The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who??

+19
barragan
Skydriver
dynamark
Bob_the_Job
Diggers
super_realist
NedB-H
pedro
Sand
Tinmar
raycastleunited
sirbenson
Doon the Water
McLaren
John Cregan
oldparwin
George1507
kwinigolfer
JAS
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who?? - Page 3 Empty Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who??

Post by JAS Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

First topic message reminder :

It's been clear for a while that Olly will face a difficult time in making his Captains picks (not too long to go now either). However just listened to PM being interviewed and it was pointed out that he is currently in the last automatic place for the US Team, IF he has a poor weekend he could conceivably fall out of the automatic picks. If you were DL3 would you leave out Phil if he needed a pick??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who??

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 14 Aug 2012, 6:13 am

super_realist wrote:BOb, have you ever seen the Twitter banter between Rose, Poulter, DOnald , Westwood etc? He's definitely not a devisive influence, and given his RC record, it seems people have no problem playing with him either.

He's a confident player, but I think people judge him more on the past than what he is actually like now.

"BOb"?? Are you saying I smell?..

No - I loath Twitter with a passion (and I'm in the IT business). That's fair enough then - I've always had a grudging respect for him, but felt he had a chip on his shoulder that he put on display too much. If that's a thing of the past, then I can be less begrudging.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who has the bigger dilemma?...and over who??

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Aug 2012, 6:17 am

I think the public perception of Poulter is similar to that of Andy Murray where idiots couldn't understand that Murray wasn't actually anti English at all, just taking the pi$$.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Tue 14 Aug 2012, 6:18 am

Diggers wrote:Where did I compare golf and the Olympics ?

That's how your post at 1.28pm reads. Anyway, forget it. We're not going to agree.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 14 Aug 2012, 6:28 am

Thats how youve read it. Two completely different conversations in reality.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 15 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Just read the DL3 transcript from his press conf at Kiawah. I noticed that he mentioned Fowler twice when talking about the players already qualified. Apparently he hangs out a lot with Phil, Bradley and Dustin. To me a clear indication that he'll pick Rickie. And my guess with Mahan, Furyk and Stricker, ie. the next 4 on the list. Dustin and Sneds are dark horses. The next few weeks will tell.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:23 am

So, Ollie just named Bjorn, McGinley and Clarke VC's. He'll annoynce a fourth VC after Gleneagles.

To me it means he'll see how Garcia fares, leaving a VC spot open for him should he not play well enough to be on the team (either by merit or pick). Maybe he also wants to make sure Poulter qualifies, as Poulter otherwise would be first in line for a wild card. If Garcia qualifies or plays well enough to earn a pick, I guess Jimenez will be the fourth VC.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 5:30 am

Bjorn must be fairly dissapointed to be ruled out as a player so early

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:52 am

hend085 wrote:Bjorn must be fairly dissapointed to be ruled out as a player so early
This time I think he accepts he's too far down the rankings and that his current form isn't terrific. Too bad though, he had three wins in 2011, and makes tons of birdies when in form. A 2011 version of TB would be a safe pick imo.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

Olesen wouldnt be a bad pick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 16 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

Looks like the bad blood between Ollie and Harrington will definitely rule Harrington out of Wild Card consideration.

The falling out dates back to the 2003 Seve Trophy when in the Singles, Ollie told Harri he was repairing 2 pitchmarks on his line...........Harri told him he would like a referee to have a look at them, Ollie went ahead anyway and repaired them, Harri asked him why hadn't he waited for the referee and Ollie ended up conceding the hole and storming off............the remaining holes were played in silence and not sure they have spoken since........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

Well I think the "should Sergio be picked/not be picked" dilemma is about to become null and void. Not sure that in itself will solve all Of Olly's selection issues though. What does Colsaerts require to overtake Kaymer?

Looking like the scrap for the last 2 automatic places and 2 picks will involve Kaymer, Poulter, Garcia & Colsaerts. Others may try and stake a claim but think the only chance any other name has is if Kaymer doesn't hold on to an automatic place. With any 2 of the other 3 in an automatic place the 3rd would almost certainly be the 1st Captains pick. So, the question would be who would get the other spot??

With regard to the Septics, it seems to have fallen pretty straightforward for DL3. I can't see him binning any of the 4 who finished 9th to 12th in qualification. Tough call for big Dusty Bin as he missed a good few weeks through injury and would probably have been top 12 without that time off. The thing is though he doesn't really have anything extra special to bring to the table over and above the guys above him.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:45 am

JAS wrote:Well I think the "should Sergio be picked/not be picked" dilemma is about to become null and void. Not sure that in itself will solve all Of Olly's selection issues though. What does Colsaerts require to overtake Kaymer?

Looking like the scrap for the last 2 automatic places and 2 picks will involve Kaymer, Poulter, Garcia & Colsaerts. Others may try and stake a claim but think the only chance any other name has is if Kaymer doesn't hold on to an automatic place. With any 2 of the other 3 in an automatic place the 3rd would almost certainly be the 1st Captains pick. So, the question would be who would get the other spot??

With regard to the Septics, it seems to have fallen pretty straightforward for DL3. I can't see him binning any of the 4 who finished 9th to 12th in qualification. Tough call for big Dusty Bin as he missed a good few weeks through injury and would probably have been top 12 without that time off. The thing is though he doesn't really have anything extra special to bring to the table over and above the guys above him.

If Sergio wins this, will that not do enough for him to qualify? Can Colsaerts or anyone else catch him with a win next week?

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:58 am

Yes I think he needed a win or 2nd for an automatic slot (currently) but not sure if he can be overtaken again next week, looks like being a tied 7th for Colsaerts which will move him closer to an automatic place but not sure what he needs next week. Poulter is in the last qualification spot but I can't honestly see him not being picked if he drops out the auto slots. Kaymer (in the 2nd last slot) on the other hand....

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

Perhaps Kaymer's break in play is to protect his place in the team? Any distance in that theory pd / anyone else?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:25 pm

barragan wrote:Perhaps Kaymer's break in play is to protect his place in the team? Any distance in that theory pd / anyone else?
Barragan, RC ranking is not based on averages, but totals accumulated. Wouldn't make sense for anyone not to play.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

Think Harringtons will be sitting watching the Ryder Cup on the TV like the rest of us.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:37 pm

Duh ! - of course Pedro, more likely to be giving the others a chance to bump him out then.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3