The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok squad looking to the future.

5 posters

Go down

Springbok squad looking to the future. Empty Springbok squad looking to the future.

Post by Old Man Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:10 am

It is well known that the Boks will most likely have a significant number of players retiring from international rugby vefore the RWC 2027 comes around.

Now one thing has been proven, Rassie likes a few outliers (aged and experienced players) in his RWC squad, so it is likely that there will be at least a couple of players knocking into the middle to late 30's.

But I thought it would be interesting to look at current younger players involved with the Boks over the last couple of season who might get a look in.

Springbok possibles for 2027 aged under 30.

1. Ox Nche 28, Nthuthuku Mchunu 25
2. Malcolm Marx 29
3. Thoms du Toit 28
5. RG Snyman 29
6. Marco van Staden 28
7. Jean Luc du Preez 28, Elrich Louw 24
8. Evan Roos 23, Jasper Wiese 28
9. Grant Williams 27, Jaden Hendricks 23
10. Handre Pollard 29, Manie Libbok 26
12. Andre Esterhuize 29
13. Lukhanyo Am 29, Jesse Kriel 29, Canan Moodie 20
14. Kurtley Arendse 27
15. Damian Willemse 25, Aphalile Fassie 24

I will add to the list as I complete my research.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Springbok squad looking to the future. Empty Re: Springbok squad looking to the future.

Post by Poorfour Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:34 am

That's only 8 out of 21 who will still be under 30 in 2027, and of those only Moodie and Willemse are ones I'd recognise as regular starters.

Quite a big rebuilding project, whichever way you look at it
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Springbok squad looking to the future. Empty Re: Springbok squad looking to the future.

Post by Old Man Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:44 am

I can easily see

Front row of Nche, Marx and Du Toit, front rows can last a good number of years past 30, snyman will he there, backrow stocks are young granted, but Wiese at 32 then is not old.

Halfback Jayden Hendrikse was a regular in 2022 before injury struck, Grant Williams is new to the swuad, but is lightning quick.

Se no reason the midfield wouldn't have Am or Kriel with Moodie as development to 2027

Arendse has been regular since his debut.

sure there will need to be development, and rebuild, but we only win the cup every 12 years anyway Wink

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:05 pm

Nice one Old Man.

I do wonder if the likes of Snyman will stick around considering the injuries he has had. If the Boks are lucky enough to win this weekend he'd go out as a 2 time RWC and Lions Series winner. Motivation may be an issue for him as well as others that were part of the RWC19 squad.

Thankfully the Box conveyor belt seems as strong as ever and the continued and increasing alignment with the NH can only be positive.

Too many potential players to mention with many mentioned in the extended 2021 Lions Squad.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:55 pm

Old Man wrote:It is well known that the Boks will most likely have a significant number of players retiring from international rugby vefore the RWC 2027 comes around.

Now one thing has been proven, Rassie likes a few outliers (aged and experienced players) in his RWC squad, so it is likely that there will be at least a couple of players knocking into the middle to late 30's.

But I thought it would be interesting to look at current younger players involved with the Boks over the last couple of season who might get a look in.

2. Malcolm Marx 29
3. Thoms du Toit 28
5. RG Snyman 29
6. Marco van Staden 28
12. Andre Esterhuize 29
14. Kurtley Arendse 27

I thought Lions centre Henco van Wyk was meant to be a real prospect? Think he was a junior Bok player of the year.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:35 am

Would like to see Ruan Ackermann get a look in. Been such a steady performer for Sale. Celebrated the win against England with real gusto. Would be strange now seeing him lining up for them. His father would be a good prospect for next Book coach although they're likely to choose from the current assistants.

Nortje is also a solid prospect and I think has represented the Boks once already.

Rob du Preez is now 30 but quite a like for like replacement for Pollard based on current form.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:53 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Old Man wrote:It is well known that the Boks will most likely have a significant number of players retiring from international rugby vefore the RWC 2027 comes around.

2. Malcolm Marx 29
3. Thoms du Toit 28
5. RG Snyman 29
6. Marco van Staden 28
12. Andre Esterhuize 29
14. Kurtley Arendse 27

I thought Lions centre Henco van Wyk was meant to be a real prospect? Think he was a junior Bok player of the year.

There are a couple of midfielders who are very promsing, but with Nienaber sticking to De Llende and Esterhuize at 12 and Kriel and Am at 13 I think it is more a case of no space at the moment.

This was the A team selected to play in Europe last November

South Africa ‘A’ team to face Munster in Cork:
15 – Aphelele Fassi (Cell C Sharks)
14 – Suleiman Hartzenberg (DHL Stormers)
13 – Henco van Wyk (Emirates Lions)
12 – Cornal Hendricks (vice-captain, Vodacom Bulls)
11 – Leolin Zas (DHL Stormers)
10 – Johan Goosen (Vodacom Bulls)
9 – Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers)

8 – Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks)
7 – Elrigh Louw (Vodacom Bulls)
6 – Phepsi Buthelezi (Cell C Sharks)
5 – Ruan Nortje (Vodacom Bulls)
4 – Jason Jenkins (Leinster)
3 – Thomas du Toit (captain, Cell C Sharks)
2 – Joseph Dweba (DHL Stormers)
1 – Ntuthuko Mchunu (Cell C Sharks)

Replacements:
16 – Andre-Hugo Venter (DHL Stormers)
17 – Simphiwe Matanzima (Vodacom Bulls)
18 – Sazi Sandi (DHL Stormers)
19 – Dan du Preez (Sale Sharks)
20 – Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Cell C Sharks)
21 – Grant Williams (Cell C Sharks)
22 – Sanele Nohamba (Emirates Lions)
23 – Gianni Lombard (Emirates Lions)

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:54 am

MMaaxx wrote:Would like to see Ruan Ackermann get a look in. Been such a steady performer for Sale. Celebrated the win against England with real gusto. Would be strange now seeing him lining up for them. His father would be a good prospect for next Book coach although they're likely to choose from the current assistants.

Nortje is also a solid prospect and I think has represented the Boks once already.

Rob du Preez is now 30 but quite a like for like replacement for Pollard based on current form.

Certainly like Ackerman, Rob du Preez has an opportunity, I think 2016-17, but never got enough to make a mark, since then he fell out of favour.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:34 am

I wouldn't worry tbh. The Bulls starting pack look ready to be regulars for the Springboks. A host of them quite young too. I'm surprised the LH (Steenkamp) isn't first choice for SA now, but his time could come after the world cup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:38 am

Old Man wrote:
MMaaxx wrote:Would like to see Ruan Ackermann get a look in. Been such a steady performer for Sale. Celebrated the win against England with real gusto. Would be strange now seeing him lining up for them. His father would be a good prospect for next Book coach although they're likely to choose from the current assistants.

Certainly like Ackerman, Rob du Preez has an opportunity, I think 2016-17, but never got enough to make a mark, since then he fell out of favour.

Rob du Preez is considered quite meh. You'll still have a prime Libbok.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:13 am

You're right about Rob du Preez of old but he has hit his stride late. Solid all round flyhalf in the Butch James mould. No glaring weakness. He'd be purely as a back up's back up!

I am more concerned about coaching continuity. We saw what a poor few years did to the Boks before Rassie saved things with largely the same players.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:39 am

MMaaxx wrote:You're right about Rob du Preez of old but he has hit his stride late. Solid all round flyhalf in the Butch James mould. No glaring weakness. He'd be purely as a back up's back up!

I am more concerned about coaching continuity. We saw what a poor few years did to the Boks before Rassie saved things with largely the same players.

I don't think continuity will be an issue. Rassie has been grooming Deon Davids (who I think will be the next head coach) and also Zwandile Stick. He wants diversity in the coaching boks what wants to do it right.

He doesn't want it to be a token appointment, and believe me, Rassie will never allow an incompetent person coach the Boks again.

I also don't think the coaching staff of the Springboks will be run by one man, I believe it willbe a collective with one spokes person. Only question is how long will Rassie still be heading it all?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down