The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The lost art of Fed-worshipping

+8
coolpixel
Jarvik
kemet
invisiblecoolers
Josiah Maiestas
luciusmann
reckoner
bogbrush
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The lost art of Fed-worshipping Empty The lost art of Fed-worshipping

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

The once popular activity of worshipping the greatest player ever has fallen out of fashion in recent years, more or less dating back to January 2008. There was a brief revival in 2009 but it didn't last as rivals chased down his Slam record and Djokovic flirted with the Grand Slam.

Now once again let this lost art flourish again!

All contemporaries have been reminded that even at almost 31, witha dodgy back, he is still officially the best player on the planet again.

As High Priest I invite the congregation to gather and join me as we begin writing lots of articles*.

* No irritating ones though!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

The lost art of Fed-worshipping Empty Re: The lost art of Fed-worshipping

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:47 pm

BB you are too much of a nervous Nellie to be a high priest I'm afraid!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

He looked every inch the best player in the world right now.

He kept his composure remarkably well even though the crowd was heavily for Murray and even the line judges weren't doing the job properly! Even when it looked like the 2nd might slip away, he held in there and took his first opportunity when it came. Just brilliant!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:54 pm

reckoner wrote:BB you are too much of a nervous Nellie to be a high priest I'm afraid!

I construct elaborate psyche-down webs to control myself. Do not be deceived. Lydian wasn't.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

http://live-tennis.eu/

Oh that looks nice!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

If am being honest I don't quite think he's good enough to beat Nadal or Djokovic on hard courts, maybe even see some unheralded players be able to beat him in USO or AO. Wimbledon he can still win another!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:If am being honest I don't quite think he's good enough to beat Nadal or Djokovic on hard courts, maybe even see some unheralded players be able to beat him in USO or AO. Wimbledon he can still win another!
Heretic!!!

Burn him! Burn him!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:01 pm

bogbrush wrote:
reckoner wrote:BB you are too much of a nervous Nellie to be a high priest I'm afraid!

I construct elaborate psyche-down webs to control myself. Do not be deceived. Lydian wasn't.

High priests need faith not psyche down webs. I appoint you sub deacon pending review! Very Happy

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

Haaaaaaaaaaalleluuuuuuuuuujah, Oh minions it is a glorious day.

The king is back, long live the king

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:If am being honest I don't quite think he's good enough to beat Nadal or Djokovic on hard courts, maybe even see some unheralded players be able to beat him in USO or AO. Wimbledon he can still win another!

He is the greatest player of grass and I had no doubt he would do it in Wimbledon when many questioned him, in USO its gonna be very close and there are several contenders outside the top 4.

Del Po is there
Tsonga is there
Berdych is there
Ferrer is there too
Americans like Isner, Roddick , Fish are there.

Soderling unfortunate to be in injury otherwise he would be there, and ofcourse the darkhorses.

But saying all that Fed at 31 is playing great and proved enough why he is the GOAT thumbsup , I just want him to win the Olympics and don't care what happens after that.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

This calls for a "maineventlads" post. I know they were quite mental, but for me they are unmatched in their eloquence and wit.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:19 pm

It still feels unreal, that Fed actually has a grand slam again. I doubted this day would come, that he could win another again, I feared the worst after the Benny match but I erred on the side of caution, maybe he had weathered the worst and thankfully it was true!

Of all the grand slams though, many of us thought Wimbledon was his second best chance, after the USO. This win is so important for Fed, maybe he will convert match points if he meets Djokovic this year (but this time it will be the final hopefully)!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

The truly staggering thing, greater than #7 is the #1. To win Wimbledon would require only two weeks if form. To be #1 he has had to do it week in, week out for...... well, a year!

It's astonishing. Simply astonishing.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:32 pm

bogbrush wrote:The truly staggering thing, greater than #7 is the #1. To win Wimbledon would require only two weeks if form. To be #1 he has had to do it week in, week out for...... well, a year!

Watching the post match interview, it actually slipped my mind he got the #1 too! I was too caught up in the amazing come back and victory of winning the 7th!

Good chance he'll have it till the end of the first week of August, so an addition 4 + 285 = new record of 289 and probably more weeks if he does better (no need to win it anymore) @ Canada & Cinci, so he could get it upto around 295 or even 300 weeks by the end of the year.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:33 pm

Seriously hats off to Fed. He's responded in the best possible way after that ghastly loss at the USO! What a player, what a man.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm

luciusmann wrote:
bogbrush wrote:The truly staggering thing, greater than #7 is the #1. To win Wimbledon would require only two weeks if form. To be #1 he has had to do it week in, week out for...... well, a year!

Watching the post match interview, it actually slipped my mind he got the #1 too! I was too caught up in the amazing come back and victory of winning the 7th!

Good chance he'll have it till the end of the first week of August, so an addition 4 + 285 = new record of 289 and probably more weeks if he does better (no need to win it anymore) @ Canada & Cinci, so he could get it upto around 295 or even 300 weeks by the end of the year.
He'll lose it after the Olympics unless he outdoes Djokovic, but then will probably have it back after Canada.

If he can outdo Djokovic at the US Open he almost certainly will get 300 weeks.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarvik Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

Marvellous performance by Federer. He was, for him, pretty solid on the baseline after the nervous first set, returned well and his aggressive tactics/net play paid dividends. I was actually less emotional by the end than I was for the semi final for some reason perhaps because Andy played pretty well but was clearly inferior so there was a bit of inevitability about it all. Still - a great result for the history of tennis because the best player ever deserves all the records he gets!

Jarvik

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:
luciusmann wrote:

He'll lose it after the Olympics unless he outdoes Djokovic, but then will probably have it back after Canada.

Strangely, he doesn't need to outdo Djokovic @ the USO, he just needs to make the semis like last year because Djokovic already has 2, 000 for the USO and is still behind Fed even when it's included. What he needs is a really good performance @ Canada and equal or better @ Cinci and he'll hold onto the #1 spot until Shanghai.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

BTW, Fed's net play was sublime today. Again it was a throwback to his glory days.

People like Socal claim that Roger is a good volleyer but not a great one.

Nonsense, he is the best volleyer in the top 10. It's just that it is so hard to volley with success in the modern game where all the advatnges with strings, and court conditions favour the baseliner.

Fed won 53 of 68 points at the net today. Against such an exceptional mover and passer as Andy Murray that is just phenomenal.

The fact that he came to the net 68 times is itself incredible.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

check it out:

The lost art of Fed-worshipping Q1ZMq

king

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

luciusmann wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
luciusmann wrote:

Strangely, he doesn't need to outdo Djokovic @ the USO, he just needs to make the semis like last year because Djokovic already has 2, 000 for the USO and is still behind Fed even when it's included. What he needs is a really good performance @ Canada and equal or better @ Cinci and he'll hold onto the #1 spot until Shanghai.
I'm getting greedy. A great US swing and the y/e rank is in play.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

bogbrush wrote:
luciusmann wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
luciusmann wrote:

I'm getting greedy. A great US swing and the y/e rank is in play.

I like it bb, a bit of faith!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:29 pm

I never lost it, I just lie.

Lydian knows me.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

there is greedy, there is greedier, there is greediest, and then there are Fed Fans. Very Happy

salut Mac.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

coolpixel wrote:there is greedy, there is greedier, there is greediest, and then there are Fed Fans. Very Happy

salut Mac.

Yo pixel.

Where've you been?

Today makes you wish Wise_Analyst was still in town, eh?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Lol BB, I know you...and I bet you punched the air several times and shouted vociferously when Murray's shot went wide on MP Wink

You know as a long-time Sampras fan I have to hand it to Federer. People on the forum know I find Fed a little narcissistic but his tennis is without question or largely equal... there were times in the match when he was at a level Murray can only dream of. I still think of the 30-30 and 30-40 points at 5-6 in the 2nd. The way he ripped that backhand and then that sublime side-spun volley was something to behold. His FH in sets 3 and 4 was amazing and looked dangerous all the time. Murray knew the game was up.

But to get back to #1 in his 30s after the stellar 2011 by Djokovic shows the resistance and dogged determination of the man. And "fair do's", he had to beat Djokovic to usurp him too. Federer beat his expected semi opponent, Murray never met his.

I still think that if Federer is at peak he beats everyone...except Nadal (although he's better than Nadal indoors granted). Nadal is a proposition he's never mastered which speaks to the quality of Nadal if we're fair. However, this isnt about Nadal...and Nadal hasn't shown the same level of longevity, or getting back to #1. In many respects they're just different players given Roger excels at faster court tennis, Nadal slower court. And what of Djokovic now...?

Anyway back to Federer. Hats off...I recognise the quality, longevity and force of will Federer brings to the court. And I say this as a SHBH player...some of those BH shots he plays under extreme pressure are unreal. The play those shots in today's power game at crucial points, because the SHBH is such a risky shot due to the timing needed, takes cojones.

The funny thing I don't think that was vintage Federer throughout todays match, his serve wasn't it's best throughout...but he had those gears he could go through when needed...Nadal also does this in my opinion. Djokovic lesser so. They find a way. For me this is the big difference for Murray...he just doesn't seem to have the ability at the very highest level to go to another level/gear. Lendl, or anyone else, can't teach that. It's built in.

At times the gulf in class was stark to be honest...and Murray probably knows it deep down. Anyway, I'm not a convert to the man overall but I am a fan of his tennis...and what he's done this past 12 months is nothing short of remarkable. Over the past 12 months I have warmed to him more admittedly, as it's a shame to see his brand of tennis disappearing, and his tennis in particular we know has only so long left. I've also recognised the effort he's put in and hasn't allowed himself to get downhearted by Djokovic-Nadal dominating the tour up until his run post USO (and I still think he was unlucky on those USO MPs).

And with the run of success he has now built, and the fact I dont think Nadal or Novak will go on a slam streak, he could now break 300 weeks and beyond at #1 IMO.

Allez Federer, the most successful - and probably the best (I don't believe in the GOAT term, BB knows that) - player of all time OK

Bubbly to him and his flock under BB's present sermon.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:11 pm

I'd probably agree, the YE No.1 could be in play. I'd probably say he needs to win Canada or Cinci if his performance @ the USO ends in the semis again so that it can make up the potential loss of points @ Paris & WTF. That way, he just needs a decent run at the end of the season without needing to win everything like last year.

Ideally, winning Canada would cause the most damage to Djokovic's chances because Fed will deny him a lot of points while gaining a lot himself. That's probably the easiest way of getting the YE No.1 for him without needing to win the USO or all or most of the indoor tournaments. .

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

Hug Lydian

Yes, all that about me being calm lasted until 0-1 first set, and I was hugely relieved after mp (especially as he'd actually won it the point before!).

Totally agree, his serve was vulnerable all day and I was praying for a 2nd break in the 4th set.

And yes again, the 7th Wimbledon is great but the #1 in the face of Djokovic and Nadal in their pomp is unbelievable. I keep checking this http://live-tennis.eu/ to convince myself.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:15 pm

luciusmann wrote:I'd probably agree, the YE No.1 could be in play. I'd probably say he needs to win Canada or Cinci if his performance @ the USO ends in the semis again so that it can make up the potential loss of points @ Paris & WTF. That way, he just needs a decent run at the end of the season without needing to win everything like last year.

Ideally, winning Canada would cause the most damage to Djokovic's chances because Fed will deny him a lot of points while gaining a lot himself. That's probably the easiest way of getting the YE No.1 for him without needing to win the USO or all or most of the indoor tournaments. .
I want the USO. Just for today nothing is believable.

Seriously, yes you're right. Maybe play Shanghi too, he skipped that in 2011. Flog himself for this grand hurrah!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Well said Lydian. Very gracious Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:21 pm

Reckoner, great chart, did you make it yourself?

Nadal is still in with a chance of getting the slam record, but his opportunity looked better at the end of '10. Fed looks (slight?) favourite at the moment.

Djokovic has gone from no chance to outside chance (2011) to long shot (2012).

The thing with Rafa though is he could win several more FOs just yet, so he has to be in with a chance.

As for Fed, now he's equalled the Wimbledon record, the all-time record is in play next year.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

Problem or Nadal is winning enough off clay; when all's said and done its only 4 all career!

With Djokovic still going strong, and Fed & Murray plus some newbies around I think he might make 13/14.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:38 pm

By the way, bringing a touch of the 'Wooffie' into it, it was quite cool to have your twin daughters clapping Daddy wasn't it. As a Dad myself I could see why that might have made him rather happy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:39 pm

I got to admit, today feels unreal.

I still remember when I put up the thread, 'Fed's Chances @ Wimbledon', and if I'm honest, not in my wildest dreams did I think he would win Wimbledon. My main hope was that he would keep chipping away @ Djokovic's lead @ the top and would get the No.1 spot back during the course of the summer, probably after the USO. I never thought he would actually get it immediately after Wimbledon!

It's such a special day today, it doesn't just seal a record equalising 7th Wimbledon title, it doesn't just set the new record of 17 slams, it restores him back to the pinnacle of the game, a place he hasn't been at for 2 years. By reaching that pinnacle, he overtakes Sampras (in weeks @ No.1) and sets his own new records.

It was lovely to see Rod Laver say he was a Federer fan and even Becker admitted it after Fed beat Djokovic!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:40 pm

In this form Olympic Gold and USO have to be strong options for him...especially OG on grass...and best of 3 until the final...suits Fed down to the ground. Let's not forget OG is worth a very handy 750 points.

Lol BB Smile...I have to say/admit I rooted for Roger all match even though a Murray win was good for British tennis as a whole. I thought mid 2nd set he was in trouble but then his level went up from sheer force of will. After the set was won 7-5 I knew there was only one winner. Also...Federer had run Murray ragged in those first 2 sets and the tank was looking increasingly empty.

#1 ranking vs peak Nadal and Djokovic is truly remarkable, agreed. I always thought he might have a Sampras moment (contemplate leaving on a high) on winning his next slam but now I don't think so.

And...these records he's setting are unlikely to be broken in our lifetime. Long may we see his brand of tennis cutting it at the very top...and I hope it sends a message to a new generation - that attacking tennis with a SHBH can still win slams...and for that future possibility I'm now thankful to Federer.

Tellingly I asked my young son, who plays junior tennis tournaments weekly around the NorthWest, who he wanted to win today. He said Federer..."he's cool, and plays amazing shots....Murray is just negative and boring". I hadn't said a word about Murray or prompted any thoughts on his type of tennis, etc!!!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:46 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Reckoner, great chart, did you make it yourself?

Nadal is still in with a chance of getting the slam record, but his opportunity looked better at the end of '10. Fed looks (slight?) favourite at the moment.

Djokovic has gone from no chance to outside chance (2011) to long shot (2012).

The thing with Rafa though is he could win several more FOs just yet, so he has to be in with a chance.

As for Fed, now he's equalled the Wimbledon record, the all-time record is in play next year.

Cheers Bill, yes I did!

Must agree that lydian's comments are very gracious! Hug

What a day, what a fabulous day!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:53 pm

Yeah, Fed must have been thoroughly chuffed to have his daughters there on a slam winning day...hopefully they'll remember him winning.

Yep BB, Nadal needs to pick up his game again for sure...but let's not forget he was very near at AO this year. He'll still be a threat everywhere and if he finished on 13/14 that's not a bad innings within the history of the game.

But Federer is now making his own statements...and whilst he can play tennis like that he deserves to be at the top of the game ranking wise. You know, I've always wondered wht motivates him to stay there, to keep practicing, etc. he even said today that after his kids were born he devoted himself to the game even more...could it be they renewed his motivation? Whatever it is I hope we get to hear about what it is someday when he writes his memoirs.

Last edited by lydian on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:53 pm

Lydian is granted honorary Fed-worshipped status, just for the day (unless he wants more!).

Wow. In two weeks we've had me cheering on Rafa at the French and Lydian cheering Fed at Wimbledon. Strange times!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:56 pm

Mac you are on a roll today. i am wondering if Fed will still be motivated by Olympics.. after all it is a lesser event in the grand scheme of tennis.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

listening to the breaking of the fellowship from the fellowship of the ring soundtrack.
boi does it encapsulate this whole wonderful and beautiful day with such beautiful music.
crying with happiness FEDS IS ON TOP OF THE WORLD Yahoo

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

Haha BB....strange times indeed! Thanks for the status...you just have to take your hat off to sublime tennis and achievements. And as an avid tennis fan, player and coach to my son its impossible to deny the talent the man has on a court. You know, I still see Nadal as a special player too, for different reasons, but now that we're getting more and more of a similar type/approach of player rising up...inc Djokovic and Murray...I'm against the elimination of variety and true all court players...of which I see Federer the last of the dying breed at the top of the game. Others may think they're all court players but they're not. So whilst Fed plays his style, his way - flying in the face of so called progress - then I'm a supporter of what he represents in the sport and the way he goes about his tennis. Never thought I'd be saying this but when he goes I'll lament the passing of his brand and ability of tennis. The game needs him now more than ever...and I'd like to see more wins to encourage future players as to the way it can be done/played, even if they can't actually be another Federer.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm

....to just add/expand....because the game has always thrived off the Nadal-Federer type mix-up...not the Nadal-Djokovic mix up. Sure let's see more Nadal's, but we need more Federer's too...because it seems he's the only guy carrying the torch for the game that has evolved through Laver > McEnroe > Becker/Edberg > Sampras and now him.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:38 pm

Agree. Fed/Nadal has something Djokovic/Nadal never will.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by spdocoffee Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:57 pm

Great graph by reckoner. I think Nadal will really struggle to to overhaul Federer's record.

He isn't going to win French Opens forever, and through his entire career he has 'only' won four slams outside of Roland Garros.

In terms of body condition he's an old 26, whereas Federer is a young 30.

Most of all though for Nadal he hasn't won any title off clay for something like 21 months... and it isn't going to get any easier for him.

spdocoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

LuvSports! wrote:listening to the breaking of the fellowship from the fellowship of the ring soundtrack
Wouldn't "Return of the King" be more apt Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:29 pm

Thank God there was no special costume to mark the event, nothing like a catsuit with a big "1" on the front.

He did, though, give us a little insight into his often painful honesty when his big consolation to Andy was that he was sure he'd win at least one Slam some day. Ouch! He meant well but coming from someone with 17 it was a touch unfortunate.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by spdocoffee Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

Yes BB.

I think Federer would actually have been surprised by Murray's misses at crucial points in today's match, and was probably primed for a more drawn out war than what he got. He mentioned Murray's consistency and how he would win a slam one day... basically pointing to the fact he still doesn't have a career defining win and that based on what he has done in his career he will eventually win one by default.

I remember his speech when winning Wimby in '06. A misguided attempt to put Rafa in his place, probably out of fear more than anything. However I am more inclined to agree with him on his assessment of Murray today.

And yes thank goodness no gold PJs or Wimbledon onesies on show by Fed today!

spdocoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:45 am

BB, you might like this read...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9385599/Wimbledon-2012-Roger-Federer-appears-to-defy-time-itself-with-his-amazing-grace-in-victory-over-Andy-Murray.html
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

lydian wrote:Lol BB, I know you...and I bet you punched the air several times and shouted vociferously when Murray's shot went wide on MP Wink

You know as a long-time Sampras fan I have to hand it to Federer. People on the forum know I find Fed a little narcissistic but his tennis is without question or largely equal... there were times in the match when he was at a level Murray can only dream of. I still think of the 30-30 and 30-40 points at 5-6 in the 2nd. The way he ripped that backhand and then that sublime side-spun volley was something to behold. His FH in sets 3 and 4 was amazing and looked dangerous all the time. Murray knew the game was up.

But to get back to #1 in his 30s after the stellar 2011 by Djokovic shows the resistance and dogged determination of the man. And "fair do's", he had to beat Djokovic to usurp him too. Federer beat his expected semi opponent, Murray never met his.

I still think that if Federer is at peak he beats everyone...except Nadal (although he's better than Nadal indoors granted). Nadal is a proposition he's never mastered which speaks to the quality of Nadal if we're fair. However, this isnt about Nadal...and Nadal hasn't shown the same level of longevity, or getting back to #1. In many respects they're just different players given Roger excels at faster court tennis, Nadal slower court. And what of Djokovic now...?

Anyway back to Federer. Hats off...I recognise the quality, longevity and force of will Federer brings to the court. And I say this as a SHBH player...some of those BH shots he plays under extreme pressure are unreal. The play those shots in today's power game at crucial points, because the SHBH is such a risky shot due to the timing needed, takes cojones.

The funny thing I don't think that was vintage Federer throughout todays match, his serve wasn't it's best throughout...but he had those gears he could go through when needed...Nadal also does this in my opinion. Djokovic lesser so. They find a way. For me this is the big difference for Murray...he just doesn't seem to have the ability at the very highest level to go to another level/gear. Lendl, or anyone else, can't teach that. It's built in.

At times the gulf in class was stark to be honest...and Murray probably knows it deep down. Anyway, I'm not a convert to the man overall but I am a fan of his tennis...and what he's done this past 12 months is nothing short of remarkable. Over the past 12 months I have warmed to him more admittedly, as it's a shame to see his brand of tennis disappearing, and his tennis in particular we know has only so long left. I've also recognised the effort he's put in and hasn't allowed himself to get downhearted by Djokovic-Nadal dominating the tour up until his run post USO (and I still think he was unlucky on those USO MPs).

And with the run of success he has now built, and the fact I dont think Nadal or Novak will go on a slam streak, he could now break 300 weeks and beyond at #1 IMO.

Allez Federer, the most successful - and probably the best (I don't believe in the GOAT term, BB knows that) - player of all time OK

Bubbly to him and his flock under BB's present sermon.

Great post my friend thumbsup Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

emancipator wrote:BTW, Fed's net play was sublime today. Again it was a throwback to his glory days.

People like Socal claim that Roger is a good volleyer but not a great one.

Nonsense, he is the best volleyer in the top 10. It's just that it is so hard to volley with success in the modern game where all the advatnges with strings, and court conditions favour the baseliner.

Fed won 53 of 68 points at the net today. Against such an exceptional mover and passer as Andy Murray that is just phenomenal.

The fact that he came to the net 68 times is itself incredible.

Great Post emanci thumbsup Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next