The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taken too far? Or good use of Technology?

5 posters

Go down

Taken too far? Or good use of Technology? Empty Taken too far? Or good use of Technology?

Post by AlastairW Wed 02 May 2012, 10:46 am

An interesting article/analysis on Auntie today about a new partnership (of sorts) between Tigers & IBM:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17867961

With more sports analytics than ever before in both pre- & Post match commentaries this is showing a much deeper integration of software into not only the fan banter, but creeping further and further into managment decisions. New IBM software in conjunction with chips that you can fit into a pair of boots these days and we'll see technology in real time, for post analytics, for management - for every aspect of the game.

For me, i don't see the problem with using technology to 'enhance' the game, or get the most out of what you have, but a complete reliability on it would take the magic out of it somewhat.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Taken too far? Or good use of Technology? Empty Re: Taken too far? Or good use of Technology?

Post by Biltong Wed 02 May 2012, 12:51 pm

Perhaps, but work rate these days are important to measure considering the depth some countries have in certain positions, if it helps measuring that, it provides a coach a lot of usable info.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Taken too far? Or good use of Technology? Empty Re: Taken too far? Or good use of Technology?

Post by robbo277 Wed 02 May 2012, 2:18 pm

I don't mind this.

On the pitch it will still come down to a gut instinct, a snap decision of a player - "pass, run or kick". And the player making the right decision will produce a magical moment and win the match.

But this innovation should help keep the best players on the pitch for longer, meaning we can see a higher class game with a higher potential for something special deciding a close game (rather than an individual error if weaker players are on the pitch).

Obviously this won't eliminate injuries altogether, but hopefully it will help assess player burnout and breakdown and give coaches better ideas of how players are coping.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 May 2012, 9:43 am

The problem with this for me is the psychological aspect. They hope the technology will be able to provide info about a player's psyhological state of mind, e.g. stress from social and environmental factors, anxiety, etc. Are we going to see players missing games because of high stress levels, or they're too anxious about the game, etc., just as they would miss the game with a physical injury??? Could a conditioning coach make that call? If so, where do we stop?!

Stress and anxiety are factors inherent in sport. It's what gives us home advantage, mistakes under pressure, etc. If we weed out the weak players who are not perfect, who are not able to cope with the pressure of a big fixture or the cauldron of a hostile away venue, then we are left with robots who do not make mistakes. Without mistakes you do not have opportunities to score, and the game will become even more boring than it has started to become.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 04 May 2012, 8:13 pm

That's actually a superb post. Imperfection brings its own beauty. We are human. Not robots. Not yet anyway.

I have no problem with technology helping players and the game itself. To progress, to be healthier, to monitor and control any iminent danger. It is happening at all the top clubs now. All top players are being strictly monitored - at every level. But, I'd be wary of what the OP's article involves. It could be misused. As with all detailed information.

This statement from the quoted link, worries me. Not as it is, but where it could go.
"Sport is no longer just a game, it's becoming more and more a scientific undertaking which is driven by data and numbers. Gone are the days of relying on raw talent and gut instinct to succeed." commented Jeremy Shaw, business analytics lead for media and entertainment at IBM.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 9:15 pm

Feic off Jeremy Shaw.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down