The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season

+15
ADMIN
Scott is Back
Josiah Maiestas
Alessandro Ciambella
Trebs
monty junior
dyrewolfe
The Special Juan
CaledonianCraig
SteveG
Gerry SA
Belgarion of Riva
Critical_mass
GSC
Fernando
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season  - Page 3 Empty Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season

Post by Fernando Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.

"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone hinted last Sunday that Schumacher was retiring.

Ecclestone told Jordan on BBC One: "I'm sorry that he's leaving us not being a winner, because he is a winner."

Asked if knew whether Schumacher was retiring, Ecclestone added: "I don't know, I don't know."

Confronted with Ecclestone's comments, Schumacher insisted after Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix that he had not yet decided on his future.

"As I told [Ecclestone] yesterday I had not made a decision," said the German.

Jordan said he had since been investigating the situation and believed Hamilton, who has yet to agree a new deal to remain with McLaren, was on his way to Mercedes to replace Schumacher.

"Some weeks ago I said on TV that I felt Lewis was on the move and I had an idea at the time he had been speaking to Ferrari, which we now know is true," Jordan said.

"But I can now confirm his people have had meetings with Mercedes.

"Bernie Ecclestone made it clear to me live on television on Sunday that Schumacher was leaving, although Schumacher later played it down.

"So it would appear Michael is leaving and Lewis is arriving at Mercedes.

"Hamilton has not agreed terms with McLaren yet.

"In fact the team have made it clear they cannot offer him as big a salary as his current $15m (£9.42m) deal, which was negotiated before the global financial crisis.

"On top of that, McLaren have to pay for their Mercedes engines for the first time next year.

"Hamilton moving to Mercedes would also make a lot of sense in the context of his manager Simon Fuller, the man behind the Spice Girls and now David Beckham.

"Fuller is trying to position Hamilton as a major global star, like Beckham, and Mercedes is a much bigger global brand than McLaren.

"There has been some uncertainty over Mercedes' position in F1. The board is unhappy at the current performance of the team, but getting Hamilton would undoubtedly be a massive coup and it could give the F1 team some breathing space."

Hamilton's representative at Simon Fuller's XIX Management, Simon Oliveira, and Mercedes GP chief executive officer Nick Fry refused to comment.

A McLaren spokesman said: "Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren continue."

If Hamilton left McLaren, it would leave the team with a huge hole to fill.

Among the candidates for the vacancy alongside Jenson Button would be Scot Paul di Resta, currently at Force India, and Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen.

Di Resta, who has the same management team as Button after splitting with Hamilton's father Anthony, has continued to impress this season, his second in F1 with Force India.

Raikkonen, who drove for McLaren from 2002-05, was a candidate at the team for 2010 before negotiations broke down over money and team boss Martin Whitmarsh turned to Button.

Raikkonen returned to F1 this season with Lotus after two unsuccessful years in world rallying and although he has had some unconvincing weekends, his performances have been increasingly impressive.

The 32-year-old Finn currently lies fourth in the championship heading into this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, one place ahead of Hamilton.

The Englishman's season has been hampered by early-season operational errors by McLaren which cost him about 40 points, and on Sunday in Belgium he was taken out in a start-line collision caused by Lotus's Romain Grosjean.

Hamilton is now 47 points behind world championship leader Fernando Alonso of Ferrari with 200 available in the remaining eight races.

Source:bbc Sport

Bad decision by Lewis for me

Last edited by Fernando on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season  - Page 3 Empty Re: Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:57 pm

No1 is listening to this garbage no more AC.

Eddie Jordan stated that it could be as early as Wedneday that we get a decision on Schumacher.

Back to top Go down

Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season  - Page 3 Empty Re: Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season

Post by ADMIN Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am

The member 'Critical_mass' has done the following action : Dices roll

'D10' : 5

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 am

whats the Dice thing about?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Hamilton could be set for Mercedes drive next season  - Page 3 Empty Hamilton to Mercedes

Post by Bull Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Lewis Hamilton is to leave McLaren and sign to race for Mercedes from next season.
The move, predicted by BBC Sport earlier this month, is expected to be announced on Friday and will have huge repercussions throughout Formula 1.
It has forced Michael Schumacher out of Mercedes but it it is not clear whether the German legend will go back into retirement or look for another team.
Sauber driver Sergio Perez is expected to be Hamilton's McLaren replacement.
Hamilton's decision is a huge blow to McLaren, who will now have to do without the speed and inspirational talent of a man they have nurtured since he was 13 years old.

And it is a correspondingly massive coup for Mercedes, who have struggled since returning to the sport as a team owner in 2010 by buying the then world champion Brawn team.
Hamilton has been offered unequivocal number one status and will be partnered by German Nico Rosberg.
Although Hamilton's salary at Mercedes will be larger than the one he was offered by McLaren, and he has more opportunity to earn money through personal sponsorships and endorsements, sources close to the 27-year-old insist he has switched teams with a view to long-term performance.
McLaren have the fastest car this season, while Mercedes have slipped backwards after a promising start to the year.
But Mercedes have sold the move to Hamilton on the basis that they are preparing for a huge push in 2014, when new chassis and engine rules are introduced.
Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, who masterminded Ferrari's years of domination in the early 2000s, has been instrumental in persuading Hamilton the move is the right decision for his future.

Hamilton, whose failure to win more than one world title so far in his career rankles with him, is banking on Brawn being able to conjure a similar period of domination at Mercedes.
Schumacher's future is uncertain. Sauber team boss Peter Sauber said a week ago that he would offer the seven-time champion a drive if he became available.
But despite the Swiss team's strong performances this season, that would be seen as a significant comedown for a man who was expected to win on his return.
Instead, Schumacher's comeback after three years in retirement has been a huge disappointment - he has scored only one podium finish in three years.

Source: BBC

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm

BBC Breakfast's breaking sports news this morning is that they "understand" Hamilton has signed for Mercedes.

Oh, and the dice thing is for role playing games
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm

wow- he has gone. This is surely because of one man only- Mr Ross brawn. The last race must have been the last straw!

To be fiar LH has been brill this year- It really has been the most unlucky season i can remember.

But what i do find interesting is that - announcing this move when he has a bit of a chance at still winning this season - he has almost giving that up!! Maclarean are not gonna favour him now!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

wow- he has gone. This is surely because of one man only- Mr Ross brawn. The last race must have been the last straw!

To be fair LH has been brill this year- It really has been the most unlucky season i can remember.

But what i do find interesting is that - announcing this move when he has a bit of a chance at still winning this season - he has almost giving that up!! Maclarean are not gonna favour him now!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

It wasn't a surprise TBH. I think the fact Mercedes can offer him a better salary and also the addition of sponsorship deals. Also with teams paying for their own engines next season only strengthens Mercedes bargaining position.

I wish him all the best and what a move up for Perez it is. I was hoping Paul Di Resta.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Today is the day that McLaren have taken a big step forward IMO.

Goodbye Lewis you spoilt little kid, enjoy fighting for 5th/6th place at best next year.

I guess he couldn't handle the pressure of Button breathing down his neck.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:It wasn't a surprise TBH. I think the fact Mercedes can offer him a better salary and also the addition of sponsorship deals. Also with teams paying for their own engines next season only strengthens Mercedes bargaining position.

I wish him all the best and what a move up for Perez it is. I was hoping Paul Di Resta.

I doubt this has much to do with salary/sponsership Legend. I believe it is mainly about his hunger for success

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:It wasn't a surprise TBH. I think the fact Mercedes can offer him a better salary and also the addition of sponsorship deals. Also with teams paying for their own engines next season only strengthens Mercedes bargaining position.

I doubt this has much to do with salary/sponsership Legend. I believe it is mainly about his hunger for success

Mercedes have only won 1 GP in 3 years. Doesn't sound like a successful team.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:29 pm

The way i look at it is that lewis is making this move because he believes in what mercedes/brawn(mainly brawn) can be and having the best car is immaterial if the pit crew, reliabilty of car and the lack of a no.1 driver affects the driver to much

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm

For me mysti Mercedes have a lot to prove. McLaren have had the faster car this year and yes some poor decision making from the crew has cost Lewis, but still I think Mercedes need a lot of work doing and with Ferrari at last competing I think it is a step down at this moment in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 pm

I really are Hamilton living to regret this move. He is leaving a team that have been at or near the top of the sport for decades to join a team that is consistently finishing amongst the also rans and look to be falling further behind in terms of pace rather than heading in the right direction. If money is the motivation then Hamilton has given up the chance to be a rich multi world champion to become a super rich one time world champion as I am certain he will win no world titles at Mercedes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

yeah I agree that they have loads to prove. And this is somewhat of a risk. Mclarean are one team that allways produce a car. I believe this year has been a blip with the crew. However maybe he has been told he is gonna be no.1 driver off record. I believe that is a neccesity these days. And add to that Brawn..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

The thing is I don't buy Brawn + Lewis = F1 Champ. It needs a lot of work and there are no guarantees that he is going to finish every race.

He will be their no.1 driver, but I think this is a mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm

No but i think thats his personal motivation rather than the monetary benefit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm

2 words: Poor Nico.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah poor nico.

Special - Interesting town you live in?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Anyway- my predos for 2013- Button for the WDC!! he could also become a no.1 driver!!

I feel that could be the blessing in disguiss for Mclaren. Something they need to operate.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
I'm told that @SChecoPerez has signed as @LewisHamilton's McLaren replacement
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Yup confirmed Lewis to drive for Merc.

Im kind of pleased he's getting out of the lions den. Button for 2013 WDC... yeah right, i'll believe it when i see it but wont be putting any money on it. Infact, just reading Perez to replace Lewis, i can see Perez doign better than Button

I cant see Lewis doing anything special next year, other than Merc getting things in order. 2014 will be the earliest things may or may not change for Merc. Depends on what 2014 car and the new regs.

Thats my support shifted from Mclaren to Merc.

Hopefully this will be an end to the Lewis vs Button argument, by us ALL (reading this AC). Lets put it to bed.

Last edited by Critical_mass on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Yeah are there so many fan boys of one or the other!! I like em both equally- But i do realise the LH is the slightly superior driver..

Anyway this move shows balls in my mind. It will be very interesting to see what he can do in the 2013 season with an inferior car and then if brawn can walk the talk about the 2014 car

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm

I'd love for Lewis to come in for a pit and the crew just to point at the Mercedes garage
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:25 pm

GSC that might actually be a good stratergy for mclarean - it might speed up the tyre changes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Wonder how many 13 year olds McLaren are 'nurturing' Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Looking forward to seeing Perez in the Mclaren also. Because he's not much different from Lewis and i he could put the cat amongst the pigeons at Mclaren.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Perez will have to realise he is going to Mclarean as a Dog

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeh suppose it depends how submissive he has to be for Button.

I hope Lewis hasnt made an error though - what if Merc dont come up with a car. Lewis must know something we dont know.

Also Mclaren could have made a huge mistake also. Id love to know what Ron's opinion is on this. Whether thats for or against the situation.

If Lewis' 2012 title hunt wasnt over after Singapore, it will be now.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 pm

GSC wrote:I'd love for Lewis to come in for a pit and the crew just to point at the Mercedes garage
Only Button does that.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 pm

CM i am looking at the whole thing as a positive for both.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:CM i am looking at the whole thing as a positive for both.

Id like to agree mate. MW has got what he wants and Lewis it out of the place considering all the supposed going ons. But Mclaren could fall back as could Lewis. Infact as above, i think Lewis will fall back down the field a little, its just a case of when he and Merc can mount a WDC challenge.

MERC PLEASE PLEASE get that car sorted.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I have somewhat trust in brawn rather than mercedes tbh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 pm

mystiroakey wrote:wow- he has gone. This is surely because of one man only- Mr Ross brawn. The last race must have been the last straw!

To be fair LH has been brill this year- It really has been the most unlucky season i can remember.

Nah I doubt this will be the Whitmarsh way of thinking, he will want Lewis to finish on a high, there won't be any grudges I feel.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 pm

I hope so Jos

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Yep, Brawn wouldn't push the boat out for a big signing if there wasn't going to be a major performance shift expected with the new car.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:32 pm

i think Lewis will fall back down the field a little
Not exactly a gambling man, are you?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
i think Lewis will fall back down the field a little
Not exactly a gambling man, are you?

Hmm i wouldnt say that, but i would say im a realist. What i hope and what i think will happen are two different things. I hope Lewis hits the ground running and Merc get a good car together.

What i realistically think for the first year at least is he wont be at the top - maybe drop down the field was the wrong term. What i meant is, he'll be where Merc are now. I hope not. But what use is it saying He'll be winning races - do you honestly believe that?

I like the optimism, just trying to keep a level head on the situation.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Well, well, its finally happened.

After all the speculation its not that much of surprise. Was a little surprised to hear Brawn say Lewis' management instigated the move. Wonder if it was at Lewis' behest, or were they looking for a better deal after failing to secure him an improved deal at McLaren?

Don't suppose we'll know the real reasons for some time, but on the face of it, it appears to have been a breakdown in relations, coupled with an expectation that Mercedes will be able to offer him a competitive car in 2014, when the next major reg changes come into effect.

I'm just wondering if Lewis is also expecting No.1 driver status within the team. Yes, he's a former world champion and Rosberg isn't, but Nico has been the Silver Arrows' golden boy, much as Vettel is for Red Bull. On top of that, he's shown he can produce good results in a car that is arguably only 3rd or 4th best in the field. He's shown some good consistency and managed his first race win this season, so I can't imagine they'll suddenly gear everything towards Hamilton.

That said, I expect him to at least match, if not better Rosberg's performances...provided they can set his car up to compensate for the increased tyre degradation the Mercedes seems to suffer from. Reckon this driver pairing will help the team make that next step and they can start looking forward to wining races on a regular basis.

Anyway, best of luck to Lewis. Hope it works out for him there and that he rediscovers his mojo.

Looks like I'll be rooting for 2 teams as of next season. Smile

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm

"so I can't imagine they'll suddenly gear everything towards Hamilton."

If they dont then he wouldnt be going there. He will be no.1 from the offset

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"so I can't imagine they'll suddenly gear everything towards Hamilton."

If they dont then he wouldnt be going there. He will be no.1 from the offset

I take you were present when the contract was signed then?

That would be a daft move IMO. For starters Lewis will need time to adapt to being in a new team and driving a different car. Rosberg will be able to "hit the ground running" much better than Hamilton, at least for next season.

Unless Hamilton shows significant superiority over Rosberg from the off, I'd expect them to get equal status to start with.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm

I dont buy that a driver of his calibre will go anywhere on equal pegging. No chance in my mind. He has been there and done that to many times.

There are 3 high class drivers who are also established and WDC winners. That is vettel,alonso and hamilton. The difference being is that the first two are no.1 drivers.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 am

Nothing will be written in ink but I'm sure Hamiltons sole intention is to dominate his new teamate from the off and number 1 status will soon follow - much like what Alonso did to long time Ferrari incumbent Massa.

Also for me Hami has had his mojo back this season only to be let down by operational problems early on. Apart from the odd thing overrall it's been a much more mature and focused Lewis Hamilton this year.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:28 am

I agree LH has been top draw this season.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 am

HERSH wrote:Today is the day that McLaren have taken a big step forward IMO.

Goodbye Lewis you spoilt little kid, enjoy fighting for 5th/6th place at best next year.

I guess he couldn't handle the pressure of Button breathing down his neck.

More cliches. Explain what makes him a "spoilt little kid", is this different to vettel or alonso, or the same?

What pressure from Button??? Apart from 2011, which was Lewis doing badly not button doing well. Lewis has had dealt with Button each season. so again, what pressure are you referring to?

Rolling Eyes

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am

Hamilton's just jumped first that's all. 2014 is a massive regulation change and the inevitable mix up of teams fighting for power at the top end of the grid will unfold. I'm sure Vettel will leave Red Bull just in the same fashion that Hamilton has left McLaren when he realises, as is predicted, that Renault engines will be inferior to that of Mercedes power. One things for sure, when he does leave, he won't be subjected the the levels of abuse that Hamilton will endure.

The financial contract he has signed with Mercedes has come under scrutiny and abuse, however I don't understand why. People who have a clear lack of understanding of the sport and who's arguments against him are flawed (i.e HERSH), have just jumped on this money issue without knowing the facts. Hamilton has signed for Mercedes on a three-year deal worth £15m a year. The irony of that is that it is not significantly more than Hamilton is being paid at the moment. So are you calling him a spoilt kid or a money grabbing mercenary before or after this contract was signed?

I think it could be a sensationally good move for Lewis. Everything is in place at Mercedes to succeed and everyone knows that Ross Brawn is an F1 mastermind who historically is one of the most successful leaders in the sport. New regulations bring change of fortune and I fully expect Mercedes to become a leading powerhouse in F1 over the next few years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3