The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

+37
dublin_dave
Ozzy3213
mr_stonelea
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Comfort
asoreleftshoulder
flyhalffactory
BlueNote
ChequeredJersey
formerly known as Sam
RuggerRadge2611
wickedwasp
killer938
BigTrevsbigmac
nathan
Mad for Chelsea
LeinsterFan4life
dummy_half
gleesonisgod
bedfordwelsh
rhino-dragon
EnglishReign
maestegmafia
21st Century Schizoid Man
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Sgt_Pooly
Liam
slartibartfast
alive555
TycroesOsprey
Shifty
HERSH
thebluesmancometh
doctornickolas
eirebilly
Biltong
Artful_Dodger
41 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby Empty Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Mar 19 2012, 17:50

Planet Rugby have put forward their team of the Six Nations.

15 Rob Kearney (Ireland) - Strong efforts from Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg and Ben Foden were all outdone by Kearney, who was solid under the high ball and also threw in fine running from the back to prove he has returned to his best form. That defeat to England offered few chances to show what he is capable of but we had already seen enough.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Wales) - It was tough to leave out the championship's top try-scorer, Tommy Bowe, but how could we overlook Cuthbert? Only taking up the game at sixteen years of age and made his RaboDirect PRO12 debut for Cardiff Blues back in September 2011, Cuthbert has taken to Test rugby like a duck to water and deserved Saturday's try.

13 Jonathan Davies (Wales) - The 23-year-old is set for a long future in the Welsh jersey and will soon push hard for a British and Irish Lions starting spot. He scored two tries against Ireland in round one and his carrying ability was consistently backed up by solid defence, highlighted by his winning of a relieving penalty on his own line against France.

12 Wesley Fofana (France) - Why the stand-out inside centre was uprooted from number twelve and shifted to wing for the final weekend had us all scratching our heads. But like Kearney, his gold star was earned earlier on as he scored four in four games and was a classy runner for les Bleus. A mention for bustling duo Brad Barritt and Jamie Roberts.

11 George North (Wales) - His bounce-off of Ireland's Fergus McFadden will be a lasting memory of Six Nations 2012. He and Cuthbert were workhorses coming off their wings.

10 Owen Farrell (England) - Started out at centre but injury to early-championship try-scorer Charlie Hodgson meant Farrell was thrust into the ten shirt. That is where his future lies with England as he demonstrated poise and solidity throughout. He pips Rhys Priestland.

9 Mike Phillips (Wales) - Our toughest selection due to so few scrum-halves putting their hand up. While he sometimes attempts to take on the opposition all by himself, Phillips is one of only a small percentage of nines capable of mixing it physically with back-rows. Solid.

8 Sergio Parisse (Italy) - From difficulty finding an option, we come to a jersey that had three names pushing hard to occupy. David Denton announced himself to the rugby world this Six Nations while Ben Morgan has been a real coup for England since choosing white over red before the 2012 championship. However, one man who continuously goes above and beyond what is expected of him is Parisse. His statistics in each game this year were excellent as he carried, tackled, took line-outs and won turnovers for his fifth-placed side.

7 Chris Robshaw (England) - It was hard to leave out Ross Rennie, who was great for Scotland during the opening rounds, while Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric were also good when on the field. Robshaw though gets in for his work rate and how he has led a new-look team. Thierry Dusautoir was also as robust as ever in jersey six (openside).

6 Dan Lydiate (Wales) - The masses have spoken. Lydiate was voted by our readers as the top player in the Six Nations. Case closed. Mention for Tom Croft after that effort in Paris.

5 Ian Evans (Wales) - Evans was the surprise package for the Grand Slam champions as he stepped up well in place of Luke Charteris. The Osprey played every minute of the Six Nations and put in enough hard yards to see off Geoff Parling and Yohann Maestri.

4 Richie Gray (Scotland) - Superb. Gray was Andy Robinson's best player. Lions starter.

3 Adam Jones (Wales) - We had a call for Nicolas Mas and were also torn over whether Dan Cole had done enough to oust a certain Welshman. But Jones is in and looks back in top physical condition, joining Gethin Jenkins and Ryan Jones in having won three Slams.

2 Rory Best (Ireland) - Two tries for Ireland's most-capped hooker, who enjoyed a solid season that saw him become captain after injuries to Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - What a workhorse Jenkins is. He was injured for the first game but upon his return showed just how much he offers. Toulon have signed something special as his efforts have proved he is now the number one number one in Europe.

8 Welsh
2 English
2 Irish
1 French
1 Italian
1 Scottish

Thoughts? I would have Dan Cole at 3 and Jamie Roberts at 12 but other than that its pretty good.

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:13; edited 2 times in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby Empty Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 19 2012, 17:57

dussitoir?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby Empty Re: Team of the Six Nations - Planet Rugby

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Mar 19 2012, 17:59

12 <doh>

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:02

I would have had Dave Denton over Parisse

Last edited by eirebilly on Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:04; edited 1 time in total
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:03

Let me try again by spelling his name correctly.

Thierry Dusautoir?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:05

I think they have this pretty much spot on really.

Wales went through 3, 7's and 4 Hookers so no one played enough to grab the jerseys from a Welsh point of view.

Glad that Jon Davies is selected above Roberts. He has been head and shoulders the best 13 in this championship, scoring tries and creating them.

Personally I would have had Halfpenny over Kearney. He has played very well, scoring tries, saving certain tries, kicking lots of points and played at 10 when Priestland was off the field. Kearney has played well and shone if what you want your fullback to do is kick it up in the air and catch it. If you want a bit more from a 15 then it's Halfpenny for me. These 2 would be in my Lions squad though as the fullbacks. Hogg or Foden not doing nearly enough to displace them.

Last edited by doctornickolas on Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:11; edited 1 time in total

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:08

eirebilly wrote:I would have had Dave Denton over Parisse

What happened to Thierry?

You hiding him behind you edit? laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:08

Yes Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:10

I think that is slightly harsh on Cole, I think he's been excellent and for me is Englands most important player.

How Robshaw got there over Rennie I don't know, Robshaw is an average 6 and dare I say it clubman.

Can't really argue with the rest.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:17

thebluesmancometh wrote:Robshaw is an average 6 and dare I say it clubman.

A bit like Priestland at No10 then.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:19

I like the team but I'd have Halfpenny at 15, and Denton at 8. I'd also put Cuthbert at 11, and put Tommy Bowe at 14.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:20

ye a little HERSH. Preistland really needs to up his game if he is to keep his spot, Robshaw in my view has already lost his back to Wood.

I don't think Preistland is the best 10 in Wales, but I think he's the best 10 option for Wales.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:21

AlynDavies OK
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:23

I just don't think 1/2p can be there Alyn with his high ball weakness every team exploited.

Theres definately a case for Denton, and Bowe OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:24

thebluesmancometh wrote:Preistland really needs to up his game if he is to keep his spot

That's an understatement, the guy looked very average at times plus he lost the plot with his goal kicking!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:35

OK. But why does he need to kcik at goal with 1/2p on the pitch?

Similarly I think Trin Duc is an excellent player, and Beauxis an excellent kicker, which is the better player though?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:41

Because 1/2p isn't a great goal kicker, one swallow doesn't make a summer. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:50

1/2p isn't a great kicker at goal? I think you need to watch a little more rugby mate, he is a metronome from 60 metres, for both Wales and the Blues he's been near a 90% er this season!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:51

HERSH wrote:Because 1/2p isn't a great goal kicker, one swallow doesn't make a summer. Very Happy

Rolling Eyes

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:55

His very much a confidence kicker three or four misses and he'll have a problem. plus most of them are in front of the posts.

I believe Wales had someone else who used to be able to do that until he quit rugby to concentrate on his tan.

Andy Goode is a great kicker.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:56

Good to have you back HERSH Very Happy

Congrats for the win Saturday OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 19 2012, 18:58

1/2p only ever kicked from 50 metres when Jones was in the team, now he kicks from everywhere, and hasn't missed 2 in a game, infact hasn't he missed 3 in the championship?

I think you have him confused with Parks, or patterson who could be ropy more than 15 metres out from the posts.

He is hardly a confidence kicker, he missed one V Ireland then pinged the 40m winner. He is a total metronome.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:01

HERSH wrote:His very much a confidence kicker three or four misses and he'll have a problem. plus most of them are in front of the posts.

I believe Wales had someone else who used to be able to do that until he quit rugby to concentrate on his tan.

Andy Goode is a great kicker.

Your very wrong on this about Halfpenny he has always been consistent in the U20 he was near perfect with his placekicking and it was only having Blair and Parks in the Blues side that stopped him kicking for them.

Priestland has always been flaky as a place kicker as Im sure scarlets fans will attest.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:12

or patterson ? That's a joke

He slotted 41/41 in 2007-8 !

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:15

thebluesmancometh wrote:OK. But why does he need to kcik at goal with 1/2p on the pitch?

Similarly I think Trin Duc is an excellent player, and Beauxis an excellent kicker, which is the better player though?

If memory serves me right, £0.00.5p had a knock before the priestland kick and was being seen to by a Physio.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:15

alive555 wrote:or patterson ? That's a joke

He slotted 41/41 in 2007-8 !

Yeah, i had to re-read that as well. Patterson was the best kicker in the world for a while there. Scotland missed him this year.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:17

1/2p for me, not by a country mile and i'm glad to see Kearney back to his best after a spell out of form and injured I believe (Bit like Byrne). 1/2p gets it for his defence, attacking, under the high ball and kicking under the highest pressures. The Irish kick was a huge kick simply because of what happened in the Semi's and the fact that it was to win the game. The kick he kicked against France from 52m was outstanding, cleared the posts by a good few metres too.

I would also have gone for Rennie at 7. Robshaw has been solid as you would expect a 6.5 to be at 7. But Rennie was superb throughout the tournament and definitely gets my vote.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:28

I can't understand how Cuthbert & Evans sneaked into a team of the 6N above players like Bowe, Pape & Maestri?!?!

Tuilagi/JD is a tough call at 13 but JD just shades it despite being the poorer player he's been steady for the duration whilst Tuilagi up and down (great against France, poor against Ireland)

Good to see Jenkins back to form, he nailed down the LH spot, Cole/Jones another close one.

Never thought I'd see the Welsh Joe Worsley (Lydiate) in the team of the 6N but he's tackled well if little else. I have a feeling if JD hadn't have wet his pants every time Lydiate made a routine tackle we might have seen Ferris in that 6 spot but the properganda worked!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:38

JD the poorer player?

I disagree with that I'd say that JD has been Wales best player.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:41

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I can't understand how Cuthbert & Evans sneaked into a team of the 6N above players like Bowe, Pape & Maestri?!?!

Tuilagi/JD is a tough call at 13 but JD just shades it despite being the poorer player he's been steady for the duration whilst Tuilagi up and down (great against France, poor against Ireland)

Good to see Jenkins back to form, he nailed down the LH spot, Cole/Jones another close one.

Never thought I'd see the Welsh Joe Worsley (Lydiate) in the team of the 6N but he's tackled well if little else. I have a feeling if JD hadn't have wet his pants every time Lydiate made a routine tackle we might have seen Ferris in that 6 spot but the properganda worked!

I am genuinely confused with your wumming.

"JD just shades it despite being the poorer player" ??? In what department is Tuilagi better than JD?? Tuilagi is your ultimate crash ball centre because he has nothing else at all to offer unlike JD2 who has been at the centre of most of the Welsh back play.

Lydiate made countless tackles but does so much more, in the lineout, in the ruck and is absolutely everywhere on the pitch doing what all great 6's do.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:44

Sorry but what exactly did Robshaw do to get in the side other than confuse the commentators in the Scotland game by looking like Tom Croft?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:47

Having an opinion isn't wumming.

Tuilagi is a far superior player than JD although JD had a better 6N agreed.

Lydiate is a tackle machine but offers little else around the park imo, he's like a Joe Worsley clone which is not a bad thing.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:52

Pretty much sums up Scotland under Robinson - a disgrace - R Gray excepted

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 19 2012, 19:55

Well, your wumming because you have picked out 4 Welsh players to criticize when all absolutely deserve a place.

You also failed to answer why you think a one trick pony like Tuilagi is better than a player who is quicker, can pass, can kick, has great feet and creates so much for his back 3.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:00

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Having an opinion isn't wumming.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

How many assists did tuilagi make? How many tackles resulted in turnovers? I don't remember Tuilagi passing to any of the England back three either...!

Not many mate. Jon Davies is a superb outside centre, pace guile, great kicking game, magnificent defence. He was a huge part of Wales winning this Grandslam.

This is a good selection, not sure why Robshaw was picked above favaro, Rennie or Bonnaire, let alone players who only played a few games but were very very good like Warburton and Ruperic.

I rated Parlings contribution to england. He was better than Ian Evans in my opinion and would be a good pick at lock.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:08

Well seems as the majority of the team was made up of Welsh players it was pretty likely if anybody has a differing opinion it'll be against a Welsh player.

Only players that shouldn't be there for me are Cuthbert & Evans swapped with Bowe + one of Pape/Maestri.

Tuilagi is freak of nature, a lot like North. He's certainly not "one trick" but that trick he does have that you're insinuating is devastating. JD is a good player but just doesn't excel in any facet of his game. He'll go on to be a solid Int whilst Tuilagi will go on to become one of the best OC's in world rugby.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:14

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Having an opinion isn't wumming.

Lydiate is a tackle machine but offers little else around the park imo, he's like a Joe Worsley clone which is not a bad thing.

Tuilagi is a very good player but JD2 is a much better player. His lines, footwork and ball skills are better than Tuilagi in my opinion. Lydiate is much more than a tackle machine as well, his work around the field and at breakdowns is superb.

For the record, i dont believe that you are a WUM, you just have a different view OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:14

I agree Parling's a beast, a real handful for the opposition. Didn't play many, though.

To be fair to Manu he was straight back in after injury and only played in the last 3.

Not sure why Robshaw is in, looking forward to Tom Wood coming back.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:18

I think JD2 really come of age in this tournament. Tuilagi's time will come but not just yet.

The one thing i can not agree on and i am shocked no one else has mentioned it but that is the selection of Mike Phillips. I think just about every scrum half who played in this years tournament played better than Mike Phillips. Dickson completely outplayed hm in the Wales v England match. Yachvilli and Parra are a clear class above him. I think even Gori would be a better option.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:19

No one will ever agree on these types of threads, there will always be difference of opinions whether it be just through a certain view point, national pride or even just not wanting to admit that other players are better than your own etc etc.

One thing for sure is that we have seen some class youngsters come to the front this season and long may it continue.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:23

bedfordwelsh wrote:No one will ever agree on these types of threads, there will always be difference of opinions whether it be just through a certain view point, national pride or even just not wanting to admit that other players are better than your own etc etc.

One thing for sure is that we have seen some class youngsters come to the front this season and long may it continue.

+1

The WUM is used far too easily. People will always see things the way they do. Its what makes a forum great, it would be very boring if we all agreed Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:41

Kearney only solid under the high ball?

Also, Ferris has to be there, definitely the best 6.

By the way I'm Dusatoir as a 7 who should also be in the team, Robshaw was probably 4th or 5th best 7.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:45

I think there's a bit of a 'quota' going on with this selection:

Parisse has been good, but Denton and Morgan have also shown well. However, one Italian.was needed...

I think Robshaw's pick is similarly a bit of a case of there being insufficient England players in the selection, considering they came second and only lost one close game to Wales. Better cases could be made for Corbs, Cole, Parling and Croft in their positions than for Robshaw at 7 - Rennie and Warburton were far better,

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:05

maestegmafia wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
How many assists did tuilagi make? How many tackles resulted in turnovers? Jon Davies is a superb outside centre, pace guile, great kicking game, magnificent defence. He was a huge part of Wales winning this Grandslam.

Tuilagi is a more physical player than Jonathan Davies, but Davies is a more rounded player, he looks for the gap, where Tuilagi looks for the defender, Tuilagi has had no offloads that put any player into space, where Davies does that in just about every game. Davies has a kicking game which Tuilagi hasn't shown, Both are solid on defence.

Both are good players, but they play a different game, Davies had Roberts next to him which does the crash ball. If the British and Irish Lions coach is going to select Roberts for the midfield, then Davies is the perfect foil next to him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:32

Well said

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:06

Here is ESPN's team of the tournament 2012.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

Ireland's Rob Kearney may be considered the form fullback by many but Halfpenny's all-round endeavour in Wales' Grand Slam campaign ensures he gets the nod in our line-up. Despite his tries and prolific boot, it is his defensive work in particular stands him out - most notably his effort to deny England's David Strettle a try in the dying embers of the game at Twickenham.

14. Tommy Bowe (Ireland)

Ireland's challenge may have ended badly against England at the weekend, but not even that poor showing could completely overshadow Bowe's return to form. Five tries is an outstanding return and Ireland will need him to retain that scoring touch with the All Blacks looming large in the summer.

13. Jonathan Davies (Wales)

One of the rising stars of Welsh rugby, the 23-year-old Davies set Wales on their way with two tries against Ireland in their opener and was a stand-out performer in an arm-wrestle of a clash in Cardiff as his side wrapped up their 11th Grand Slam. A key figure in the much-respected Wales back division, don't be surprised if he is also plays a central role for the Lions in 2013.

12. Wesley Fofana (France)

The Clermont Auvergne centre announced himself on the international stage with a try on debut against Italy and repeated the feat against Scotland, Ireland and England to write his name into the record books. Switched to the wing for his side's last outing in Cardiff, he could not make it a clean sweep but is an exciting talent and a welcome addition to the Six Nations stage.

11. George North (Wales)

The giant Welsh winger may have only crossed the whitewash once but his impact stretched far beyond those five points. But for a couple of desperate tackles he could easily have registered at least a couple more while rampaging his way through the Championship with an enviable blend of power and pace.

10. Owen Farrell (England)

Farrell may have only made three appearances in the England No.10 shirt - having switched from the midfield following an injury to Charlie Hodgson - but he has still shown enough class and composure to edge out his rivals. He oozes confidence with ball in hand, is nerve-less and assured with the boot and shows a general maturity way beyond his 20-years. The England team - and their hopes - are sure to be moulded around him in the years to come.

9. Mike Phillips (Wales)

It may not have been a vintage year for scrum-halves, but Phillips' consistency ensures his place. He may have his critics but he was his usual physical self and ensured plenty of ammo for a formidable Welsh back division.

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)

Jenkins missed the opening round but returned to bolster Wales' title challenge with his usual exemplary work at scrum time and his constantly-amazing stamina and work-rate. A truly world-class player, he has now featured in three Grand Slam-winning sides. A modern great.

2. Rory Best (Ireland)

Best has put his rivals for the No.2 in the shade throughout an eventful Six Nations that has seen him assume the captaincy of his country, become Ireland most-capped hooker - eclipsing the mark of Keith Wood - and notch two tries. The Irish scrum's capitulation against England will be a concern but his throwing is not.

3. Adam Jones (Wales)

An ever-present in Wales' run to the title and the Grand Slam, Jones is one of the rocks that his side's recent dominance has been built upon. Another member of the triple Grand Slam-winners club alongside Jenkins, flanker Ryan Jones and their 1970s predecessors Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams and Gerald Davies.

4. Richie Gray (Scotland)

One of the shining lights in an otherwise hugely disappointing Scotland campaign. At 6ft 10in and with a mop of wild blond hair, it is not easy to miss the lock but it is more often that his endeavour that catches the eye at the lineout or in the loose with his superb try against the Irish in Dublin - his first in Test rugby - a clear reminder that he is a real talent.

5. Ian Evans (Wales)

The Welsh lock appeared in every minute of every game and is yet to taste defeat in the Six Nations. Plagued by injury in recent years and denied a role in Wales' recent Rugby World Cup run, he returned to top form and was a pivotal figure throughout a gruelling campaign.

6. Dan Lydiate (Wales)

Wales coach Warren Gatland recently hailed Lydiate as the 'unsung hero' of his squad and he duly went out an stole the show against France with a typically lung-busting effort punctuated with tackle after tackle. His efforts were rewarded with the Man of the Match award - the second time he has picked up that honour in this year's Championship. He may have missed the opener against Ireland but surely the Player of the Championship?

7. Ross Rennie (Scotland)

Like his compatriots Gray and David Denton, he has been model of consistency and with such core strength you wonder how the Scots have repeatedly mis-fired. He celebrated his first Six Nations start against England with the Man of the Match honour and if the Scots are to drag themselves out of the mire then he will surely be at the heart of the effort.

8. Ben Morgan (England)

Morgan began the year by committing his international future to England - rather than Wales - and wasted little time in cementing his place in their ranks. A bit-part player in the early stages of the contest, he grabbed his opportunites with both hands when they came his way. Arguably England's 'Player of the Championship', the 23-year-old lit up the Six Nations stage with a series of barnstorming runs and power-packed performances.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:17

doctornickolas wrote:I think they have this pretty much spot on really.

Wales went through 3, 7's and 4 Hookers so no one played enough to grab the jerseys from a Welsh point of view.

Glad that Jon Davies is selected above Roberts. He has been head and shoulders the best 13 in this championship, scoring tries and creating them.

Personally I would have had Halfpenny over Kearney. He has played very well, scoring tries, saving certain tries, kicking lots of points and played at 10 when Priestland was off the field. Kearney has played well and shone if what you want your fullback to do is kick it up in the air and catch it. If you want a bit more from a 15 then it's Halfpenny for me. These 2 would be in my Lions squad though as the fullbacks. Hogg or Foden not doing nearly enough to displace them.
u think all kearney can do is catch a ball???? hes second in defenders beaten in the 6 nations with 15 defenders beaten

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:18

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:I think they have this pretty much spot on really.

u think all kearney can do is catch a ball???? hes second in defenders beaten in the 6 nations with 15 defenders beaten

He is also very good at catching his Garryowens..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:20

I'd go something like:

Halfpenny
Cuthbert
Davies
Barritt (Fofanna mixed the good and bad stuff, though is very talented)
Bowe
Farrell
Parra (why he doesn't start every game is beyond me)
Parisse
Rennie
Lydiate
Evans
Gray
Cole (England's most important player IMO)
Best
Jenkins

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:24

Kearney & Foden are both ahead of Halfpenny at FB although Halfpenny would be a good call to cover the back 3. My Lions choices would be:

Foden/Kearney
Bowe/North/Halfpenny

Tuilagi(covering wing)/Roberts/JD/Barritt or Earls

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next