The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics Day 3

+14
EnglishReign
owen10ozzy
Good Golly I'm Olly
ChequeredJersey
eirebilly
whocares
Jennifer1984
mystiroakey
GSC
pontylad
John Cregan
Shelsey93
Duty281
Dave.
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Olympics Day 3 - Page 4 Empty Olympics Day 3

Post by Dave. Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Day 3 of the Games and the first main weekday. Men's gymnastics today, we also have individual archery and the cross country in the three day event. Much more as well, including Rowing and Swimming. We kick off at 0830 with South Korea and New Zealand in the men's hockey.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Olympics Day 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics Day 3

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Is it unfair that participants in team sports such as Basketball, Hockey and Football get to listen to their own countries national anthem prior to the start of every match, whilst participants in individual sports such as athletics, swimming, badminton, judo, gymnastics etc (i.e. the sports normally associated with a Summer Olympics prior to 1988) won't get a cats in hells chance of listening to their own national anthem until he or she wins the event they entered into?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 pm

practical rather than unfair

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm

gboycottnut wrote:Is it unfair that participants in team sports such as Basketball, Hockey and Football get to listen to their own countries national anthem prior to the start of every match, whilst participants in individual sports such as athletics, swimming, badminton, judo, gymnastics etc (i.e. the sports normally associated with a Summer Olympics prior to 1988) won't get a cats in hells chance of listening to their own national anthem until he or she wins the event they entered into?

Not really. The only way around it would be to scrap the anthems (in the football etc) altogether then. You can't play each anthem before a swimming/athletics heat and so on otherwise the games would go on forever.

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:practical rather than unfair

I was thinking more along the lines of no national anthems being played at the start of matches for all the team sport events until the time of the medal ceremony for the winning team.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Was at the Table Tennis tonight for the men's last 16. We saw some fantastic matches - the world number 1 was taken to 7 games by a Belarussian and eventually came through, the world number 6 was knocked out by a lower-ranked Romanian and a match between someone from Hong Kong and North Korea got very heated deep into the 7th game. Does anyone know what the yellow card in Table Tennis is for? The guy from Hong Kong was shown it twice!

Really enjoyed it, and left us wanting more. A quick check online reveals that tickets are very hard to come by though.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:practical rather than unfair

I was thinking more along the lines of no national anthems being played at the start of matches for all the team sport events until the time of the medal ceremony for the winning team.

right yeah i get your point. dunno dude- i dont really like national anthems anyway- I suppose its just the done thing across the board in all sports wether its the olympics or not.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Apparently a yellow card in TT is for misbehaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

GB Women won their first ever olympic volleyball match over Algeria 3 sets to 2. A fine achievement given how Algeria were strong favourites.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4