The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

+22
Pot Hale
WillyGilly
The Great Aukster
MBTGOG
SecretFly
asoreleftshoulder
Pete330v2
Cari
theshanker
red_stag
Rory_Gallagher
wolfball
valjester
clivemcl
pete (buachaill on eirne)
MrsP
Rava
1F'sgonnagetya!
Kingshu
Notch
rodders
Don Alfonso
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill - Page 2 Empty Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

So - the two powerhouse provinces go to war. I expect a niggly, ferocious scrap before Saturday’s somewhat less exciting digestif, when Munster and Leinster will determine who’s the third best province in Ireland.

Really looking forward to it, although Dan Park rising from the Western mist has caused a bit of consternation. Connacht looked quite a different unit last weekend.

Assuming an ongoing injury list of Birch, Diack, Fitzpatrick, Wilson, Allen (and obviously McAllister and Farrell), and with the HEC on the horizon, I’d go for:

1) Court
2) Brady
3) Afoa
4) Muller
5) Tuohy
6) Ferris
7) Henry
8) Williams
9) Marshall
10) Jackson
11) Trimble
12) Wallace
13) Cave
14) Bowe
15) Payne

And a bench of:

16) Black
17) Best
18) Macklin
19) Stevenson
20) McComish
21) Heaney
22) Marshall
23) Gilroy

Harsh on McComb and Henderson, given their performances, but there’s only 23 spaces.

McComish’s knowledge and experience of the Connacht players pushes him onto the bench ahead of Henderson. On the other hand, if 1F is still out, I’d actually start Henderson, I think.

At the start of this season I was frustrated we’d lost Barker and kept McComb – completely wrong on that one. He’s shown dog, good defensive skills and some great passing and off-loading. I’d be happy to see him play – but Stevenson has been seriously impressive so far, and Tuohy came right back with a massive bang last week (I especially enjoyed Ryan Constable referring to him “emptying” people).

Best to come off the bench and get at least half an hour. Not 100% sure which of Gilroy or Trimble would start – I do think Trimble’s defence is better, and Connacht have some impressive young backs. Gilroy dancing past tired defenders was a highlight last week – can we just replicate that?

Anscombe will probably start some weird team that still works well, however.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:24 am

Team announced

(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, D Cave, P Wallace, A Trimble; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, J Afoa, L Stevenson, M McComish, M Heaney, L Marshall, C Gilroy.

Pretty much strongest possible XV bar Afoa. Good to see Declan get more gametime and Afoa deserves a rest.

Will Connacht be pumped after thrashing Leinster? Or down after the news of Elwood?

Either way, discipline always needs to be good when playing against Dan Parks.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabo Pro 12 (Round 6) - Ulster vs Connacht: 19:05 Fri, 5th October @ Ravenhill

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:24 am

Also, great to see Rory back! Smile

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:26 am

I suspect Ulster will win VERY comfortably.

I think that away in Ravenhill, trying to put in back to back performances, Ulster coasting along with a near full strenght team.

30 point margin.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:42 am

Staggy if only.
Those Westies aren't to be taken lightly but I hope we have a bit too much for them to handle. I can't imagine a 30 point margin but with that Ulster lineup who knows.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:45 am

Connacht have been sticky at Ravenhill the past few years. They'll boot the ball to the corners, the pack will bring plenty of vigour and intensity to proceedings, they'll make us play from deep and exploit mistakes. They'll go out there with a gameplan to make life as hard for us as possible. To stymie our momentum, make us try and build from deep in our own half, slow our ball down, turn the rucks into a lottery.

It's been fifty years since Connacht won at Ravenhill. Can you imagine? Fifty years. And under Michael Bradley, it looked it. They didn't look like they believed they could win. Since Elwood came in, when they come to Ravenhill, they look like they want to be the Connacht team that lays that record to rest. Every time. And we've still beaten them, we've still been good enough to prevail. But once we start taking that for granted... they may not have been good enough to beat us in the last two or three years. But they've certainly played well enough to deserve respect.

Oh it's going to be a good game. A good game indeed! I see us winning to be honest, laying down a marker for the Heineken Cup. I don't think hard rucking and high balls will faze us in the way they need to and of they choose to play an expansive game we've shown we can do that as well. It's the tactical and goal kicking of Dan Parks that is key. We close him down, get to him- we'll take it. Can't wait.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:54 am

It's ideal to have Rory Best in for this one. His breakdown work and physicality in the rucks, mauls and scrums is a level above our other hookers. Not expecting too much of him in his first game since the Summer Tour but he does add a hard edge to an already pretty handy front row.

This is going to be a full-blooded interpro and the week before the Heineken Cup really hoping to see himself and Ferris show why they are being talked of as potential Test Lions come next summer!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:55 am

Don't think it will be that big a win red stag, Connacht will be playing thier first choice team getting ready for H-cup, and I expect them to be dangerous.

Any win against Connacht at present is a good win

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:57 am

Kingshu wrote:Any win against Connacht at present is a good win

Do you think? Personally I feel they have regressed a little this year and have been pretty underwhelming apart from the Leinster match.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

Yeah, I feel that way too Stag, but the Leinster match is a warning. They have been inconsistent but when they will pull the occasional big performance out of the hat. And I've seen how pumped they are when they come to Ravenhill, how much they desperately want to beat us there. No lack of motivation.

It's like how Ireland sometimes only perform against England in the 6N. They save their best for their biggest rivals. Now Connacht are the same in all the interpros- Stags question of whether they can do it two weeks running is a very relevant one.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

Rava wrote:
rodders wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvntwTYEMo&list=UU4EvohuiwgkUV1v03DDD4eQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Gutted can't make it down for this one.

SUFTUM.

What!! no pints this week? I'm gutted as well Sad

I'll be down the following week for the Castres match if that makes you feel any better.... Whistle

For tomorrow I'm stuck with Neilly, Constable and co Crying or Very sad

Thats a grand old team Anscombe has selected if I say so myself Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm

Notch wrote:I think Foley should go for it. Build up a profile of his own, he's served a good apprenticeship already. He should back himself to take Connacht on. And then when the Munster job comes up again- he goes for it.

I'd agree with this,especially as he'll have served a year under Penney at that stage.While he won't have learned everything Penney can teach him he'll have got a lot of it and I think you have to make your own mistakes as a head coach too,like any jobs there are parts of it that you only find out about when you're actually in the role.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

Yeah, I'd say I was largely under-impressed and a little disappointed in Connacht up until the Leinster game.

But then, I felt the same way with Leinster even after the Connacht game (obviously). Meaning that if I'm still hoping Leinster now can liven up and kick on (with more potential firepower than Connacht, to be sure) then Connacht too could be at the beginning of a bit of a splurge.

Do I believe it - against Ulster? Hmmmm............. it's a big ask given the way Ulster are concentrating at the moment. Connacht might have a few more games in them this season that shock people but I have a feeling next weekend won't be one of them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm

I like Rabo Pro12's tweet:

RaboDirect PRO12 ‏@RaboDirectPRO12

#RaboPRO12 Teams: @Ulsterrugby at near full-strength is quite frankly, scary. #rugby http://tinyurl.com/d7xwy6a

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm

It is a pretty scary side to go up against. I mean I can't remember ever being so impressed with an Ulster line up. We have class in every position and for a pleasant change we seem to know how to make the best of that class. Cannot wait for the next few games, we are heading for world domination I tells ya Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm

*Yawn* AP is still best, my friend. Even the SHers admit that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

What is exciting looking at the Connacht team is from jerseys 12-15 is young Irish talent and three of those are Connacht men.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

I have enormous respect for Connacht and what Elwood has achieved since taking over from Bradley. That said they do lack the quality and consistency to be a top six side. Can they produce another performance like last weekend? On the road, I'm not sure they can.

Under Anscombe so far this season there has been a different mindset to the Ulster team. I believe their concentration levels have risen dramatically. There are fewer silly mistakes and penalties being given away. We are better placed now to take advantage of other teams mistakes. More clinical.

I don't think we will win by 30 points but I do think there will be daylight between the teams.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

Are there any thoughts on the Marshall/Wallace and Trimble/Gilroy selections? Is Anscombe going to rotate the players each game or is he going to stick with experience? This is the third game in a row that Gilroy hasn't started. He will suffer if he is no longer a HEC starter.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:18 pm

Connacht team
Connacht: .R Henshaw; T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; D Parks, K Marmion; B Wilkinson, A Flavin, R Loughney; M Swift, M McCarthy; D Gannon, W Faloon (capt), G Naoupu

Faloon captain? thats a surprise, in about his 3rd game for them. not making team at start of season.

Well done Faloon

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

Elwood, you and your mind games. warning

Seriously though, hats off to Faloon.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:24 pm

Oho, it just got interesting!

Faloon as Connacht captain? Very interesting sub-plot. I think we might just be in for a very tasty, full-blooded inter-pro tomorrow night guys. Hold onto something!

Just what both sides need before the Heineken Cup.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

Great man management form Elwood to give Faloon the captains armband for this one. Should be a cracking battle between him an Henry.

If thats our HEC backrow I'll be a happy camper Smile .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

Deccie F injured, Afoa in. Starting to think we need a new TH on top of everything else. Hope Macklin gets a spell, if possible.

Faloon as captain is nicely pointed, but I'm not convinced he'll actually do a great job of captaining.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:Starting to think we need a new TH on top of everything else.

From what I've heard Ulster definitely need a new TH and possibly two.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:47 pm

Good to see you back Aukster guinness

This is Macklins opportunity to show what he can do.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:57 pm

Kingshu wrote:Connacht team
Connacht: .R Henshaw; T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo; D Parks, K Marmion; B Wilkinson, A Flavin, R Loughney; M Swift, M McCarthy; D Gannon, W Faloon (capt), G Naoupu

Faloon captain? thats a surprise, in about his 3rd game for them. not making team at start of season.

Well done Faloon

Nathan White was captain for the last game, Duffy is injured atm and Muldoon still isn't back, I would expect him to take over when he is.

Ulster should win this game comfortably enough, Connacht seem to have some type of mental block against us, and perform well below their best. When you add in the amount of injuries they have, we should be looking to beat the spread. Saying that I doubt a fully fit Connacht side would be able to beat us.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:28 pm

I hope this lad Jack Caulfield who's signed makes a good tighthead. But he's only 19.

Poor Deccie Fitz. In New Zealand, he showed just what a good tighthead he can be- but he just goes from injury to injury. What's holding him back from being a top tighthead has always been his fitness. But he can't work on his fitness if he's always in and out of rehab. And Ulster can never depend on him as a first choice if he's always in and out of rehab.

Hence the necessity in the past few years for John Afoa and BJ Botha. Sad but true. After an ok performance against the Ospreys I hoped he'd kick on. But he's been injured since then only to recover sufficiently for this week... and picks up another injury Sad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:52 am

Notch wrote:I hope this lad Jack Caulfield who's signed makes a good tighthead. But he's only 19.

Poor Deccie Fitz. In New Zealand, he showed just what a good tighthead he can be- but he just goes from injury to injury. What's holding him back from being a top tighthead has always been his fitness. But he can't work on his fitness if he's always in and out of rehab. And Ulster can never depend on him as a first choice if he's always in and out of rehab.

Hence the necessity in the past few years for John Afoa and BJ Botha. Sad but true. After an ok performance against the Ospreys I hoped he'd kick on. But he's been injured since then only to recover sufficiently for this week... and picks up another injury Sad

Loosehead I think.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:52 am

I had heard he played loosehead for Ulster U20s but was a tighthead. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way- I hope he does well!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Oct 2012, 6:03 pm

I cannot wait for this one. There are plenty of interesting things to look out for in this game. Faloon as captain and his battle with Henry is a big one. I am also curious to see if Williams can pull another great performance out of the bag. Is this his first chance to play with both Henry and Ferris?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:08 pm

Big match tonight. First home game since what happened. Finally after all of this stuff should die down. Record crowd. One final big effort. Plans for a round of applause at the 13th minute.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

Connacht guilty of meerkatting at the back of the scrum. Ulster demolish them for the penalty.

3-0 to the home team.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

Yikes,Ulster scrum mangling Connacht 3 times already.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:26 pm

Clancy is making a pig's ear of reffing the scrums. Ulster went early that time on his call and he resets after penalising Connacht three times for it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

Griffin really is a very classy player.

Edit; and then he does that.

Last edited by valjester on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

You can't help but think that if Connacht got 3 or four top players in from around the provinces, they'd be able to compete very well in the league and Amlin.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

Pot Hale wrote:You can't help but think that if Connacht got 3 or four top players in from around the provinces, they'd be able to compete very well in the league and Amlin.

They're suffering a bit from injuries atm, and there pack isn't as strong as it could be, but there are definitely players on the bench for the other provinces that would star for Connacht.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

I'd still expect us to win with a BP, don't rate Marshall at all though, grand for the last few minutes, but not want you want all game.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:34 pm

God it's scrappy. Big difference for both sides from last week.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

Connacht need a good 2nd choice TH. White is going to be vital for connacht in the HC

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Trimble doesn't seem to know how to run straight when it's needed. He does this crabbing sideways move which makes it easier to tackle and stop him.

Himself and Payne are not clicking at the moment. That's two key passes gone astray.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Tony Ward is clueless, how he is still employed is scandalous. RTE's rugby commentary is terrible.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

Woohoo, try coming, one way or another unless we screw it up.

We screwed it up Crying or Very sad

Last edited by valjester on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

And Trimble delivers this time. Better running almost to the line , finds a gap and passes to Marshall. Forwards drive him over the line.

But held up. 5 metre scrum. Ulster pressure on. Connacht service the first. Reset.

Scrum wheels, Williams tries to take. He's held. Connacht defending like dogs. Ulster win the ruck and Marshall fires it out to Wallace. He passes, tackle and Connacht win a penalty at the breakdown. Well resisted bythe men in green.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

Connacht mess the penalty. Ulster retrieve and attack. Payne down the left touchline and passes to Trimble who is hit straight on. Ball into touch. Ulster throw on the thirty minute mark.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

Touhy takes, Ulster drive, and over the line. But Clancy calls back for infringement and yellow cards Dave Gannon. Clancy claims he had blown the whistle. Don't understand that one. Ulster penalty scrum. Connacht down to seven men. Connacht collapse and another penalty. Penalty try coming up?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

That should have been a penalty try, no need for the continued resets, we all know what is about to happen.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

Very impressed with robbie hensaw. Very good prospect.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:48 pm

Only at matter of time before Ulster get a try by the looks of things.

Connacht defending doggedly but they'll struggle unless they can get some possession and get a break from defending.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:49 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Very impressed with robbie hensaw. Very good prospect.

Yep, probably going to be Irish 13 for the u20s, if Farrell is back fully fit, the two of them in the centre will be tasty.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next