The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis

+20
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
droogle
The Special Juan
mckay1402
dummy_half
VTR
lydian
kemet
Born Slippy
bogbrush
CaledonianCraig
laverfan
Danny_1982
break_in_the_fifth
barrystar
banbrotam
socal1976
FedsFan
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis  - Page 4 Empty Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis

Post by FedsFan Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Congratulations to Murray on winning Gold at the Olympics. It is quite an achievement in terms of how long British Tennis has not had anything to celebrate since 1977. Murray was the better player this week by far and he was the better player on the day.

Most are viewing this win as being on a par with a slam. Sure this was tough as it was daily play for a week but are people now getting a little bit carried away here? I for one wanted Fed to win this just to tick the box on his CV. Would I have preferred he win the Gold and not Wimbledon? DEFINITELY NOT! I think you are remembered for the slams at the end of day.

Today Federer seemed flat. I cannot help but feel it was that marathon with JMDP that knocked the stuffing out of him just a bit. It was his fault really for not closing that semi sooner but I for one was expecting Murray to come through this one in straight sets. That Gold should be shared with JMDP as I cannot see Fed having put in such a poor performance otherwise. He was tight and nervous as this meant more to him I think than Murray.

Where does this leave Murray on the scale of 'greatness'? All over the media it seems as if he has been elevated to a level of a slam winner which I think is not accurate. If this was best of five throughout would he have won comfortably against Djoko? He did blow a 2 set to love lead at AO vs Djokovic this year. Also, what now for Federer? This is surely his last Olympic games and it seems he is not destined to win an Olympic gold in singles. I always maintained that in his prime he failed to achieve it and the chances of him doing it now were slim. I hoped I would be wrong but I guess I was not.

Last edited by FedsFan on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis  - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:05 pm

Also, it's a well known psychological principle that if two people say the same thing and you already dislike one of them, you'll interpret the same words more negatively than if the one you like said it.
We tend to concentrate on anything we can interpret negatively about someone we already think negatively about.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis  - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympic Tennis Event 2012: Mens Final Analysis

Post by laverfan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 11:03 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lydian no one who wears a monogramed creme leisure suit with the number of championships he has won emblazoned on it could possibly be accused of being narcissitic. I don't know how you could come to such a conclusion.

You live in the US and you do realise that NBA, NFL and others have rings and clothing made which is worn on the day of the final as 'winner' for both teams. The 'losing' teams just do not bring out their paraphernalia. Every individual is narcissistic, by definition, correct? The difference is one of degrees.

Also, remember, he has history with the Djokovic family (parents), not just the player himself. Wink

I would also highly recommend reading Pancho's biography and how he treated his fellow pros. He is supposed to have smashed trophies which his opponents had won beating him.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 11:54 pm

Yes he was well hated priick Pancho, Agassi's brother in law I believe. Either way it isn't like I am be unfair in my comments laverfan. I did not claim Rgoer was evil or a bad person. I just pointed out his own track record of quotes in the media made over and over again. As for Djokovic' parents I am not saying he was never instigated or aggrieved in anyway. But overrall other than that one comment by Novak's mother no himself which he instantly distanced himself from it has been all one way traffic with Roger doing most of the dishing and bullying.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

Bullying behaviour? I guess the best wums tend to be the more subtle ones.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4