The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The elephant in the room: Who on Earth should keep wicket for the proteas?

2 posters

Go down

The elephant in the room: Who on Earth should keep wicket for the proteas? Empty The elephant in the room: Who on Earth should keep wicket for the proteas?

Post by kingraf Sat 20 Oct - 18:11

Its interesting, hey. De Villiers would be the solution in an ideal world with players who were incapable of tiring. However, this is the real world & ABs back history means he probably shouldnt keep in 50-overs, let alone Tests. Many people who only watch international cricket & IPL feel that Quinton de Kock should now suddenly fill in Tsolekiles` place. I like quinton as he is actually a friend of mine, but he is still developing. Tsolekiles glovework is easily the best in the nation. Which theoretically means he should be the #1 or #2, but his batsmanship is so below par, that it resembles a #8 bowling all-rounder. Which makes it very tough theoretically to make a case for him in the modern game. Thoughts?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

The elephant in the room: Who on Earth should keep wicket for the proteas? Empty Re: The elephant in the room: Who on Earth should keep wicket for the proteas?

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Oct - 19:25

If Tsolekile bats anything like he did in India all those years ago, the South African selectors are douing a huge disservice to the team by selecting him. His glove work was alright, by no means spectacular then. Perhaps he has improved his keeping further and there are people who feel his batting has also improved, but I do have my strong doubts, particularly on the 2nd aspect.
I don't think Quinton de Kock is ready to keep in tests as yet. Following kingraf introducing him in another thread I have been keeping a watch on his performances and I have seen even his domestic side at the moment prefers Tsolekile to keep over de Kock. His keeping seems to be on the developing stage and he has to be given enough time to continue that process and gain more experience as a batsman.
But Kuhn or Vilas are real choices available to the selectors, and I strongly feel they should go for one of them sooner rather than later. AB isn't a long term option by any means, he's one of the best batsmen in the world at the moment and he has a history of injuries. No point in risking him with the gloves, a department where he is OK but by no means outstanding.

msp83

Back to top Go down