The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do referees/judges earn?

+2
Adam D
Pedro147
6 posters

Go down

How much do referees/judges earn? Empty How much do referees/judges earn?

Post by Pedro147 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:04 am

With all the talk being about the US judge Ortiz and how Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn has certain organisations sweetened up, just thought I'd share Dan Rafael's latest blog on the pay for officials for The One card. I must be honest, they earn a lot less than I thought...

Most of us know by now that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the highest-paid athlete in the world and that he will rake in a record purse for his junior middleweight unification showdown with Canelo Alvarez on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The rest of the purses for fighters on the card will be known when the contracts are filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission later in the week.

But one question I often get from readers is what do the referees and judges make? Well, they are certainly not going to get rich or land in Mayweather's tax bracket.

When the Nevada commission assigns officials to work world title fights, it also sets their pay scale. So when the officials were assigned to the three world title bouts on the Mayweather-Alvarez card, their pay was also set at the public meeting. Because this is a huge card, this is the top-of-the-line pay Nevada officials receive. They would make less for a smaller show.

Kenny Bayless, the referee for the main event, will earn $10,000. Judges Dave Moretti, C.J. Ross and Craig Metcalfe each will make $8,000.

For the co-featured Danny Garcia-Lucas Matthysse junior welterweight title fight, referee Tony Weeks will make $3,150 and judges Robert Hoyle, Glen Trowbridge and Juergen Langos will be paid $2,450 each.

For the Ishe Smith-Carlos Molina junior middleweight title fight, referee Jay Nady will receive $2,000 and judges Adalaide Byrd, Burt Clements and Barry Druxman will earn $1,600 apiece.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

How much do referees/judges earn? Empty Re: How much do referees/judges earn?

Post by Adam D Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:28 am

On top of that, there will be "expenses".

There is a big difference between spending a few nights at a Travel lodge with a voucher to eat at the Beefeater below and a nice hotel, nice restaurant etc

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:53 am

That's not too much really. Depends how many fights they do i suppose.

If Kenny does ten big fights a year then he'll rake in $100,000 a year which is steady for 360 minutes graft.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

it's decent money for essentially doing what we do while watching fights for free.
doesn't seem like there are any standards they adhere to in terms of quality of work.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:19 am

Based on Ian John Lewis,id agree Oasis.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 10 Sep 2013, 11:14 am

So worst case scenario, one of those judges gets $1,600 for 47 minutes work. So that works out at $2,042.45 per hour for a job with zero risk, zero accountability and zero professional status.

Where do I sign up?

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

Richard Steele earned well from the Chavez/Taylor fight!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I can imagine a few thousand plus expenses is fine especially if you are a boxing fan. I would love to be called and offered flights to USA, accommodation and the best seats for a huge boxing fight, all paid for plus a few grand in your pocket!

Plus it appears you can take a back hander, completely man sausage up the scoring and have no comeback!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm

Refereeing a Tyson fight would be a good pay out.....id imagine.....you wouldn't want to break anything ip!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down