The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch-Bute official fight thread

+45
All Time Great
Rodney
Josiah Maiestas
J.Benson II
Mr Bounce
EdWoodjr
Duty281
azania
88Chris05
Super D Boon
Knowsit17
Valero's Conscience
BoxingFan88
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Commander
bhb001
Inventing Johnson Klute
KC
Good Golly I'm Olly
rodders
djlovesyou
trottb
Steffan
The Galveston Giant
zx1234
Mad for Chelsea
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
TechInept
Marky
paperbag_puncher
alanqlm
RANDY77
ShahenshahG
ONETWOFOREVER
as1079
KingMonkey
TheMackemMawler
lfc91
Union Cane
compelling and rich
Seanusarrilius
John Bloody Wayne
sweet_pea
Sugar Floyd Louis
49 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Froch-Bute official fight thread - Page 5 Empty Froch-Bute official fight thread

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sat 26 May 2012, 11:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Less than an hour to go...

Common sense tells me Bute has got this but I just have a funny feeling it may be Froch's night!!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Froch-Bute official fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Froch-Bute official fight thread

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 1:50 am

Steffan wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:Ok, I am knackered from adrenalin surges. That was sublime. My fav UK fighter giving it like that in one of the cities I used to frequent. Insane!
So if Clev ever decides to fight someone decent you gonna support him then?

I would. I did when he was a prospect. I like him as a man Steffan. But put his rubbish titel fights up against that or any of Froch's. It's leagues apart isn't it. That's how boxing thrives. A tough tough fight ina great arena (athough only 9k) and an exciting fight, win, lose or draw

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Froch-Bute official fight thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Froch-Bute official fight thread

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 27 May 2012, 1:51 am

Absolutely fantastic! Great performance.

The haters will sprout up saying Bute was never great to begin with and so what. Froch simply destroyed an undefeated legit champ whilst being the underdog and doing so in his home city.

I panicked for a split second when Eddie Hearn, the fool entered the ring and thought there was a slim risk of the ref DQ'ing Froch in a shocking attempt to save Bute but luckily it was fine!

Very happy for Froch, Bute will want no part of a rematch so bring on a Kessler rematch in Nottingham!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 1:54 am

I bet they would have disqualified him if it was in Canada....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Sun 27 May 2012, 2:06 am

CAREER DEFINING!
That was make or break - he's now fought & beat a reigning SMW champ whereas before he'd beat MWs stepping up to SMW or [as in the case of Pascal] fought for a vacant title.
He should be a big name in Britain, the fact that he isn't is a shame & is purely down to the lack of boxing on terrestrial TV which is a shame.
CARL - YOU THE MAN!

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:13 am

If this does place Froch above Calzaghe then Joe only has his inactivity against top notch fighters to blame. Froch has stuck his neck out and fearlessly confronted the best on offer at any time and despite getting beat a couple of times along the way has set himself up there against the likes of Pascal, Taylor, Abraham and now Bute. As a Welshman and proud supporter of Joe this pains me beyond belief to confess btw.

Or maybe Bute will now go on to be exposed as an overprotected padded cherry-picker who picked the right fights at the right times up until now. In this case he can thank his own collaboration with becoming a cash-cow for his promoters at the consequence of not fully exposing himself to the real names in the division. This result puts a smile on my face for this reason.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 2:17 am

Calzaghe cannot boast the same names on record as Froch but in pure boxing terms I see Calzaghe beating Froch. Too much mobility coupled with the tenacity to go to war with Froch.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:22 am

I think Calzaghe still beats Froch one on one, but in terms of competition.... that's a tough one now.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 2:23 am

[quote="BoxingFan88"]I think Calzaghe still beats Froch one on one, but in terms of competition.... that's a tough one now.[/quote

Calzaghe better talent. Froch, better resume, has to be now.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 May 2012, 2:44 am

Froch has fought a better overall standard of opponent but the one difference for me is Kessler, Calzaghe beat him while Froch lost to him and Ward. Calzaghes domination of the 168lb division is the difference although a rematch victory over Kessler could potentially change it all.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 2:47 am

Does anyone think that this Froch would beat Ward in a smaller ring compared to the one they fought in?

Or would it be the same result.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 27 May 2012, 2:49 am

[quote="Seanusarrilius"]
BoxingFan88 wrote:I think Calzaghe still beats Froch one on one, but in terms of competition.... that's a tough one now.[/quote

Froch lost to Kessler. Terrible loss if you want to talk resumes. Even if Froch does him second time, he'll have taken two goes against a shop worn Kessler when Calzaghe beat the prime unbeaten and sharp Kessler on the first go.

Ward also made mincemeat of Froch.

It was always going to be a case that this fight would show us what Bute was made of, whether he was the dazzling p4p star to be or an overprotected hype job. Looks like it was the latter. Froch meanwhile had nothing to prove. Terrible night for Bute if he can't get passed Froch though.

I do think Bute should dust himself down and take a rematch though. The momentum he'll get from fighting in Canada should mean he does better next time around. Depends how beaten up and mentally scarred he is.

I always said Bute was too open......

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 2:52 am

This win justifies the super 6 after all. Bute compained about not being involved but he would have been demolished. I see Abraham, Taylor, Kessler, Ward and even Dirrel koing Bute.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 May 2012, 2:55 am

I have said from the very start that Bute was undeserving of his rating as the divisions number two, he was as far as i've ever been able to see a very distant 4th behind Ward, Froch and Kessler. Having seen how poor his durability looks i'd be interested to see him in with Abraham, the divisions biggest hitter and a rival to Froch in the chin stakes.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 2:59 am

Bute looked troubled from the start, even before the fight. I can't take anything away from Froch but I can't get too carried away with it either. Bute just looked skinny and weak. He could not take Froch's power. Against Kessler different story.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 27 May 2012, 3:00 am

Onetwo you're probably right. The way Bute folded like that would suggest he would have been annihilated by pretty much all of the S6 fighters. It's not like Froch is a huge puncher. A decent puncher but not a blockbuster puncher.

The one thing that is a mystery is that he beat Johnson better than Froch did. Then again, Bute is friends with Johnson and a regular sparring partner. Could have been that Glen was supposed to lose. I heard that Johnson was paid very nicely for the Bute fight.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 3:02 am

Does anyone think Froch and fisherman mouth will get jiggy tonight.

Froch does have a lot left in the tank. I think had that been Pascal again she would be blowing my phone up for weeks.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 27 May 2012, 3:05 am

Onetwo what are you talking about?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 3:06 am

[quote="Super D Boon"]
Seanusarrilius wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:I think Calzaghe still beats Froch one on one, but in terms of competition.... that's a tough one now.[/quote

Froch lost to Kessler. Terrible loss if you want to talk resumes. Even if Froch does him second time, he'll have taken two goes against a shop worn Kessler when Calzaghe beat the prime unbeaten and sharp Kessler on the first go.

It was always going to be a case that this fight would show us what Bute was made of, whether he was the dazzling p4p star to be or an overprotected hype job. Looks like it was the latter. Froch meanwhile had nothing to prove. Terrible night for Bute if he can't get passed Froch though.

I do think Bute should dust himself down and take a rematch though. The momentum he'll get from fighting in Canada should mean he does better next time around. Depends how beaten up and mentally scarred he is.

I do think the Kess loss hurts Carls legacy, not the ward one.

Other than that I think Froch record stands up

Calzaghe has next to no prime names on his record.

I give Calzaghe full credit for Bhop even though it was close and uglyas hell. And a bit for Eubank who was past prime but still a comeptator. Calzaghe also gets props for prime Kessler. But other than that?

Anyway, not doubting Joes talent. He was a better talent than Froch.

But this is Froch night and what a night it was!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:07 am

Maybe fighting outside his hometown comfort zone had this effect on him. Having said that Froch was fighting within his own zone.

But again Froch has travelled to win and defend titles before. Wasn't that the first time Bute has ever defended outside Canada/Romania?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 3:09 am

Yeah I alluded to the fact that Bute beat Johnson clearly while Froch laboured to a win against Johnson. The real question for me is where does Bute go from here?

He has been EXPOSED badly and now people will be looking at his chin.

2 options for me

1) Get a new world class trainer like Khan did or...

2) Go for broke and rematch Froch but he has to win and win good.

Other then that where else can he go?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 27 May 2012, 3:14 am

[quote="Seanusarrilius"]
Super D Boon wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

I give Calzaghe full credit for Bhop even though it was close and uglyas hell. And a bit for Eubank who was past prime but still a comeptator. Calzaghe also gets props for prime Kessler. But other than that?

Ha ha everytime Froch wins it's a Froch legacy v Calzaghe legacy debate. Even if Froch avenges Kessler, he still doesn't do it for me given that Kessler won his fight with Froch by sheer willpower more than anything and all the sharpness of his jab and right cross had gone. Even in a spectacular win against Green, Kessler looked vulnerable and got hurt early on. However, should Froch do as he intends and that is avenge Kessler then avenge Ward also then I'll give it to you that Froch has the better legacy no argument.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 3:23 am

[quote="Super D Boon"]
Seanusarrilius wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Ha ha everytime Froch wins it's a Froch legacy v Calzaghe legacy debate. Even if Froch avenges Kessler, he still doesn't do it for me given that Kessler won his fight with Froch by sheer willpower more than anything and all the sharpness of his jab and right cross had gone. Even in a spectacular win against Green, Kessler looked vulnerable and got hurt early on. However, should Froch do as he intends and that is avenge Kessler then avenge Ward also then I'll give it to you that Froch has the better legacy no argument.

Ah who cares. Froch is building his own legacy, as did Calzaghe.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 May 2012, 3:26 am

Froch would never beat Ward, mixed feelings now i've calmed, think it's clear that he'll end up getting very little credit for the victory such was the ease with which he won, were it closer then all this talk of Bute being exposed wouldn't be happening. As for Frochs power, it is in my opinion very under rated, those he has hit cleanly aren't exactly known for going over and the others aren't exactly known for being hit cleanly.

Between them Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham, Bute, Johnson, Kessler and Ward had a grand total of 2 stoppage losses between with something silly like 2 knockdowns between them also. Johnson was stopped on his feet against Hopkins while Taylor was admittedly taken out by Pavlik, so in short the men his faced have no reputation for being stopped.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:28 am

Not been in long, and couldn't be happier.

Delighted for Carl, and so, so happy that I was wrong. With the exception of Ward, anyone at 168 lb who wants a bout with Froch is going to have to come to Nottingham, and I for one can't wait - the atmosphere tonight was superb.

And of course, the performance. I've never seen Froch start as quickly as that. We've almost come to expect Froch losing the majority of the early rounds. I gave Bute a share of the fourth but nothing else, which was perhaps being kind to him. He could do nothing to contain Froch.

Seeing your hometown fighter ripping away a title from an unbeaten (and heavily backed) fighter like that - it just doesn't get any better.

I'd also like to applaud Bute's fans (and again, there were more in attendance than I expected). Some good banter back and forth, and very respectful and fulsome in their applause for the winner afterwards. No trouble in the crowd for once - and I had a great, up-close view of the great Sugar Ray for the most part!

All in all, without doubt the best night I've ever had as a boxing fan, given how closely I've followed and supported Carl's career since it began. Still haven't quite returned from the ceiling! Only hope you fellas enjoyed it as much as I did.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 8:11 am

Hats off to Carl. Glad he proved me wrong in such an emphatic manner.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 May 2012, 9:32 am

Brilliant performance by the Cobra! Absolutely destroyed Bute who was a heavy favourite going into the fight which has increased my already high respect for the man. He might wanna try and have a second crack at Ward now, why not?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 9:39 am

I'd keep him well away from Ward. Ward's in a different league from Carl. What's there for Ward to prove anyway? He schooled Carl first time out.

I see Groves and Degale fights now. Carl would easily handle Groves and beat DeGale in a closer fight.

But Ward? Not a chance.

Kessler would be a good fight. But for crissakes Froch, take an easy money defense. All others are doing it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun 27 May 2012, 9:45 am

Few saw that coming and Carl has earned every penny from the fat payday he's sure to earn from the rematch.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 9:48 am

Loads of class from Bute's people. No excuses. No complaints and wonderful praise for Carl. A credit to boxing. thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 9:55 am

Can't see a reason for fighting Abraham again. Srieglitz is another issue. A fight Carl should win.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 27 May 2012, 10:21 am

Blimey! I actually feel vindicated for one of my predictions! Be interesting to see how many I get right or thereabouts in the next 2 years...

https://www.606v2.com/t29115p50-froch-v-bute-early-thoughts

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 27 May 2012, 11:27 am

This is was Froch's Calzaghe-Lacy moment.
Upsetting the odds by destroying a highly rated, unbeaten champion.
A move up to LHW and a rematch with Kessler in Nottingham would be good.

As for Bute, he should go back to fighting pasties in Montreal. Obviously he can't deal with anyone who punches back.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 May 2012, 11:30 am

cake Got indigestion eating humble pie. Well done Carl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 11:31 am

J.Benson II wrote:As for Bute, he should go back to fighting pasties in Montreal. Obviously he can't deal with anyone who punches back
Calm down. Bute is still a good fighter. His chin is clearly not that good though. But 'pasties' is harsh

Last edited by Steffan on Sun 27 May 2012, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 11:31 am

alma wrote:
azania wrote:Can't see a reason for fighting Abraham again. Srieglitz is another issue. A fight Carl should win.

someone was mentioning an easy fight for Carl. This would be easy and he gets another belt.

I don't see what the value of another belt seeing as Ward is the real Champ. He should chase the big money fights. If that's steiglitz then go for that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 27 May 2012, 11:35 am

Steffan wrote:
Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:WHERE ARE YOU STEFFAN Very Happy Laugh
Said id leave mate. Dont rub it in
Yet you were waiting happy to rub in should Froch have been on the receiving end!!

Out you go sonny
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 May 2012, 11:37 am

The money I imagine Az is going to be Kessler and the 175lb boys, doesn't seem to be Frochs style to go for the easy option, I genuinely can't think of anyone he should have fought and hasn't.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Sun 27 May 2012, 11:39 am

Bit childish, Steffan already admitted he was wrong and gave Carl great credit for a great win. More than can be said for most when they are proved wrong.

We all have our favourites and those we don't particularly like, I say fair play to ya Steffan for having the humility to come straight on and give Carl credit. I say stay Smile

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun 27 May 2012, 11:42 am

Tremendous by Froch, extremely proud of him, he was fantastic.

I picked Bute by UD, so that in itself meant a victory for Froch, it looked a mismatch from 1st to last bell.

Nearly jumped through the screen when the skin crawling Eddie Hearn jumped into the ring, why did he do that ? Yes as a promoter he was chuffed, but let the man enjoy his victory with his team. Another fella who likes the sound of his own voice too much.

Well done Carl. Kessler rematch at City Ground would be fantastic

Cheers

Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 11:43 am

alanqlm wrote:Bit childish, Steffan already admitted he was wrong and gave Carl great credit for a great win. More than can be said for most when they are proved wrong.

We all have our favourites and those we don't particularly like, I say fair play to ya Steffan for having the humility to come straight on and give Carl credit. I say stay Smile
Cheers mate. I aint going nowhere although I should not post stuff saying im leaving after having an all dayer on the cider Laugh

Iv dealt with bigger clowns than Josiah Maiestas in my time so all is good Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 27 May 2012, 11:48 am

Pascal W by close UD
Taylor W by LKO
Dirrell W by SD
Kessler L by close UD
Abraham W by wide UD
Johnson W by (wide) MD
Ward L by wide UD
Bute W by EKO

That's just one hell of a CV. That's 8 tough fights in a row, there is not many if any fighter in today's ranks who could match that.

You can question mark the decision vs. Dirrell but likewise the Kessler fight was also reasonably close and in Denmark. However, the mannor of defeat to Andre Ward tells me that Froch is short of the heralded top 5 P4P status. If he was to avenge that defeat he could go on to be Britain's best boxer of all time.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 11:56 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The money I imagine Az is going to be Kessler and the 175lb boys, doesn't seem to be Frochs style to go for the easy option, I genuinely can't think of anyone he should have fought and hasn't.

As I said on another thread, I dont think he has the frame for a LHW and still be as strong as he needs to be. The money is with Groves/Degale. Should be an easy night's work for him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 11:58 am

I would love a Kessler rematch. My favourite SMW v my least favourite SMW

Come on the Danish Viking OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 27 May 2012, 11:58 am

Steffan wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:As for Bute, he should go back to fighting pasties in Montreal. Obviously he can't deal with anyone who punches back
Calm down. Bute is still a good fighter. His chin is clearly not that good though. But 'pasties' is harsh

I know its harsh but I feel a bit let down by Bute. I actually rated him quite highly before this fight and was one of the few that defended him against his critics. However, after yesterday's performance it's obvious that his critics were 100% right. The guy was just a protected paper champ who isn't in the same league as the likes of Froch, Kessler and Ward.
He just looked so fragile and lightweight. Everytime Froch applied pressure, Bute turned to jelly. It was like watching a grown man beating up a teenager.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 12:01 pm

J.Benson II wrote:I know its harsh but I feel a bit let down by Bute
Bute has ruined my weekend so I know the feeling mad

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 May 2012, 12:02 pm

very well done to Froch, but a poor showing from Bute.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 12:03 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I know its harsh but I feel a bit let down by Bute. I actually rated him quite highly before this fight and was one of the few that defended him against his critics. However, after yesterday's performance it's obvious that his critics were 100% right. The guy was just a protected paper champ who isn't in the same league as the likes of Froch, Kessler and Ward.
He just looked so fragile and lightweight. Everytime Froch applied pressure, Bute turned to jelly. It was like watching a grown man beating up a teenager.

Yep. I agree. I defended him against the crowd. But that's taking the benefit of the doubt away from Froch. He was allowed to perform as best he could because Carl was damn good on the night. Not a protected paper champ, but a good fighter who got beat by a better fighter.

Froch is also a paper champ btw. But a fine fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 May 2012, 12:14 pm

I find it difficult to call Froch a paper champion when he consistently takes on the very best, Ward is without doubt the main man but Froch is a very deserving and willing champion. A paper champion wouldn't seek out rematches against the two men who beat him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 12:15 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:A paper champion wouldn't seek out rematches against the two men who beat him.
Im all for Froch v Kessler in England. Bring it on. Might even go to that one infact

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 12:20 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I find it difficult to call Froch a paper champion when he consistently takes on the very best, Ward is without doubt the main man but Froch is a very deserving and willing champion. A paper champion wouldn't seek out rematches against the two men who beat him.

Ward is the World Champion. The rest are belt-holders. Ergo paper champion. No disrespect to Carl, but it is what it is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next