The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland?

+6
The Boss
Rowley
6oldenbhoy
jimdig
seanmichaels
Gordy
10 posters

Go down

Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland? Empty Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland?

Post by Gordy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:27 pm

"Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland". That is what the name of the British Olympic team states. Yet several of the Irish boxers that won medals for Ireland were actually from Northern Ireland which should surely count towards team GB? Alan Campbell and Wendy Houvenaghel are from Northern Ireland but were part of team GB in rowing and cycling. So why is it different for boxers?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland? Empty Re: Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland?

Post by seanmichaels Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

They like to be paid in euros.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland? Empty Re: Why do boxers from Northern Ireland fight for Ireland?

Post by jimdig Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:47 pm

Not just boxing, all sports. Even the common person can declare themselves Irish and get a Irish passport if they see fit. In fact persons of a certain age in the in the republic of Ireland can get themselves a british passport if they want, legacy of being a colony. No big mystery.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 9:00 pm

IABA, who govern Irish amateur boxing, was set up in 1911 before Ireland was split and since then Boxers, North and South, continue to fight under the same banner.

Boxing has always been a working class sport in Ireland, and so it has never be feasible for boxers from Northern Ireland to travel to London to compete in the ABA's. Guys like Kenny Beattie, Wayne McCullough and Carl Frampton are all from Protestant backgrounds, yet all represented Ireland internationally.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

It is when threads like this appear that I am eternally grateful Windy made Shenglong's return to these boards a brief one

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm

I'll take over his role if you want rowley?

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

Its an overcomplicated system that contradicts itself. You shouldnt have some sports where Northern Ireland athletes are in team GB and some where they are in Ireland. Where is the consistency? Team GB is made up of athletes from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland so why should the boxers be any different? What are they going to do with the golf in the Rio games with the likes of McIlroy?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:29 am

The Boss wrote:I'll take over his role if you want rowley?

It's very kind of you to offer, any chance I can take a raincheck on it though?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:35 am

Gordy wrote:Its an overcomplicated system that contradicts itself. You shouldnt have some sports where Northern Ireland athletes are in team GB and some where they are in Ireland. Where is the consistency? Team GB is made up of athletes from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland so why should the boxers be any different? What are they going to do with the golf in the Rio games with the likes of McIlroy?

Read 6oldenbhoy's post above you clueless goon........ ghost ghost ghost ghost ghost ghost ghost ghost

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:58 am

You are soooooooooo right Gordy.

We should also count Mo Farah's gold medals towards Somalia.

He was born in Mogadishu, Somalia.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

In all fairness whilst things appear to have improved in recent years, suspect Ireland still has more pressing things to worry about than this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

I know Jeff.

I think king WUM thought he would have felt a bigger bite to this subject than he has got so far.

My suggestion?? Lock the thread, its just been made to start arguments.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I know Jeff.

I think king WUM thought he would have felt a bigger bite to this subject than he has got so far.

My suggestion?? Lock the thread, its just been made to start arguments.

I think you're giving Gordy too much credit Reborn. He's just an idiot. Pity, as his wummery is spoiling quite a few threads on here.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:42 am

Why?

Because Lennox Lewis is the 2nd greatest ever, this years olympics was too confusing so they represented Ireland and because Khan is a hype job, DUH! Do you know nothing Gordy?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

No rowley you've opened this can of worms. So I believe 1690 when Gerry Adams was at the Battle of Clontarf is as good a place as any to start...

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm

Can we not just start at Barry Mcguigan fighting for a British title, will save time because whereever we start that is damned sure where we will end.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm

But Barry is Irish! Ah f*** it!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:21 pm

Why don't Mexicans fight for America ?????

Why do some fighters get rolled like drunks???

Why do Canadians like fighting for Britain????

Why don't I get divorced so I can be happy???

Why don't I say "dumbass" as much as I used to??

Why is the moon made of cheese???

Who knows...who cares.......life is too short!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:41 pm

Deep Truss. Very deep! Lose your inheritance if you get divorced is the only one I can answer!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

Not going to argue with the boss!!!

Because I was...born in the USA......... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down