The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept

+16
Manky-Flanker
justified sinner
LeinsterFan4life
RDW
GLove39
Artful_Dodger
Kingshu
Dorothy_Mantooth
21st Century Schizoid Man
reallybored
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Cryptoyourisan
TJ1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
UlstermaninGlasgow
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept Empty Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY CONNACHT IN THE RABODIRECT PRO12 AT SCOTSTOUN STADIUM ON FRIDAY 21 SEPTEMBER (KICK-OFF 7.35pm)

15 Peter Murchie

14 Sean Lamont 13 Alex Dunbar 12 Peter Horne 11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Duncan Weir 9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant 2 Dougie Hall 3 Moray Low 4 Tom Ryder 5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN) 6 James Eddie 7 John Barclay 8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES

16 Finlay Gillies 17 Mike Cusack 18 Gordon Reid 19 Tim Swinson 20 Angus Macdonald 21 Sean Kennedy 22 Scott Wight 23 Troy Nathan

Not considered for selection due to injury: Chris Cusiter (scrum-half), Rob Harley (knee), Stuart Hogg (ankle), Ed Kalman (back), Rory Lamont (leg), Pat MacArthur (foot), Graeme Morrison (knee), Jon Welsh (shoulder)

Connacht XV

15. Gavin Duffy (Captain)
14. James Loxton
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Dave McSharry
11. Mark McCrea
10. Matthew Jarvis
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Adrian Flavin
3. Nathan White
4. George Naoupu
5. Dave Gannon
6. Johnny O’Connor
7. Willie Faloon
8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements (from):

16. Kevin O’Byrne
17. Denis Buckley
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Michael Swify
20. Mick Kearney
21. Dave Moore
22. Jack Carty
23. Mata Fifita

Last edited by UlstermaninGlasgow on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Connacht team)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:11 am

Delighted to see that Toonie is continuing with the new centre partnership, and the return of Moray Low and Tim Swinson is a significant boost too. Happy that Ryan Grant has recovered from the knock he took in the Os game which saw him limp out. Interesting to see that Scott Wight is preferred over Rhubarb Jackson, and happy for Troy Nathan to get some gametime.

But what the feic is going on with the wing slots? Is there some kind of rotation policy, cos Tommy Seymour can consider himself extremely unlucky? Unless he is being given leave to attend the Ulster service for Nevin Spence.

Been impressed with Connacht this season so far, they are far from push-overs or Ireland's developmental team, that many still incorrectly think they are - will be a tough game OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht Rugby, Scotstoun Stadium k.o. 7.35 Friday 21st Sept

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

Tommy is back in Ireland for the memorial service. Not surprised considering Nevin was a big character in the Ulster dressing room and Tommy had played with him for a number of years.

I think it's a case of Scott Wight getting game time as from Rhubarbs current form, he's looking far more solid as a backup to Weir...

Connacht are tough as nails, just ask Quins... But away from home they still struggle. The players to be wary of are Griffin and McCarthy. I would have included Faloon but I suspect that he'll be given leave also to not play...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Tommy is back in Ireland for the memorial service. Not surprised considering Nevin was a big character in the Ulster dressing room and Tommy had played with him for a number of years.

I think it's a case of Scott Wight getting game time as from Rhubarbs current form, he's looking far more solid as a backup to Weir...

Connacht are tough as nails, just ask Quins... But away from home they still struggle. The players to be wary of are Griffin and McCarthy. I would have included Faloon but I suspect that he'll be given leave also to not play...

The absolutely furry muff, time off for Tommy makes sense (also Falloon) OK

Yes, Griff and Big Mick have both been playing well

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

Must win game for Glasgow.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:59 am

What happened to Dunbar at 12? I've not been able to catch any of the matches so far this season. Are they actually playing Dunbar at 13 or is it just a numbering thing? I just find it a bit daft seeing as he was finally played at 12 with Morrison at 13 towards the end of last season. Hopefully Horne#s game time being wasted on sevens is a thing of the past now too.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

In the game against the Os, Crypto, they stuck to the positions implied by the numbers on their backs - I, like you, would prefer that Dunbar goes to IC and Horne to OC, but it seems that Toonie doesn't agree

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:01 pm

Grant! Low! Swinson! Yahoo

Jedi is getting a start I see. He's been conceding a lot of penalties lately though (silly yellow card in last game too) so it's borderline whether it's merited but I like him much better as a blindside than a lock. I suspect that we'll see at least half an hour from Macdonald.

No Matawalu on the bench yet. Hopefully next week.

Perhaps the last chance for Wilson to show that he's good enough to challenge Straaaaaauuuusssssssss for the shirt.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

Good team selection - all makes sense. Lamont obviously lucky Seymour is away, but hopefully he can step up.

Must win game for Glasgow. Can't afford a second defeat at home.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:25 pm

Good squad and great to see Townsend sticking with the centre combination. Seriously harsh on Fusaro though, he was fantastic last week and is in better form than Barclay at 7.

Is Horne a left footed, someone put a delightful chip into the corner off a line-out against Ospreys? Hopefully Dunbar will retain ball in contact better, he made a few good breaks last week but frustratingly lost the ball in contact.

Jedi had a good game last week despite the YC, which was always coming after the soft YC for Osprey's.

Looking forward to seeing Swinson getting involved.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

Cusack, Swinson and MacDonald coming off the bench should bring some real impact, and I'd like to see Troy Nathan get some game time as well.

As Glasgow move on from Morrison, getting ball players like Nathan and Horne more involved in the centres is important. If we need crash ball, then Lamont can fulfil that role coming off his wing.

Connacht are not an easy nut to crack, so Glasgow will need to play well and be precise.

Interesting that Jackson has been dropped altogether.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:38 pm

I think Barclay is in for his ball carrying, him and Jedi have been big carriers recently!

Pete Horne is the lefty who put in that sublime chip last week!

Pyrgos needs to play like he did last week and not like he did against Ulster.

The guys are pretty up for this one, they want to make scotstoun a fortress so this will be a must win in their minds!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 19 Sep 2012, 5:06 pm

Great to see Scot Wight involved. His confidence really took a dive when he missed the last minute penalty v Treviso (it would have given us a win) and he scored a very good try away to the same team last season also. In the Scottish Cup Final Melrose v Ayr a few seasons ago he looked as good as Bennett (then Ayr) for Melrose.

Lets hope somebody somewhere gets some decent, or at least drinkable, beer into the ground instead of the swill on offer last time. Ale

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 19 Sep 2012, 5:31 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Great to see Scot Wight involved. His confidence really took a dive when he missed the last minute penalty v Treviso (it would have given us a win) and he scored a very good try away to the same team last season also. In the Scottish Cup Final Melrose v Ayr a few seasons ago he looked as good as Bennett (then Ayr) for Melrose.

Lets hope somebody somewhere gets some decent, or at least drinkable, beer into the ground instead of the swill on offer last time. Ale

Yeah I know what you mean Schiz, the couple of games that Wight played in last year I thought he looked very capable, especially with ball in hand. Reminded me of how Madigan is playing.

I think you may be disappointed on the beer front. It is done by the same company as supplies the 7's and Murrayfield so I'm afraid Carling is all we'll get... You'd think they'd at least have a Glaswegian beer eh?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 19 Sep 2012, 6:52 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Great to see Scot Wight involved. His confidence really took a dive when he missed the last minute penalty v Treviso (it would have given us a win) and he scored a very good try away to the same team last season also. In the Scottish Cup Final Melrose v Ayr a few seasons ago he looked as good as Bennett (then Ayr) for Melrose.

Agree about Wight 100% Needs to get a chance!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:24 pm

Yes Ulster and the same overpriced slop they dish up at Murrayfield too - utter carp ! vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:27 pm

I should have said -utter Carling vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

I suspect the Connact team will look a lot like the one put out for Scarlets

Connacht: 15 Gavin Duffy (c), 14 Tiernan O'Halloran, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Miah Nikora, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 Eoin McKeon, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 Andrew Browne, 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Michael Swift, 3 Nathan White, 2 Ethienne Reynecke, 1 Brett Wilkinson.

Replacements: 16 Adrian Flavin, 17 Dennis Buckley, 18 Rodney Ah You, 19 David Gannon, 20 Johnny O'Connor, 21 Dave Moore, 22 Matthew Jarvis, 23 Robbie Henshaw.

Would like to know when Pooleman arrives, and when Parks is fit, as I'd say they would be first team players.

Think O'connor will start,

When Pooleman arrives
15 Gavin Duffy (c), 14 Tiernan O'Halloran, 13 Eoin Griffin, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Pooleman

Is actually a very good backline, if they were playing for a more fashionable team we'd hear alot about these players.

But lets be honest, most people only watch Connacht about twice a year, and thats when they play your team, so you don't really get to pick up much about them. This year we will be intrested in the Harlaquins games as well.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

George Naupou?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

how could I miss big George, picard

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

Just posted the Connacht team in the OP. Looks like one for the taking for Glasgow, although quite a few unknowns in that Connacht squad. Still, I'd expect the experience of the Glasgow team to show through tomorrow night...

Also surprised by Willie Faloon playing. Would have expected him to be given compassionate leave. Maybe he thinks the best way to remember Nevin is by playing... Fair play anyway!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

Very surprised at the Connacht team in the OP - quite different from that which they fielded against Llanelli as noted by Kingshu above

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

Glasgow have got to be putting this fixture away - no excuses.

Excellent result at the Ospreys last week, now that must back that up.

Would be good to get Lamont and Dunbar on the scoresheet to get those confidence levels up, and Weir needs a big game. Glasgow can't just hope to get the ball to DTH and wait for him to do something.

I'll be bolder having seen that Connacht teamsheet - Glasgow by 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

Big George in the second row? theres a big surprise, has he ever played there before?
Griffin and O'Halloran rested it seams
both first choise locks 5 Mike McCarthy, 4 Michael Swift rested
Reynecke rested as well

Looks very much like Connacht are targeting there home games and resting players for
Connacht v Leinster next week.

TBF I think that they see home against Leister then away to Ulster as the closest warm up to a H-cup game they will get, and you will see all thier first team out for these, so they have rested them in the build up, a few V Scarlets, (as it was a home game they would have felt they could win) and the rest V Glasgow

It all fairness, Glasgow should be looking for a BP win here. I'd say this is the weakest team Connacht have put out all season.

I'd say they planned this, get first team playing first few games to get match fit, rest them, and then build up toward H-cup, (Leinster and Ulster, are perfect prep, just before big games)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

Well hopefully it can work in Glasgow's favour, as Toonie will be desperate for a first home win, and he's picked close to as strong a Glasgow side as possible.

A BP win would be a fine result, and clearly getting Glasgow over the try line more often this season will have been a key goal for Toonie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

Just as a side point, the Pro 12 no relegation issue.

We heard Jackman say the French club hes coaching at, play their first team against the teams at the bottom end of the table, and target these games, to have the best chance of avoiding the drop.

And here we have no relegation and we see Connacht aiming at Leinster and Ulster (teams expected to be at the top).

Does this not make the Pro 12 harder to win? since in other leagues a number of the bottom clubs will send out teams that are expected to lose, against the big teams, giving them easy points, whereas the opposite may be true in the Pro 12?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

To be honest I don't think it's that Connacht are sending out a weaker side because it's Glasgow, I suspect it's more to do with the HC coming up and the fact that it's an away fixture. Had Glasgow been travelling to Galway I suspect you'd have fielded a stronger side for the home support.

It is true though, the Jeff sides don't tend to go for the wholesale rotation that you get in the Rabo. They rotate, but do so in a way that has less impact on the match day performance. I think the Rabo teams are more targeted in games they want to win, and the manner in which they look after and rotate players. You could argue that the lack of relegation permits this, but in fact I think for teams like Connacht, not rich in playing resources, they'd have to take a similar approach in the Jeff than they do in the Rabo in any case. Target games rather than aim to sustain performance throughout the season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:16 pm

fES,

did you see the Jedi puff piece in today's Herald - waste of newsprint tbh Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 21 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

Press all bigging up Pyrgos today -Herald and Scotsman. Lets hope they are right ! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

Anyone watching the game? Connacht have turned up in a weird blue / white kit that in the wide shots blends with Glasgows kit. Don't know why they're not wearing their normal green kit...
It's worse than the All Blacks 2007 silver kit V Scotland fiasco

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

Glasgow's rucking really needs to get a lot better - no where near aggressive or accurate enough.

Very difficult to tell the 2 teams apart!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Aalan Roland has apparently asked for a change of kit to be made. hopefully this happens sooner rather than later

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Never seen this happen midway tgrough a half before!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

Connacht box kick charged down, some nice handling & big slamont over in the corner

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Never seen this happen midway tgrough a half before!
Haha true half time is when it'll happen. Shame though it's rather disrupting my viewing pleasure

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:07 pm

Lamont with the SBS style off load nice running from Murchie and Glasgow have a second try. A very nice one as well

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:08 pm

Aye nice try! Some poor basics from both teams - loads of dropped kick catches

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:09 pm

Great to see the Special Boat Service offload.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Soft try conceded by Glasgow, lose their own lineout ball, Connacht grubbed through and touch down 15-7

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:22 pm

That was the worst kick ive ever seen!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:24 pm

Scott Wright slices his kick, it goes behind him, Glasgow concede the penalty, and go in only 15-10 up.
Real lack of basic skills, handling poor, focus poor. Need a stren half time talk.
And can somebody please change their kit at half time!!!!!!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:28 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:That was the worst kick ive ever seen!
Hahaha, amazingly bad, doesn't look like our fly half woes are ending anytime soon...

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:30 pm

GLove39 wrote:
Hahaha, amazingly bad, doesn't look like our fly half woes are ending anytime soon...
Laugh how did he manage to kick it behind him. Thats harder to do.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

Does Wight know any moves other than a scissors with his centre?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:35 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
GLove39 wrote:
Laugh how did he manage to kick it behind him. Thats harder to do.

I wonder that myself..? Headscratch
Remember Parks doing something similar against France a few years back, 2008 I think. Tried to restart the game and sliced it so badly it went behind him

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

Glasgow have changed into their away White kit, so it's finally possible to tell the teams apart

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:43 pm

Connacht drop an up and under DTH scoops it up and swan dives unnecessary over the line

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

And in typical Glasgow fashion they drop the restart and Connacht score a try of their own steam Doh

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Scott Wight is horribly out of his depth at this level - where is Meatball? Also Tom Ryder needs to buck his ideas up, he's cruising, v little effort

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

Cripple fight

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next