The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs Kessler

+8
Imperial Ghosty
trottb
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Lance
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
Steffan
azania
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Froch vs Kessler - Page 2 Empty Froch vs Kessler

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Looks like its on and in the UK.

Massive props to Kessler for coming into the lion's den and huge props to Froch for once again taking on the tough fights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Kessler - Page 2 Empty Re: Froch vs Kessler

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 8:15 pm

It's the one division where I think you do need to earn a shot, the best have largely because of the brilliant super six concept fought eachother, you need to put yourself in the frame or you get forgotten.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 8:17 pm

alma wrote:Froch rejecting the WBO sounds like another sly dig at calzaghe. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the whole reason froch is prepared to go on the road and fight anyone is a dig at stay at home Joe.

If it is the reason i'm not going to complain, the 168lb is a breath of fresh air in my opinion, no one wants to take an easy fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 8:21 pm

alma wrote:Agreed. It's the best division by miles. Ward v Dawson should be good, even if Dawson hasn't fought at 168 for five years or whatever

Good match up, just wish it wasn't at a weight class that will really suit Ward. See Ward UD here tbh.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 8:22 pm

BarneyRubble wrote:I could actually see this happening but only down the road.

Froch has business with Kessler, maybe Bute again and Ward. This will take a couple of years by which time Groves may have earned a shot.

But when did earning a shot mean anything???

In a couple of years Froch would have retired. Groves should earn the shot and not rely on him being British to make the fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyRubble Mon 28 May 2012, 8:23 pm

alma wrote:Agreed. It's the best division by miles. Ward v Dawson should be good, even if Dawson hasn't fought at 168 for five years or whatever

Agree a great match-up. Good point that Dawson not fighting at SMW for a while (checked and it is since 2006). He is now consistently at the LHW limit when fighting. Any thoughts how much this could affect him?

BarneyRubble

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 8:25 pm

BarneyRubble wrote:

Agree a great match-up. Good point that Dawson not fighting at SMW for a while (checked and it is since 2006). He is now consistently at the LHW limit when fighting. Any thoughts how much this could affect him?

I know Dawson is saying he can do the weight easy, but to me there is a diff between making weight and being strong at the weight. Dawson will just make the weight, whereas Ward is a beast in terms of physical strength at 168, even if he doesn't pack a punch.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 8:25 pm

He was 187lbs on the night against Hopkins last time out which does worry we ever so slightly but with I can't imagine he'd take the fight if he was worried about making weight, he's said for years he wanted to move down after Hopkins so good to have another big name in the division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 8:31 pm

I do wonder how strong a guy who hasn't campaigned at a lower weight for years would fare when he comes down. Look what happened to Oscar. He made the weight ok, but was a walking corpse.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 8:32 pm

Ward UD all day long at 168 IMO. Thing is Chad is the one who suggested coming down in first place? That's madness to me.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 28 May 2012, 8:40 pm

Steiglitz is definately the weak link in that division but he was set to face Kessler until the fight fell through. With Dawson coming down and Pavlik looking to throw himself into the mix its going to be tough to get bad fights in there.

Groves and DeGale are really up against it if they want a world title or even a title shot anytime soon. I wonder if they might just fancy skipping up to light heavyweight which with Hopkins all but ready to finally call time and Dawson moving down is going to be really sparse in the coming 12 months.

Not sure what to make of the Dawson move downwards. Its always very difficult to say with weight how it will pan out. If hes one of these guys who can hit the weight and then rehydrate up to 185lbs on fight night it could be a major boost and physical advantage over Ward and his inside game. On the other hand he could end up struggling to make the weight which would leave him weak and at the mercy of Ward.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 8:42 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Steiglitz is definately the weak link in that division but he was set to face Kessler until the fight fell through. With Dawson coming down and Pavlik looking to throw himself into the mix its going to be tough to get bad fights in there.

Groves and DeGale are really up against it if they want a world title or even a title shot anytime soon. I wonder if they might just fancy skipping up to light heavyweight which with Hopkins all but ready to finally call time and Dawson moving down is going to be really sparse in the coming 12 months.

Not sure what to make of the Dawson move downwards. Its always very difficult to say with weight how it will pan out. If hes one of these guys who can hit the weight and then rehydrate up to 185lbs on fight night it could be a major boost and physical advantage over Ward and his inside game. On the other hand he could end up struggling to make the weight which would leave him weak and at the mercy of Ward.

If he's weak he will get walked around the ring all night and pummelled on the inside. If he is strong and has learned anything from Bhop's antics, then he will keep Ward at the end of those long arms

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 8:57 pm

Preferably they would have fought at 175lbs but Dawson is no mug when it comes to getting into shape.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 9:23 pm

I think its good for Groves and DeGale as they may have to actually earn a world title shot. And it would actually mean something should they win it.

OK, I've called Froch a paper champion on account of Ward being The Man. But, he has earned every plaudit he's recieved. I#d hate it if GG or JDG tried to ride on his coat-tails. On the other hand it would be a nice pay-day for Froch to spand either of them in an easy defense. He's earned that right.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Mon 28 May 2012, 9:39 pm

I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at Froch taking on JDG or GG. However, I can't see Warren putting one of his stable against a Matchroomer, all but knowing he's going to lose. Not that I'm sure about DeGale's status, does he?
Steiglitz is really irritating me plodding along in such a stacked division, I guess that would be nice, to eventually unify, but Froch has every right to Reject them.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 29 May 2012, 10:11 am

dawson ward is gonna be a chess match where the guy who can get on the inside most effectively will win. no matter what shape dawson turns up in hes gonna be stronger than ward, so i dont think thats a problem. the problem will be if he can out think ward. also steiglitz is not as bad as some are making out. id back him to beat groves or degale

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 10:20 am

Lance wrote:dawson ward is gonna be a chess match where the guy who can get on the inside most effectively will win. no matter what shape dawson turns up in hes gonna be stronger than ward, so i dont think thats a problem. the problem will be if he can out think ward. also steiglitz is not as bad as some are making out. id back him to beat groves or degale

I remember Froch saying that Ward was physically very strong. And as Chad is coming down in weight, I reckon he'd be weaker. I see a late KO for Ward here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 1:23 pm

azania wrote:
Lance wrote:dawson ward is gonna be a chess match where the guy who can get on the inside most effectively will win. no matter what shape dawson turns up in hes gonna be stronger than ward, so i dont think thats a problem. the problem will be if he can out think ward. also steiglitz is not as bad as some are making out. id back him to beat groves or degale

I remember Froch saying that Ward was physically very strong. And as Chad is coming down in weight, I reckon he'd be weaker. I see a late KO for Ward here.

Would be shocked if Ward KO'd Dawson. Stunned in fact, but I expect a win. 116-112 and stillt he WBC and WBA headbutt king - but also great talent - Andre "The Bulldozer" Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 1:31 pm

I see Ward beating Calzaghe by a decisive points majority. His all round game is just too good and would handle Joe's punch volume. If he beats Joe to the punch Joe wont to able to throw 1000 punches.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 1:47 pm

azania wrote:I see Ward beating Calzaghe by a decisive points majority. His all round game is just too good and would handle Joe's punch volume. If he beats Joe to the punch Joe wont to able to throw 1000 punches.

Steffan come quick! I am defending Calzaghe!

I actually think Calzaghe would have had an excellent chance of beating Ward., Would have been very tough, but a prime Calzaghe with hands was extremley hard to outpoint. Ward would have tagged him, but if Calzaghe was focussed, with his good chin and extremley wuick hands, he would be well in with a shout. Also, Calzaghe could be dirty when necessary. I would not rule Joe out of that one at all

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 1:53 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:I see Ward beating Calzaghe by a decisive points majority. His all round game is just too good and would handle Joe's punch volume. If he beats Joe to the punch Joe wont to able to throw 1000 punches.

I actually think Calzaghe would have had an excellent chance of beating Ward., Would have been very tough, but a prime Calzaghe with hands was extremley hard to outpoint. Ward would have tagged him, but if Calzaghe was focussed, with his good chin and extremley wuick hands, he would be well in with a shout. Also, Calzaghe could be dirty when necessary. I would not rule Joe out of that one at all
Just got the tissues out...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 2:05 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

This would be quality over quantity. Hasn't your missus/mister whatever rocks your boat, told you?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 2:05 pm

Steffan wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Just got the tissues out...

hahahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 2:06 pm

I think Joe would have beaten Ward as well. Only just. And as you all know im not biased Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 2:07 pm

azania wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

This would be quality over quantity. Hasn't your missus/mister whatever rocks your boat, told you?

She has, and she has learned to live with my deficiencies. I just don't think Ward would be able to land the "Wooooooooooooooooo" shots he was against the likes of Froch. And I don't think Calzaghe would allow himself to be manhandled like Kessler did. Plus Calzaghe was southpaw and could present probs to Ward that way.

Don't think Calzaghe would ever have beaten the likes of Jones, but Ward, he would be in it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 2:33 pm

Outside of RJJ, Ward to me is the best SMW I've seen. Calzaghe would give him problems. Hell Calzaghe would give anyone problems, but Ward's talents would win out in the end. Good fight though as Ward would be taken places he didn't want to go.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 2:41 pm

azania wrote:Outside of RJJ, Ward to me is the best SMW I've seen. Calzaghe would give him problems. Hell Calzaghe would give anyone problems, but Ward's talents would win out in the end. Good fight though as Ward would be taken places he didn't want to go.

All very true, in truth, we don't know how it would end up. Wish it could happen

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 29 May 2012, 5:34 pm

As much as I hate to think it I reckon Froch wins this time and possibly by stoppage. Kessler looked shot to me in his last outing to Green even though he pulled out that big left hook. MK hasn't been the same since Calzaghe and then Ward, both fairly conclusive defeats. Have the feeling Kessler's last big hurrah was the last Froch fight, think this fight will be his last outing.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 29 May 2012, 5:39 pm

azania wrote:. Good fight though as Ward would be taken places he didn't want to go.

If the fight was in Wales, the last places he'd want to go to are Newbridge or anywhere else in Caerphilly for that matter. Total dump.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 5:49 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:. Good fight though as Ward would be taken places he didn't want to go.

If the fight was in Wales, the last places he'd want to go to are Newbridge or anywhere else in Caerphilly for that matter. Total dump.
I dont mind Caerphilly to be honest. Newbridge is just...Newbridge. Bring him Ponty way you want to il show him some sights while hes here Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 5:55 pm

Super D Boon wrote:

Dunno about that, but went to Cardiff for a rugby/stag weekend. Some seriously friendly women there. Cool

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 5:57 pm

azania wrote:Dunno about that, but went to Cardiff for a rugby/stag weekend. Some seriously friendly women there. Cool
That was me dressed in drag im sorry to tell you...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Steffan wrote:
azania wrote:Dunno about that, but went to Cardiff for a rugby/stag weekend. Some seriously friendly women there. Cool
That was me dressed in drag im sorry to tell you...

Yikes! Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2