The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales best Hooker?

+17
offload
ScarletSpiderman
youngguns6
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
TycroesOsprey
BlueNote
thebluesmancometh
WelshinEdinburgh
GavinDragon
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
RubyGuby
Shane_Williams
Biltong
slartibartfast
wales606
21 posters

Go down

Who is Wales best Hooker?

Wales best Hooker? Vote_lcap59%Wales best Hooker? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 17 ]
Wales best Hooker? Vote_lcap38%Wales best Hooker? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 11 ]
Wales best Hooker? Vote_lcap3%Wales best Hooker? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 29

Wales best Hooker? Empty Wales best Hooker?

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar - 0:29

Based on their showing in this 6Ns, who is the best?

Personally, I have no clue - but will be interested to see what people think.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales best Hooker? Empty Re: Wales best Hooker?

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar - 0:33

The other point being, how can two of these be second choice for their region?!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar - 0:36

Ken O - seems spikey around the pitch

I think they've rushed Rees back - he looked zonked

Bennet - cant believe he's been around so long.

It's a weak area for Wales at the moment. Let's go with youth

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar - 0:40

Ive been impressed with Bennett, his lineout was a bit shaky (so was Owens and Rees + he had different jumpers to the WC) - But his work in the loose is very good.

Rees was poor on the weekend

Owens had a bit more luck with the lineout, but was less visible in the loose.

Hmmmm...im edging towards Bennett now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 13 Mar - 0:44

We've done just fine with ken o

Ken onto start next week, Rees to come on after 30
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Mar - 6:23

I voted Rees, cause that is what I was told.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Tue 13 Mar - 7:40

Rees is the best player. but in this 6 nations it has to be ken, followed by bennet, and ken should start with bennet on the bench, as slart very accurately said, Rees looked zonked. However I think Gatland has a soft spot for Rees and I can't see him whatsoever dropping him from the 22.

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 12:42

Sarra Elgan thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 13 Mar - 12:49

Hooker & lock are Wales weakest positions, none of the candidates are strong for me. You should find somebody who can actually throw straight and work from that.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 13 Mar - 12:52

I always wondered what happened to Hibbard...he looked excellent but seemed to not quite make it? Where is he lacking?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 13 Mar - 12:53

owens atm, rees doesnt look fit, his throwing suffered as a consequence

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar - 12:53

GeordieFalcon wrote:I always wondered what happened to Hibbard...he looked excellent but seemed to not quite make it? Where is he lacking?

He is unfit
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 13 Mar - 12:54

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hooker & lock are Wales weakest positions, none of the candidates are strong for me. You should find somebody who can actually throw straight and work from that.

Neither is that week - We have 3 good hookers and 5 very good locks.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshinEdinburgh Tue 13 Mar - 12:55

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hooker & lock are Wales weakest positions, none of the candidates are strong for me. You should find somebody who can actually throw straight and work from that.

Hooker certainlay, but lock? not so sure, we currently have a pairing of Ian Evans and Alun Wyn Jones, with Charteris and Bradley Davies to come into the fold, i think it's the best we've been at lock for many a year. Incidently I think Gatland will go with Rees for the experience and he is another game in - Owen's needs to find another region - Blues?

WelshinEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar - 12:58

Pooly

That might be the worst comment Ive seen for a while, with the way the Welsh injuries have been we have had to use 7 different locks in all manner of combinations, and 5 different hookers in the last 12 months alone, I think this has developed a bit of strength in depth but doesn't help the lineout with continuity, look at Matfeild and co, they virtually played together for 4/5 seasons at club and int level before they were world class. When you factor in that 2/3rds of the backrow are very young and inexperienced and Warbs is 2 years into his int career of course the lineout will struggle.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 13 Mar - 12:59

Personally think Evans is nothing more than a thug and AWJ is perhaps the most overated forward in the NH.

A combo of Charteris & Davies would be pretty tasty though.

Alright Blueman Wink

I think you trumpted me with:

"Tuilagi & Hartley were awful on Sunday"

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 13 Mar - 13:05

Current form, and maybe potential, Owens. I thought he showed up well in the loose, too, he certainly carries well.

Bennett is good around the field, but has had major lineout problems too often.

Ian Evans is not just a thug, he's an athlete. Remember his grubber kick for Shane to score vs Sarries, the week before the Vicarage Road nightmare?

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 13 Mar - 13:32

Rees is our best choice but Owens is probably behind him ahead of Benny.

Its a shame, if only Hibbard didnt love the pies so much he would be an excellent hooker.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar - 13:55

Why does Owens have to move?

Rees will only be playing for another season or so, so him and Owens will be rotated at the Scarlets.

I feel sorry for Emyr Phillips at the Scarlets tho. 3rd choice hooker but has played more than the other 2 this season, and is playing very blydi well too! He'll struggle more for game time next season perhaps, but he's a wonderful back up to have.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 13:58

Emyr will get a shot soon enough I am sure.

Interesting to see how the famed Llanelli Flyhalf factory is now producing a line of hulking Hookers rather than wispy willow flyhalfs...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar - 14:08

we've got plenty of fly halfs too Maes!

Stevo, Rhys, Dan Newton, Owen Williams, Jordan Williams and we did have Shingler as well before he upped and left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 13 Mar - 14:12

It's either 'Wales's best hooker' or 'Wales' best hooker.' 'Who is Wales best hooker' doesn't make sense.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Tue 13 Mar - 14:12; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Mar - 14:12

Jordan Williams looks a good man doesnt he...

Remarkably good work these regional academies are doing. Long may they prosper, might have to change my will cut the wife and kids out and donate my life's earnings to the cause too...

My father left a decent sum to the local club he played for. Was rather frowned upon back in the old days. Definitely not so now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 13 Mar - 14:45

Owens needs to be first choice at a region. It's the only way he could improve his lineout and get some consistency. If burns fails to recover (who is the best carrier out of the hookers mentioned) he could move to the dragons. I have a feeling Buckley will move to the blues, he has loads of potential.

Currently I would stick with Owens. Why is Gatland so eger to rush back players. It's a great chance for Owens and the locks to get experience. There's no rush for charteris, Rees etc.. The world cup is years away! Beating the s\h teams is paramount. Yes we'd all love another slam but we know we can beat these teams....

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 13 Mar - 14:54

Personally I think Ken has shown the best of the three during this seasons 6Ns. However if you were to ask who is the best of the three overall I would struggle to decide.

Personally I would start with Ken against France as I believe that he is the form hooker of the three, and that he does have the ability when ball is in hand to be a real devistating runner.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 13 Mar - 14:57

youngguns6 wrote:Owens needs to be first choice at a region. It's the only way he could improve his lineout and get some consistency. If burns fails to recover (who is the best carrier out of the hookers mentioned) he could move to the dragons. I have a feeling Buckley will move to the blues, he has loads of potential.

Ken and Smiler both signed contract extensions at the same time (season before last?) and I think that Ken has longer to run on his than Rees (but I may be wrong). I think that if one of them leaves the Scarlets it will be Matthew Rees, and it will most likely be for a bigger wage packet. Also I am sure I heard somewhere that Ken sees himself as a Scarlets supporter first and formost.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 13 Mar - 15:07

Rees is only just 31 and before his injury was the Welsh captain and a shoe in for hooker. He looked a bit out of sorts and perhaps is back too soon but I still believe he is our best hooker. Owens has done well and at 25 will certainly improve.

An honourable mention for Bennett - he's had a lot of stick, much deserved, but he stepped up at the WC and would get my vote for most improved player. How the hell can he be only 28?? He's been around for ever.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 13 Mar - 15:28

Overall best-Rees

Currently on form-Owens

WC-Bennett

Tough choice, I'd go with Rees overall but if this is to say to decide who starts Saturday, then I'd go Owens.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 13 Mar - 15:32

Pooly

If your getting pinged for going up in the scrum while pushing the opposing scrum back you are not playing well my freind.

Tuilagi took his try well but he failed to bring the back 3 into the game again, a better ball player at 13 and England wouldve been out of sight first half.

I think Evans is too soft, and needs to thug up a little, can't argue with AWJ, he has some lovely attributes, sadly they are not conducive to his position.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Tue 13 Mar - 15:35

youngguns6 wrote:Owens needs to be first choice at a region. It's the only way he could improve his lineout and get some consistency. If burns fails to recover (who is the best carrier out of the hookers mentioned) he could move to the dragons. I have a feeling Buckley will move to the blues, he has loads of potential.

Currently I would stick with Owens. Why is Gatland so eger to rush back players. It's a great chance for Owens and the locks to get experience. There's no rush for charteris, Rees etc.. The world cup is years away! Beating the s\h teams is paramount. Yes we'd all love another slam but we know we can beat these teams....

going of topic slightly but although i agree gatland has been rushing some players back, AW Jones and Rees have looked out of sorts and its clear they need more game time, Charteris was immense when he came on though I wouldn't be surprised if with Wales' lineout troubles and the impact he had when he came on, he starts on saturday

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar - 16:26

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Ken and Smiler both signed contract extensions at the same time (season before last?) and I think that Ken has longer to run on his than Rees (but I may be wrong). I think that if one of them leaves the Scarlets it will be Matthew Rees, and it will most likely be for a bigger wage packet. Also I am sure I heard somewhere that Ken sees himself as a Scarlets supporter first and formost.

I've heard the same SS. Ken is a Carmarthen boy born and bread and loves the Scarlets. Can't see him wanting to move region at such a young age for a hooker to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Tue 13 Mar - 16:39

Iv gone with ken, but only because he's younger, close call

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 13 Mar - 17:00

We have lots of good hookers but none of them can throw straight or get the timing sorted under pressure. Wales improved in the RWC with Bennett and Burns both second choice at their regions. I am a bit of a fan of Hibbard as he is very good in the loose and powerful in the scrums, I suspect fitness is preventing him from being picked as Wales number 1 but would be my choice.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Mar - 17:01

I think we have 5 very good hookers and with Charteris and Ianto and 6 8 and 6 10 respectively our line out will be fine - Lets not forget Lloyd Burns who's injured at the moment thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 13 Mar - 17:41

I've gone with Rees. He's without doubt one of the strongest scrummaging hookers in the world. His ball carrying is effective and he's dynamic in the loose. He has improved his throwing in a heck of a lot too and is probably our best option there as well.

Regarding Hibbardo he was in pretty good knick last year before his injury prior to the world cup where he would have been first choice. If he can get a full pre season then i'm sure he'll be able to work on his fitness.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down