The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday.

+10
Dominic Dicoco
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
BlueNote
maestegmafia
mckay1402
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
bedfordwelsh
redrugbyexile
14 posters

Go down

Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday. Empty Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday.

Post by redrugbyexile Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

Simple really.

1. Lloyd Burns
2. Huw Bennett
3. Ken Owens

For me it is Lloyd Burns, the other two aren't even first choice for their regions. Personally i thought Bennett was dreadful versus the Barbarians, that was enough to swing it for me.

Over to you.

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday. Empty Re: Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday.

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

Simple:

ANYONE BUT BENNETT but we know he will be involved.

Is Hibbard definately out as well?

If he is then for me is has to be Burns because he has been in form and played most of the season so has gametime under his belt.

Owens would be on the bench, as he needs gametime and he NOT Bennett
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday. Empty Re: Who Would You Prefer As The Wales Hooker V England On Saturday.

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Lloyd Burns, same reasons as you
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

It has to be Burns as he's the only one whose had gametime and is on form.

Bennett is like some horrible deranged accident mascerading as a rugby player. While unfortunately Owens hasn't played at all this season, and will probably need a good few months of playing/training to get back up to international standard.

I think the selection (or not) of Bennett could be the difference between loosing or not.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

Do we know the score with Hibbard, is he out or recovering etc etc?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

I think the selection (or not) of Bennett could be the difference between loosing or not.

He can't be that bad, we won Grand slams with him

Does anyone fancy our chances against the English pack ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by redrugbyexile Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Munkian

Watch the Babas game again, apart from missing his man time after time, he was a direct contributor to giving away two tries.

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

I'll take your word for it if I dont have to watch the Baa baas game again Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

I am not a Huw Bennett fan by any stretch of the imagination and if he could actually throw a ball to a lineout jumper he wouldn't be a bad option. Saying he's "like some horrible deranged accident mascerading as a rugby player" is a bit over the top. yes he has cost us games before with his comedy throwing but that is really the only aspect of his game that is poor. I must be suffering sleep deprevation...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

damnit Munkian that makes my point totally null and void Sad
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

It maybe a bit harsh - but I think he deserves some over the top slagging off! And I'm not sure about his tackling or mobility around the park either. Though his poor throwing is enough to get him dropped in any rationale universe.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

I think we will all be unanimous on this debate...

Burns is not only an exciting prospect but has also been recognised in the press statements Gatland has made.

I presume Bennett will start on Saturday with Burns on the Bench, and if Burns plays well he will start the second England match and hopefully many more.

I feel for you Owens, a great talent and a nasty run with injury. Hopefully he will be more than a bench warmer.

I am open to all surprises for sure.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 02 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Do we actually know whether Lloyd Burns can throw in consistently? I remember Gatland being quoted recently as saying it was something he needed to work on.

Bennett isn't a bad player apart from his lineout - unfortunately, that goes pear-shaped so often that for me he is just not viable as an international hooker. It's always been a problem, our lineout, with brief periods where it goes okay (it was good with Garin Jenkins throwing in to Chris Wyatt for a bit).

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

I'll buck the trend here and go for Owens who for me is the most complete hooker in Wales. The fact that he hasn't had much game time should be the exact reason why he should play and not the opposite. Having watched Burns to date I'm not convinced he's international class. As I've said before get a winger or anyone with decent hands to throw the ball in, Bennett is good in the loose and a strong player but he cant throw with or without pressure. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Interesting opinion Ruby

Do you think Owens will be able to rediscover his previous form with so little gametime (which is my main worry)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

redrugbyexile, you should make this a poll.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:redrugbyexile, you should make this a poll.

It would be skewed by all the English fans voting for Bennett Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

Smirnoff - IMO class is permanent and form is temporary, I honestly believe Owens has been destined to be one of Wales's best hookers for a decade only to succumb to injuries. He has the rare atributes of being an intelligent footballer (unlike Rees who I like) who can also hold himself well in the loose and is able to match it physically. I think he is invaluable for now and the future and therefore think he should be part of a strong pack with Geth and Adam either side. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Rees is a very intelligent footballer in my opinion. I think he is certainly up there with the NH hookers.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

I'm happy to disagree with you on that one McKay even though I'm a big fan of Mathew Rees thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

I think Rees is an intelligent footballer who reads the game well and puts himself in good positions - but I agree that Owens is the more complete footballer. I am a very big fan of his and think if it wasn't for injury and Gats addiction to Bennett then he would have been nailed on for a Welsh squad place by now.

but seeing as he's been injured and is young I'm not so sure he can go straight from not playing to high intensity internationals without at least 1 or 2 regional games in between.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

I would probably start with Bennett and try Owens further into the game. I did hope we saw the last of Bennett in a Wales jersey, but Burns seems to be a penalty machine. We are really thin on the ground in this position at the moment and to be honest, I wouldn't complain if Mefin Davies got the call up.

I hope that Owens does get some game time and proves himself fit enough for the World Cup, I just can't take anymore of Bennett's line outs. My God I hope Smiler makes it.

Last edited by Dominic Dicoco on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Smirnoff again I disagree on the 1 or 2 regional games before a Test match. Ideally, yes it might be useful but we don't have that luxury and often I feel that's as much a psychological thing as anything - Yes he might be a bit off the pace but now is the time for him to get 40 minutes under his belt. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

Burns for me with Owens on the bench.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

Not convinced by Burns, he looked off the pace and gave away penalties against the Baa Baas.

Owen, like Henson is way off being match fit, so the bench for him.

Which only leaves Bennett. I suggest Gatland tells him it's his final chance and see how that motivates him.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

Hopefully we will have Rees and Hibbard fit by the WC and will NEVER have to make the decision of which one of these starts.

Burns - 1 cap - not the best thrower, penalty machine when not on form, good carrier

Owens - 0 caps - doesnt get regular gametime, hasnt played for months, looked quality for a while ages ago when he actually got a run of games

Bennett - A load of caps - Hopeless in the lineout, actually quite weak in the scrum, average loose play.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

We should pick the best scrummaging Hooker for this England game. Both teams will be bit rusty so more knock one and therefor scrums. England players are unlikely to kick the ball of the paddock too much so Bennets radar problem hopefully wouldn't have too big of an impact.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:29 pm

Bennett is not our best scrummager and is a penalty,and if weve got a weakness at the lineout (which we will iif bennetts playing) then theyd b fools not to exploit it by kicking into the corners and stealing our throws

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

RubyGuby wrote:Smirnoff - IMO class is permanent and form is temporary, I honestly believe Owens has been destined to be one of Wales's best hookers for a decade only to succumb to injuries. He has the rare atributes of being an intelligent footballer (unlike Rees who I like) who can also hold himself well in the loose and is able to match it physically. I think he is invaluable for now and the future and therefore think he should be part of a strong pack with Geth and Adam either side. thumbsup

Destined to be best hooker for decade, you in wrong job if you can make that decision since the time he was 14 Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

Careful Bedford - I do read your posts on occasion - I can just spot them a mile off though Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

ruby,

Touche Wink

It will be interesting to see what decision OWens makes with regards his future though.

He is still second choice behind Rees and likely to stay that wat while Rees is there.

Mitchell took the choice to move from the O's as he was second behind Adam Jones so maybe Owens will look at it similarily.

Blues need a hooker Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

There's lots of rugby to be played - at the moment I see no problem with both of them at the Scarlets. Rees, Owens and Hibbard for me

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

And a fly half...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Ken Owens is unlucky not to have been involved in the Welsh setup sooner. I remember listening to Warren Gatland being interviewed on the radio (last season - around the Autumn internationals, I think) and someone asked him why he wasn't in the squad. Gatland's response was that he'd missed his jumper twice in the recent Leicester v Scarlets Heineken Cup match.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ken Owens is unlucky not to have been involved in the Welsh setup sooner. I remember listening to Warren Gatland being interviewed on the radio (last season - around the Autumn internationals, I think) and someone asked him why he wasn't in the squad. Gatland's response was that he'd missed his jumper twice in the recent Leicester v Scarlets Heineken Cup match.

he'd missed his jumper twice in the recent Leicester v Scarlets Heineken Cup match!!!!!!!!!

I wish I was the interviewer; I would have said, in his last match Bennett missed his jumper, his trousers, shirt and socks - What are your thoughts on that Mr Gatland? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

Ruby, the impression I get is that Gatland watches some players looking for a reason to say yes and watches others looking for a reason to say no.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

I'm with you Luckless hence we have had or have Bennett, Phillips, Powell, Cooper et al - He certainly has his favourites

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ruby, the impression I get is that Gatland watches some players looking for a reason to say yes and watches others looking for a reason to say no.

Don't we all ? Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by redrugbyexile Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

If Bennet is chucking in on saturday, i for one will be mowing the lawn at 2.30 and getting the potatoes peeled for tea.

redrugbyexile

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

redrugbyexile wrote:If Bennet is chucking in on saturday, i for one will be mowing the lawn at 2.30 and getting the potatoes peeled for tea.

And if, when you are mowing the lawn a rugby ball suddenly appears over your fence then at least you'll know who threw it thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
redrugbyexile wrote:If Bennet is chucking in on saturday, i for one will be mowing the lawn at 2.30 and getting the potatoes peeled for tea.

And if, when you are mowing the lawn a rugby ball suddenly appears over your fence then at least you'll know who threw it thumbsup

laughing

Both very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Classic LMAO!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down