The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unlimited technology

4 posters

Go down

Unlimited technology Empty Unlimited technology

Post by bogbrush Fri 28 Sep 2012, 7:09 am

There's sometimes a debate about whether strings and racquets have gone too far in changing the game. I believe that but others don't.

Okay, let's look at it another way.

Lets say that coming onto the market is a new racquet with a revolutionary string; with this you can alter tension shot to shot, grip and hold the ball long enough to pull a wide shot round and slingshot, but all with one motion, one hit, as the rules dictate. With this new gizmo you can hit a full power shot from any position, just so long as you can reach the ball. An end to weak returns from extended positions.
Even better, these strings allow transmission of even greater revs per minute; even a top 200 player can achieve Nadal-esque spin. Such spin as to be able to routinely make the ball shoot backwards from a soft hit shot.

Now any player can play almost my shot he can imagine, just so long as he reaches the ball.

Are we in favour?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Unlimited technology Empty Re: Unlimited technology

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:00 am

I think that works on the assumption that the string does the most work. Look at the top 4 and the racquets they use and the tensions and material. So very very different. The good thing about tennis is that still it relies on the players hands. I remember using a Head Radical back in 2006 and sprayed the ball long everytime I went for power. I then turned to Babolat which matched my game. My ex-partner used a Yonnex and never once went for any other brand.

Strings are only part of the argument. Racquet weight and again racquet material. I think it is more complex than just strings.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

Interesting thread BB, will answer when I have time thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I think that works on the assumption that the string does the most work. Look at the top 4 and the racquets they use and the tensions and material. So very very different. The good thing about tennis is that still it relies on the players hands. I remember using a Head Radical back in 2006 and sprayed the ball long everytime I went for power. I then turned to Babolat which matched my game. My ex-partner used a Yonnex and never once went for any other brand.

Strings are only part of the argument. Racquet weight and again racquet material. I think it is more complex than just strings.
OK, the direction of the article is to ask "if technology went way further than now, and facilitated all sorts of stuff like that, would you be for it?".

Feel free to add whatever technology initiatves you can conceive of; maybe share them with the forum so we can understand, I'd certainly benefit from that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 4:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I think that works on the assumption that the string does the most work. Look at the top 4 and the racquets they use and the tensions and material. So very very different. The good thing about tennis is that still it relies on the players hands. I remember using a Head Radical back in 2006 and sprayed the ball long everytime I went for power. I then turned to Babolat which matched my game. My ex-partner used a Yonnex and never once went for any other brand.

OK, the direction of the article is to ask "if technology went way further than now, and facilitated all sorts of stuff like that, would you be for it?".

Feel free to add whatever technology initiatves you can conceive of; maybe share them with the forum so we can understand, I'd certainly benefit from that.

I would dislike any technological advance that would take the advantage from the players hands and put it into say the racquet by merely making it accessible to less talented players and setting the standard of play which can achieved by any type of player.

For example I wouldn't want to see bigger balls or even durable balls for that matter. I would hate to see a racquet which generates such control that it requires no feel or touch from the player holding it. I fear that a certain string, racquet that everyone can use which can generate the same standard of play will dictate futures ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:47 pm

It's an interesting thread. I don't know. I'd have to see it in action to decide.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

The question is how far do we let it go before controls are brought into place?

Strings have changed the tour remarkably since around 2002....even helping propell Agassi back to #1 again in 2003. Many argue the new poly strings at the time gave Kuerten his advantage at French Open, and elsewhere.

I don't see why ATP can't put into place some guidance on specs...why keep them open ended? Does tennis still rely on the players hands? If youngsters can't break through because they can't compete the physicality of older players this tends to suggest that hand-skill isn't the defining factor...and that current racquet/string set-ups help the older player maintain their power edge.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down