The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Judges override a ref's decision?

4 posters

Go down

Can Judges override a ref's decision? Empty Can Judges override a ref's decision?

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Morning Folks

I have a question regarding Judges and Refs.

If a referee calls a knock down which clearly wasn't a knock down (I'm thinking Pacquaio/Mosley), do the judges have to score it as a knock down? Or can they over ride the incorrect decision?

Has anyone seen any examples of this?

Cheers
Dazstarr

Daz

Back to top Go down

Can Judges override a ref's decision? Empty Re: Can Judges override a ref's decision?

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Well they obviously can as they did in that fight.

But in the rules, only the referee can decide whether there has been a knockdown. They definately can't score a knockdown if it hasn't been called, but perhaps they aren't obliged to score the round accordingly if there was. But every explanation of the 10 point must system shows knockdowns affecting the scoring.

What it should be is 10-8 if you win the round with a knockdown, but 10-9 if you lose the round fairly decisively but knock your opponent down.

Link for the 10-9 scoring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzW6n3vD1Po#t=2m30s

Section 25f http://www.wbo-int.com/revised/WBO_Rules_Regulations.pdf "Only the referee may determine whether there has been a knockdown"
Judging section http://www.abcboxing.com/documents/abcboxing_regulatory_guidelines.htm "Judges shall deduct points for knockdowns only when they are called as such by the referee."

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Can Judges override a ref's decision? Empty Re: Can Judges override a ref's decision?

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks for that Scott. I'll have a read of the links too. I was sure a judge in that fight gave MP 120 pts but couldnt remember. The ref must have thought - what the fk! haha.

Nice one.

thumbsup

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 pm

For that round, none of the judges agreed. One had it 10-9 Mosley (correct IMO, even though it wasn't a KD it was called as such by the referee), one had it 10-10, the other had it 10-9 Pacquiao.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Always thought only ref could could confirm a legitimate knockdown or for points to be deducted.

But judges have and do still score 10-9 rounds even if a guy has been knockdown if the guy who was knocked down dominates the round.

And they also score 10-8's for rounds without knockdowns even if there wasn't a knockdown.

An example of this is Khan vs Maidana where in the 10th i think where khan was battered pillar to post but wasn't knocked down, all 3 judges scored it a 10-8 round for Maidana.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

How random!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

I think the only area of contention is whether they can ignore a knockdown in their scoring if they don't agree. I would say it's a loophole in the rules, so technically they can, but it isn't intended.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 pm

It was good to see the judges show a bit of common sense in the Pacquaio fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:It was good to see the judges show a bit of common sense in the Pacquaio fight.

Agree mate - Boxing ref's seem to be getting worse and worse recently. Particularly British ones.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 9:48 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:It was good to see the judges show a bit of common sense in the Pacquaio fight.
Were you pleased with IJL in the Hopkins fight? Technically they were KD's but Pascal was off balance too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Scott i've not had a chance to view Hopkins/Pascal 2 yet but does IJL stand for the british ref Ian John Lewis.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah. And get watching, great performance!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes it does Galveston - and I wasnt Scott - at least 1 of them should have been counted. From the way I understand it - if you were off balance and a punch makes you touch down - its a KD - no question. Probably both should have counted really - but i would need to watch them again.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Both were the same in that he was off balance, but a shot was landed. Technically they were definite knockdowns, but Hopkins didn't think they were in reality. Debateable if it's best to count them or not.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Will do Scott, got it taped on Sky+, looks like i need to get a look at these knockdowns too.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down