The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

+37
dublin_dave
Ozzy3213
mr_stonelea
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Comfort
asoreleftshoulder
flyhalffactory
BlueNote
ChequeredJersey
formerly known as Sam
RuggerRadge2611
wickedwasp
killer938
BigTrevsbigmac
nathan
Mad for Chelsea
LeinsterFan4life
dummy_half
gleesonisgod
bedfordwelsh
rhino-dragon
EnglishReign
maestegmafia
21st Century Schizoid Man
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Sgt_Pooly
Liam
slartibartfast
alive555
TycroesOsprey
Shifty
HERSH
thebluesmancometh
doctornickolas
eirebilly
Biltong
Artful_Dodger
41 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby - Page 3 Empty Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Planet Rugby have put forward their team of the Six Nations.

15 Rob Kearney (Ireland) - Strong efforts from Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg and Ben Foden were all outdone by Kearney, who was solid under the high ball and also threw in fine running from the back to prove he has returned to his best form. That defeat to England offered few chances to show what he is capable of but we had already seen enough.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Wales) - It was tough to leave out the championship's top try-scorer, Tommy Bowe, but how could we overlook Cuthbert? Only taking up the game at sixteen years of age and made his RaboDirect PRO12 debut for Cardiff Blues back in September 2011, Cuthbert has taken to Test rugby like a duck to water and deserved Saturday's try.

13 Jonathan Davies (Wales) - The 23-year-old is set for a long future in the Welsh jersey and will soon push hard for a British and Irish Lions starting spot. He scored two tries against Ireland in round one and his carrying ability was consistently backed up by solid defence, highlighted by his winning of a relieving penalty on his own line against France.

12 Wesley Fofana (France) - Why the stand-out inside centre was uprooted from number twelve and shifted to wing for the final weekend had us all scratching our heads. But like Kearney, his gold star was earned earlier on as he scored four in four games and was a classy runner for les Bleus. A mention for bustling duo Brad Barritt and Jamie Roberts.

11 George North (Wales) - His bounce-off of Ireland's Fergus McFadden will be a lasting memory of Six Nations 2012. He and Cuthbert were workhorses coming off their wings.

10 Owen Farrell (England) - Started out at centre but injury to early-championship try-scorer Charlie Hodgson meant Farrell was thrust into the ten shirt. That is where his future lies with England as he demonstrated poise and solidity throughout. He pips Rhys Priestland.

9 Mike Phillips (Wales) - Our toughest selection due to so few scrum-halves putting their hand up. While he sometimes attempts to take on the opposition all by himself, Phillips is one of only a small percentage of nines capable of mixing it physically with back-rows. Solid.

8 Sergio Parisse (Italy) - From difficulty finding an option, we come to a jersey that had three names pushing hard to occupy. David Denton announced himself to the rugby world this Six Nations while Ben Morgan has been a real coup for England since choosing white over red before the 2012 championship. However, one man who continuously goes above and beyond what is expected of him is Parisse. His statistics in each game this year were excellent as he carried, tackled, took line-outs and won turnovers for his fifth-placed side.

7 Chris Robshaw (England) - It was hard to leave out Ross Rennie, who was great for Scotland during the opening rounds, while Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric were also good when on the field. Robshaw though gets in for his work rate and how he has led a new-look team. Thierry Dusautoir was also as robust as ever in jersey six (openside).

6 Dan Lydiate (Wales) - The masses have spoken. Lydiate was voted by our readers as the top player in the Six Nations. Case closed. Mention for Tom Croft after that effort in Paris.

5 Ian Evans (Wales) - Evans was the surprise package for the Grand Slam champions as he stepped up well in place of Luke Charteris. The Osprey played every minute of the Six Nations and put in enough hard yards to see off Geoff Parling and Yohann Maestri.

4 Richie Gray (Scotland) - Superb. Gray was Andy Robinson's best player. Lions starter.

3 Adam Jones (Wales) - We had a call for Nicolas Mas and were also torn over whether Dan Cole had done enough to oust a certain Welshman. But Jones is in and looks back in top physical condition, joining Gethin Jenkins and Ryan Jones in having won three Slams.

2 Rory Best (Ireland) - Two tries for Ireland's most-capped hooker, who enjoyed a solid season that saw him become captain after injuries to Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - What a workhorse Jenkins is. He was injured for the first game but upon his return showed just how much he offers. Toulon have signed something special as his efforts have proved he is now the number one number one in Europe.

8 Welsh
2 English
2 Irish
1 French
1 Italian
1 Scottish

Thoughts? I would have Dan Cole at 3 and Jamie Roberts at 12 but other than that its pretty good.

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Comfort Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

Sgt Pooly, absolutely, opinions differ, and agreed with the 'watch more rugby' comment, never cool.

I like Tuilagi, I dont think he was at his best this 6ns after coming back from injury. He can be a lot more destructive. JD2 was the complete centre this 6ns, there was none better than him (imo, of course).

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:46 pm

Agree on both points there comfort. JD definitely had a stronger 6N & Tuilagi wasn't at his best.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:06 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Fly,

You are contradicting yourself there.

Power is an aspect of rugby. Tuilagi has more power.
Being physical is an aspect of rugby. Tuilagi is more physical.
Tackling destructively is an aspect of rugby. Tuilgi is a more destructive tackler.
The ability to get back on your feet and steal the ball is another thing Tuilgi is very strong at.

Thats four aspects I feel he excels at where JD2 doesnt.

You may well be right in saying hes not the better player, but its wrong to say weaker in every aspect. Frankly silly to be honest.
Noone has claimed that " being more physical" is the only apsect that counts, but it is an aspect.

This isnt to take away from JD2 or rubbish him, just to point out that when peopel make OTT sweeping statements and insult posters its inevitable they will get a repsonse.

How am I contracdicting myself? Of course power is a vital part of the game I never said it isnt. Just becuase Man attempts to go for the headlining big hits doesnt mean he is the more destructive tackler, when I have seen Jon go for the big hit it is quite clear who is technically better.

I was replying to sgt pooly comments on JD aspects ............. if you want I can cut and paste his comments to highlight

He stated that something along the lines that Man was "much better" than Jon and also that "are you telling me that Jon is a more physical player"

For me I have seen both players live both at club and international level

Both same height and Manu a stone heavier at 17st 6lbs, now you would have thought on a face to face encounter that would have made all the difference.... It has never happened in the cup games Davies faced him full on, negated his menace, smothered him and nobody could say any difference, and at international level there has only been one player who shaded it

Davies doesn't play the "physical hits" game, but if you watch this 6Ns then you would have witnessed two massive clatters which provokes the thought why doesn't he put those in more often. The answer to that is Davies has been brought spoonfed on the Nigel Davies (very classy centre in his day) style of coaching, and learnt off Regan King philosophy that you don't have to be a killer driller centre to be destructive midfield operator

Lets be honest Davies isn't a Ashton that Manu could have battered and he knew it when facing him directly over the last two seasons. The facts are in the 80mins during each game.

So I will counter that if Jon wanted to play the destructive game at 6ft 1in and 16 1/2 st he could be as reknowned for it as Manu, he doesnt play that way for club or country. I would go as far to say that he is a more technical adapt destructive tackler when he chooses to put the big hits in.

I will reiterate to Sgt Pooly
What aspect of the midfield game is Manu better than Jon

Big hits..........
Passing.........
Tackling..........
Defence...........
Attack............
Positional sense........
Those first 10 yards........
Quantity of tries scored..........
Quantity of tries made..........
Quantity of tries saves...........
Awareness............ of his 10, his fellow centre, his back 3

I am trying to be objective here.......... I cannae see where Manu is better this season.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

I think George North had a good championship but not a great one - a wonderful first game vs Ireland, but pretty quiet afterwards. He'd be my definite Lions winger, but in this championship alone, I think Cuthbert and Bowe were better.

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

You can just keep making things up if you like?

Do you think JD is more physical in the contact than Tuilagi?
Is JD more adept at running hard and straight?
Has JD the greater ability to bounce off tackles?

If your answer to these questions in all instances is yes, I do not think we should carry on this debate as we obviously have very different opinions/views.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:You can just keep making things up if you like?

Do you think JD is more physical in the contact than Tuilagi?
Very similar i feel.
Is JD more adept at running hard and straight?
No, Tuilagi is better at this.
Has JD the greater ability to bounce off tackles?
Again, not much difference between the two.

If your answer to these questions in all instances is yes, I do not think we should carry on this debate as we obviously have very different opinions/views.

3 questions for you now :

Do you feel that Tuilagi is a better passer than JD2
Do you feel that Tuilagi has a better awareness than JD2
Do you feel that Tuilagi runs better supporting lines than JD2

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:34 pm

Sorry Eire, you've jumped in mid debate.

Flyhalf stated that JD was better in EVERY aspect of the game....he isn't.

NOT MUCH IN IT
WHO KNOWS
NO but......JD is older and this is generally something that comes with time and JD plays in a settled unit for Wales.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

Ok, i would certainly not say that JD2 is better than Tuilagi in all areas but i do believe that he is currently a better player. Tuilagi is showing all the signs of being a top class centre though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Kearney & Foden are both ahead of Halfpenny at FB although Halfpenny would be a good call to cover the back 3. My Lions choices would be:

Foden/Kearney
Bowe/North/Halfpenny

Tuilagi(covering wing)/Roberts/JD/Barritt or Earls

If you are talking in a Lions touring party contest then yes I agree with you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:43 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

I am trying to be objective here.........

Really? Honestly?

must try harder....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:52 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Sorry Eire, you've jumped in mid debate.

Flyhalf stated that JD was better in EVERY aspect of the game....he isn't.

NOT MUCH IN IT
WHO KNOWS
NO but......JD is older and this is generally something that comes with time and JD plays in a settled unit for Wales.

Firstly I am not making anything up if you dont want to reply to my questions then dont, secondly your replies above shows your stance

Tuilagi is nothing like the passer Davies is!!!,
Awareness you are saying who knows!!.... well if you watch the rugby you would realise that Davies is so aware of the defensive and offensive lines thats something he is getting so reknowned for, agewise there is only two yrs in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZKtrdD69go&feature=related

If you want to see an aware centre who can make and score tries (he swept past FIVE players for his second one), bounce off tackles, and be defensively sound then watch it.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Really? Honestly?

must try harder....

Bit more meat on the bone please
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

I think we're done Flyhalf tbh.......you seem the type that is never wrong even when proven to be.

I stand by my opinion that Tuilagi is a better player than JD and will go on to become world class.

Have a good night fella thumbsup

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

I may be late to this discussion but i cant see that Tuilagi is better than JD2 right now. JD2 was, in my opinion, the best centre of the the tournement by a long way.
That does not mean that Tuilagi is bad, just that he is not quite there yet but has the makings of being a very top quality centre.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I think we're done Flyhalf tbh.......you seem the type that is never wrong even when proven to be.

I stand by my opinion that Tuilagi is a better player than JD and will go on to become world class.

Have a good night fella thumbsup

Its opinions we have........... not right or wrong!, I think (might be wrong mind) that most posters here if put to a poll on who is the better player would say Jon not Manu. Does that make you or I right, well its neither as its only opinion

Well at 21 Man could well go on to surpass all his bros even Allessandro (spelling forgive me), and he has all the potential to become world class. He also seems to be a nice and honest guy when interviewed.

To end
Whenever possible I will always provide facts to back up my opinion (as a Scottish Economist I have to.... groan), and always hold my hand up if proven otherwise.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:11 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Really? Honestly?

must try harder....

Here are the Stats, Tuilagi played 3 games JD2 played 5

JD2

Tries - 2
Assists - 1
Run (M) - 236m
Clean Breaks - 3
Players Beaten - 4
Off Loads - 2
Tackles/Missed - 33/3
Penalties Conceded - 1

Tuilagi

Tries - 1
Assists - 0
Metres Run - 143m
Clean Breaks - 1
Players Beaten - 7
Off Loads - 3
Tackles/Missed - 14/1
Penalties Conceded - 1

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Not really much in that looking at the stats to be honest, but I tend to find stats misleading on most occasions.

Two very very good young players, who have massive futures ahead of them. JD2 comes out of this 6 Nations with the honours, Manu needs to take that on board and ensure that he raises his game again next time around.

Am very, very excited about the Lions tour next year now.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

Fair enough

Interesting.....More offloads & defenders beaten and less games in a new combination for Tuilagi.

I must admit though I'm not a great fan of stats as they don't really tell the whole picture.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

No it was only an attribute to your discussion. JD2 is a few years Tuilagi's senior, he was similar to Tuilagi at the same age, a talented bullock of a centre, but he has matured into the type of player that can do a lot more.

A year in a decent center partnership with Roberts has put him in a better position than Tuilagi.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

So there we go. Tuilagi beat more players and missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch ( the one he did get was a bad call too)

Thats two aspects he was better in by your stats.

FF can you honestly not just put your hand up and say it is possible that Tuilagi may be better at some things than JD2 is? Really do you truely honestly believe he is the stronger player in every aspect of the game?
Nothing clouding your judgement at all?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So there we go. Tuilagi beat more players and missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch ( the one he did get was a bad call too)

FF can you honestly not just put your hand up and say it is possible that Tuilagi may be better at some things than JD2 is? Really do you truely honestly believe he is the stronger player in every aspect of the game?

Thing is the one thing that these quite basic stats do not show is how that player appears on the pitch, the effect he has, his game reading etc etc etc, and in all those aspects JD2 looks the superior, more accomplished player more often.

Not say Tuilagi can't become a better player but I would say I would pick JD2 ahead of Tuilagi myself at the moment. If I were an England Coach i would put Tuilagi on the wing and get a clever center in to that midfield where england re seriously lacking any creativity.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So there we go. Tuilagi beat more players and missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch ( the one he did get was a bad call too)

Well lets see I support Musselburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, and the Lions.

This term I thought Scotland were rubbish, England played superb at times. I thought Wales should have lost against Ireland and were fortunate against England apart from that they deserved to be champions

Thats who I am........... So no clouded judgement here

Stats are my business unfortunately I know how they can be constructed to highlight any strength or weakness. If you reduced 3/5ths of Davies stats then it still reveals what a difference the player is overall. Stats of course can be manipulated re: the UTube video of Ire v Wal showes Davies beating 5 players to score the try I watched him beat players on three other occasions during that match.

Ok I believe that Manu has a better handoff, and always looks to make the agressive contact, loves the direct approach hence he will always have stats that shows him beating players more and at 21 he has massive potential and is still learning.

Apart from that............ I am struggling to find anything that under a lie detector I believe he is (CURRENTLY) better at
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

worst team

masi, ashton, de luca,darcy, mc lean, burton, cussiter, heaslip, ,strokosch,geldenhuys,donners,cross,ongaro,jacobsen

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:53 pm

"missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch"

JD2 made a lot more tackles per game, though, and that's not because Wales never had the ball. He won us a number of important turnovers.

The second statement is nonsense, unless I'm going mad - 1 penalty in 3 games is more penalties per minute than 1 penalty in 5 games! Can't comment on whether it was right or not.

Tries/assists - JD2 better 3/5 compared with 1/3.

Defenders beaten is very a subjective call!

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

BlueNote wrote:"missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch"

JD2 made a lot more tackles per game, though, and that's not because Wales never had the ball. He won us a number of important turnovers.

The second statement is nonsense, unless I'm going mad - 1 penalty in 3 games is more penalties per minute than 1 penalty in 5 games! Can't comment on whether it was right or not.

For the umpteenbillionth time the debate (sparked by a stupid comment by one person who now wont back down on it) isnt was JD2 a more effective player, or is he a better player. Its is he better in every facet of the game.

Please keep up.

Actually please leave it as this is getting ridiculous

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:32 pm

BlueNote wrote:"missed a lower percentage of his tackles. And conceded less penalties per minute on the pitch"

For the umpteenbillionth time the debate (sparked by a stupid comment by one person who now wont back down on it) isnt was JD2 a more effective player, or is he a better player. Its is he better in every facet of the game.

Please keep up.

Calm down pete...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

Well, there have been contributions on both issues, actually, during the course of the thread. And whichever issue your comments were directed to doesn't alter the fact that they were inaccurate/not a very fair summary of the stats. So no need for the tantrum, really.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:59 pm

You can compare Tuilagi and Davies as much as you want.

Davies is the best choice if Roberts is the other midfielder because as a combination they work well.

Most midfield combinations that have been worldclass had a playmaker and a crashball player.

So if a Lions team were to be selected and roberts was the 12, you would automatically expect Davies to be his partner not only becuase they play together for Wales but becuase as a combo they work better.

The one is a playmaker that uses finesse, skill and his eye for a gap combined with speed to attack, the other is a more physical player, but less finesse.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

Of course, the best 13 of the lot was missing from the 6N - BOD worked particularly well with Roberts in SA on the last Lions tour.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:17 pm

bluenote, mate I am not so sure O'Driscoll is the best anymore.

The guy is 33 years old, he had a long injury layoff.

He has been a geat servant of Irish rugby, but like all players there comes an end to a legacy.

Do you honestly beleive he will still be around next year at the age of 34 and still stake a place in the Lions squad?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:30 pm

biltongbek

I reckon if BOD is fit and playing he will probably tour with the lions next year. He still has the magic which I only get to appreciate every 4 years or 8 years courtesy of the lion from the wizard of oz (not that old chesnut again!!!).

At the moment I agree with some that Tuilagi is a bit of an unpolished diamond... not quite there.... but when he gets refined and a backs coach who can maximise his talents he is going to be one hell of a player, a player whom ENG and the lions can build their side around for the next 10 years.

I reckon he'll test next year... like BOD, Tuilagi has that little bit of magic about him and Gatland or whoever the coach is will not be able to leave him out.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

find out this weekend, he is meant to be on the bench for Leinster vs Ospreys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

FA, I agree with you in regards to Tuilagi, he will most definitely improve.

O'Driscoll played in the era of some great 13's, as much as people in the NH rate him as one of the best, do I rate Jaque fourie as the best.

However perceptions differ, Fourie in my opinion never really gets the credit he deserves and perhaps I am not giving O'Driscoll the credit he deserves, but be it as it may, I can't think of many rugby players at the age of 34 that aren't living on their reputation more than their actual form.

If I were to coach the Lions for 2013, I would have already marked Davies and Tuilagi as my 13's, and hope to god they didn't lose form or get injured before then.

Davies to me was a stand out player in the RWC when I was hearing criticism from a number of welsh fans during that time.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Biltong, with BOD, there are two questions: will his body hold out, and will he have the hunger. I don't know about the first, but I would guess the box will be ticked for the second. 34 isn't that old, if you still have the hunger and appetite for work.

I say that as a sedentary 43-year-old!

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

We all know that Leinster and Ireland have had O'Driscoll wrapped in cotton wool for a large part of his career. He is fitter than most players of his renown, caps and abilities for a 33 year old.

Lets see what he looks like on the field now that he is recovered.

THe other thing that may dissuade him away from touring again with the Lions would be his political ambitions. Apparently i hear his future is to be at The Houses of the Oireachtas rather than those of the IRFU.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:50 pm

Look when you talk tight five forwards I will agree with you, but in the backline the first thing that goes is pace, the next reactions, now experience can help with anticipating the next move of the opposition, but only up to a point.

I will reserve my judgement, but my honest opinion is there is a time to go.

The biggest mistake who ever the coach of the Lions may be next year can make, is to take a player to Australia of all places that has an interchangeable back line with more pace than "the roadrunner" and skills to burn, that doesn't have the necessary pace and form to counter.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

biltongbek wrote:Look when you talk tight five forwards I will agree with you, but in the backline the first thing that goes is pace, the next reactions, now experience can help with anticipating the next move of the opposition, but only up to a point.

I will reserve my judgement, but my honest opinion is there is a time to go.

The biggest mistake who ever the coach of the Lions may be next year can make, is to take a player to Australia of all places that has an interchangeable back line with more pace than "the roadrunner" and skills to burn, that doesn't have the necessary pace and form to counter.

Aye its a fair point, playing in Australia is a young mans game, the hard pitches are a killer for injuries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

biltongbek

My only criticism of Fourie is that he never carried the lions in the way a world class player tends to do in struggling teams... I always thought a player of his quality should have done more.
Its difficult being a 13 I do admit in a struggling team as he can't go searching for the ball if he is to make all those breaks etc... bit of a double edged sword really.

The reason I would personally have BOD over Fourie (albeit touch and go) is that he time and time again dragged IRE solely to victories/respectable performances. Its far easier when you have world class players to the left and right to you.

So disappointed Fourie decided to go to Japan though...with him I reckon we could have had a real chance of mounting a serious S15 challenge...but without him its going to be that much harder.

The green must have been tempting (you can hardly blame him though).

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

Well there you just made my case for me, there is always a reason why Jaque fourie isn't rated, but as I said it is perception.

anyhow, apparently his contract was for something like R7million a year, so it is understandable, just a shame he did it now because he is still very young.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm

I guess we're just fortunate to see players such as Smith, BOD, Fourie all come around at the same time.

A bit like with the blind side flanker glut of players we've had over the last 10 years... Burger, Kaino, Collins, Hill, Ferris, Dusautoir were/are all great players, chosing one is like damning the others... all perception.

I hope Meyer has him in his plans anyhow... De Jongh is unfortunately not in the same league.... I can't help but seeing a bit of the Earl Rose disease in him... i.e. too much of a show boater yet often fails to bring it to the table.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Yeah, I have an issu with Gio aplon as well. Both Du Jongh and Aplon and even Bjorn basson to a certain extent are very talented rugby players, but in an age where the average back line player weighs nearer to 100Kg's there is little place for those under 80KG.

I would love it if Meyer can show he has the cahonies to pick this backline.

Hougaard
Lambie
Mvovo with habana there for a little while longer to show him the ropes.
Frans Steyn
JP Pietersen
Killian/ van rensburg
Jaco Taute

This is a very young back line, most likely an average age of 22 or so, but hell give them 4 years to build to the next world cup and you will see a springbok back line you have never seen before.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

I rate Basson very highly actually but as much as your team looks good... its unlikely that Killian or Van Rensburg will get a bok jersey... too many just as good/near as good ACI fellas to warrant their inclusion (I say with a sigh).

PS - On Aplon... don't knock our little maestro!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

Yeah, for a moment I disregarded the politics. Doh

Well I am off to bed, have a good one. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm

Please keep up.

If you are talking about me I would suggest you apologise now before it gets too far...........
This was the chat before I got online, the poster was already accused of WUMMING by a number of posters .... see the following

Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby
by Sgt_Pooly on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 pm

.I can't understand how Cuthbert & Evans sneaked into a team of the 6N above players like Bowe, Pape & Maestri?!?!

Tuilagi/JD is a tough call at 13 but JD just shades it despite being the poorer player he's been steady for the duration whilst Tuilagi up and down (great against France, poor against Ireland)

Good to see Jenkins back to form, he nailed down the LH spot, Cole/Jones another close one.

Never thought I'd see the Welsh Joe Worsley (Lydiate) in the team of the 6N but he's tackled well if little else. I have a feeling if JD hadn't have wet his pants every time Lydiate made a routine tackle we might have seen Ferris in that 6 spot but the properganda worked!.
Sgt_Pooly

. Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby
by HERSH on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

.JD the poorer player?

I disagree with that I'd say that JD has been Wales best player..
HERSH

by doctornickolas on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm

.Sgt_Pooly wrote:
I can't understand how Cuthbert & Evans sneaked into a team of the 6N above players like Bowe, Pape & Maestri?!?!

Tuilagi/JD is a tough call at 13 but JD just shades it despite being the poorer player he's been steady for the duration whilst Tuilagi up and down (great against France, poor against Ireland)

Good to see Jenkins back to form, he nailed down the LH spot, Cole/Jones another close one.

Never thought I'd see the Welsh Joe Worsley (Lydiate) in the team of the 6N but he's tackled well if little else. I have a feeling if JD hadn't have wet his pants every time Lydiate made a routine tackle we might have seen Ferris in that 6 spot but the properganda worked!

I am genuinely confused with your wumming.

"JD just shades it despite being the poorer player" ??? In what department is Tuilagi better than JD?? Tuilagi is your ultimate crash ball centre because he has nothing else at all to offer unlike JD2 who has been at the centre of most of the Welsh back play.

Lydiate made countless tackles but does so much more, in the lineout, in the ruck and is absolutely everywhere on the pitch doing what all great 6's do. .
doctornickolas

by Sgt_Pooly on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

.Having an opinion isn't wumming.

Tuilagi is a far superior player than JD although JD had a better 6N agreed.

Lydiate is a tackle machine but offers little else around the park imo, he's like a Joe Worsley clone which is not a bad thing..
Sgt_Pooly

by doctornickolas on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

.Well, your wumming because you have picked out 4 Welsh players to criticize when all absolutely deserve a place.

You also failed to answer why you think a one trick pony like Tuilagi is better than a player who is quicker, can pass, can kick, has great feet and creates so much for his back 3. .
doctornickolas

by maestegmafia on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

.Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Having an opinion isn't wumming.

Tuilagi is a far superior player than JD although JD had a better 6N agreed.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

How many assists did tuilagi make? How many tackles resulted in turnovers? I don't remember Tuilagi passing to any of the England back three either...!

Not many mate. Jon Davies is a superb outside centre, pace guile, great kicking game, magnificent defence. He was a huge part of Wales winning this Grandslam.

This is a good selection, not sure why Robshaw was picked above favaro, Rennie or Bonnaire, let alone players who only played a few games but were very very good like Warburton and Ruperic.

I rated Parlings contribution to england. He was better than Ian Evans in my opinion and would be a good pick at lock.

maestegmafia

by Sgt_Pooly on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 pm

.Well seems as the majority of the team was made up of Welsh players it was pretty likely if anybody has a differing opinion it'll be against a Welsh player.

Only players that shouldn't be there for me are Cuthbert & Evans swapped with Bowe + one of Pape/Maestri.

Tuilagi is freak of nature, a lot like North. He's certainly not "one trick" but that trick he does have that you're insinuating is devastating. JD is a good player but just doesn't excel in any facet of his game. He'll go on to be a solid Int whilst Tuilagi will go on to become one of the best OC's in world rugby..Sgt_Pooly

NOW I DIDNT COME INTO THIS DISCUSSION AT THIS POINT

So perhaps an apology is due now from you
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm

I'm not involved in your dispute FHF, however you have brought to my attention sgt_pooly's ridiculous and incorrect comments on Jonathan Davies and Alex Cuthbert. What was I saying? Oh yeah, ridiculous!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

biltongbek,

Dusautoir presumably misses out because he had by his standards a very quiet tournament. I would have the 9 fingered green shirted one in place of Robshaw in the back row and Priestland for Farrell. Indeed, it's hard to make a case for any Englishman as the standout player of the whole tournament in his position: amazing for a side who came second deservedly and within a TMO's call of a shot at goal for a draw against clearly the best side of all.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

What is all that about ^^^^

All responses from Pete are you saying JD is superior in every aspect.

I thought this was finished??

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I'm not involved in your dispute FHF, however you have brought to my attention sgt_pooly's ridiculous and incorrect comments on Jonathan Davies and Alex Cuthbert. What was I saying? Oh yeah, ridiculous!

Opinions......JD is a decent centre. Cuthbert a promising winger but certainly not deserving to be in a 6N team over Bowe.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:09 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:I'm not involved in your dispute FHF, however you have brought to my attention sgt_pooly's ridiculous and incorrect comments on Jonathan Davies and Alex Cuthbert. What was I saying? Oh yeah, ridiculous!

Opinions......JD is a decent centre. Cuthbert a promising winger but certainly not deserving to be in a 6N team over Bowe.

Why would you pick bowe over cuthbert?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:18 am

Tries?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next