The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro Bowl - do you care?

+2
TheBrownTown
Good Golly I'm Olly
6 posters

Go down

Pro Bowl - do you care? Empty Pro Bowl - do you care?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:50 pm

The Pro Bowl looks like it is going to be revamped! About time I say, the most boring, meaningless game in the world. Nobody wants to get injured so they play at like 50% pace. The O-line and D-line might as well be having tea at some points.

I would like to see a college all star team play the NFL all star team, would give us an idea of how good these rookies can be! After the Super Bowl as well

Your thoughts and suggestions?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Pro Bowl - do you care? Empty Re: Pro Bowl - do you care?

Post by TheBrownTown Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

I'm glad they're revamping it and I don't think it should just be axed. The pro-bowl isn't just a meaningless game it's also a way of looking at a players success. When looking back at a player's career people often look at how many pro-bowls that player went to, it's a good way of showing that you're a good player.

Maybe an event like they have in the NBA would work? They could have a QB accuracy competition, a WR catching one etc

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm

I don't think they'll revamp it, I think they'll just can it. It is a meaningless, boring game.

They used to have the NFL versus the College All-Stars but that stopped in the 70s sometime. Probably too much risk of injury and liability issues.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

The Mangler US_UK wrote:I don't think they'll revamp it, I think they'll just can it. It is a meaningless, boring game.

ESPN is reporting that they are removing it entirely.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7857508/nfl-moving-suspend-pro-bowl-sources-say/

The biggest problems from my perspective are
a) its played at a terrible pace because nobody wants to get hurt
b) The voting process is a bit of a joke... certain players get in simply on name
c) Superbowl players don't play and the rosters on the day end up being totally different to the ones actually voted for... I think David Garrard got in as the 6th AFC QB one year (and yet he still gets to claim a pro bowl appearance!)

I wouldn't miss it, but I figure it should stay in some form.
I'd rather the voting was by a panel in an effort to remove the dodgy picks and the overlooking of players who don't play on primetime or heavy fanbase teams - but i cant see the NFL removing the fan vote

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

OK, I agree with most of these points, but it is supposed to be a bit of a spectacle and meaningful for the players voted.

I'd suggest that as a way to avoid the contentious nature of the 'I'm not risking my career for a meaningless game', approach, they make it what it actually is - a game of flag football. The only contact being O & D line and no hitting. Same end result.

I'd also suggest having the Senior Bowl (and HS equivalent?) on same weekend and same location - a real reward for the best HS/College players without having to pay them. Lets face it, the Senior Bowl is actually competitive after all!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:34 pm

I like the idea of a Senior Bowl - Pro Bowl tie up. Could be interesting

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:I like the idea of a Senior Bowl - Pro Bowl tie up. Could be interesting

As The Mangler mentioned above, that would be akin to the old College All-Star Game which was discontinued in the '70s. A team of graduating college players would play a one-off pre-season exhibition against the previous year's champions. They played at the same half-tilt as the Pro-Bowl - the rookies with NFL dreams in their eyes had orders not to get hurt; the returning pros shaking off the winter-spring cobwebs and looking to protect their jobs without pissing off the their employers had orders not to hurt them.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 01 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Don't know about Crazy, but I was talking about putting the all star game(s) on the same weekend as the PB to up the interest in the whole event. Definitely not suggesting pro's against college players.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 02 May 2012, 7:42 pm

skins4ever wrote:Don't know about Crazy, but I was talking about putting the all star game(s) on the same weekend as the PB to up the interest in the whole event. Definitely not suggesting pro's against college players.

I was also suggesting the same weekend, different game idea

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down