The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster Pre-Season

+17
Pete330v2
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
MBTGOG
Artful_Dodger
neilthom7
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
toml
rodders
Rava
clivemcl
Thomond
Notch
21 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Ulster Pre-Season - Page 6 Empty Ulster Pre-Season

Post by Notch Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 11:43

First topic message reminder :

Because we need a new thread to succeed the Ulster Signings one.

There was more encouragement for Ulster last weekend as they held a near full-strength Leicester Tigers to a draw in a sun-drenched Ravenhill. The team was considerably more callow than their opponents but they acquited themselves admirably; with the majority of Ulsters Irish internationals not expected to be involved until the third round of the Pro12, Mark Anscombe is happy to give the same group of players a run again in the final pre-season game against Newcastle. The only changes to the team that started against Leicester are the additions of Mike McComish at openside, Craig Gilroy on the wing, Paddy Jackson at outhalf and Rob Herring at hooker.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10710.php

Ulster (15-9):J Payne, M Allen, C Farrell, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, M Heaney (1-8): C Black, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, R Diack, M McComish, N Williams;
Replacements: N Annett, N Brady, R Lutton, J Afoa, A Macklin, N McComb, A Birch, S Doyle, B McIlroy, N O’Connor, P Nelson, C Cochrane

Match report from Bayonne;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/10692.php

Match report from Leicester;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/10701.php

Last edited by Notch on Thu 23 Aug 2012 - 11:44; edited 3 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster Pre-Season - Page 6 Empty Re: Ulster Pre-Season

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 14:26

In fairness, Maurice is apparently also still waiting to see if Jarleth Carey can stake a claim. Jarleth never played a game for us, and was only here from 2007-2008, as far as I'm aware. So I wouldn't sweat it.

"200 words for the website? Yeah no problem - bish bash bosh. There you go."

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 15:22

Didnt even know who Jarleth was until I googled him. Turns out he plays at my club!

Yea don't know what basis he had for including his name in that list.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 15:36

I think Paddy will be our 10. Everybody's being very warm and encourgaing to Niall, which is just right, but I think there's a real difference in inherent talent there.

If NOC's improved, brilliant, and there are a few good reports from the first couple of friendlies. But really, Paddy is the Chosen One. He's 20, that's all.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 15:41

It does seem though IMO, that Paddy is no more talented than say Luke Marshall, Iain Henderson, maybe even Nelson and Farrell, yet they arn't first choices.

I think, and most other teams will think that Paddy Jackson being our No. 1 is not what the plan was, and is (at this stage) the weakest link in a very good squad.

Will he come good? Who knows, I hope so. But its not ideal at this very minute. He will be heavily targeted I think. At least his tackling is not a hugely weak area. Certainly not worse than iHumph was.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 16:16

clivemcl wrote:It does seem though IMO, that Paddy is no more talented than say Luke Marshall, Iain Henderson, maybe even Nelson and Farrell, yet they arn't first choices.

I think, and most other teams will think that Paddy Jackson being our No. 1 is not what the plan was, and is (at this stage) the weakest link in a very good squad.

Will he come good? Who knows, I hope so. But its not ideal at this very minute. He will be heavily targeted I think. At least his tackling is not a hugely weak area. Certainly not worse than iHumph was.

On the contrary, Clive. Jackson is very strong in the tackle. There have been a few brought down in the 10 channel already this pre-season.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 16:21

Outhalf is our weak spot, but it always has been since D Humph retired, to be honest

We've learned to play with outhalfs that blow hot and cold, can't tackle etc etc.

In his first year if PJ is consistant, and Noc can play consistant as well, then I think we have improved this area, Ian could light games up, but equally he could disappear in games, and tackling was weak. If both outhalfs are consistant this year over all we will be better, won't reach the highs of I Humph but won't suffer the lows, let them do the basicis, and let them do them well is enough, overtime, the fanicer stuff can come into it.

It will be seen as our weak link, but it isn't as if its a new weakness, we know how to deal with it and protect the outhalf to let them play, both NOC and PJ will need far less protection than I Humph did, but may require to be shown some leadership by those around them.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 Aug 2012 - 16:29

Jackson, I think, has the mental strength. And thats half the battle.

He won't crumble if he has a run of poor games. He'll come back from it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 8:51

Some updates after Friday re injuries

Chris Henry is out for a week or two
Ferris has targetted Munster
Tommy has targetted Ospreys
Rory will not play till October - groin
Nev has targetted Ospreys
D'Arcy has targetted Ospreys

The last three are directly from the horses mouths
By my reckoning that is 11 players carrying injuries

Also hearing Cave will return next week.
The one player I don't know about is Trimble

Tuohy is the only playing who is not available for selection because of the International resting system

My predicted team is:

Payne, ANOther, Cave, Marshall, Jackson, Heaney, Black, Herring, Afoa, Stevenson, Muller, Diack, Williams, ANOther

The first ANOther depends on whether Trimble is available or not, if he is he plays, if not Allen.
The last slot is between Doye, Birch, McCormish - that is my order of preference

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 8:56

Had a long chat with Adam D'Arcy - came across as a really nice personable individual. When talking about injuries he said it was no point rushing things as it was a 24 week season .

Afterwards I was confused - how did he come up with 24 as Pro12 + HC is 28 games.
Then the penny drop - Pro 12 is 22 games + 2 play off games i.e. he is calcualting we will make the Pro 12 final ! - Like your thinking young man Very Happy Yahoo OK

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 8:59

geoff998rugby wrote:Some updates after Friday re injuries

Chris Henry is out for a week or two
Ferris has targetted Munster
Tommy has targetted Ospreys
Rory will not play till October - groin
Nev has targetted Ospreys
D'Arcy has targetted Ospreys

The last three are directly from the horses mouths
By my reckoning that is 11 players carrying injuries

Also hearing Cave will return next week.
The one player I don't know about is Trimble

Tuohy is the only playing who is not available for selection because of the International resting system

My predicted team is:

Payne, ANOther, Cave, Marshall, Jackson, Heaney, Black, Herring, Afoa, Stevenson, Muller, Diack, Williams, ANOther

The first ANOther depends on whether Trimble is available or not, if he is he plays, if not Allen.
The last slot is between Doye, Birch, McCormish - that is my order of preference

Maybe stick another winger in there Geoff. Gilroy perhaps?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:00

mea culpa - good idea Doh

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:14

Geoff, what is your new position you speak of? No wait. Its better we don't know. Leave it to our imagination! As far as I'm concerned you got a job as the cashier in the canteen for the sole reason of chatting to the players. You even wear a hair net.

"Well Rory son, hows your wee groin? That'll be one pound 87. Good man yourself. What you think of the new man Anscombe anyway? Aye of course you can get rid of your coppers! I'm running low on change here anyway. Do you ever hear from Brian now at all?......."

Laugh

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:21

Very Happy Wink

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:23

clivemcl wrote:Geoff, what is your new position you speak of? No wait. Its better we don't know. Leave it to our imagination! As far as I'm concerned you got a job as the cashier in the canteen for the sole reason of chatting to the players. You even wear a hair net.

"Well Rory son, hows your wee groin? That'll be one pound 87. Good man yourself. What you think of the new man Anscombe anyway? Aye of course you can get rid of your coppers! I'm running low on change here anyway. Do you ever hear from Brian now at all?......."

Laugh

Clive I was talking to him up in Coleraine on Saturday. He had just spent two days with the U19's at the University. Seems content in his new role ... Rolling Eyes
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:42

As I mentioned earlier Gary Longwell told me Brian will be totally focussed on the Aged teams rather than the Ravens which will be more his (Gary's) and Allan Clarke's domain

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 9:51

Before the match Shane Logan gave a presentation to representatives of secondary schools from all over Northern Ireland (say 50+) in which he talked about Ulster's vision for Rugby in Northern Ireland.

He talked about the aim of making Rugby the most participated sport in Northern Ireland, about making the density of active Rugby players in the province as high as anywhere in the World (I am guessing New Zealand hold that title). Also talked about diversification from a Belfast centric structure - we now have 3 regional representatives who cover the entire province (they were there) whose role is to work with ALL schools and identify new talent.

Also talked about the ground development and said that when it was completed in 2 years we would have no debts at all. (Basically saying the debt on the recently built stand will be paid off by then).

NB: Contrast this with Munsters 11 million euro debt.

This man has a misson to make us the best in the World - doing a pretty good job so far.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 12:56

Geoff - was it only NI schools, or NI and "southern" counties? Is there an issue with having two different education systems, in terms of folding them all into the same plans for world domination?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 13:19

The truth is I don't know - I only saw a few name tags on the tables and there were all Northern schools.

I suspect one of the 3 Area representatives will cover the 3 southern counties - will ask this Friday what area was covered by the presentation.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by 2bFair Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 13:24

Geoff - as a former poster on the original 606 - I am glad to see you back on here. Same for a lot of the familiar names - notch, rava, et al.
I haven't had the chance until now to get myself registered on this new version.
The interesting thing about profiles here is that it reveals where posters are from. I spent years assuming I was the only Ulster supporter in Ardglass!

2bFair

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 13:29

2bFair - I know Ardglass well.

Very well Wink

You should shop in Milligans when you return - done it out nicely Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by 2bFair Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 14:06

Will do geoff - nothing but progress - they will be selling Ulster shirts next Very Happy

2bFair

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 14:28

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19400661?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Yet another BBC article suggesting its a tough call between O'Connor and Jackson. Is it really? Are they just being silly, or do they have reason to believe Anscombe doesn't see much between them?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 14:53

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 14:55

Ah cheers Rava, didnt see that thread!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 9:45

Good article of Diack in the Tele today.

Basically saying he will be playing a lot of rugby at 6 this year rather than 8.

So

6 - Ferris, Diack
8 - Wilson, Williams
7 - Henry, Doyle/Birch

At 6 he will get a lot of game time. Seems to have his mojo back which will be great for us

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by 2bFair Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 12:54

I apologise for asking a question that has probably been addressed on these boards already, but I am curious to get a bit of perspective on some of the ins and outs at Ravenhill.
Doesn't justify a new post - as I have managed to track most of them. I agree with some of the more difficult choices - Faloon in particular. He is a player that I rate, and hope a change works for him.

The 2 that I am not so sure about are McKinney, and Porter.

I see that McKinney has moved to Rotherham - and have no idea what has happened to Porter.

Is it not fairly unfortunate timing - at just about the moment they may have seen some game time - they are released? Surely they would have been worth at least a try at Rabo level, after nurturing their talent for years?

2bFair

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 13:08

I think McKinney decided to go before Humphreys did. When he made his decision, he would have been behind Humphreys, Jackson and Pienaar. Same for Porter – I imagine he was getting frustrated, and it was before we knew we’d be missing Pienaar to SA for the start of the season, and Marshall going to take tourist photos in NZ. Having said that, he was offered the 4 month contract Heaney has, but declined.

Neither player was behind anyone who you’d ordinarily expect to be going away for Ireland camp, so opportunities to break through would be limited.

So these moves are only difficult because of subsequent events. McKinney is expected to come back with more gametime.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 13:21

Don is post on McKinney was going before Humphreys left.
The intent is indeed for him to come back in a couple of years - if he has made the grade.

The club tried to find a Championship team for Porter but nothing come of it - he has gone to the AIB. Bottom line is I dont think the club trusted him with the 3rd SH spot - hence taking Heaney on trial

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6