The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another NZ player maybe off to Australia

3 posters

Go down

Another NZ player maybe off to Australia Empty Another NZ player maybe off to Australia

Post by blackcanelion Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Looks like Slaimankhel may be the latest NZ player to head to Australia and potentially the Wallabies. For any who don't know him he's due to play for the NZ warriors this weekend. He's a standout performer for their junior team and the junior kiwis at full back. He comes off contract soon and is reportedly being chased by several league clubs (e.g. Rabittos) and Melbourne Storm. He'll have to qualify through residency. He came to NZ as a refugee from Afghanistan and grew up playing union. He's part of a growing trend of young union converts to league who have no league background.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Another NZ player maybe off to Australia Empty Re: Another NZ player maybe off to Australia

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Blackcan
I dont think Slime ankle will ever be a Wallaby. The one that rugby union missed out on was Konrad Harrel, when he was playing for AGS ist xv, rugby(Auckland) should have signed him up there and then.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Another NZ player maybe off to Australia Empty Re: Another NZ player maybe off to Australia

Post by chewed_mintie Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I see he's getting his first start for the Warriors tonight. I've heard loads about this guy, he seems a great prospect, only there's other good players in his way at the club.

I'm with Laurie, he won't be a Wallaby....and why on earth would he sign with those muppets from Melbourne? Makes no sense to a young bloke full of promise.

No, he'll probably go to the Rabbitohs and hopefully in a year or so he'll be running around for the Kiwis

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:15 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: Blackcan
I dont think Slime ankle will ever be a Wallaby. The one that rugby union missed out on was Konrad Harrel, when he was playing for AGS ist xv, rugby(Auckland) should have signed him up there and then.

To be fair Konrad Hurrell is Tongan. I'm not sure his status as far as NZ teams go, but I'm fairly sure he came over on a rugby scholarship. He's an absolute beast.

As for S. I think he's improving he's on about a try a game or more for the volcans. He was injured I think towards the end of last year, which probably hindered his progress. Like Hurrel he's only 20 or 21.

I think there's 4 union kids in their under 20 team, a few with no league experience.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:19 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:I see he's getting his first start for the Warriors tonight. I've heard loads about this guy, he seems a great prospect, only there's other good players in his way at the club.

I'm with Laurie, he won't be a Wallaby....and why on earth would he sign with those muppets from Melbourne? Makes no sense to a young bloke full of promise.

No, he'll probably go to the Rabbitohs and hopefully in a year or so he'll be running around for the Kiwis

I'm not sure. He might still harbour union ambitions. My understanding is union is struggling to compete with the junior contracts being offered to many league players the same age. It's second hand info so I'm not sure how much weight to give it.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down