The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster Pre-Season

+17
Pete330v2
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
MBTGOG
Artful_Dodger
neilthom7
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
toml
rodders
Rava
clivemcl
Thomond
Notch
21 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ulster Pre-Season - Page 3 Empty Ulster Pre-Season

Post by Notch Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 11:43

First topic message reminder :

Because we need a new thread to succeed the Ulster Signings one.

There was more encouragement for Ulster last weekend as they held a near full-strength Leicester Tigers to a draw in a sun-drenched Ravenhill. The team was considerably more callow than their opponents but they acquited themselves admirably; with the majority of Ulsters Irish internationals not expected to be involved until the third round of the Pro12, Mark Anscombe is happy to give the same group of players a run again in the final pre-season game against Newcastle. The only changes to the team that started against Leicester are the additions of Mike McComish at openside, Craig Gilroy on the wing, Paddy Jackson at outhalf and Rob Herring at hooker.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10710.php

Ulster (15-9):J Payne, M Allen, C Farrell, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, M Heaney (1-8): C Black, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, R Diack, M McComish, N Williams;
Replacements: N Annett, N Brady, R Lutton, J Afoa, A Macklin, N McComb, A Birch, S Doyle, B McIlroy, N O’Connor, P Nelson, C Cochrane

Match report from Bayonne;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/10692.php

Match report from Leicester;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/10701.php

Last edited by Notch on Thu 23 Aug 2012 - 11:44; edited 3 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster Pre-Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster Pre-Season

Post by clivemcl Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 7:53

Correct toml! That break by D'arcy was one of the highlights of the season for me! He made Lee Byrne look like an old man!

D'Arcy has saved our bacon a good few times. He didnt get much chance last season, but personally, I felt in the season before he made some vital last man tackles, and was sometimes the only man who sparked a positive go forward self belief attitude in the team.

I still think he's hard done by and I believe he's one of the best non-starting team players in our squad.

And he's really taken to the club and the country despite not being assured a start. That makes him as much an honorary Ulsterman as Ruan and muller in my book.

It will be interesting to see what Anscombe makes of Cave versus Spence. You can't really put Spence in the young prospects category anymore. This is the season he needs to show what he's capable of and firmly take the starting position from Cave.

Mind you, if Cave wants to up the ante to fight off the challenge, then all the better for Ulster and Ireland.

Best think Anscombe can do is make sure both of them know its up for grabs to either of them. (Which I'm sure he has already).

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 8:09

Toml there are loads of Ulster supporters who would prefer we played our homegrown lads ahead of the imports. FRU might just be one of them. I still shudder when I remember the massive clamors for playing Marshall ahead of Pienaar when he arrived.
D'Arcy's problem is he is essentially a one position man and with the arrival of Payne (and subsequently Terblanche) who are both a class above him then he was going to struggle to get a start. That won't change this year and Nelson's arrival on the scene on the back of some impressive performances in the Junior World Cup won't have helped.
I suspect this could be his last season for Ulster unless he produces some form to make Anscombe sit up and take note.

Imagine what would be said if D'Arcy was full back and Payne was playing 13? Rolling Eyes
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 8:43

Hi folks thinking of taking my nephew to the Tigers game on Saturday.

Is the Terrace or Prom better for kids (age 7)? Any thoughts? Cheers.

Re: Trimbs v Gilroy. If both players continue in their end of season form then Trimble will be under pressure. However if, as I would expect, after a rest and preseason Trimble gets anywhere near close to the form he was in early last year then he will be a definite starter for me. No question. A flurry of tries from Gilroy over the fast few months doesn't yet convince me he's as good as Trimble, who some forget had a very good game v the ABs in the second test in the summer.

I'd be pretty confident that both Bowe and Trimble (and Payne) will be HEC starters. However it'll be up to Cave and Gilroy to determine what positions that will be in.

Its great to have some genuine competition for places and there'll be some very good players who won't make the 22 this season.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 8:45

Terrace probably easier to see from if you're small because it's sloped more.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 8:50

Damn no wonder I haven't been able to see much over the years then.... Whistle

Cheers Notch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 8:53

D'arcy is IQ though, and not as a result of the 'project' system. He's just like Boss and Court. I don't like the idea of shunning players who didn't grow up here. I understand it, but I just dont think its healthy to have a somewhat exlusionistic (i doubt thats a word) mindset.

You are right of course, Darcy will find it hard. But that raises a point. If ulster are to compete we need a squad of players. Its not healthy to have a squad which includes:

a) starting team regulars
b) young kids who are hopeful but might jump ship if their hopes are dashed
c) old men waiting out retirement

You also need players who are just happy to be part of a system, get a salary, train with the rest, and put in the odd performance when they are asked to. I could be wrong, but Darcy seems happy enough, and as long as he's happy to hang around in the background, it will do our squad no harm.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:03

Personally I'd like to see the likes D'arcy, Marshall *2 and Spence get more gametime in the RABO. Leinster seem to have the right template for rotation.

The problem is for D'arcy, I'd imagine, that Payne (as with Terblanche) will be on a fair old salary and unlike Rob Kearney, is available all season. That makes it difficult to leave him out when fit.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:30

D'arcy did play on the wing at times last year, I can see him being a very good option for the bench this year,

Covers Fullback, Wing and if Paynes playing, we can take of a centre move Payne there and D'arcy goes full back.

Thats alot of positions covered well, I'd definatly have him on the bench.

Also think that FRU was a bit hard on him, some fans never took to him, some like me think he's great to have in the team. A very attacking fullback.

Also don't forget to the Wilson/Diack you can add Williams.
Though he's going to be mainly at 6, if Ferris is playing, he'll be pushing the other 2 for the 8 spot.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:35

I agree with you guys on D'Arcy. But remember; it's important to give guys in the Academy hope that they can be first choice because the Academy is the backbone of our squad.

However, I don't think we could ever realistically be accused of not doing this. If Academy players are good enough, it's been shown they get the chances. Indeed Peter Nelson could well be the man who takes Adam D'Arcys gametime down to 0 long term.

McIlwaine I was sorry to see leave at the time and haven't changed my mind since. He's performed very well in England. But then again, thats with the benefit of gametime he wouldn't have gotten at Ulster. That's the rub.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:37

In Bayonne we started 10 players who have come through the schools/Club scene in Ulster most of them from our own Academy program. 8 more featured as subs.

So that insular mindset fans have does annoy me sometimes. Because we are definitely a province who produce a lot of homegrown talent. Bringing guys in from outside means they really have to earn their spots and I think thats good for everyone.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:38

clivemcl wrote:I don't like the idea of shunning players who didn't grow up here.

I don't like it either. Fair enough no wanting to sign players from outside, but once they are here and pull on the Ulster shirt the best man plays.
McComish should only keep Diack out of the side if he's outperforming him Whistle

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 9:49

FRU seams to have good judgement, but I'll disagree with D'arcy, and Trimble, having least natural ability

And will really disagree with “Player of the Season” for Ulster’s most successful senior club side, Belfast Harlequins,

Everyone Knows that Ulster’s most successful senior club side is Ballymena, think that there may be some Bias in his opinions?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 10:09

As fans we will always have our favourites and will want them to be playing.
At the start of last season I would have preferred to see Diack playing over Wannenberg. Wannenberg proved he was worthy of his starting place and I was won over.
Whilst I am an admirer of D'Arcy I don't see him being good enough to hold down a regular starting place. I think there are better options for back three cover in the squad and I think he will struggle to be in the 22/23.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 13:14

Agreed. Personally I hope to see that spot go to Gilroy/Trimble with Tommy Bowe as cover at 15. And in the Pro12, Nelson would benefit more from gametime.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 13:46

Is Nelson Rabo standard yet? I thought he had a shaky enough U-20s. Pro 12 is a big step up and he'll need time to develop.

D'arcy for me is HEC standard with his attacking play but other parts of his game maybe aren't up to scratch, isn't the most physical or secure under the high ball.

I'd like to see him get some gametime in the Rabo though and if Payne got injured it would be him I'd be looking at rather than Nelson at this stage.

Gilroy at 15 is an interesting on though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 14:17

rodders wrote:Is Nelson Rabo standard yet? I thought he had a shaky enough U-20s. Pro 12 is a big step up and he'll need time to develop.

D'arcy for me is HEC standard with his attacking play but other parts of his game maybe aren't up to scratch, isn't the most physical or secure under the high ball.

I'd like to see him get some gametime in the Rabo though and if Payne got injured it would be him I'd be looking at rather than Nelson at this stage.

Gilroy at 15 is an interesting on though.

Just shows how peoples perceptions and observations differ. On the contrary I thought Nelson had a good Junior World Cup.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 14:22

In fairness Rava you maybe followed it more astutely than me....plus my memory is like sieve at times Smile .I just recall him slicing a few kicks into touch and not being that assured looking against the better teams.

Certainly he wasn't one of those who stood out as being ready to step up a level. Maybe I'm totally wrong though.

I'm not knocking him but wouldn't be so sure he's ready to be Payne's understudy just yet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 14:26

No I do agree that D'Arcy would be most likely to step in if anything happened to Payne or if he was moved to centre.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 14:31

We do need to keep building the depth though and I'm keen to see more of the young fellas in the 22, Nelson included,especially in some of the 'easier' home games. The more players who can just slot in to the first team the better.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 14:59

Didn't Nelson move into center at one point during the u20s? And i think he looked better at that point. But It was just perhaps because he saw more action, or was more in the thick of it hence me remembering him more at that stage. If I remember right, didn't he outshine Farrell?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 15:38

I thought Nelson was excellent at 13, better than at fullback. It was for the Italy game, though, and it was not a tough one. Less being in the thick of it than a less impressive opposition. Having said that, he did look head and shoulders above everyone else.

I thought Farrell looked nervous and poor apart from the last game. Olding was impressive at 13. however.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 15:38

clivemcl wrote:Didn't Nelson move into center at one point during the u20s? And i think he looked better at that point. But It was just perhaps because he saw more action, or was more in the thick of it hence me remembering him more at that stage. If I remember right, didn't he outshine Farrell?

He did Clive and looked very good there. He is a very talented lad who will benefit from playing with the likes of Payne and Wallace.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 18:02

I thought Nelson had a very good JWC but he can indeed be shakey. He is very talented though, he seems to have that natural instinct to exploit a gap or create space. The reason he looked better at 13 is because he had more chances to get involved. At a high level, I think he will ultimately be best at 15, where he will get more opportunities to counter in a better team setup.

Nice to see two BRA players getting so much praise btw. Wink

There will be another in a few years too I am sure.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 18:31

I thought after Hanrahan and Henderson, that Nelson was one of the most impressive from our Junior RWC Panel and certainly looked ready for Rabo level rugby.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 23:37

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-ready-for-tigers-test-1-4158519

With Wilson out, Henry and Ferris unavailable due to the player management scheme and Nick Williams yet to arrive due to visa issues we look like this in the backrow.

Mike McComish (6)
Ian Henderson (6)
Ali Birch (7)
Sean Doyle (7)
Robbie Diack (8)

Could be an early season weakness.

As a footnote, I think it's utterly ludicrous if we can't pick Tom Court and Tommy Bowe from Round 1 onwards given that Bowe has played no rugby since the Six Nations and Court has only played a handful of games since them himself.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 23:47

Agreed notch it's going to be tight on backrow but I am hoping Ali gets a chance and takes it. The Court and Bowe thing is Ludicrous.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 23:57

Notch wrote:http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-ready-for-tigers-test-1-4158519

With Wilson out, Henry and Ferris unavailable due to the player management scheme and Nick Williams yet to arrive due to visa issues we look like this in the backrow.

Mike McComish (6)
Ian Henderson (6)
Ali Birch (7)
Sean Doyle (7)
Robbie Diack (8)

Could be an early season weakness.

As a footnote, I think it's utterly ludicrous if we can't pick Tom Court and Tommy Bowe from Round 1 onwards given that Bowe has played no rugby since the Six Nations and Court has only played a handful of games since them himself.

Hendy can play 8 too, it was his main position at school. He might be better at 8 than 6 actually.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 0:24

I'd go Henderson-Birch-Diack. McComish is possibly the poorest player in our current squad of fully contracted players. I know how harsh that sounds, but I do think it's true.
Meanwhile, according to a poster who seems to be in the know on The Other Forum, the backline will look like this:

9.Heaney
10.NOC
11.Gilroy
12.L.Marshall
13.Farrell
14.Allen
15.Payne

With all change in tge second half.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 8:39

Tickets bought, any word on the teams? Will Sparky be there? Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 11:38

9-14. Under 25, Ulster Academy products. OK

Where is Nevin Spence this pre-season though?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 11:41

Nevin Spence is injured according to that article Notch.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 13:04

So currently injured are;

Paddy McAllister, Tom Court, Stephen Ferris, Roger Wilson, Paul Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Nevin Spence and Tommy Bowe.

Court, Marshall, Bowe and Ferris all expected to be back fit for the start of the season though

Currently unavailable due to IRFU player management; Henry, Tuohy, Fitzpatrick (?), Cave, Best, Trimble.

Currently unavailable due to Internationals; Ruan Pienaar. Currently unavailable due to unspecified visa issues; Nick Williams.

Jesus! Move fat Nick Williams into the engine room and we have an entire first XV missing;

1. Court/McAllister
2. Best
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Tuohy
5. Williams
6. Ferris
7. Henry
8. Wilson
9. Marshall
10. Pienaar
11. Trimble
12. Wallace
13. Cave
14. Spence
15. Bowe

That team would do feicing well and everything Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 15:32

Think the team we can't put out would do better than the team we can against Tigers,
Hope we beat Tigers even though its a pre season friendly, It must weight on their minds that Ravenhill has been the scene of thier 2 biggest losses in Europe.

A pre season friendly win would take a little of that edge off, if they had to come back to Ravenhill later in the year. (only a little mind)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:33

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/anscombe-impressed-by-ulster-pre-season-effort-204180.html

Ulster’s new Kiwi coach Mark Anscombe is quickly stamping his mark on the squad and so far it appears to be working.
Following a 20-15 victory over Bayonne at the end of an intense pre-season camp in the south of France, Ulster will again feature a smattering of old and new faces when Leicester Tigers roll into Ravenhill this Saturday afternoon for the second of three run-outs prior to the official kick-off on August 31.

It has been a tough training regime so far, and Anscombe seems pretty happy with the enthusiasm of the players and how they are responding to his coaching methods.

"Obviously I’m surprised by the amount of rain at this time of the year, but to be honest, I’m pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm of the players, and their punctuality to things," said Anscombe.

"We were always driving that back home about time keeping, but I’ve been blown away with that over here. Apart from that, rugby is rugby.

"The key is to get the common ground so that we are working together. Things were working so well here before; you don’t get to Heineken Cup finals if everything is a mess. It’s a matter of fine tuning and bringing my bit of flavour to the program. I have been very pleased with the response and how we have all worked together.

"As far as putting my slant on things, the players are definitely getting there, we are progressing towards that goal. We have some great people around us and that’s important too — people like David Humphreys, and coaches Neil Doak and Jonny Bell whom I’ve been really impressed with, along with senior players like Johann Muller and Jon Afoa.

"The biggest thing is to how to challenge this group to move into a bigger stage. A lot of it is personal accountability and taking some ownership themselves," said the Kiwi native.

"I want consistency," he said. "You don’t be selective, nor complacent, which I suspect is the case here. The key is to be consistent and challenge the guys to be professional week-in, week-out."

Is Mark Anscombe ruthless? "On certain things, yes. I’m big into having good relationships with people. We have to understand the processes and I don’t want to compromise the team for people. Some people might say there is a hard edge to me, but I do have a soft side as well. So it’s about balance."
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:40

Notch wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/anscombe-impressed-by-ulster-pre-season-effort-204180.html

Ulster’s new Kiwi coach Mark Anscombe is quickly stamping his mark on the squad and so far it appears to be working.
Following a 20-15 victory over Bayonne at the end of an intense pre-season camp in the south of France, Ulster will again feature a smattering of old and new faces when Leicester Tigers roll into Ravenhill this Saturday afternoon for the second of three run-outs prior to the official kick-off on August 31.

It has been a tough training regime so far, and Anscombe seems pretty happy with the enthusiasm of the players and how they are responding to his coaching methods.

"Obviously I’m surprised by the amount of rain at this time of the year, but to be honest, I’m pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm of the players, and their punctuality to things," said Anscombe.

"We were always driving that back home about time keeping, but I’ve been blown away with that over here. Apart from that, rugby is rugby.

"The key is to get the common ground so that we are working together. Things were working so well here before; you don’t get to Heineken Cup finals if everything is a mess. It’s a matter of fine tuning and bringing my bit of flavour to the program. I have been very pleased with the response and how we have all worked together.

"As far as putting my slant on things, the players are definitely getting there, we are progressing towards that goal. We have some great people around us and that’s important too — people like David Humphreys, and coaches Neil Doak and Jonny Bell whom I’ve been really impressed with, along with senior players like Johann Muller and Jon Afoa.

"The biggest thing is to how to challenge this group to move into a bigger stage. A lot of it is personal accountability and taking some ownership themselves," said the Kiwi native.

"I want consistency," he said. "You don’t be selective, nor complacent, which I suspect is the case here. The key is to be consistent and challenge the guys to be professional week-in, week-out."

Is Mark Anscombe ruthless? "On certain things, yes. I’m big into having good relationships with people. We have to understand the processes and I don’t want to compromise the team for people. Some people might say there is a hard edge to me, but I do have a soft side as well. So it’s about balance."

Interesting that Anscombe seems to think we suffer from complacancy a bit.

I like the cut of this guys jib so far. No messing around at all. It's early days but looks like he's put his stamp on things already.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:49

The ruthless bit is interesting to me. I think that David Humphrey's ruthlessness is one of the main reasons Ulster has got to where he is.

I think its a very important thing to have (one the Irish international coaching panel do not seem to have).

I know that Guy Noves is rated as one of the most ruthless coaches in Europe and it is no wonder that he has 10 French Championships and 4 Heineken Cup Medals.

However there is a fine line between being ruthless just being a p*ick. Its a tough one to manage.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:57

red_stag wrote:However there is a fine line between being ruthless just being a p*ick. Its a tough one to manage.

Absolutely and the jury is still out. A good coach knows when to compromise and how to get the best out of his team, which may differ from player to player. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with the senior guys.

A coaches job isn't to make his players his happy, it's to get them to perform. Sometimes the two go hand in hand but sometimes they don't.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 8:10

rodders wrote:
red_stag wrote:However there is a fine line between being ruthless just being a p*ick. Its a tough one to manage.

Absolutely and the jury is still out. A good coach knows when to compromise and how to get the best out of his team, which may differ from player to player. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with the senior guys.

A coaches job isn't to make his players his happy, it's to get them to perform. Sometimes the two go hand in hand but sometimes they don't.

Very well said Rodders. You'd like to imagine a world where everyone loves everyone and thats how we win things - cause they are basically all a big happy bunch of best friends. But there will always be players who will feel hard done by. A good coach will keep a player happy and hopeful despite non-selection. It has to be about respect.

I'll always remember a few seasons back on twitter, Paddy wallace said something like "Darren Cave will have to watch his back with Nevin Spence coming through!" And i think Spence or Cave retweeted saying "Or maybe its Paddy who needs to be concerned for his position". All very light hearted and we did indeed see a Cave Spence partnership quite a lot.

But clearly those three guys respect and like each other.

On the flip side, I remember Reading the article about Trimble being dropped for the World Cup opener in favour of Fitzgerald who lacked match fitness despite Trimble being the standout performer. Trimble admitted to being in tears. I think the relationship between players is every bit as important as the relationship between players and coach.

The coach can help to create that atmosphere though. Ulster seem to be one of the best for it. Competitive but caring. The guys genuinely seem to be proud of each other. I hope Anscombe buys into that.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 18:35

McComb says in the Bele Tele today tfat Ansconbe has basically said that the past is a foreign country, and if you perform this season, you're in. No incumbents, basically. He (McConb) is fired up about earning a starting place.

Promising.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 18:51

Great attitude for Anscombe to come in with as it gives every player in the squad the belief that they can claim a starting place which undoubtedly acts as motivation to play well.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 20:27

So this poster on UAFC has posted this will be the starting team;

1. Black
2. Brady
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Muller (c)
5. Stevenson
6. Diack
7. Birch
8. Williams (he's here!)

9. Heaney
10. O'Connor
11. Gilroy
12. Marshall
13. Farrell
14. Allen
15. Payne

He was right about the backline to face Bayonne. I'm thinking if thats our team with 13/14 guys missing we could be competitive in the league this year- IF Anscombe can get the best out of them. I'm not nailing all my hopes on a win- it will depend on who Tigers name- but I'm very hopeful that we will see a number of guys put their hands up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 7:38

That is some team, all things considered! Hoping to get down, but have some painting to do round the house.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 7:41

Also, there I was imagining suffering through the mizzle and wind, and then I just looked at the weather forecast!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655984

OK

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 8:58

I doubt we'll win, and it really doesn't bother me to be honest. I think what's infinitely more important is that we see indications that some players are ready to step up (Marshall and Diack especially) and that others reassure that they can at least do a job (Black, Heaney, O'Connor).

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 9:46

Good interview with Neil McComb. One of the nicest guys in Ulster Rugby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Jh4maxgnk&feature=share

If he can be less affable on the pitch he might have a good season for us!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:19

Team is as yer man said;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/10700.php
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:22

Ulster (15-9): J Payne; C Gilroy, C Farrell, L Marshall; M Allen, N O'Connor, M Heaney (1-8): C Black, N Brady, A Macklin, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, R Diack, A Birch, N Williams;
Replacements: R Lutton, R Herring, N Annett, J Afoa, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, S Doyle, B McIlroy, P Jackson, C Cochrane, S Olding, R Andrews, P Nelson

So who are the ones to listen out for in that lot Notch?

The Tigers team won't be put up until later or perhaps tomorrow. Last week the Jersey website had the team up for an entire day before the Tigers website got their act together. I'd imagine it would be a mix between the squad players and some returning England players (who were in an EPS camp last week).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:29

Notch, who is yer man?? Did Geoff go over to the dark side you think???

I'd be keen to see if Marshall still looks as good as previous seasons, and want to to see if Diack and Birch are stepping up.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:30

Sam
J Payne - came last year, very highly rated in super XV, 3 games and then injuried for the season, so like a new signing, we're looking forward to seeing him and what he can do. The experienced player in the back.

Gilroy - think most people know the danger of him, with THAT try against Munster in H-cup

Marshall, hopeing this is the year he breaks through, exciting 12

Fitzpatrick - future tighthead after the Afoa era ends

P Jackson, should be 1st choice 10 this season and a lot of hope is being placed on him to stand up.

Nelson, had a good junior world cup, and will be the future Ulster fullback,

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:35

Well Jared Payne was the Blues Player of the season in SuperRugby 2011. He signed for Ulster once he knew he wasn't in line for an All Blacks cap, though there were those in the NZ press who advocated him. He plays 13 or 15 and Conrad Smith and Israel Dagg are not short of competition...

Unfortunately once he arrived in Ulster, he tore his achilles tendon in his third game. So he missed the entire season- this is a big moment for him, his first home game since the injury. And only his third home game overall. So he is a majorly talented player with a big point to prove.

Craig Gilroy is a rising star. He scored the decisive try against Munster in our Heineken Cup quarter-final ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZJuHJcfdQ ) and got two tries against the Barbarians for Ireland in the summer. H was unfortunate not to get on the NZ tour. Still just 21 years old.

Luke Marshall is a recent Academy graduate that I have high hopes for. He's a convert from 10 to 12 with all the passing and kicking skills of a flyhalf, but he has the strength and physicality that many playmaker 12s lack. If he can realise his potential he'll be an excellent player.

The forwards are good, maybe better than the backs, but they are all solid players rather than individually outstanding. Obviously Johann Muller is an outstanding lineout technician and Diack and Williams will be key; we need their ball carrying to be top notch to give those three 'glory-boys' I mentioned earlier the space they need to work their magic Smile OK

Last edited by Notch on Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 10:36; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next