The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen?

+4
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
bellchees
azania
Daz
8 posters

Go down

Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen? Empty Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen?

Post by Daz Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 10:59

Morning Chaps

What is your opinion on the position of judges during fights? Do you think they would be best placed at ringside or behind a screen?

During an episode of ESPN Friday Night Fights a few months ago - they showed the same punch between 2 fighters from the perspective of the 3 judges (all 3 angles). They were all quite contrasting to each other. One judge saw the punch, another saw a scuffed punch and the third couldn't see it at all.

Now I personally believe that seeing the fight from behind the screen is better that seeing it from an angle potentially hidden from you due to your seating position. Due to the sheer number of camera's at ringside you are always going to see every punch at all times - surely this is better?

I suppose there is a risk of judges behind closed doors being a bit murky but surely this can be countered with invigilators from sanctioning bodies or the boxing board etc.

What are you thoughts?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen? Empty Re: Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen?

Post by azania Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 11:11

Good idea. Let them have monitors in a booth. Somehow they'd still botch it up I reckon.

azania

Back to top Go down

Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen? Empty Re: Should judges be at ringside or behind a screen?

Post by bellchees Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 11:26

Could work unless they are only shown what HBO wants them to see.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 11:28

Well it should be the same stream we see at home - so they should be able to see everything. Surely it will reduce a significant number of errors?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 12:07

Wouldn't make a difference. It doesn't matter where you sit at a live fight, you know who is winning if it is obvious.

It isn't as if the 2 fighters are standing in the exact same spot for the whole fight. They move around constantly and the judges will always see who is throwing more, countering more, doing the better work etc.

We can't see into the minds of most judges so its impossible to say whether they prefer a certain fighters style/personality before the bell even rings. So the fighter they don't care as much for will not get the attention of them because they could be watching the other guy's work.

As mentioned, there would still be outrageous decisions regardless due to the promoters waving carrots in their faces to help their fighters.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 12:34

not a bad idea and know what you mean about judges not seeing key moments but i guess it'll always be that way.

It would be good for the judges to somehow not be exposed to the spectator noise i.e. avoid being influenced by a home fighters biased fans.

Also i would love to see more 10-10 rounds given. Many times there are very even rounds and then at this point it's easy to award it to your favorite of the two by slim margins.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 15:48

bellchees wrote:Could work unless they are only shown what HBO wants them to see.

I dont understand how this is possible?

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 15:56

I think he means in regards to replays etc
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 15:59

Even if replays weren't part of the footage available - surely every judge seeing exactly the same thing is a good thing?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 16:15

But then how do we know that all 3 judges won't miss certain punches (as suggested in he OP) due to all 3 of them looking at the wrong angle on a screen?

The screen could show a fighter on the ropes and the camara could miss work going on inside, whereas at least 2 judges should be able to get a view of this.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 16:23

Consistency? Not perfect I know - but it would be a step in the right direction. Besides it's very difficult to miss a punch on camera.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 16:41

Three judges with three different viewpoints often give three different scores, so effectively at least two judges must be scoring the fight incorrectly.

If the judges are looking at the same thing on a screen, why have three judges at all, surely one would do?

Or why not do away with them altogether and just have the referee score the fight? He does, of course, have the best view in the house.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 3 Oct 2012 - 16:47

Suppose being impartial may be the answer to that Union. Having 3 people might help in this case.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 4 Oct 2012 - 18:50

Behind a screen........

We had a show in the US which came over here called blind date!!!

Where a chick asks questions and then finds out she's picked the ugly moron out of the three contestants to party with!!

Maybe after a Boxer loses a decision he can get three questions and then end up guessing which of the Judges behind the screen shafted him the most on the cards!!!

so he can have a good kicking!!

Could catch on I'm telling you!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 4 Oct 2012 - 20:41

Laugh

Haha! Like it Truss!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down