The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE LOST

+12
Scrumpy
Knackeredknees
jimmyinthewell68
hugehandoff
Toohey
rainbow-warrior
Cyril
tigerleghorn
Metal Tiger
LondonTiger
Scarpia
bedfordwelsh
16 posters

Go down

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE LOST Empty CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE LOST

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:01 am

This is the first Lions Series win since 97, 16 long years.  Now if you listen to some of the posts on here better prepared, better equipped and certainly better managed squads have gone and lost tours yet we won this one.

Lions series are all about the TESTS no one remembers the mid week games really and would people honestly have seen the Lions play fluent care free rugby every test but lost the series?

Or the hard nosed power game we had that actually WON us the first test series FOR 16 YEARS FFS
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE LOST Empty Re: CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE LOST

Post by Scarpia Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:05 am

You're missing the point. There are people on here who hate Gatland's tactics and management methods. Therefore they would have complained about aspects of this tour irrespective of results.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:09 am

I agree Scarpia but at the end of the day we won the series which so called better coaches and man managers have failed to do in the past, including the disaster that was 05 but I still never wanted the Lions to lose the series.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:12 am

But, they say, "Australia is the weakest of the SH rugby nations/they were suffering from injuries/their coach is terrible/they don't have an outside half.........................."

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:24 am

Well we would not have had a plethora of holier than thou posts.

Some of us supported the Lions, supported Gatland and his coaches (whilst still being critical of some decisions). some of us defended Gatland and the coaches when they were under attack from posters of all nationalities. Apparently that is not good enough for some of you. Apparently we have to genuflect and hail him as a genius who got everything right.

Well I am not willing to do that.

In fact only people who believe that Matt Stevens was a good decision can do that without being a hypocrite.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:28 am

It is quite true that the injury ravaged Australian 2nd string that was put out for the Wales team (with a couple of tokens) is by far the poorest of the top SH big 3 and the only reason the virtually discredited Gatland ball tactic finally worked on the 9th attempt.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:29 am

LT,

Not saying he got everything right and have criticised him myself about things hes done in the Welsh set and will do in the future I am sure BUT theres criticism and then theres the stuff that has been put out on various sights.

If he had got it wrong hes big enough to admit it but are some pundits posters etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:04 am

Most have admitted they may have got things wrong, not all but most. Not worth worrying about the minority, they will always jump up and down and shout, best to ignore - otherwise we go mad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:21 am

He has to be the luckiest Lions coach ever. One fluffed kick at the end of the first test saved him from mediocrity and cost Deans his job.

Much to change in the Lions setup next time around.

This was the easiest of the three tours by far and we still nearly blew it. I'd suggest a sharp intake of breath rather than chest puffing!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:37 am

That Lions tour was like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:39 am

......................and there you have it, bitter and twisted english. My God 2005 was the pit's from the world's worst coach, don't mention a dropped goal in extra time of a match. Roll on the 6 Nations so I can see more wheels falling off them 2nd hand rusty chariots.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:48 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:......................and there you have it, bitter and twisted english.  My God 2005 was the pit's from the world's worst coach
Hypocrisy much? Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:22 am

Lions support is becoming a lot like religion.  Lots of people think it’s an outdated concept but a lot of people are absolutely dedicated and get a lot of comfort from it.  These groups seem to get on fine.  Then you get the lovely people who come knocking on your door trying to force it down your throat.

So basically what I am trying to say is that you are the Jehovah’s witnesses of the rugby fan world.  Or worse still the crazy b*stards who just stand it the middle of a shopping center shouting ‘jesus will save you’ over and over at the top of their lungs.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:36 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:......................and there you have it, bitter and twisted english.  My God 2005 was the pit's from the world's worst coach, don't mention a dropped goal in extra time of a match.  Roll on the 6 Nations so I can see more wheels falling off them 2nd hand rusty chariots.

Am I bitter and twisted for pointing out a couple of facts? There is no room for debate or to express dissatisfaction with a very mixed performance?

How would you describe the tour as a report to your boss?...we won, that is all, hope we're just as lucky next time!

Oh, and what does a persons nationality have to do with things? Is satisfaction just a Welsh thing with this tour?, and if so you should be concerned.

I'm just guessing you're Welsh btw.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:40 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:......................and there you have it, bitter and twisted english.  My God 2005 was the pit's from the world's worst coach, don't mention a dropped goal in extra time of a match.  Roll on the 6 Nations so I can see more wheels falling off them 2nd hand rusty chariots.

As for World's worst coach I'll raise you......Gareth Jenkins (unless he won a World Cup whilst I wasn't looking).

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

I would rate Gats a 7/10 for his efforts. I want to give him a 6 but he secured a series victory so it would be harsh in the extreme. The Lions should have won 3-0 and done so with a little comfort. Poor squad selection and team selections undermined his efforts, but on the plus side he did respect the Lions ethos and all the players really did seem to buy into that and to bond with each other. He pulled it out when it mattered so time to move on.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

i thought this thread was imagine if we lost ^ ^ ^ reading some post sounds like we did Erm 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:47 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i thought this thread was imagine if we lost  ^ ^ ^  reading some post  sounds like we did Erm 

clap clap clap clap clap clap 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:52 am

the flip side is reading some comments you woudl believe we had just hammered NZ in a series.

The truth is as always between the two extremes. Perhaps we need a new sub-board where the extremists can fight it out and the moderates can try and discuss things calmly.

The tour was not perfect, but it was victorious - mainly because they played as lions. Far too many zealots bringing nationality into the mix - from all sides.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

I have now been very lucky indeed to have done the hat trick and end on a winning series, 05 was a disastrous tour on playing front for way to many reasons to go into now but I still loved the trip 09 was just a great trip whilst this one was awesome from start to the brilliant end.

Now I know some may never get to go but I doubt if you can find anyone who has been saying that the Lions is outdated, walking round the sea of red in Melbourne and Sydney was unbelievable just nod hear and there and sharing a smile to passing strangers.

Then on match day, to be in a bar with fans from all four corners of the British and Irish Isles linking arms and as one singing Bread of Heaven, Flower of Scotland, Swing Low or Jerusalem and the Fields of Athenry is truly unique experience.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:the flip side is reading some comments you woudl believe we had just hammered NZ in a series.

The truth is as always between the two extremes. Perhaps we need a new sub-board where the extremists can fight it out and the moderates can try and discuss things calmly.

The tour was not perfect, but it was victorious - mainly because they played as lions. Far too many zealots bringing nationality into the mix - from all sides.

Again clap clap clap clap clap 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Would you like a dip to go with that massive chip you have on your shoulder

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:27 am

If we had lost I'd still dislike Gatland.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:28 am

Toohey wrote:Lions support is becoming a lot like religion.  Lots of people think it’s an outdated concept but a lot of people are absolutely dedicated and get a lot of comfort from it.  These groups seem to get on fine.  Then you get the lovely people who come knocking on your door trying to force it down your throat.

Absolutely bang-on post clap 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

Can I imagine if we lost?

Hmm, I don't know, but I'd guess we might have threads with headings like:

CAN YOU IMAGINE IT?  WE LOST.

Sometimes if you want to cool down a hot rod, you dip it in cold water...not ram it up someone's ............................ mule Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:52 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:This is the first Lions Series win since 97, 16 long years.  Now if you listen to some of the posts on here better prepared, better equipped and certainly better managed squads have gone and lost tours yet we won this one.

When was the last time the Lions were favourites in the bookies to win? I ask because they were favourites to win this series. They had a plethora of players to pick from compared to the Australians.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 09 Jul 2013, 11:40 am

Toohey wrote:Lions support is becoming a lot like religion.  Lots of people think it’s an outdated concept but a lot of people are absolutely dedicated and get a lot of comfort from it.  These groups seem to get on fine.  Then you get the lovely people who come knocking on your door trying to force it down your throat.

So basically what I am trying to say is that you are the Jehovah’s witnesses of the rugby fan world.  Or worse still the crazy b*stards who just stand it the middle of a shopping center shouting ‘jesus will save you’ over and over at the top of their lungs.

To be fair that means some on here have been taking the role of disgrace to name of atheism, logic and good writing anti-religious non-insightful hypocritical fanatic Richard Dawkins.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:22 pm

profitius wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:This is the first Lions Series win since 97, 16 long years.  Now if you listen to some of the posts on here better prepared, better equipped and certainly better managed squads have gone and lost tours yet we won this one.

When was the last time the Lions were favourites in the bookies to win? I ask because they were favourites to win this series. They had a plethora of players to pick from compared to the Australians.

And sport of any genre is littered with favourites who fell at the final hurdle these guys didn't
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down