The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team vs Barbarians

+46
sugarNspikes
BigTrevsbigmac
captainrapido
Liam
sheephead
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
glamorganalun
alcoombe
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
Shifty
Knackeredknees
Casartelli
gelodge
doctor_grey
Breadvan
Cari
Scoped
Seagultaf
slartibartfast
anotherworldofpain
mpc28
Cymroglan
bedfordwelsh
bluestonevedder
maestegmafia
mystiroakey
youngguns6
HERSH
Biltong
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
doctornickolas
Comfort
grandoslammo
Luckless Pedestrian
wales606
Knowsit17
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
BlueNote
welshy6
RubyGuby
Smirnoffpriest
mrzimmerman
LordDowlais
50 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

Wales team vs Barbarians - Page 12 Empty Wales team vs Barbarians

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

15. Liam Williams
14. Harry Robinson
13. Andrew Bishop
12. James Hook
11. Aled Brew
10. Dan Biggar
9. Lloyd Williams
8. Ryan Jones
7. Justin Tipuric
6. Josh Turnbull
5. Ian Evans
4. Alun Wyn Jones
3. Rhodri Jones
2. Matthew Rees (c)
1. Rhys Gill.

Reps: R Hibbard, P James , A Shingler, M Williams, Webb, A Warren, W Harries

With the following 16 going to Australia tomorrow:
Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Ashley Beck, Alex Cuthbert, Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips, Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Barbarians - Page 12 Empty Re: Wales team vs Barbarians

Post by sugarNspikes Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:53 pm

martyr_94 wrote:Well the sin binning didn't help. I still think 3 tries is a decent effort imo, the Baa Baa's actually defended quite well imo. I think its also due to the fact that this was a second XV team for Wales, who were all playing together as a team for the first time, with only a week to prepare for it. I was happy with the 3 tries tbh.
Yeah, fair enough. I guess in some cases the Baa Baa's games aren't flowing games with loads of tries anymore.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:I don't think he show boated, I think that he had so many options to his left and right that by the time he was thinking of playing the pass he was literally on the try line, so dived over himself. Cracking kick to convert his own try near the touch line also.

I thought it was a great try, he completely turned Tagicakibau and Heymans inside out. Great skills by Hook.

I think it was somewhere inbetween. Given the size of the overalp after hapless defending Wales wouldve been complete turkeys not to score. Hook did well and was never in a position where he needed to have passed, although couldve done it if he was ever in danger of being tackled. I dont believe it was unreasoanble for him to be greedy there...passing the ball always carrying a risk of benkay hands.

martyr_94 wrote:Well the sin binning didn't help. I still think 3 tries is a decent effort imo, the Baa Baa's actually defended quite well imo. I think its also due to the fact that this was a second XV team for Wales, who were all playing together as a team for the first time, with only a week to prepare for it. I was happy with the 3 tries tbh.

Yeah this was a genuine second string welsh side, and the game was tight all the way through. The BBs only really started getting silly once they had the lead, and Wales took advantage.

Its a game they could easily have lost, but in the grand scheme of things largely meaningless. No-one seriously believes that the England backline is a serious attacking threat despite their win over the baabaas or that Tindall is an underated attacker following his 2 tries in 3 games. These games prove nothing, I wouldnt read too much into Wales' A team (without the other Shingler) failing to score more than 3 tries. 3's pretty decent if anything.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Unless injuries occur the only player in yesterday's team that will likely be in the starting line up in the first test is Matthew Rees.

No disrespect to the Barbarians though who looked one of the best BaaBaa teams for a long while, well certainly until Richie Rees was subbed for Lawson who did not have his best game. The BaaBaa's struggled without Rees' quick ball..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, I agree with the above comments. Underbaked Baa Baa sides against 2nd string home sides really doesn't tell us a lot.

I think the Baa Baa's continued place in rugby seriously needs to be re-evaluated.

Capping these games should also be stopped. Plain odd.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:40 pm

It's actually been a nice little earner for the WRU over 50.00 paying customers paying at least £25 each for a ticket. The WRU has probably made £2m on this game.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Since Howley had already decided who was going & who wasn't it is more of a reason perhaps for a 'scratchy' display.
Howley therefor didn't need any further indicators for players to put their hands up & didn't get any. It's always hard in these disjointed games. I do think in the end he will be relieved with the win but slightly disappointed in the lack of cohesion and ability to create chances.
I still can't fathom out why Biggar played 10 if there was no intention of taking him & then let Hook take the kicks.
Unless of course Biggar is a worse centre than Hook is at fly half (joke!)

Is there any evidence to say that Howley had already made up his mind? I would be suprised if he had. Unfortunately for Dan Biggar he had a poor game, but so did Lloyd Williams. I think that Robinsons try and darting play in the first half convinced Howley to give him Biggars place. I would have done the opposite.

Hook looked good at 10 when he switched at the end of the game, but I cringed during his run in for his try. Completely unmarked players either side of him and he persisted in showboating, which fortunately for him, came off.

The interview in the article about the players being dropped

"They were told earlier in the week - each player at a different time - so they could focus on the preparation and I have huge respect for these guys."

Harry Robinson's try had nothing to do with it - I imagine Bishop and Brew would be the next to be chopped are Robinson and Li.Williams are being developed for the future.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Whilst on things Barbarian, I see their coach got a knighthood this morning. Sir JK.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Whilst on things Barbarian, I see their coach got a knighthood this morning. Sir JK.

Was it for his charity work?

I went sailing with him in Auckland once in a fundraiser for people with depression.

Great bloke.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Maesteg
yes, it was his services to health work.

Unless you have met him, he is a hard person to explain to those that havent, he has some pretty hard line opinions on some things (especially All Black related) with out being Over the top.

hes also a pretty free/independent spirited guy, when he was young hed go surfing in winter, and now he thinks nothing of going off on his lonesome to teach/coach rugby anywhere in the world, and doesnt worry about little things like the implications of things like a foreign language.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: Maesteg
yes, it was his services to health work.

Unless you have met him, he is a hard person to explain to those that havent, he has some pretty hard line opinions on some things (especially All Black related) with out being Over the top.

hes also a pretty free/independent spirited guy, when he was young hed go surfing in winter, and now he thinks nothing of going off on his lonesome to teach/coach rugby anywhere in the world, and doesnt worry about little things like the implications of things like a foreign language.

We didn't discuss rugby, more a shared love of sailing. Great guy and deserved of the honours bestowed on him. He has made a difference to many lives through his work.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:47 am

maestegmafia wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:I don't think he show boated, I think that he had so many options to his left and right that by the time he was thinking of playing the pass he was literally on the try line, so dived over himself. Cracking kick to convert his own try near the touch line also.

I thought it was a great try, he completely turned Tagicakibau and Heymans inside out. Great skills by Hook.

Tagicakibau was no where near Hook, he was back tracking and only came back into the picture to watch Hook dive over. If Heymans had gone for the man with the ball (Hook) instead of trying, unsuccessfully to cover all 3 Welsh attackers, Hook may very well have been very embarrassed. It was 2 or3 on one overlap, if he had passed early to Brew, he would have strolled over, as I said showboating!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I think Hook was actually hesitant as opposed to showboating and by the time he actually made his mind up the red sea and parted and it was a stroll in. Have to feel for the guy a little, every move he does is magnified and Priestland has been poor lately yet seems to have the halo effect thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:48 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think Hook was actually hesitant as opposed to showboating and by the time he actually made his mind up the red sea and parted and it was a stroll in. Have to feel for the guy a little, every move he does is magnified and Priestland has been poor lately yet seems to have the halo effect thumbsup

Yep, Hook looked to pass left but was afraid the pass was being cut off, so looked right, and fooled Heyman's so he could cross himself. It was the best way to finish, if Heyman had gone for him he would have passed out and still would have scored - making the pass was a risk.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think Hook was actually hesitant as opposed to showboating and by the time he actually made his mind up the red sea and parted and it was a stroll in. Have to feel for the guy a little, every move he does is magnified and Priestland has been poor lately yet seems to have the halo effect thumbsup

I agree, I thought Hook did brilliantly for that try. He had his options but backed himself wonderfully. If he didn't think he could have got there himself, he would have passed it out. No idea why he is being criticised for scoring a fantastic try..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Tagicakibau was no where near Hook, he was back tracking and only came back into the picture to watch Hook dive over. If Heymans had gone for the man with the ball (Hook) instead of trying, unsuccessfully to cover all 3 Welsh attackers, Hook may very well have been very embarrassed. It was 2 or3 on one overlap, if he had passed early to Brew, he would have strolled over, as I said showboating!

Brilliant. Laugh

First time in the last ten years that anyone has attempted to criticise balanced, fast running with the ball held in both hands.

(And he knew full well that if he'd thrown it to Brew, chances were that Brew would have dropped it!)

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah, that is a bit strange. Scores a brilliant try and gets criticised. Erm

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 pm

The whole event was sickening IMHO. vomit

But to be fair to Martyn Williams he looked like he still had something to offer, whilst Shane looked like he'd given up.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 pm

I'd say Hook was hesitant, waiting for Heymans to make a move, which he never did.

Hooks running is bamboozling, ball in 2 hands, balanced and very agile, if not that quick.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

Hook has a track record for showboating both for the Ospreys and Wales. Numerous times he has hung onto the ball when there is a clear overlap, only to get tackled. Remember when young Prydie was outside him against Italy, and again when he an Jamie Roberts were together in the centre.

The game is simple, midfield running patterns are designed to create an overlap for faster players on the outside. A good example was Rees quick give and take to put Robinson in for a try on Saturday.

It is an aspect of Hook's game which still needs work, he needs to play with his head up and create space for others.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:Capping these games should also be stopped. Plain odd.

Ireland didn't have caps for their game, why do Wales?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Capping these games should also be stopped. Plain odd.

Ireland didn't have caps for their game, why do Wales?

Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:57 pm

... because Wales are trying to break records?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm

No really, why do Wales get caps for the barbarians games?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:14 pm

It's been answered over and over. I'm not answering as the question "Why do Wales gets caps for the barbarians games" is the wrong question to ask. Just look back over some articles and maybe you'll find an answer as to why the 'Grand Slammers' cap some baa-baa's games.

Broken Record
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Why are you being so precious about it? It isn't something I am going to go searching for..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I wouldn't mind knowing, actually. It's only a recent development, after all. Who made the decision?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Some people genuinely don't know, clearly. Including myself. Hence why I was asking.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Why are you being so precious about it? It isn't something I am going to go searching for..

It's been done to death so you should have seen it by now. I'm not too bothered about the Grand Slammers dishing out some caps tbh, the more the merrier.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm

It hasn't been 'done to death'. If it had, we wouldn't need to ask!

And do you really not mind Wales caps being awarded for non-international matches?

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Do you actually know why Morgan or are you going to keep dodging the bullet?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

It isn't a recent development.

Wales have capped 4 Baabaas games, including Martyn Williams first cap (which was a pretty long time ago Wink) and his last.

Caps are normal given for a special event (eg, 100? years of the barbarians last year). Wales have a long history with the barbarian and out of respect to the history of the club they sometimes awards caps to recognise the history between the two and solidify the test like status of a baabaas game. Equally you could ask why the Lions hand out caps.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It hasn't been 'done to death'. If it had, we wouldn't need to ask!

And do you really not mind Wales caps being awarded for non-international matches?

You must avoid all HERSH related comments/articles then if you think that. Good on you.

I really don't mind. Non-international? I'm pretty sure Wales aren't non-international! Smile

Last edited by Morgannwg on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Do you actually know why Morgan or are you going to keep dodging the bullet?

confused.com

Which bullet would this be?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm

wales606 wrote:they sometimes awards caps to recognise the history between the two and solidify the test like status of a baabaas game.

That's what I dislike about it: it gives a Barbarians match equal status with a Test match.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Do you actually know why Morgan or are you going to keep dodging the bullet?

confused.com

The question. You refuse to answer for some odd reason. And no, I am not involved in England vs Wales threads.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

wales606 wrote:It isn't a recent development.

Wales have capped 4 Baabaas games, including Martyn Williams first cap (which was a pretty long time ago Wink) and his last.

Caps are normal given for a special event (eg, 100? years of the barbarians last year). Wales have a long history with the barbarian and out of respect to the history of the club they sometimes awards caps to recognise the history between the two and solidify the test like status of a baabaas game. Equally you could ask why the Lions hand out caps.

Thank you for answering. thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

confused.com

The question. You refuse to answer for some odd reason. And no, I am not involved in England vs Wales threads.

Well I didn't say at any point I'd give you an explanation Shocked. If you read back far enough like I suggested you did you would have seen a similar answer to the one just given. Anyway it's no skin off my nose should the Grand Slammers cap some of their new boys. Roll on Australia Cool. Have erm, fun, out in NZ.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

It will be difficult, but I'll try. Crying or Very sad

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Why are you being so precious about it? It isn't something I am going to go searching for..

It's been done to death so you should have seen it by now. I'm not too bothered about the Grand Slammers dishing out some caps tbh, the more the merrier.

Right we all know its because the WRU struggles to fill the stadium for these games as it is so trots out guys who were dropped for being past it and hires in a guy whos already had two retirement games (despite not having retired). Giving out caps to anyone willing to come along is cheaper than free pies.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Right we all know its because the WRU struggles to fill the stadium for these games as it is so trots out guys who were dropped for being past it and hires in a guy whos already had two retirement games (despite not having retired). Giving out caps to anyone willing to come along is cheaper than free pies.

Broken Record picard

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Over 50,000 is quite a good turn out considering we were missing 16 Grand Slammers. England would have probably lost if they didn't start half their first team.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:47 pm

yawnn morgs- casting your rod i see...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down