The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013

+36
majesticimperialman
mowgli
bedfordwelsh
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
GunsGerms
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
thebluesmancometh
Knowsit17
Thomond
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Submachine
Brendan
offload
tigertattie
damage_13
RuggerRadge2611
gowales
HERSH
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nobbled
beshocked
geoff998rugby
nganboy
Taylorman
belovedfrosties
BigTrevsbigmac
LondonTiger
aucklandlaurie
sheephead
sugarNspikes
Geordie
LordDowlais
Pot Hale
40 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013 Empty Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013

Post by Pot Hale Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:52 pm

The British & Irish Lions somehow ended up having to pick Warren Gatland as head coach for the tour to Australia next year.

Gatland has had two periods as international test coach - once with Ireland from 1998-2001 and currently with Wales, though he hasnt given that one up just yet.

At test level, you can point to his 2 grand slams. One more than Declan Kidney, which isn't saying much.
But it's his record against SH opposition since Dec 2007 with Wales that bears much greater scrutiny. Against SANZAR teams, he has coached 19, and won once. And it's not for want of trying. Gatland arranged test after test against the supposed weakest of the SH teams and came up short every time, bar a 3 point win at home in his first Austrlaian test in November 2008. Since then, it's been 7 duds on the trot. He's had SA 6 times and NZ 5 times and come up with zip.

This is the guy who's supposed to get the best out of four countries next year against southern opposition, when he can't even manage to get it out of one over the last four years.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013 Empty Re: Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013

Post by LordDowlais Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

FFS, I am getting fed up of these threads, go on then who would you have in charge, as you have already pointed out the closest one to him up here is Declan Kidney which isn't saying much, so come on pray tell.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013 Empty Re: Lions pick worst performing test coach for Australia tour in 2013

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

I thought gatland was the obvious choice.
Interesting to see who his back room team will be.

If he picks the right players...and not all the ones he knows ( i mean all welsh) the Lions should get a series win....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:05 pm

The problem that I forsee with Gatland isn't so much his coaching ability (with better and mentally stronger players available with the Lions he may be able to achieve something out in Australia next year) it's more his personality. I don't see him as a uniting leader and he seems to be more concerned with topping up his CV so that he can have a crack at the NZ job at some point.

I am concerned that he may rely on tried on trusted with some of his picks and tactics, relying on a slow and easily outwitted scrum half together with route one tactics against a pack that won't be bullied as easily as he thinks.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:22 pm

Yawn

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Good chuckle on Twitter today,
Shane Williams congratulated Lee Byrne and Mike Phillips on there Lions selection straight after Gatland was announced as the man in charge Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm

How does Gatty get to arange the tests?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

I do not liek having an overseas coach in charge of the Lions. Good coach that he was, Graham Henry never really understood the ethos. (Though to be fair SCW made an even bigger pigs ear of it).

BUT

Alternatives to Gatland were not exactly jumping up demanding selection.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I thought gatland was the obvious choice.

If he picks the right players...and not all the ones he knows ( i mean all welsh) the Lions should get a series win....

He has already indicated he favours continuity in management from 2009 so I think there will be a few weeks grace & it will be the same team as SA.
He has also promised an attack minded team - what about the best of Wasps & Harlequins for starters Smile

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

He has already indicated he favours continuity from 2009 so I think there will be a few weeks grace & it will be the same team as SA.
He has also promised an attack minded team - what about the best of Wasps & Harlequins for starters Smile
Aus would tear the Quins and Wasps players a new one, the tries they scored last weekend were hardly worth writing home about! just two defensively poor teams

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm

viewtothegym wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

He has already indicated he favours continuity from 2009 so I think there will be a few weeks grace & it will be the same team as SA.
Aus would tear the Quins and Wasps players a new one, the tries they scored last weekend were hardly worth writing home about! just two defensively poor teams

What Region do you follow View?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:13 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Most coaches when faced with a 50/50 choice go back to players they are familiar with. This of course means that current Welsh squad members and 09 Lions all have a head start.

Hell if there are any Wasps still playing from Gatland's time there they have a chance. Is Simon Shaw still at Toulon Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:16 pm

The Lions wanted a coach who they could have for 10 months, or something similar. Which current coach from UK or Ireland would have been allowed apart from Gatland? Kidney? Would you be happy with that Irish fans? Lancaster? Too soon for him surely. Robinson? A club coach? A former coach such as SCW or Martin Johsnon? McGeechan?

Seriously, list the potential candidates and let's debate them, but don't stick the knife into Gatland when a) he didn't pick himself and b) he's one of only a very very small list who could negotiate the time off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

Personally...sod continuity.....

Pick the best players available at the time. How long before the tour is the squad actually picked?

As much as im an England fan...when i comes to the lions i want THE best team to hit the field. Ideally a nice mix of all four countries (which actually it should be this time)...but if it happens that one team is by far the best then i wouldnt have a problem with the majority coming from there....BUT it has to be THE BEST PLAYERS. Not his mates who he feels loyal to....Woodward made that mistake...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:10 am

I'm English and can safely say that Gatland is the most obvious choice for coach unless we went really left field and got someone like Jake White to come over or Martin Johnson....

Gatland clearly has a will to win and hates losing, because of this he WILL pick the best players regardless of country. There may be the occasional selection where it is soo close he goes for who he knows, but at the end of the day is that such a bad thing? Picking someone who knows you and the system you play, for a series of games where everyone getting on the same wavelength in a short period of time?

Also, if it all goes badly we have a very obvious scape goat!

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:24 am

This century the Lions have played 10 lost 7 drawn 1 and won 2 tests (the first and last of the 10).

18 tries scored...25 scored against.

Theres more than the coach to be concerned about... Perhaps the players dont get on...easy to see why...reading...these...posts... Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 2:30 am

So who would you choose instead Pots?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:12 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Personally...sod continuity.....

Pick the best players available at the time. How long before the tour is the squad actually picked?

As much as im an England fan...when i comes to the lions i want THE best team to hit the field. Ideally a nice mix of all four countries (which actually it should be this time)...but if it happens that one team is by far the best then i wouldnt have a problem with the majority coming from there....BUT it has to be THE BEST PLAYERS. Not his mates who he feels loyal to....Woodward made that mistake...

Geordie when I mentioned continuity I think Gats was referring to the management team.

I agree with your comments.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:11 am

Easy to moan harder to be constructive so who would you pick instead Pots ?

Kidney, Robinson, Lawrence, Johnson. McGeechan, O'Shea, Young, Ruddock, Hill etc etc - noone there who has a better cv

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

As long as Gatland doesn't fill the Lions with Wale's overrated French exiles I will be pleased.

Gatland shouldn't mess this up, he'll have a good pool of players to pick from.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:50 am

beshocked wrote:As long as Gatland doesn't fill the Lions with Wale's overrated French exiles I will be pleased.

Gatland shouldn't mess this up, he'll have a good pool of players to pick from.

What Welsh players would you like to see getting picked beshocked ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

Wales has plenty of good players.

The likes of Warburton,North and Adam Jones are pretty much shoo ins.

Obviously in depends on form but the likes of Faletau,Priestland,J.Davies,Roberts,AWJ,Cuthbert,James,Lydiate,Halfpenny will all be in contention

There are plenty of Welsh players that could make the cut playing in Wales and England - don't need to look to the Welsh players in France.

The exception is possibly Jenkins.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:11 am

beshocked wrote:Wales has plenty of good players.

Obviously in depends on form but the likes of Faletau,Priestland,J.Davies,Roberts,AWJ,Cuthbert,James,Lydiate,Halfpenny will all be in contention

There are plenty of Welsh players that could make the cut playing in Wales and England - don't need to look to the Welsh players in France.

I agree, but I would take Paul James over Gethin Jenkins any day of the week, also I cannot see Faletau going not with the likes of Heaslip and Ryan Jones lurking around. John Davies might go Jamie Roberts will def go and will be a test starter along side BOD, I can see Cuthbert going and perhaps Lydiate, though he has to get past the Irish and Scottish boys first, Halfpenny before Kearney I cannot see happening and when you add Foden then he really has his work cut out. From an English point of view, as things stand, you could see Dan Cole, Foden and Robshaw going but after that the other contenders really do have their work cut out and before I say it please do not go mental on me, I think that there will be a lot of dissapointed English fans on here as I believe the Lions will be mostly made up with Celts. Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

viewtothegym wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

If Tries are scored it's due to poor defence, if not it's poor attack...can't please some people any of the time...
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

LordDowlais wrote:

I agree, but I would take Paul James over Gethin Jenkins any day of the week, also I cannot see Faletau going not with the likes of Heaslip and Ryan Jones lurking around. John Davies might go Jamie Roberts will def go and will be a test starter along side BOD, I can see Cuthbert going and perhaps Lydiate, though he has to get past the Irish and Scottish boys first, Halfpenny before Kearney I cannot see happening and when you add Foden then he really has his work cut out. From an English point of view, as things stand, you could see Dan Cole, Foden and Robshaw going but after that the other contenders really do have their work cut out and before I say it please do not go mental on me, I think that there will be a lot of dissapointed English fans on here as I believe the Lions will be mostly made up with Celts. Sorry
Altho I don't agree with it, LD, but I'm not expecting many Scots either (Gatland's "three countries, oops I mean four" gaff at the press conference aside) Sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

His record against the big three SH teams is a worry.

But who else is there?

Robinson, MJ, Lancaster?????
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:17 am

My issue with Gatland is that he isn't very flexible with his game plan, especially when it comes to attack. Crashing into the Aussies for 80mins will only go so far.

Last edited by gowales on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

Warburton? The same Warburton who hasn't played well since the RWC? With Rennie, Tipuric and O'Brien snapping at his heals Warburton IMO will be lucky to make the plane unless he recaptures his 2011 form and remains injury free.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

Ryan Jones? You joking seriously? I wouldn't start him. Not good enough for the Welsh starting XV.

The way I see the Welsh backrow -

6.Lydiate
7.Warburton
8.Faletau

Lions backrow could be something like in my opinion:

6.SOB/Brown
7.Warburton/Robshaw
8.Heaslip/Faletau

R.Jones wouldn't get in. That's without mentioning the likes of Denton,Rennie,Haskell etc.

Best English contenders IMO - Robshaw,Cole,Foden,Ashton,M.Tuilagi

Certainly Ashton. Would it really surprise to see wings being Ashton and North?

Then any of Goode,Brown,Barritt,Flood,Youngs,Farrell,Hartley,Haskell,Corbisiero,Marler have punching chances.

Outside bet is Wade.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

Wade?

Not after that silly pass on Saturday.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

Uh oh how could I forget Ferris in the backrow too.

Ryan Jones wouldn't get in ahead of these guys in the backrow. Most can play more than 1 backrow position too.

Ashton also has good experience scoring vs the Aussies.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

I have said numerous times that the backrow is saturated with talent. A lot of very good players will be left behind in this tour.

Backrow contenders :

6. T.Croft, K.Brown, S.Ferris, D.Lydiate
7. R. Rennie, S. Warburton, C. Robshaw, S.O'Brian
8. B.Morgan, D.Denton, T.Faletau, J.Heaslip

I reckon versatility will help players in this one. If you can cover more positions than one in the backrow, that will put you in a better position.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

Good point Ruggerradge. It's a nice headache for Gatland.

That gives you 4 pretty strong backrows from each country.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

Griff wrote:The Lions wanted a coach who they could have for 10 months, or something similar. Which current coach from UK or Ireland would have been allowed apart from Gatland? Kidney? Would you be happy with that Irish fans? Lancaster? Too soon for him surely. Robinson? A club coach? A former coach such as SCW or Martin Johsnon? McGeechan?

Seriously, list the potential candidates and let's debate them, but don't stick the knife into Gatland when a) he didn't pick himself and b) he's one of only a very very small list who could negotiate the time off.

while I don't really like Gatland.

wot Griff said!

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Very true damage 13 and Griff.

Just shows you how poor the quality of international coaches seems to be in the NH.

Gatland has had a good coaching career whatever you say -

3 English Premiership titles and 1 HC with Wasps

An Air New zealand cup title with Waikato.

2 GS with Wales and a WC semi final.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

Do we count RWC semi finals now?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:08 am

Just saying, but I'd have picked Nick Mallet
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

HERSH wrote:Do we count RWC semi finals now?

Well picking World Cup Winners doesn't work eh Hershy

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

What a dull OP.

Let's debate a list of British and Irish coaches that should have been appointed....oh yes there aren't any!

Perhaps we could fall back on that coaching genius that has led numerous victories over the SH giants and was the architect of two consecutive Lions test series? Oh yes...there isn't one.

We should have a great pool of players next year to pick from and a great series to look forward to. Give Gatland a break - at least until he does something to criticise.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Altho I don't agree with it, LD, but I'm not expecting many Scots either (Gatland's "three countries, oops I mean four" gaff at the press conference aside) Sad

I dont think there'll be a huge English contingent...however i do think they'll be a few wildcards making the plane if as i suspect they have big seasons...

Definates -
Cole & Croft (He offers something different...) Ashton, Flood, Foden

Probables - Care or Youngs

In the mix....Possibles -
Tuilagi, Lawes, Marler, Corbs, Mike Brown

Back row dilemas
Wood & Robshaw & Haskell

My Wildcard picks -
Wade, Launchbury, Morgan,

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:59 pm

Nick Mallet would've been fun

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:59 pm

Rennie at scrumhalf?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:03 pm

If Gats hadn't of fallen off the lader and had lost three tests against Aus in the summer would that have made a difference. He would be alot of losses to Aus and nothing to show for it. Even the rubbish Kidney and Robinson and Johnson all have beaten Aus and know how to do it.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:05 pm

No point really debating it now. Decision is made and it's been a foregone conclusion for a long time.
I loved the early KO times the last time it was in AUS. Watching the midweek games in the Aussie bar on Parnell St before work was a surreal experience. Loads of noise, bacon sandwiches, plenty of banter ad then into work for a 8 hours of pension administration.
On a side note. I expect Ben Morgan to have a huge six nations and HC campaign and be a test starter at 8 with Lydiate and Warburton at 6 & 7 to add balance. for what it's worth:
1. Healy
2. Ford
3. Jones
4. Grey
5. POC
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Youngs
9. Philips
10. Flood
11. North
12. JD2
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Foden

16. Jenkins
17. Best
18. Cole
19. Lawes
20. O'Brien
21. Youngs
22. Sexton
23. Kearney

Bolter = Luke Marshall

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

I think that there are plenty of people that did well last year on the big stage that might this year harder. If McVisser finishs as top try scorer again in the Pro12 and get some in the AIs and 6Ns were does that leave him is he a year too late or will one year be enough to be included. I think this is the most even all 4 teams have been in a long time with 3 people for each place at least.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm

For my two penneth, at this moment in time, this is who I would pick:-

Paul James
Rory Best
Adam Jones
POC
Ritchie Grey
Robshaw
Warburton
Heaslip
Mike Phillips
Toby Flood
Jamie Roberts
BOD
North
Cuthbert
Kearney

Subs.
Jenkins
Cole
O'Brien
Sexton
Halfpenny
Scott Williams
Alyn Wyn Jones
Lloyd Williams

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

viewtothegym wrote: Aus would tear the Quins and Wasps players a new one, the tries they scored last weekend were hardly worth writing home about! just two defensively poor teams

and what are Australia?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

Stopped reading after I saw the title, you clearly haven't heard of Declan Kidney if Gatland is performing the worst out of the home nations

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:20 pm

I think he means worst performing against the SH nations

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

Declan Kidney has two wins over the big 3 but aside from that he has done little.

Gatland was the best avaailable I think, if we play like Wales do, we will lose though. All aboard the Schmidt Express!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next