The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

+26
azania
TopHat24/7
owen10ozzy
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
RANDY77
ShahenshahG
jammin
OasisBFC
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
lfc91
Mayweathers cellmate
Strongback
mobilemaster8
two_tone
Sugar Floyd Louis
Union Cane
as1079
EdWoodjr
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Daz
Rowley
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
PPVxHOTTY
manos de piedra
School Project
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) Empty Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:36 am

Khan vs Peterson has been called off. Nevada state commision won't sanction the fight.

A fight is looking to be rearranged for Khan for 30th June.

I'm not sure what will happen to the belts, or the previous fight for that matter (NC etc) but it looks as though the WBA and IBF will be stripping him of his titles.

I'll post more as I find out...

Last edited by School Project on Thu 10 May 2012, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

School Project

Back to top Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) Empty Re: Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:44 am

Official statement released regarding tickets:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/LAMONT-PETERSON-VS--AMIR-KHAN-II-CANCELLED.html?soid=1102055440350&aid=XBevlcVUqdI

Official hearing is booked for the 15th May.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements) Empty Re: Breaking: Khan - Peterson is Off! (Includes Interview with Peterson + Statements)

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:46 am

Amir Khan has posted on Twitter:

Amir Khan ‏ @AmirKingKhan

The fight is off! sorry everyone the only person to blame is @kingpete26 I'll be looking for a opponent to fight June 30th

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 10 May 2012, 12:51 am

Juan Manuel Marquez would be good.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:55 am

There's rumours of Miguel Vazquez stepping in, he has been inactive since January. He kicks about the Lightweight and Junior Welterweight area so it might be a good option.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 12:56 am

Mike Alvarado is a name that springs to mind

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:58 am

PPVxHOTTY wrote:Mike Alvarado is a name that springs to mind

Might be very short notice, he only fought 2 or 3 weeks back... might not want to risk a L on his record. He's quite a promising contender aint he?

Good shout though!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 10 May 2012, 1:01 am

I think they would better off putting Vasquez on the Pacquiao undercard probably. Its only a month away so would get Khan back in action sooner rather than later against a credible but probably not vegas headliner style opponent.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 1:04 am

School Project wrote:
PPVxHOTTY wrote:Mike Alvarado is a name that springs to mind

Might be very short notice, he only fought 2 or 3 weeks back... might not want to risk a L on his record. He's quite a promising contender aint he?

Good shout though!

Yes he's a very underrated boxer, the short notice is only problem. Roach will never put Khan in their with a fighter like Alvarado, but he is a promising contender even for the future.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 6:00 am

I really liked Lamont, a great success story but I can't help but feel rather disappointed in him, I'm open minded enough to give him a second chance as I hope he will do but he should have to undergo stringent drug testing until he retires. (As should every boxer in my opinion)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 10 May 2012, 7:37 am

Schaefer has said they're pushing for a no contest which is 100% right in my opinion.

Was looking forward to this fight, wouldn't mind seeing Khan in with Marquez.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 May 2012, 7:45 am

Feel genuinely sorry for Khan and anyone who was travelling over to the fight because I have done it and it is not cheap but this is absolutely the right decision, if we are going to have more stringent testing, which most everyone agrees the sport needs we cannot simply ignore results that are inconvenient otherwise what is the point.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 10 May 2012, 9:03 am

Agree Jeff. I'm terribly disappointed, cant imagine how Khan feels. He must have just winding winding up his training camp. I hope he adjusts for his next fight as their is a danger of him over training now. Bad bad news. I was looking forward to this fight more than the Mayweather fight.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 10 May 2012, 9:52 am

Alvarado was getting outboxed by Prescott. He may have finished in style, but isn't a huge puncher so if Prescott can outbox him than khan should.

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Thu 10 May 2012, 10:08 am

The bloke is in line for a career-high payday but blows it by deciding to juice himself up. No wonder boxers have the reputation for not being the sharpest tools in the box.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 10:09 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Alvarado was getting outboxed by Prescott. He may have finished in style, but isn't a huge puncher so if Prescott can outbox him than khan should.

When did anyone say he didn't get out boxed? my point was he would have been a viable enough opponent as replacement. Also funny how you mention Prescott out boxing him yet you don't realise the same Prescott knocked out Khan, so your logic is flawed.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 10 May 2012, 10:16 am

The BBC say GBP are looking at Danny Garcia. Would make sense, a relatively well-known name, holds a world title, and would be a decent fight.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 10:20 am

as1079 wrote:The BBC say GBP are looking at Danny Garcia. Would make sense, a relatively well-known name, holds a world title, and would be a decent fight.

He beat Morales in March, and hes unbeaten I doubt Team Khan will want to risk him. They will not put Khan in their with someone unbeaten.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 10 May 2012, 10:23 am

PPVxHOTTY wrote:
as1079 wrote:The BBC say GBP are looking at Danny Garcia. Would make sense, a relatively well-known name, holds a world title, and would be a decent fight.

He beat Morales in March, and hes unbeaten I doubt Team Khan will want to risk him. They will not put Khan in their with someone unbeaten.

Why not? Yes, he's unbeaten but I don't think that'll put them off putting him in the ring with Khan. As I said, I don't think it would be a terribly high-risk match and, if we're honest, there aren't many 'top' names who would be willing to go in at barely six weeks notice.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 10 May 2012, 10:24 am

PPVxHOTTY wrote:He beat Morales in March, and hes unbeaten I doubt Team Khan will want to risk him. They will not put Khan in their with someone unbeaten.

They should go for it. If Khan loses he's lost nothing, as long as they get it on before the first Peterson fight is ruled a NC and Khan gets the WBA and IBF belts back. Of course if he beats Garcia, he would then hold three. It's a no brainer.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 10 May 2012, 10:26 am

I'd see Khan beating Garcia. He beat a very much past it Morales and Khans speed would be the key difference. But it is whether Team Khan feel he's worth the risk, I'd say yes as he'd be crowned WBC/WBA/IBF would champ and undisputed LWW Champ.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 10:30 am

The issue here is timing as many have already pointed out, regardless of opponent this also boils down to how much 'bargaining power' Team Khan hold! Imo theirs 4 or 5 names but they all have upcoming fights/recently fought:

Kendall Holt
Mike Alvarado
Humberto Soto
Brandon Rios
Danny Garcia

Its also funny how Khan is nuthugging Mayweather about the 'clean sport stance' yet their so called Pacman refuses these same tests.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 10 May 2012, 10:37 am

Sad damn it, was looking forward to it. Peterson's an idiot.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 10:44 am

Garcia is a clever match up and will represent some form of a challenge to Khan, but realistically they aren't in the same league.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 10 May 2012, 10:46 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Garcia is a clever match up and will represent some form of a challenge to Khan, but realistically they aren't in the same league.

Yes cos Khan is in the same league as Henry Armstrong? comments like this make me laugh

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu 10 May 2012, 10:59 am

Here are Khan's comments, sorry if its been posted already.

Khan v Peterson II cancelled; Khan aims to box on 30th June
Taking the advice of his family and his promoter, Amir Khan has finally pulled the plug and cancelled his proposed May 19th match against Lamont Peterson after the American failed a drugs test.

Khan was hoping to regain the WBA and IBF light-welterweight belts he lost in controversial circumstances in December.

Khan's PR team issued the following statement this morning: "A failed pre-fight drug test administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coupled with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s (NSAC) legal inability to hold a formal hearing on the matter of licensing Lamont Peterson for his Saturday, May 19 rematch against Amir Khan until Tuesday, May 15, has forced the cancellation of the event.

"Ticket refunds for “Peterson vs. Khan II” will be available at your point of purchase. Ticketmaster may be reached at (800) 745-3000 or www.ticketmaster.com. Event ticket refunds for fans traveling from the United Kingdom are available at www.sportscorporation.com or by calling +44 (0)845 163 0845."

A disconsolate and understandably angry Khan told Sky Sports: "First of all I'm disappointed because I trained very hard for this fight. It was only 10 days away from the fight where my dad came knocking on my bedroom door and said to me 'look, Lamont Peterson's failed his drug test and the fight's no longer going to happen'.

"It was a big shock for me. My head was all over the place, I really, really wanted to win my titles back and have the fight. But the truth's come out now and it just proves that Lamont Peterson was a cheat really.

"It hurt me more than anything because I really did want to go in there and put on a performance and show the world how good Amir Khan is.

"The Nevada Commission have taken the licence off Lamont Peterson and they don't want him to fight in the next fight, so I think whoever I fight next they'll put the titles on the line or we still go through the process and we might get the titles back and the fight that we had last time will be a no-contest.

"I'm looking at fighting June 30. I'm in great shape now. I was looking forward to fighting next week. I'm already at the right weight and it was a tough, tough training camp. I was so fit and looking forward to this fight. I wanted this fight even when I heard he failed his drugs test, I did everything to get the fight on, but my parents and my team said to me 'look, at the end of the day Amir, it could be a risk to your life. It's not going to be fair to step into the ring with someone who is gonna to be on drugs and gonna be cheating'.

"The next fight for me will be June, July. I've got a meeting with Golden Boy Promotions over the next few days and hopefully we'll set a date."

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 10 May 2012, 11:04 am

This sucks. Looks like the first fight will be shadowed with EVEN MORE contraversy!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 11:06 am

Ive read plenty of statements made by you predicting fights and such that have been woefully inaccurate, yet I don't sit around poking fun especially in the manner you just did PPV.

I don't believe Garcia to be anything other than in the lower levels of World class whereas Khan is in the rather higher levels of a world class performer, so I would personally expect Khan to beat him rather convincingly... I don't quite see wherre you're getting these "laughs" at my expense from.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 10 May 2012, 11:14 am

Is Peterson's biggest crime that he got caught?

I would be quietly confident that he is not the only world champion fighting that is using PED's.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 10 May 2012, 11:14 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:I don't believe Garcia to be anything other than in the lower levels of World class whereas Khan is in the rather higher levels of a world class performer, so I would personally expect Khan to beat him rather convincingly.

Completely agree with this. Garcia is a good fighter but that's all he is, in my opinion. Khan is world-class and would have far too much for Garcia.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 11:28 am

Guys, I've been talking to Gabriel Montoya (the guy who broke the story of Lamont using PEDs). He's telling me that the "other side of the story" (Lamont) is quite compelling.

I don't know the reasons myself, but will hope to find out soon. But basically, he's been in touch with Barry Hunter and the Doctor that Peterson used.

Regardless, using testosterone is bad news and doesn't look good for any boxer. Gabriel is a sports writer so has to keep a level head and not make wild accusations, but he has been told some quite interesting stuff by the Peterson team...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 11:31 am

Oh, come on SP, you can't leave us hanging!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 10 May 2012, 11:31 am

I highly doubt it's going to be a BIG name.

Marquez wont risk it, he's fighting in July as a tune up for pacquiao, a fighter he knows he can beat and gets a lot more money from it.

Guerrero, Matthysse, Soto, Ortiz, Berto are all tied up with other fights and won't cancel them to figh khan. Garcia will be protected, olusegun is suppose to fight him soon.

Olusegun wouldn't be a bad choice tbh, he's not a name but is a really good fighter who isn't tied up and is begging for a title shot.

Kell Brook anyone. He hasn't got an opponent for July 7th yet and we know how these 2 want to get it on. Khan was going up to 147 after Peterson anyway, why shouldn't he now.

Maidana or Alexander would also be good fights. Maidana will be a good rematch but he's been found out a couple times now. Alexander looks likes. 147lber and won't want to go down. He might not want it though

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 11:34 am

Think Alexander will be facing Malignaggi sometime soon personally.

Jeez imagine if it was Kell... Would be too good to be true though surely.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 10 May 2012, 11:38 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Think Alexander will be facing Malignaggi sometime soon personally.

Jeez imagine if it was Kell... Would be too good to be true though surely.

Yea I think he is already in negotiations with Paulie. Brook would be great but can't see it personally.

They'll give him an easy shot so he can win his titles back in style before moving up to welterweight

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 11:42 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Oh, come on SP, you can't leave us hanging!!!

I don't know myself sorry mate, Gabriel is keeping schtum on it. He put his neck on the line by breaking the story I guess. Plus he probably doesn't want to give too much away in case it messes with the Peterson appeal.

My guess however is that Peterson was suffering from an illness in the lead up to the first fight, he requested testosterone as a part of his medication and that the dosage they used (around 2ml a day per pellet which can last 100 days) was a sufficient amount to help coast his body to produce the right amount.

Something along those lines.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 11:44 am

[quote="Strongback"]Is Peterson's biggest crime that he got caught?

I would be quietly confident that he is not the only world champion fighting that is using PED's.[/quote]

I'd say so, he's not the first to be caught & far bigger names have been accused of using PED's whilst never failing a test, whilst bigger names again have asked for more stringent testing.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 10 May 2012, 11:47 am

School Project wrote:

I don't know myself sorry mate, Gabriel is keeping schtum on it. He put his neck on the line by breaking the story I guess. Plus he probably doesn't want to give too much away in case it messes with the Peterson appeal.

My guess however is that Peterson was suffering from an illness in the lead up to the first fight, he requested testosterone as a part of his medication and that the dosage they used (around 2ml a day per pellet which can last 100 days) was a sufficient amount to help coast his body to produce the right amount.

I'm not sure how much that the illness excuss will work though SP. He didn't admit taking the pellets until he had to, it implys he has something to hide, something sinister.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 10 May 2012, 11:48 am

Obviously this destroys the credibility of his first win over Khan.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 11:53 am

School Project wrote:

Now there is a possibility that this is the case but why didn't he disclose this when he took the test? Had he done so the fight would almost certainly be on.
Why did he claim ignorance for the findings when the test came back positive?
Why has his team since said that he was prescribed TRT by a Dr for low testosterone levels?
All of this sounds like backtracking after being caught out & makes it seem like he is guilty of something.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 11:55 am

Petersons camp will attempt to process a T.U.E (Therapeutic Use Exemption) to the Testosterone use. Ironically the USADA do not allow under any circumstances an application for it.

VADA are a different organisation and haven't got any clear stipulations against it that I can see.

Gabriel stated that what he heard was "tragic" and believed VADA should allow the T.U.E on this occassion... intriguing stuff.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 May 2012, 12:00 pm

Sorry guys, I haven't been seeing the responses.

I agree, this has damaged his career and Hampo, you're 100% right... he only admitted when he was pushed to. He failed a number of tests and never applied or made anyone aware of any underlying health issues.

It's very strange.

I also read yesterday that a the pellets are usually 200ml and can last 100 days, releasing 2ml into the bloodstream throughout the day. Victor Conte (Ex-Balco) said that the adminstration of 2 pellets would be no different to the juice that you get some injecting gives you.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 10 May 2012, 12:00 pm

Probably already been covered but im busy atm so no time to read through the comments, but is the positive sample from before the first fight? If so does that not mean the first fight result has to be changed to a NC?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 10 May 2012, 12:03 pm

I think this is a great day for the "The commissions do a fine job, so we do not need Olympic Style Drug Test" crew to eat humble pie. They were out in force when Mayweather demanded it from Manny.

It is outragous that more boxers haven't got caught yet. The commissions should bring random testing into every fight. Then we will see whos performances start getting worse.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 10 May 2012, 12:06 pm

Garcia all day for me. To see Khan with the WBC and the other belts (if they're up for grabs) would be great.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 10 May 2012, 12:12 pm

lfc91 wrote:Probably already been covered but im busy atm so no time to read through the comments, but is the positive sample from before the first fight? If so does that not mean the first fight result has to be changed to a NC?

The positive test was taken in March, however Petersons team have said it was something he took back in November.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 10 May 2012, 12:15 pm

Why would Khan want his titles back anyway?? I thought he was moving up to Welter.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Thu 10 May 2012, 12:18 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Why would Khan want his titles back anyway?? I thought he was moving up to Welter.

Wants to move up being a champion in another weight class - bargaining power, respect, legacy.. choose one....

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 10 May 2012, 12:29 pm

Cheers hampo. What about the chance of a NC?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 10 May 2012, 12:56 pm

School Project wrote:

Have to disagree there - if he was ill he would have disclosed it first up. I think theres a sob story that will stop him being called a cheat but this story so far is witholding testosterune use, claiming innocence and throwing out a story when caught. Testosterone for a one time therapeutic treatment would have finished early and ould not have raised it by ratio over 4-1. Either its true and he deliberately upped the dosage or its a lie designed for damage limitations. The first thing any athlete does is inform their commision if there is a genuine medical reason - not conveniently forget about it until you get caught. The day he was prescribed, after sample taken, after first failed sample and after second failed sample. 4 opportunities to tell someone but no one knows. Hell he even took a second test so he could show that he was clean.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next