The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race

+2
socal1976
hawkeye
6 posters

Go down

Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race Empty Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race

Post by hawkeye Mon 18 Jun - 17:42

In the Race ranking points are accumalative. Everyone starts at zero at the beginning of the year and whoever has the most points at the end is the year end number 1. It shows which players have done the best so far in 2012. After RG Nadal replaced Djokovic at number 1.

1. Nadal 6795
2. Djokovic 6120
3. Federer 5095
4. Ferrer 3310
5. Berdych 2665
6. Murray 2600
7. Del Potro 2545
8. Almagro 2105
9. Tsonga 1855
10. Tipsarevic 1790

http://live-tennis.eu/race

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race Empty Re: Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Jun - 18:19

Yes too bad we don't play on clay for the rest of the season and Rafa hasn't exactly filled up the trophy case with hardcourt titles over the last year or so. I think that is a bit of an aberration in that we just finished the best part of the season for Nadal. The hardest part of the season and the part with the most points has yet to come for Nadal. The US hardcourt season and the year end indoors where he hasn't done traditionally well and Djokovic has. In actuality, for Nadal to have pole position for year end 1 he would have to have a much more significant lead over Djoko then he currently does. If anything Hawkeye your numbers show that Novak still has a big time advantage in the race for year end #1.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race Empty Re: Nadal Replaces Djokovic At Number 1 In Race

Post by zx1234 Mon 18 Jun - 18:37

how many points for olympics?

if nadal wins that and wimbledon i think he'd finish world number 1

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Jun - 18:41

I think they get 800 points for the olympics. Zx, I think that Nadal will struggle to win as many points as Novak in the remainder of the schedule. From here on out all indoors and quicker outdoor hardcourts the least favorite surface for Nadal for the rest of the year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Mon 18 Jun - 22:55

socal1976 wrote:Yes too bad we don't play on clay for the rest of the season and Rafa hasn't exactly filled up the trophy case with hardcourt titles over the last year or so. I think that is a bit of an aberration in that we just finished the best part of the season for Nadal. The hardest part of the season and the part with the most points has yet to come for Nadal. The US hardcourt season and the year end indoors where he hasn't done traditionally well and Djokovic has. In actuality, for Nadal to have pole position for year end 1 he would have to have a much more significant lead over Djoko then he currently does. If anything Hawkeye your numbers show that Novak still has a big time advantage in the race for year end #1.

Interesting how you say 'too bad', and where is the aberration? - The OP was simply stating the fact that Nadal is now no.1 in the race. By the logic you post regarding Nadal on clay it seems it would be more of an aberration for Nadal not to be leading the race at this time of year.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 18 Jun - 23:26

Slight differences, with Murray at #5.

W is at interesting juncture as does Olympics.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/06/Features/Federer-In-Contention-For-No1.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Jun - 23:56

Tom_____ wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yes too bad we don't play on clay for the rest of the season and Rafa hasn't exactly filled up the trophy case with hardcourt titles over the last year or so. I think that is a bit of an aberration in that we just finished the best part of the season for Nadal. The hardest part of the season and the part with the most points has yet to come for Nadal. The US hardcourt season and the year end indoors where he hasn't done traditionally well and Djokovic has. In actuality, for Nadal to have pole position for year end 1 he would have to have a much more significant lead over Djoko then he currently does. If anything Hawkeye your numbers show that Novak still has a big time advantage in the race for year end #1.

Interesting how you say 'too bad', and where is the aberration? - The OP was simply stating the fact that Nadal is now no.1 in the race. By the logic you post regarding Nadal on clay it seems it would be more of an aberration for Nadal not to be leading the race at this time of year.

Well if the OP is trying to suggest that Nadal has leg up in the points race i would contend that the numbers the OP produced actually shows the opposite that he is significantly behind Djokovic barring an unforseen injury. I don't think Novak is worried about out gaining Nadal in the next 10 hardcourt and indoor tournaments by a total of 700 points because Nadal has been such an indoor power house in his career.

Tom, as usual your attempts to play devil's advocate to all of my posts falls dreadfully short. The paragraph above describes how the numbers the OP posts to show Nadal leading the points race in the real world actually shows the opposite. I know that a lot of posters on this site do not digest logical arguments well and can only think in binary fashion, but my explanation of the obvious should suffice. Nadal just played his part of the season and to have a leg up, a real leg up on Djoko needs more than 700 point lead going into the next 10 or so hardcourt or indoor tournaments, anyone who disputes that maybe hasn't watched either of them play the last six or seven years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 19 Jun - 7:09

I think what the numbers show is that although Nadal has a lead the top three are very close.

The big points at Wimbledon and the US Open are still to be played for. socal1976 I'm sure even as a big Novak fan you have to admit that both Nadal and Federer have a good chance at both. Personally I'de go further than that as IMO Nadal now is the favourite at Wimbledon and not Djokovic. I see Novak as more likely to go out in the early rounds than Nadal and if they do meet in the final this time I think Nadal will edge it.

I would wait until nearer the time to try and predict the US Open. Who cares about the indoor hard court season? Whoever doesn't do well collecting the big trophies will probably do well there...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 19 Jun - 10:30

hawkeye wrote:I think what the numbers show is that although Nadal has a lead the top three are very close..

Top two maybe, but I think Fed is too far behind, his real superiority is in the indoor season, for which realistically 3,000 odd points are up for grabs if he can repeat last year's heroics (I don't see him going off to Shanghai this year with the Olympics and number of matches he's played so far). Otherwise there are another 2,750 for Grass and 4,000 for outdoor hard (USO, Cincinnati, Canada) so 9,750 maximum in total. Both Djoko and Nadal faded for the indoor season last year, I think Djoko will need to do a bit better indoors this year to ensure he stays ahead of Nadal. I see the winning tally as being 11,000 plus or minus about 500.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Tue 19 Jun - 15:06

socal1976 wrote:
Tom_____ wrote:

Well if the OP is trying to suggest that Nadal has leg up in the points race i would contend that the numbers the OP produced actually shows the opposite that he is significantly behind Djokovic barring an unforseen injury. I don't think Novak is worried about out gaining Nadal in the next 10 hardcourt and indoor tournaments by a total of 700 points because Nadal has been such an indoor power house in his career.

Tom, as usual your attempts to play devil's advocate to all of my posts falls dreadfully short. The paragraph above describes how the numbers the OP posts to show Nadal leading the points race in the real world actually shows the opposite. I know that a lot of posters on this site do not digest logical arguments well and can only think in binary fashion, but my explanation of the obvious should suffice. Nadal just played his part of the season and to have a leg up, a real leg up on Djoko needs more than 700 point lead going into the next 10 or so hardcourt or indoor tournaments, anyone who disputes that maybe hasn't watched either of them play the last six or seven years.

Again Socal, it just seems like you have read into things that weren't there with the Authors post and you seem to have replied to an 'invented' view point. The first post plainly just showed the positions in the race and mentioned Nadal had jumped up to no.1. It didn't imply or give leads to anything at all. I think you've been unfair to the author in this case - Try reading it again.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 19 Jun - 17:19

Tom, when someone posts numbers regarding a points race what am i supposed to comment on? It wouldn't be much of a thread if I went on and simply stated good job for posting the numbers. Don't you think any type of analysis of the points race would take into account the factors I discussed. Remaining tournaments and track record of success or lack there of. If I made the type of response you think would have quote been fair well then there would be no thread.

@hawkeye, we will know more after wimby if Nadal wins wimby he has a significant points lead. If he reaches the final and Djoko wins he doesn't. If neither win assuming they both got to relatively the same depth in the draw he still doesn't have a big points lead. In short, Nadal will have a big points lead if he wins wimbeldon, even if he reaches the final and novak wins like last year his lead is really infintesmal.

@Barry, Novak was injured last year and two years ago also he didn't have the best indoor season either because his mind was pretty focused on Davis cup. Throughout his career however he actually is a very good indoor player. He has won Basel, Paris, Shanghai and all of the big indoors including the year end championships. He has a much better career record indoors than Nadal.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Tue 19 Jun - 23:51

socal1976 wrote:Tom, when someone posts numbers regarding a points race what am i supposed to comment on? It wouldn't be much of a thread if I went on and simply stated good job for posting the numbers. Don't you think any type of analysis of the points race would take into account the factors I discussed. Remaining tournaments and track record of success or lack there of. If I made the type of response you think would have quote been fair well then there would be no thread.

@hawkeye, we will know more after wimby if Nadal wins wimby he has a significant points lead. If he reaches the final and Djoko wins he doesn't. If neither win assuming they both got to relatively the same depth in the draw he still doesn't have a big points lead. In short, Nadal will have a big points lead if he wins wimbeldon, even if he reaches the final and novak wins like last year his lead is really infintesmal.

@Barry, Novak was injured last year and two years ago also he didn't have the best indoor season either because his mind was pretty focused on Davis cup. Throughout his career however he actually is a very good indoor player. He has won Basel, Paris, Shanghai and all of the big indoors including the year end championships. He has a much better career record indoors than Nadal.

Analysis is fine Socal, obviously. However, implying that the original poster was saying anything beyond a simple statement of fact is completely unnecessary and confrontational. Not good for the board.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 20 Jun - 0:59

What exactly did accuse hawkeye of? Or attack her with? I just provided context to the numbers like the other posters did except when I do it you take a run at me again. There was nothing controversial about my post at all Tom and you know that so don't feign outrage, I don't think hawkeye found anything I said unfair or upsetting.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down