The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

+26
azania
TopHat24/7
owen10ozzy
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
RANDY77
ShahenshahG
jammin
OasisBFC
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
lfc91
Mayweathers cellmate
Strongback
mobilemaster8
two_tone
Sugar Floyd Louis
Union Cane
as1079
EdWoodjr
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Daz
Rowley
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
PPVxHOTTY
manos de piedra
School Project
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) - Page 2 Empty Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Khan vs Peterson has been called off. Nevada state commision won't sanction the fight.

A fight is looking to be rearranged for Khan for 30th June.

I'm not sure what will happen to the belts, or the previous fight for that matter (NC etc) but it looks as though the WBA and IBF will be stripping him of his titles.

I'll post more as I find out...

Last edited by School Project on Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

School Project

Back to top Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) - Page 2 Empty Re: Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by RANDY77 Thu May 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Think Peterson is clutching at straws. He's yet to come out with a statement declaring is innocence - something that any normal innocent party would have done by now.

If there was an explanation that could be scientifically and medically proven I think we would have heard it by now.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) - Page 2 Empty Re: Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Well they have come out with a statement that makes interesting reading:-

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/172805-peterson-was-treated-for-testosterone-deficiency-in-november

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Scientifically and medically proven to be within current boxing legislation I meant...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 1:24 pm

markj3k wrote:Well they have come out with a statement that makes interesting reading:-

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/172805-peterson-was-treated-for-testosterone-deficiency-in-november

It does to an extent but doesn't tell us anything new from what Peterson claimed after the positive test where he first claimed ignorance & then mentioned TRT. Point being he didn't disclose this treatment up front when he had the oppotunnity to do so which is the normal procedure. All to often this excuse has come out after athletes or fighters get caught, often in mma where there have been numerous cases of high profile fighters being caught. Most fighters in mma who are prescribed TRT have generally juiced in their younger day therefore lowering the natural production of testosterone in the body.

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Thu May 10, 2012 1:29 pm

It just stinks all round. Sad thing is Peterson's stock would have probably risen with all this press (even if it is negative), and when he has completed any joke of a ban that is handed to him, he will land bigger fights and pay days than he ever would if he was never caught.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Interesting place to get treatment

http://www.desertoasisclinic.com/

Alternative medicine facility rather than a "normal" doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Ok just to make it clear Peterson tested positive BEFORE the first fight, but fight went ahead due to the reasoning given by his team for the positive test. As far as I know..Khan wasnt even aware of this..until the positive results of March's random test came about a couple of days ago.

As far as the 'testosterone' being taken for an illness is concerned...how much weight that holds ive no idea. But in my opinion it should be none! Peterson is a professional athlete..he knows the score with regards drugs..if he was ill then im afraid...cancel/delay the fight.

The other thing which doesnt sit well with me is if the issue is a drug taken in November to help combat this illness and it takes '100 days' to clear the system as I have read in alot of these articles etc then how is it in his system still unless he has been continuing to use it. Should of been out of his syster by march - mid march at the latest...his b sample was taken in April and was positive.

Also what illness did he have where it has lasted for nigh on 5 months...

Im sorry but the whole thing stinks as far as I am concerned. Ill wait it out and here his side of the story...but even then surely you would want to get that out in the open as early as possible...unless of course you are required to take time to 'THINK' one up. Called me a synic...but I just cant see how Peterson has made such a mess of this..and he seems guilty as sin at the moment.

As someone has mentioned, this low level testosterone, is usually caused by previous use of 'PED's...and how it isonly been picked up on now is another question that needs asking. All boxers are subject to stringent medical tests and had Peterson suffered from low level natural testosterone then this surely would of been picked up sooner...I cant believe it just suddenly occured in November..1 month before his fight!!

As for the belts..im sure Amir will want to win them back in the ring (as much as people mock him on here) he loves a good fight and does genuinly want to prove himself. The result has to be made a NC ...3 failed drug tests just doesnt sit right and to keep the result would be disgraceful.

As for his opponent in his next fight...no idea.But i wouldnt begrudge him a fringe fighter purely because the chances are he has hit his peak in time for this and will have to taper down and start again...not ideal and would be hesitant to say he will be 100% come his next fight.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu May 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Ozzy mate, any news on the new Prediction League?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Hiya Pal,

Yep I am currently mocking something up this week. I didnt get to press ahead with it when I wanted to as I have been in the midst of re-locating to london but will have something up by Saturday. Entries to be taken over the weekend ready to begin the weekend of 19th May. Sound good?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu May 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Spot on me old marrer, cor blimey, apples & pears and all that.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

jammin wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Why would Khan want his titles back anyway?? I thought he was moving up to Welter.

Wants to move up being a champion in another weight class - bargaining power, respect, legacy.. choose one....

Everybody will write off that loss now with or without a NC.

Didn't Mayweather see Cotto as an undefeated fighter due to losses against someone who cheated in a prior fight from his and also a catchweight fight.

I think this will do Khan the world of good. He doesn't need to right the wrong anymore. Anytime this defeat comes up, Petersons past will take it back down.

He should move up to Welter and get on with the plans he had before the Peterson fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 2:07 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
School Project wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Oh, come on SP, you can't leave us hanging!!!

I don't know myself sorry mate, Gabriel is keeping schtum on it. He put his neck on the line by breaking the story I guess. Plus he probably doesn't want to give too much away in case it messes with the Peterson appeal.

My guess however is that Peterson was suffering from an illness in the lead up to the first fight, he requested testosterone as a part of his medication and that the dosage they used (around 2ml a day per pellet which can last 100 days) was a sufficient amount to help coast his body to produce the right amount.

Something along those lines.

Have to disagree there - if he was ill he would have disclosed it first up. I think theres a sob story that will stop him being called a cheat but this story so far is witholding testosterune use, claiming innocence and throwing out a story when caught. Testosterone for a one time therapeutic treatment would have finished early and ould not have raised it by ratio over 4-1. Either its true and he deliberately upped the dosage or its a lie designed for damage limitations. The first thing any athlete does is inform their commision if there is a genuine medical reason - not conveniently forget about it until you get caught. The day he was prescribed, after sample taken, after first failed sample and after second failed sample. 4 opportunities to tell someone but no one knows. Hell he even took a second test so he could show that he was clean.

I completely agree, it stinks and the likelihood of that story being true is slim. But seeing as Petersons people have released a statement mirroring the exact thing I said, I would hazard a guess that they will be going down the route of "the guy was ill, we did no wrong".

The fact of the matter is, they would have needed to apply for a T.U.E and they didn't. They didn't disclose any illness and this has raised more questions. Think about it... if a boxer becomes ill (Cancer for example) they will require steroids to fight off infection, they have to apply for a T.U.E and will have their license put on hold until the therepy is complete, only allowed to return when they are clear. The same goes for a number of illnesses.

They didn't disclose it, and the fact the guy claims he had less testosterone in his body than a 4 year old girl raises the question that, if true, why was he allowed to fight at all?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu May 10, 2012 2:07 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Hiya Pal,

Yep I am currently mocking something up this week. I didnt get to press ahead with it when I wanted to as I have been in the midst of re-locating to london but will have something up by Saturday. Entries to be taken over the weekend ready to begin the weekend of 19th May. Sound good?

Welcome to London mate, and best of lucking being the new UCPL master!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I havent been too impressed with Garcia when I have watched him. I think Khan would beat him comfortably. It would be a credible opponent though.

Looking at the options around, there doesnt appear to be too many either at 140lb or 147lb that would be a headline topping vegas fight which is why I think it would be better to just fight on the Pacquaio/Bradley undercard.

It hasnt been mentioned much but why not a Maidana rematch? Now might be a good time. Hes available and the fight could take place at either 140lb or 147lb theoretically. Its got a proven history of entertainment and after Maidanas recent showings against Morales and Alexander Khan might fancy it a bit more?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu May 10, 2012 2:34 pm

A Golden Boy fighter fighting on a Top Rank card!!??

Bob would never allow that Manos
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:A Golden Boy fighter fighting on a Top Rank card!!??

Bob would never allow that Manos

Maybe not, but if the money was right I dont think Arum would object too strongly. Your probably right overall though in terms of complications.

Depends on the opponent Khan could get in. His options dont seem to be that great in terms of trying have a big vegas show.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu May 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Don't know the ins and outs of weight-making but would it not be a little difficult for Khan to suddenly start preparing for a WW bout as opposed to a LWW bout? From my uneducated position, it would seem to be better for him to stay at LWW for this fight.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I think 6 weeks would be fine for moving up a weight. Especially against an opponent that is not one of the top names in the division. There just doesnt seem to be any names available at WW for June/July.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Think they're gonna make it late july so he doesnt overtrain.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm

This might work out better for Khan as Roach was concentrating on Pacquiao and Khan was playing second fiddle to him out in the Philippines

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Actually Scratch that it will prob have to be early july as ramadhan starts mid july

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

I can see Corley throwing his name into the mix and Khan taking a "name" fighter who should pose relatively little risk. Given ChopChop's recent stoppage of McClosky, no doubt they can spin it so Khan is seen to be facing another dangerous puncher.

Maybe Barrera can be tempted to get back into the ring (given all the fuss he made about his loss).

Still think Bradley Pryce should be given the call!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu May 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Dan Rafael has said on ringside that he's spoken to people at the IBF who are reviewing the situation and are very concerned about the admittion that he took it before the first fight and are debating whether to strip him.

More and more this is becoming clear it will be ruled a no contest and Amir getting the belts back.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I could never really consider Khan the undisputed top guy at 140lb with Bradley not taken care of.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 pm

If their first fight is belatedly ruled a NC, does the title revert to Khan? Or are they vacant? I can#t recall what happened when Toney beat Ruiz. Did Ruiz get the titles back after Toney was caught on PEDs?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Ruiz retained his title.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Well perhaps they should give the belts back to Khan. Has Peterson tested positive immediately after the fight, thats what would have happened. The passage of time is irrelevant.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 pm

They should definately give the belts back to Khan I think. He took the steroids before the first fight. He even tested positive before the first fight apparently.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu May 10, 2012 7:23 pm

After seeing some comments by Peterson on twitter I wonder if he even knows what he took or what effects it could have had.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Peterson lacks any formal education, so he is probably easy to manipulate. I feel sorry for the guy. He's got the winning numbers but lost the ticket.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Here's the official statement from Petersons camp:

"Team Peterson is very disappointed and distraught by the decision to cancel the May 19 rematch against Amir Khan. This is an extremely difficult decision to accept. We have always taken the position of providing factual information rather than responding emotionally to rumors and innuendoes. We did everything that was asked of us in efforts to comply.

"To support our stance we provided the Nevada State Athletic Commission with a significant amount of factual medical data in response to these allegations. Lamont did a battery of test this week and saw a number of independent board certified physicians. They all had the exact same conclusion as the doctor that initially treated and diagnosed Lamont's medical condition. It began as a confidential medical matter between a patient and his physician. Unfortunately, it has now become a public issue in efforts to clear the name and reputation of this young man.

"As a condition for this rematch, Lamont demanded that Olympic-style random drug testing be implemented. He has been a true advocate for making boxing drug-free and fair. In his 18-year career (10 amateur and eight professional) Lamont Peterson has never failed a drug test and has always complied with the rules beyond this isolated and explainable occurrence.

"We still stand behind the fact that he did nothing wrong and he was more than ready to go through with the May 19 fight. He is a man of tremendous character and will. His work ethic is second to none, and in every sense of the word he is a true champion, in life, as well as in the ring.

"We will vigorously pursue the truth with regards to this matter and continue to fight to protect this young man's character, credibility and all he has accomplished. Once all the facts have been reviewed we have no doubt that he will be vindicated."

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 8:15 pm

School Project wrote:Here's the official statement from Petersons camp:

"Team Peterson is very disappointed and distraught by the decision to cancel the May 19 rematch against Amir Khan. This is an extremely difficult decision to accept. We have always taken the position of providing factual information rather than responding emotionally to rumors and innuendoes. We did everything that was asked of us in efforts to comply.

"To support our stance we provided the Nevada State Athletic Commission with a significant amount of factual medical data in response to these allegations. Lamont did a battery of test this week and saw a number of independent board certified physicians. They all had the exact same conclusion as the doctor that initially treated and diagnosed Lamont's medical condition. It began as a confidential medical matter between a patient and his physician. Unfortunately, it has now become a public issue in efforts to clear the name and reputation of this young man.

"As a condition for this rematch, Lamont demanded that Olympic-style random drug testing be implemented. He has been a true advocate for making boxing drug-free and fair. In his 18-year career (10 amateur and eight professional) Lamont Peterson has never failed a drug test and has always complied with the rules beyond this isolated and explainable occurrence.

"We still stand behind the fact that he did nothing wrong and he was more than ready to go through with the May 19 fight. He is a man of tremendous character and will. His work ethic is second to none, and in every sense of the word he is a true champion, in life, as well as in the ring.

"We will vigorously pursue the truth with regards to this matter and continue to fight to protect this young man's character, credibility and all he has accomplished. Once all the facts have been reviewed we have no doubt that he will be vindicated."

In sport there is no such thing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I think Bradley didn't want to risk the Pacquiao fight although beating Khan would give him a serious boost. I found it strange though that Bradleys manager problems finished the day Khan signed with Peterson.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 pm

VADA's statement has been released in the last hour. This is the first time someone has officially used the word "PEDS" and it looks like they stand by the fact that performance drugs were used:

Statement from the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association:

VADA’s mission is to help protect the health and safety of athletes who are willing to demonstrate their commitment to clean sport. As a voluntary organization, we depend on those who share our vision to help rid boxing and MMA of PEDs. VADA understands and shares the disappointment that is felt by Golden Boy Promotions, Amir Khan, the undercard fighters, HBO, and the thousands of fans who were looking forward to Khan-Peterson II. This unfortunate situation, however, serves to underscore the need for PED education and the high-caliber testing procedures that VADA offers.

VADA has respect for Richard Schaefer, GBP, and their commitment to clean sport. However, VADA disagrees with Mr. Schaefer’s characterizations of the contractual relationship between GBP and VADA. The facts are as follows.

There was never a final or signed contract between GBP and VADA. When VADA became involved with the Peterson-Khan fight in March, the individual athletes signed up for the VADA program and executed the proper documentation.
VADA was told that GBP also wanted a contract so that GBP would be authorized to receive the testing results, including the preliminary results from an “A” sample analysis. It is important to understand that “A” sample results are only preliminary, do not legally stand up by themselves, and under commonly accepted anti-doping procedures are typically released only to the athlete.

In order for VADA to release the preliminary “A” sample results to a third party such as GBP, VADA requires an executed authorization allowing us to do so. VADA sent GBP a draft contract for its signature which would have authorized the preliminary “A” sample results to be released to GBP. This initial draft (which was never signed) contained a clause pursuant to which GBP would have represented that it had obtained the necessary authorization from the fighters. GBP’s legal team rejected this clause and instead suggested making the fighters signatories to the contract with their signatures being the necessary authorization. VADA’s counsel made it clear to GBP that, if GBP wanted to handle it this way, GBP must take responsibility for obtaining the athlete’s signatures. Unfortunately, and to VADA’s dismay, GBP never obtained the signatures.

Various versions of a draft contract were sent back and forth between GBP and VADA. The contract was never finalized. Richard Schaefer may, or may not, have been aware of this situation. The bottom line is that VADA had no contract with GBP. This is not a mere technicality. It involves issues of medical ethics. VADA needed a signed contract in order to deviate from its Results Management Policy (posted on our website) and release the preliminary and personal medical information to a third party. VADA still has never received a signed contract or signed athlete authorization from GBP.

VADA would have been happy to inform GBP of the preliminary “A” results. But we needed a signed authorization allowing us to do so, which we never received.

It has also been asked why it took so long to test the “B” sample after the first positive test result. When VADA notified Mr. Peterson of the adverse finding on April 13, Mr. Peterson had one week to challenge the “A” test result and ask for the “B” sample to be tested. During that time, Mr. Peterson also had the opportunity to supplement his earlier written submissions to VADA with regard to drugs and other medications that he had used prior to the testing. Mr. Peterson’s representatives waited eight days (until Saturday, April 21) to respond. At that time, they did not communicate any of the “exculpatory” material later offered to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Instead, they chose to challenge the positive test result, asserted their right to be present when the “B” sample was tested, and asked that the “B” sample be tested on Friday, April 27th. The UCLA laboratory said that Friday was an inappropriate day to begin testing because four consecutive days are needed to complete the test. The sample “B” test began on Monday, April 30th.

VADA has complied in every way with all signed contracts that we had and will continue to do so. VADA welcomes the discussion about the dangers of PEDs to those who use them and to their opponents. We also reiterate our contention that it is imperative for the managers, promoters, and friends of these brave athletes to assist in the education about PEDs. VADA will help in every way we can. Our hope is that there will come a time when every test is negative

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu May 10, 2012 9:07 pm

hampo171 wrote:Schaefer has said they're pushing for a no contest which is 100% right in my opinion.

Was looking forward to this fight, wouldn't mind seeing Khan in with Marquez.

Why?, there is no evidence he was on steroids during their fight..

For me he knew there would be tests, so the fact he was found positive sounds odd... did they think for some reason they would not pick up on it?, sometimes these tests can pick up on other stuff, I will give it time before I Judge Peterson..

Khan has obviously jumped for an excuse for his defeat as he did ever since the fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 pm

tunes666 wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Schaefer has said they're pushing for a no contest which is 100% right in my opinion.

For me he knew there would be tests, so the fact he was found positive sounds odd... did they think for some reason they would not pick up on it?, sometimes these tests can pick up on other stuff, I will give it time before I Judge Peterson..

Khan has obviously jumped for an excuse for his defeat as he did ever since the fight.

Actually Team Peterson have said that he was.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 pm

azania wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

Actually Team Peterson have said that he was.

Have you got a source for that info?

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Their own Lawyer mate - you need to read up the whole thing. Apparently Peterson also failed a test Prior to the fight but no one was told.

Search for "Hip Implant Novmber Peterson Khan" in google

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm

This entire debate shows the need for clarity and uniformity for drug testing. How there can be such differences is crazy.

Also most troubling is the claim that these substances were used in November yet the fight went ahead. Madness.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Interview with Lamont Peterson is up on The Ring. He's claiming the PEDS were a soy based product:

RingTV.com spoke to junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson concerning the positive drug test for a banned substance which has forced the cancellation of the rematch with Amir Khan that was slated for May 19.

Peterson (30-1-1, 15 knockouts) cited medical reasons for having had testosterone pellets injected into his hip by Las Vegas-based doctor John A. Thompson in November, but his admission has clouded the result of December's split-decision over Khan (26-2, 18 KOs), who, with promoter Golden Boy, will likely demand that the result be overturned.

Peterson and Khan contractually agreed to have their blood and urine randomly drug tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) for their rematch.

A letter from VADA president and founder Dr. Margaret Goodman to Nevada State Athletic Commission director Keith Kizer specifies that Peterson's urine specimen "was collected on March 19," and that its test results were "consistent with the administration of an anabolic steroid such as testosterone."

In this Q&A, Peterson corroborates Thompson's assertion tht he "administered...testosterone in the form of pellets which were inserted subcutaneously" into Peterson's hip for the purpose of treating abnormally low levels of the natural body chemical.

Thompson, who began working with Peterson and his trainer, Barry Hunter, sometime before his loss to Tim Bradley in December of 2009, contends that the low levels of testosterone were a threat to the fighter's health, and that the injections "would not produce a significant enhancement of athletic performance."

Peterson also addresses why he did not reveal the testosterone treatment along with other forms of medications he was taking when he signed up with VADA or when his initial sample was collected in March.

RingTV.com: How are you?

Lamont Peterson: I'm built tough, so I'll be all right.

RingTV.com: What do you want to say to the public concerning this entire situation?

LP: I just want to tell everybody to just give me a chance to prove my innocence. Just because all of this stuff is coming out, they're saying this and saying that, here my truth first, or at least hear my side and then make your decision.

There are a lot of people out here saying a lot of things and dragging my name through the mud. But I'm okay with that, because at the end of the day, the truth will come out. I'm just hoping that people give me a chance to prove my innocence.

At the end of the day, I didn't cheat and I'm going to stand by that. I'm not a cheating person. Anybody who really knows me knows that, and that I would never cheat. No matter how much money was on the line or whatever was on the line, I'm not going to cheat. That's not me.

alt

RingTV.com: How do you explain the results of the procedure you had with Dr. Thompson?

LP: Well even with the procedure that I had with Dr. Thompson, it's not a steroid. There are a lot of lies being told out here that are making things up.

To me, there is something going on, and we're going to get to the bottom of it. Until we get to the bottom of it, at least allow me the chance to get to the bottom of things before you just start judging me.

RingTV.com: Why were you advised to go to that particular doctor as opposed to, say, one closer to home?

LP: This is a doctor that I've dealt with for the last three or four years. Ever since I fought Timothy Bradley I've been dealing with this doctor. So once you get a good doctor, you want to stick with that doctor.

RingTV.com: What were the circumstances under which you came to work with Dr. Thompson and why were you advised to do so?

LP: We were doing camp out in Las Vegas at the time, and we were there for maybe a month or a month and a half. So, we dealt with him at that particular time and we have continued to deal with him from then on.

It was just to get regular supplements and things like that while we were there. We weren't at home, and so we went over there to get vitamins and things like that. That's all.

RingTV.com: How did you learn about Dr. Thompson?

LP: I went through Barry, and of course, when Barry says "we're going here," then that's where we're going to go and that's what we're going to do.

RingTV.com: This last visit was for your having experienced fatigue?

LP: Yeah, we were in camp and we were trying to figure out why, at some points, I would sit down and start to get dizzy and things like that. So, of course, we're trying to figure out what was going on.

So the doctor told us to go and get some lab work done, and to get all of these different tests done on me to try and figure out what was going on.

The test results came back, and a lot of stuff checked out normal. But one or two things showed up very low, and that was a concern.

That was a concern not just for boxing, but having low testosterone can, you know, affect your general health in many ways. Once Dr. Thompson explained all of that to me, and he explained all about the procedure, we did it.

RingTV.com: Was this the first time you had the procedure done while working with Dr. Thompson?

LP: Yes, this was the first time for that.

RingTV.com: Were there any concerns that this was illegal?

LP: Well he was showing me that it was not a steroid, and that it wasn't a performance enhancement drug or anything like that. He said that it's not going to make me feel like Super Man or anything like that.

It's not going to make feel like a super hero. He said it's just going to bring my levels up and that's all, and that my overall health would be better. He told me all of this before he went through with the procedure.

I even went online to watch videos of them doing the procedure, because I was kind of cautious about it. So I went online, did the research, found out that it was considered an all-natural substance and supplement.

It's a soy-based product, and I watched them actually do the procedure on several people who had the same problem that I have, and so I said, you know what? We're going to go through with it, and that's what we did.

alt

RingTV.com: So when you pushed for the VADA testing, you were confident that there would not be a problem?

LP: Right, because I was sure that it was not be considered a performance enhancing drug. You know, almost anything that you put inside of your body, if you do a test like this, it's going to show up.

But, you know, there are certain things that will show up, and then there are certain things that they're looking for. I was sure that this was not anything that would give me a dirty urine that would lead to me failing a test.

RingTV.com: Were you tested by the Washington, D.C. commission prior to the first fight?

LP: Yeah. I figured that we were tested in D.C., and I took the test there, and I passed it. I mean, I asked for the blood and urine test, and I'm really someone who wants to be part of the movement in boxing to clean up the sport.

Because I really feel as though there are people out here who are cheating, and I know that I'm not one of them, so this is something that I really wanted for the sport of boxing. Not just for me.

Yeah, I wanted it of course for the safety of myself and for my brother and for everyone else, and for the sport of boxing, because I do believe that there are a lot of things that are going on that are not fair.

So, that's something that I wanted, not saying that Amir Khan is a cheater, but I was trying to make a statement and to let other top fighters out there know that, "look, this is what we need to do to clean up the sport."

So, if I'm cheating, why would I ask for that? That wouldn't not make no sense for me to ask for extensive and expansive drug testing if I was cheating.

RingTV.com: What was your reaction to the positive test?

LP: So when I found out about the dirty test, we were surprised. They said that it might be from a cream or some other substance. So I went home, and Barry was telling me to look for things, like, did I switch my shampoo or my lotion?

Or anything like that. So I gathered everything and I gave it to them and we just couldn't find out what it was. I gave them permission as part of the process to test sample B, and they tested it and they said that they found the same thing.

Really, they didn't know, at that point, what was going on. They kept saying that it was a steroid. Still, at this point, I knew that I didn't take any steroids, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

RingTV.com: You didn't think of disclosing the testosterone procedure with Dr. Thompson?

LP: I figured that there was really no need to think that at first, but then I was like, "maybe it is that. Maybe." Or, not even, "maybe it could be that," but to just let them know everything that had gone on.

Everything that I've done, taken, eaten, everything, pretty much. But at that point, it was the testosterone problem again. They were thinking that it was a steroid and all of this. It's not a steroid.

It's not any of that they're saying that it is. Once we get the story out there and get the facts out there and the truth out there, people will see that I did not cheat. I did not take a performance enhancing drug. It just didn't happen.

RingTV.com: What is your response to Amir Khan insinuating that you appeared to be bigger and stronger than most guys that he hit before and that you should be banned?

LP: Everything that you just said that he said, at the end of the day, the facts will prove that wrong. As far a my weight in the fight, I gained a lot of weight for a reason. Pretty much every fight, that's what I do.

The only fight that that didn't happen was the fight with Victor Ortiz, and that's because I was sick. Any other fight, I was well above 150 pounds. If you go back to April of 2009, against Willy Blain on HBO?

Go back to that fight track and I weighed 154, 155 pounds for that fight. That was against Willy Blain. Anybody who says that I fought differently or looked stronger, watch any of my fights on television.

From Willy Blain to Timothy Bradley to Victor Cayo, I put pressure on them, I was stronger than them, and it was the same way in the Khan fight. When I continued to fight, further on, you would see that.

khan vs peterson_4

RingTV.com: What is your response to those who say that you should be stripped of your belts for the fight in Washington, D.C. and that this positive test impugns your victory over Khan?

LP: Don't be so quick to judge me. Let the facts come out first. If at any point they could say or show me that the procedure I did resulted in me taking a performance enhancing drug, and that it actually helped me to defeat Khan, and that it is a steroid that helped me win, then I could say, "okay, whatever, you can have the belts" and I'll say, "I'm sorry, I didn't know," or whatever the case may be. But that's not what happened, and I already know that.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Looks like Khan had plenty of reason to be cheesed off afterall. KP even said he was on stuff in the last fight.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 2:06 pm

I dont really understand Petersons argument. He is saying he didnt take any steroids. VADA is saying he did. What hidden truth is he implying is going to come out?

At the very best, he can claim ignorance of the effect of the procedures but I dont see how he can deny them or say it didnt help. Either way, if he was illegal stuff then he should be stripped whether he knew about it or not.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Looks to me that he is setting the scene for his doctor to take the blame.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm

azania wrote:Looks to me that he is setting the scene for his doctor to take the blame.

Thats not even what he seems to be saying though, because in that event he would have accept he deserved to be stripped. He seems to be saying he didnt take anything that broke any rules.

Seems to be a straighforward case of him taking artificial testosterone. His only defence can be that he was ignorant to the effects of the procedure or to its legality.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

I have very little sympathy for him, there are countless sports with far more stringent testing than boxing and those who genuinely want to remain clean can manage it, Petersen or any other boxer should be able to do likewise. Seriously if you are going in for a medical procedure or starting a course of medicine how hard is it to say "I am a professional athlete this is the list of substances I am not allowed to take, are any of these products used in the treatment I am about to take?"

For me there is really no excuse, you get well paid for doing what you do part and parcel of that is making sure you are responsible in respect to stuff like this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Basically Peterson isn't the humble fighter many thought he was, he should never be allowed to fight again at least Mosley put his hands up and admitted what he did instead you get a cheat who's been caught making every excuse under the sun.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri May 11, 2012 2:43 pm

You can take herbs to boost tst, so how much would a little bit of testosterone help a fighter in a fight? Obviously good for training you would think. Never taken steroids so sorry if it's a stupid question.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

My reading - I've had nothing to do but read u on this stuff but dont take it as gospel.

VADA did a test a found a steroid in his system - VADA is formed by former Nevada Commision Doc Margaret Goodman who seems to have closed all the holes in the commision tests for her business

WADA don't do that test and that particular PED isnt banned on their list probably because they havent come across it before. This is probably the reason why Petersons team could so boldly demand Khan to be tested along with the liklihood of them getting away with it. His reason for coming over to some homeopath witch doctor is because he knows and trusts him and he couldnt find or trust someone in DC.

Just gets dafter and dafter.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 pm

On ringside yesterday Khan said that he informs his doctor of any meds he intends to take for any ailment. In short he relies on his doctor. If the doc gives him something on the banned list (by accident) Khan falls face first and is branded a cheat.

Who knows, LP could be a victim here. Personally he should be banned for 2 years and who ever prescribed the drugs to him should not be allowed to work with sportsmen again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Thats his private doctor thogh Az - paid for by GBP so everything is above board

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next