The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

+22
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
Morgannwg
thebandwagonsociety
Smirnoffpriest
Sin é
Gibson
rodders
BlueMuff
disneychilly
chewed_mintie
Mickado
robbo277
hugo124
The Great Aukster
Gunner
Red Right
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Feckless Rogue
Jenifer McLadyboy
Cardiff Dave
brennomac
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract - Page 2 Empty Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by brennomac Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 am

First topic message reminder :

We knew he was coming, but great to get it finally confirmed

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9604.php

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 am

We'll probably try and get an uncapped player from the southern hemisphere. Although we should take a lesson from the French clubs and look in the likes of Georgia and Argentina for potential players.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by geoff998rugby Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am

Argentina players are far less attractive now with the start of the 4N

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:49 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Argentina players are far less attractive now with the start of the 4N
I dunno. I reckon Felipe Contepomi is fairly good looking. Me wife reckons he's a ride.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am

I had im. He IS a roide. Ya never what he's going to do next though.

Which was nice....
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:02 am

Gibson wrote:I had im. He IS a roide. Ya never what he's going to do next though.

Which was nice....
I never did. Though the missus used to follow him round Superquin trying to trip him up and fall under him.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 am

Wimmin eh Jen?

Ah you can see what they see in him. I would. Best individual I ever saw play in Blue. The whole deal. Brilliant, classy and hyper-intelligent.

Bit like ROG. Except for those 3 facets...

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:23 am

The difference between ROG and Contempomi was subtle

ROG = Ligind
Phil = Ledge

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am

Mickado wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:A 3 month contract? What's the point in that?

What do you mean what's the point? The season ends in 3 months...

Do you think you are getting your moneys worth then? 'cause that is what he is here for, the money. A guy on loan that has been playing 15 months of rugby flat out and coming towards the end of his career, you may not even see the best of him. Or why not forget the 3 months and look to get him a longer contract next season.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

Little known fact...... A majority of people can't spell or pronounce Contepomi.

Con te po ME

Not

Count the pony. or any of a million others.

Even commentators can't do it. Yes I'm looking at you Donal Lenihan.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Mickado wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:A 3 month contract? What's the point in that?

What do you mean what's the point? The season ends in 3 months...

Do you think you are getting your moneys worth then? 'cause that is what he is here for, the money. A guy on loan that has been playing 15 months of rugby flat out and coming towards the end of his career, you may not even see the best of him. Or why not forget the 3 months and look to get him a longer contract next season.
Cause
A/ He's thirty fecken seven
B/ We probably won't have a Lock crisis next season
C/He is signed to a Japanese team and will probably retire after that.

As regards money's worth. It's a throw of the dice. Much better dice than you could throw with say........Gavin Henson though

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I believe you have an A team that would contain some locks, including a big Fijian guy. I was unaware of this supposed lock crisis.

Gavin Henson comes cheap nowadays though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I believe you have an A team that would contain some locks, including a big Fijian guy. I was unaware of this supposed lock crisis.

Big Guy from Wellington of Tongan extraction (Leo Auva'a) is an 8. Never seen or heard of him playing any other position.

Leo Cullen is out after an op. Steven Sykes is back with the sharks. Browne has been playing injured.

We only had 4 senior locks and a guy just out of the academy to begin with.

We are the European champs with designs on a double (Now just designs, I'm not getting cocky) We can't compete in the business end of the season with Devin Toner (well and all as he is playing) and his young cousin Mark Flanagan (the guy just out of the academy) with Kev McLaughlin as cover (a 6'4" number 6 who can cover 2nd row)

If that's not a crisis........

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Like 2nd hand cars.... They're always cheap for a reason.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Terblanche a journey man?? Ridiculous comment.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Congrats to Leinster, world class signing and confirms that they, along with Munster, are now on the map with the moneybag French clubs for prospective travellers, no matter of what stock or status.

I get the feeling big names would come to Ireland more with ambition in mind than the colossal paychecks the French are dishing out. Just goes to compliment the thriving state of provincial rugby at the moment.

From a Welsh perspective this makes the heart sink. The best we managed was a shot Jerry Collins (either shot or the O's messed him up as they tend to do to many). Also the Blues'll probably have to deal with Thorn now, bummer Crying or Very sad

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Make no mistake. Brad is in serious nick for a 37 year old that has played 15 months straight.

He also has incredible mental strength

His effect on the psyche of the team could be tremendous too. Players will lift their game to his standard, and take massive confidence from the fact that "he has their back" as the septics would say.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:38 pm

When is Thorns first match for Leinster likely to be?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Leo Cullen is out after an op. Steven Sykes is back with the sharks. Browne has been playing injured.

We are the European champs with designs on a double (Now just designs, I'm not getting cocky) We can't compete in the business end of the season with Devin Toner (well and all as he is playing) and his young cousin Mark Flanagan (the guy just out of the academy) with Kev McLaughlin as cover (a 6'4" number 6 who can cover 2nd row)

Isn't this exactly the situation to show that the new IRFU rule on not being able to sign a short term NIQ replacement is ridiculous? Leinster wouldn't be signing Thorn if they had an IQ alternative.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:16 am

Taylorman wrote:When is Thorns first match for Leinster likely to be?
Total guesswork on my part, but I would say they will play him in front of the home faithful in the next game. 23rd v Ospreys. Give him another run the following week in Thomond park to get him on song for the quarter final v Cardiff on Easter Saturday.

Then he could well get a rest. 2 Rabo games v Embra and Ulster, and a third a fortnight later v the Dragons.

Depending on whether we beat Cardiff, there could be 2 x semi finals (Rabo & HC) and 2 x finals. OR at the other extreme just 1 semi final.

That's it. Season over.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:I believe you have an A team that would contain some locks, including a big Fijian guy. I was unaware of this supposed lock crisis.

Big Guy from Wellington of Tongan extraction (Leo Auva'a) is an 8. Never seen or heard of him playing any other position.

Leo Cullen is out after an op. Steven Sykes is back with the sharks. Browne has been playing injured.

You need to pay whatever it takes to get the Big Wagga back.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Make no mistake. Brad is in serious nick for a 37 year old that has played 15 months straight.

He also has incredible mental strength

His effect on the psyche of the team could be tremendous too. Players will lift their game to his standard, and take massive confidence from the fact that "he has their back" as the septics would say.

eh, his mental strength didn't help his team in Japan. think I read they were in the playoffs to be relegated. Smile

Hopefully he gets game time in the Mun v Lein Magners game. It will be interesting to see how he operates outside a kiwi team.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 am

He was playing at the highest level when he was with the Brisbane Bronco’s in RL, I’m sure he can operate just fine outside of the kiwi environment.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 am

Mickado wrote:He was playing at the highest level when he was with the Brisbane Bronco’s in RL, I’m sure he can operate just fine outside of the kiwi environment.

You know what I mean, a different Union experience/move to the NH. Lots of kiwis find it a bit different when they come north.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 am

I know what you mean, I wasn’t contradicting you, I was just saying why I think he’ll be grand up here.

Time will tell I suppose.

There’s a good interview with Thorn, Nacewa and Flannery on the newstalk website, they get technical about the lineout.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 am

Mickado wrote:I know what you mean, I wasn’t contradicting you, I was just saying why I think he’ll be grand up here.

Time will tell I suppose.

There’s a good interview with Thorn, Nacewa and Flannery on the newstalk website, they get technical about the lineout.
Have you a link?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 am

Yep

http://bit.ly/wl9tzs

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 pm

There's also a nice vid on YouTube with Thorn talking about his training regime and saying that when he was a boy, his father kicked his arse into making him run places instead of being driven around the province.

Thorn said that as a lad he was "really very lazy".

His work out routine kicks backside - heavy weights alternating with core stuff between every set. Same as my personal trainer swears by.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah posted the link to it up above George.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:46 pm

roddersm wrote:Yeah posted the link to it up above George.

Up above where?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 am

He's been named on the Leinster A side to play Connacht tomorrow.

Holy moly.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am

I hope those rough culchies dont injure him.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

Gibson wrote:I hope those rough culchies dont injure him.
They might hurt themselves on his stubble.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
roddersm wrote:Yeah posted the link to it up above George.

Up above where?

Previous page:

http://vimeo.com/28389721
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2