The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out.

+5
GG
Corporalhumblebucket
anotherworldofpain
Shelsey93
Biltong
9 posters

Go down

Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out. Empty Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out.

Post by Biltong Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

I was reading this article on Cricinfo, it basically tells the tale of how SA have performed in test cricket compared to the other test nations since 2006.

It makes for interesting reading, and justifies exactly why the number 1 ranking means little to me as it is but a mere "moment in time", however the record from the Proteas are incredible and something they can be very proud about.

Here is the link to the article on cricinfo.

Enjoy.

CRICINFO
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out. Empty Re: Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out.

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

I saw that article too, and it highlights South Africa's obvious credibility as a number one team.

I would add though that you could spin the stats how you liked, and find justification for India and England being just as strong a number one team.

The away record is particularly interesting, although I think there are some caveats to it - SA played a boring series in the UAE when Pakistan were still in the midst of the spot fixing crisis, whilst England faced an in-form and rampant Pakistan spin attack; SA's two away series in India have been short and inconclusive (as have England's); I can hardly remember SA going to Sri Lanka.

Of course performance in the sub-continent is the really tough away challenge for both England and South Africa - that both have won in Australia, and had a degree of success in each other's backyards shows that those series prove less of a problem in terms of adapting to conditions.

As the writer of the article points out, South Africa's batsmen have been the stars in all this. I'd suggest that Amla's technique (well suited to Asian conditions), Kallis's experience (unruffled by Asian conditions) and the panache offered by AB de Villiers make a big difference. England have he-who-should-not-be-named to fill the AB role, but nobody in the other two. Perhaps there should be hope that in time Cook and Bell will step up and fully conquer Asian conditions themselves.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out. Empty Re: Keep the ranking, it's the Proteas' record that stands out.

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 25 Aug 2012, 12:12 am

Can we trust anything in cricket? or is it fixed beyond repair?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:...or is it fixed beyond repair?
Difficult to get my head round the concept of "fixed beyond repair".... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:14 pm

You see what I did there?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:52 am

SA's home record isn't the best.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

GG wrote:SA's home record isn't the best.
Our home record is fine, it is our record at Durban which isn't.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

GG wrote:SA's home record isn't the best.

What is it? 1 Test Series win at home since 2008.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

It's actually 3 since 2008. More importantly only 1 loss.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:36 pm

Great ODI performance today Biltong! You must be stoked with the triple 1 rating ! thumbsup

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:52 am

Cheers AWOP, I understand we are the first country wo hold all three number one rankings, not sure whether that is true though.

It is unlikely to last though, cricket is a little more unpredictable than that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 29 Aug 2012, 6:44 am

Clearly, SA are the best team in the world right now but i have felt that they were the better team than England even whilst England held the #1 spots.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:36 am

Biltong wrote:Cheers AWOP, I understand we are the first country wo hold all three number one rankings, not sure whether that is true though.

It is unlikely to last though, cricket is a little more unpredictable than that.

How did we get to be the top T20 team? I can't recall that we were ever good in it?

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:44 am

FerN wrote:
Biltong wrote:Cheers AWOP, I understand we are the first country wo hold all three number one rankings, not sure whether that is true though.

How did we get to be the top T20 team? I can't recall that we were ever good in it?

Mate we have the best win/loss ratio by quite a margin.

Since the inception of T20:

SA: played 44, won 29, lost 15 = 1.93 win/loss ratio
Pakistan: Played 55, won 33, lost 21, tied 1 = 1.57 win/loss ratio
Sri Lanka: Played 41, won 24, lost 17 = 1.41 win/loss ratio
England: Played 45, won 24, lost 19, no results 2 = 1.26 win/loss ratio
India: Played 35, won 18, lost 15, no result 1, tied 1 = 1.2 win/loss ratio
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

sa are the best without question. they've proven how they've left england behind of late.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down