The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing

4 posters

Go down

When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing Empty When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:30 am

Will things get any better? Arum is so reluctant to helpt he sport I can't think it would be anything but great if he were to retire. He won't retire until he is infirm (I am not wishing him ill health, just pointing it out) so maybe we'll have to wait a while.

Don King just doesn't seem to do anything with his fighters these days.
Will the sport be better off without them?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing Empty Re: When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing

Post by azania Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

King is semi retired. Boxing will miss him more than Arum. Not many boxers will miss King though.

azania

Back to top Go down

When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing Empty Re: When Bob Arum and Don King are no longer involved in boxing

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:45 am

azania wrote:King is semi retired. Boxing will miss him more than Arum. Not many boxers will miss King though.

At least King made decent fights. He was the devil in human form though, when it came to paying his fighters.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:50 am

I believe it was Larry Holmes who said, Sure he shafted you by taking half of your slice by duplicitous means,however you still got more of payday from King than from any other promoter. Funnily enough I think Arum has a worse reputation within the industry?

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:King is semi retired. Boxing will miss him more than Arum. Not many boxers will miss King though.

At least King made decent fights. He was the devil in human form though, when it came to paying his fighters.

King made excellent cards. All were pretty stacked. When you have Julis Chavez as an undercard fighter with trinidad and many others, you know you're in for a treat. The man was a genius promoter. His business dealings are something else though. I reckon the K2 took a leaf out of his book. The worst leaf also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

andygf wrote:I believe it was Larry Holmes who said, Sure he shafted you by taking half of your slice by duplicitous means,however you still got more of payday from King than from any other promoter. Funnily enough I think Arum has a worse reputation within the industry?

I don't think Tim Witherspoon would agree with you though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

No, I don't suppose he would.

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 01 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

azania wrote:
andygf wrote:I believe it was Larry Holmes who said, Sure he shafted you by taking half of your slice by duplicitous means,however you still got more of payday from King than from any other promoter. Funnily enough I think Arum has a worse reputation within the industry?

If I remember correctly Witherspoon was promised half a million from King for the Bruno fight but ended up with something like £50k steam

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:
azania wrote:

If I remember correctly Witherspoon was promised half a million from King for the Bruno fight but ended up with something like £50k steam

That's about right. When Tim's legal people saw the itemised bill, King charged them down to the last can of coke they had.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:48 pm

"Don King is a wretched, slimy, reptilian mother*tucker*. This is supposed to be my 'black brother' right? He's just a bad man, a real bad man. He would kill his own mother for a dollar. He's ruthless, he's deplorable, he's greedy, and he doesn't know how to love anybody." - Mike Tyson

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down