in selections, and considering that he must also provide results the challenge is rather daunting.

But regardless of these issues, I don’t think Meyer is anywhere near where he should be in terms of building squad depth.

These youngsters must gain experience and be tested, it is the only way you will know who is up to the task. Currently it causes me grave concern.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok squad depth? Empty Re: Springbok squad depth?

Post by MMaaxx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

Hi Biltong

In a way the injuries Meyer has faced and players unavailable to him due to foreign commitments, while making things more difficult now, will set SA up well for the next RWC. PDiv left things in a mess and Meyer's current work should have been done then. Compare the squad handed over to PDiv comparred to the one Meyer took on. I know you have acknowledged PDiv's failings but they cannot be emphasised enough.

As you know, in SA rugby there is no time or luxury to experiment as the country demands instant success. Only losses to the All Blacks are accepted and if the Boks do lose it is expected to be a close game.

I also think Meyer would be the first to realise that depth is not what he'd want it to be currently but to be fair there is not much wrong with this squad. There will always be debate on selection and you can't keep everyone happy.

It is also important to keep in mind that you should only compare your squad to what they will face to gauge the strength of it. By comparing it to past Bok teams at different stages of development is a bit unfair. So, looking at the squad, How many England players / Irish Players / Scottish Players get in and demand a place in the match day 22? Looking at it that way, we do have a good squad (especially considering injuries and unavailable players), a squad that will improve and strengthen with experience, recalls and new additions as it is a very young squad.

Patience Biltong, Patience....don't stress man!

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:02 pm

cheers MMaaxx, I agree with you this is a rebuilding phase, but apart from lock and backrowers, we are still a long way off to be sure of what our depth is and who will be those players.

When you look crrently is is disconcerting.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:12 pm

I think we are well covered at hooker too.

Bismarck and Strauss are a good one and two. The third choices are good enough and unlikely to see much game time.

I'm pretty sure JPP with be retredded as a centre. This could free up 15 for either Lambie or Taute.

I don't like mentioning it but I think there are unofficial quotas at play keeping Zane at 15.

Props are a concern though,

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:21 pm

When you look at the current injury list at hooker, I am not so confident as you.

Bismarck out, Liebenberg out, So Strauss is the man, but who is best there after?

I wish we could have more insight into Meyer's or for that matter any SA coach as to what their thinking is.

It would make things a lot simpler and clearer if we knew which direction he is going in.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

Biltong wrote:The more I look at the Springbok squad selected the more concerned I am that we haven’t achieved anything regarding who our best players are or should be in certain positions. Furthermore I am not convinced that Heyneke Meyer has left no stone unturned when I look at some non selections during the year. The problem though comes from two main reasons, Pieter de Villiers was so stuck on his players that he hardly exposed enough players to the international scene for future progress.

We are now sitting in a situation where selection of new players come at the expense of loss of extreme experience to virtually none at all, this in turn has created a situation where a generation of players never had the opportunity to prove their real worth, and as such we now look at very young players who bring excitement to the game plan, but with no experience.

To build a squad you realistically need at least 3 players per position which can float in and out of the squad in case of injury or unavailability for whatever reason. The problem for Heyneke Meyer is therefor rather challenging.

Loose head props.
Tendai Mtwarira – you have to see him as the encumbent, simply because no other loose head has been given an extended opportunity and with Gurthro Steenkamp having moved north, there is uncertainty as to who will be the best back up. You just have to look at the bench options to realize that.

I really don't see any other players contending. Did you see what the Sharks did to WP this weekend at scrum-time. I know the WP lads are still young, but they were pushed right of the ball a few times

Hooker
Bismarck du Plessis – certainly the top hooker in South Africa, but with him being injured Adriaan Strauss had admirably stepped up and taken his position, but who is the third best Hooker in SA, certainly not Chiliboy Ralapelle, in fact why he has been in the picture for the past number of years is frankly a mystery. Tiaan Liebenberg is injured, so Schalk Brits is called up, in my view a short term solution, we all know Meyer isn’t going to call him up on a regular basis, so why not give Scarra Ntbeni or Craig burden the opportunity?

I am a WP man, but I don't think Tiaan is a long term solution for the Boks. In the S15 game against the Bulls it felt like Chilliboy dominated him. bismarck and Strauss it must be in my opinion

Tight Head prop.
Jannie du Plessis by virtue of no contest has been the first choice tight head for a while now, Coenie Oosthuizen is certainly the next choice, but there are once again no certainty over who will be the next best proposition.

The same as the loosehead position

Lock.
This is the one area I feel quite comfortable that Meyer has managed to find his best four locks, Etzebeth, v d Merwe, Bekker and Juandre Kruger all seem home at international level and on a horses for courses method usefull against any opponent, however where are the next two?
Anton Bresler has not even had a look in, what happened to Allistair Hargreaves, Steven Sykes, there is a youngster in Paul Willemse who is only 21 and a right physical beast.

Backrow
Out of necessity and also due to traditionally having depth in this are we have a plethora of young men able to fill any position, yet the question here will simply be what is the pecking order of Schalk Burger, Willem Alberts, Marcelle Coetzee, Pierre Spies, Duane Vermeulen, Keegan Daniel, Francois Louw, Heinrich Brussow and Ryan Kankowski? I don’t think it is a problem as with so many injuries Meyer’s selections will be easier, but it is important to know.

Scrum half.
Apart from Ruan Pienaar and the unsuccessful attempts with Francois Hougaard at 9, who are there, Jano Vermaak, Dewald Potgieter, Sarel Pretorius and a whole host of other players have not had a look in or any opportunity to show their worth. The problem here as in many other positions is experience, if ruan Pienaar gets injured, the next most experienced scrum half is Francois Hougaard who simply struggles to play the role of a kicking scrum half.

Flyhalf.
The talent is there, but Goosen being injured, leaves Steyn, Lambie and Jantjies, and the saddest part of all is that Meyer in his selections shows Lambie as a fullback. What more does this kid have to do to get an opportunity? You are getting the impression that it will be never.

Inside centre.
Jean de Villiers’ time is up, Frans Steyn is injured and there is nobody else experienced enough to take their place. The only other potential here is Jan Serfontein, who has not had the greatest Currie Cup.

I really thought we could get away with someone else at inside and move Frans to fullback. He really didn't have the impact that I thought he would

Outside centre.
When Frans Steyn is available he plays at 12, which sees Jean (old man) de Villiers at 13, the only other regular in the 13 jersey has been Juan de Jongh, but even he has had little time in the last 12 months, what about Taute, Meyer said he sees him as a 15, once again there is no clarity, what about Paul Jordaan who has been electric this season?

Wings.
Habana and Pietersen are the encumbents and rightly so, there are any youngsters who could get a shot, the good news is Raymond rhule has been selected, but will he play? Yet Meyer has again selected Mvovo who showed distinct weaknesses under the high ball, what about Gio Aplon, Willie le Roux etc?

Fullback.
Zane Kirchner is clearly the incumbent in Meyer’s eyes, not my favourite player, but he is at least decent, is Taute the next in line, what about Louis Ludick?

All in all it seems to me that Meyer has still far to go to establish which players are his best 3 in each position, I understand injuries have played a major part in selections, and considering that he must also provide results the challenge is rather daunting.

But regardless of these issues, I don’t think Meyer is anywhere near where he should be in terms of building squad depth.

These youngsters must gain experience and be tested, it is the only way you will know who is up to the task. Currently it causes me grave concern.

Hopefully the WP's very young front row will step up a gear in the next season or so. I don't know who really matches the Sharks in the front row now in our domestic competition. Meyer has been very unfortunate this year with injuries, but we should have atleast put the Aussies away. They were one injury away from starting to select from their high school students.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:42 pm

MMaaxx wrote:In a way the injuries Meyer has faced and players unavailable to him due to foreign commitments, while making things more difficult now, will set SA up well for the next RWC. PDiv left things in a mess and Meyer's current work should have been done then. Compare the squad handed over to PDiv comparred to the one Meyer took on. I know you have acknowledged PDiv's failings but they cannot be emphasised enough.

I am pretty sure the squad JW took over were in worse trouble. Something happened in our club scene in S15 level that instilled the believe in me that our teams can be the best and that we have the talent (the wins from the Blue Bulls primarily). But our teams have competed well since then, not only the Bulls - but the Sharks and Stormers too. I think we have a wider pool of really talented players to choose from now. I am also confident that Heineke knows what he is doing, a few players have dropped the ball and he has given them more time to prove themselves.

Consider the situation where Morne landed all his kicks and we had been unbeaten in this RC. Would every one still call for his head like everyone is doing? When Elton got the shot he also struggled to get his kicks over (same with Goosen), I can't remember Lambie having a shot.

And look at the commentators calling for Cartikilis to be in the squad now, as if he is the best thing since sliced bread. There will always be people calling for players to be replaced.

You also have to look at how Elton was shut down by WP in the semi and although Lambie did look very fluent I can't think of him putting anyone into space. I actually think WP tackled their backline backwards more often than not. Lambie did kick very well though, but so did Cartikilis.

At the end of the day HM has to decide his team, and he knows precisely how he wants to play. He can't listen to all of us, although most of us have been singing the same tune.

I think we can beat anyone that we play, we just haven't gelled as a unit yet. Chopping and changing a unit continuously isn't going to do us any favours.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm

Fern, that's the point, there are contenders but they are all very young and haven't been tested at international level, Meyer stuck to his guns and tried Greyling and Kruger, knowing full well they aren't up to standard, hence the other's missed out.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:09 pm

Biltong, what ever happened to the props out of te cheetahs. Lots was expected of Nel and Du Preez I think it was.

Regarding depth, only NZ can boast of more depth than SA.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:35 pm

MMaaxx, WP Nel has moved to Scotland, Coenie is injured, tye rest haven't impressed yet.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:01 pm

MMaaxx wrote:Biltong, what ever happened to the props out of te cheetahs. Lots was expected of Nel and Du Preez I think it was.

Regarding depth, only NZ can boast of more depth than SA.

But that is the problem for Biltong of course. He wants SA to have more depth than NZ. In fact he just wants to beat us.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:05 am

Of course. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:18 am

THe thing is Biltong that both all the SH sides are rebuilding to some extent.BUT SA and Aus have had the major share of injuries and both have given the circumstances done pretty well.Both have now the basis for a really good squadwho cares about RWCs?just one match at a time.4Ns 2013 will be much closer methinks unless the AB`s start cliicking in every match.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:57 am

Starting 15 for the first test:

1. Mtawarira 2. Strauss 3. Du Plessis 4. Etzebeth 5. Kruger 6. Louw 7. Alberts 8. Vermeulen 9. Pienaar 10. Lambie 11. Hougaard 12. De Villiers 13. De Jongh 14. Pieterson 15. Kirchner

Off the Wood:

16. Steenkamp 17. Ralepelle 18. Van Der Linde 19. Van Der Merwe 20. Coetzee 21. Steyn 22. Taute

Not a bad side at all.

Considering the above I maintain that there is some over worry regarding depth.

Add in injured players, overseas based players currently not available or selected and some serious talent left behind in SA and not selected, in general terms SA is very well covered bar at prop. All those youngters will continue to improve and come RWC2015 Eben, Lambie, Taute, Coetzee will be seasoned internationals

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:21 am

I heard Francois Louw had a neck injury on the weekend.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:23 am

It is reported today that he is fine.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Thanks for small mercies. He played really well in the last two tests, wouldn't ant him injured as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:00 am

He gives us the balance needed in the back row, always thought he was underrated while at the Stormers although he was unlucky with injury at times.

Jacques Potgieter to me is perhaps Meyer's worst selection to date and thinking back to the 6,7,8 in the away test agianst Argentina its no surprise that the Boks always seemed three steps behind their Arg counterparts.

By the way Biltong, who do you support locally?

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

Fox are showing the CC final on replay tonight. Good finals game. I'm enjoying it.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:01 pm

Glad you are enjoying it. That is probably the nicest running display of the Stormers/WP this year (although we just scored one try). Hope we can build on it.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

That was good. I expected the Sharks to win when I started watching, so always adds a bit to have a suprise result. The end with the nice counterattack out of the Sharks 22 where the ball just didn't quite go to Lambies hand was a great piece of play, then after working it all the way down field that one poor bugga knocks it on. Good finals footy. Tense for 82 minutes with some very good players on show.

Congratulations on the win FerN. 11 years since by the commentators closing remarks.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

MMaaxx wrote:He gives us the balance needed in the back row, always thought he was underrated while at the Stormers although he was unlucky with injury at times.

Jacques Potgieter to me is perhaps Meyer's worst selection to date and thinking back to the 6,7,8 in the away test agianst Argentina its no surprise that the Boks always seemed three steps behind their Arg counterparts.

By the way Biltong, who do you support locally?
No one in particular mate, I really only support the Boks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

Likewise with me although if I had to choose I'd back the Cheetahs.

What I want is to see SA sides in general playing well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Stormers can do next year with the additions of Jantjies and Taute

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:42 pm

I do have my favourite teams who I enjoy more than others.

I don't like the Bulls
I am neutral towards WP
I love the running style from the cheetahs and Lions
I enjoy the balanced play of the Sharks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:47 pm

Nice that we agree regarding the Bulls...although I'd still happy when they win the Super 15....perhaps their fans are the problem.... Smile

I fear for the Kings next year. Expect many 50 point losses

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Yeah, in the super XV it is important for me that all our teams do well, and anyone of them could win it and I will be happy.

You're right about the Bulls supporters though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

Biltong really supports the Lions but don't want to be laughed at and ridiculed anymore.

Thanks boomeranga, I was thinking that I should also become "neutral" because the WP situation was starting to be laughable as well. Well it was laughable for a while already.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:32 pm

Laugh I rather laugh at myself mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:33 am

Biltong wrote: Laugh I rather laugh at myself mate.

Smile

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:14 am

After reading some thoughts by Heyeneke Meyer over the past week it seems he is leaning toward making a change for the better and will test Lambie at fly half.

Looking at the depth and developmental areas of the back line, this certainly improves our options at 10.

Having Goosen, Lambie and Jantjies fight it out at 10 means we gain more experience with three youngsters that all have exciting skills and breaks away from the "kicking" fly half we have had for the last decade.

Meyer has also confrimed he sees Taute as a Fullback, which bodes well having certainty how Meyer sees the position at 15.

Wings are well covered with Habana, Pietersen, Mvovo, Basson and New guy Raymond Rhule.

So the midfield and half back positions must still be sorted.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down