The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

+22
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
Morgannwg
thebandwagonsociety
Smirnoffpriest
Sin é
Gibson
rodders
BlueMuff
disneychilly
chewed_mintie
Mickado
robbo277
hugo124
The Great Aukster
Gunner
Red Right
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Feckless Rogue
Jenifer McLadyboy
Cardiff Dave
brennomac
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract Empty Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by brennomac Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

We knew he was coming, but great to get it finally confirmed

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/9604.php

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract Empty Re: Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

On loan from the Blues.
Fukuoka Sanix Blues to be exact.
Sounds almost identical to how Ponty fans refer to Cardiff Blues. Very Happy

Will Thorn be eligible to play in the HEC QF?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract Empty Re: Brad Thorn confirmed for Leinster 3-mth contract

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:28 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:On loan from the Blues.
Fukuoka Sanix Blues to be exact.
Sounds almost identical to how Ponty fans refer to Cardiff Blues. Very Happy

Will Thorn be eligible to play in the HEC QF?
Laugh Love the Ponty crack.

No way we've brought the fecker all the way from Japan just to play in the Pro12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5mZY5WRgxU&feature=uploademail

He looks shokin good in the Jersey though. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

I'm not the most knowlegable on the southern players or the amateur era. Of the players I've seen, the best center partnership that never was....

12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Brian O'Driscoll

Not now, but when they were both in their prime.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 07 Mar 2012, 6:11 pm

So glad he is here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'm not the most knowlegable on the southern players or the amateur era. Of the players I've seen, the best center partnership that never was....

12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Brian O'Driscoll

That was supposed to go on the thread on centers, obviously. Not this one.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Wed 07 Mar 2012, 8:59 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:I'm not the most knowlegable on the southern players or the amateur era. Of the players I've seen, the best center partnership that never was....

12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Brian O'Driscoll

That was supposed to go on the thread on centers, obviously. Not this one.

Yeah, you were way off!! laughing

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

Leinster supporters should be elated with this short term signing.
You'll be getting 3 months of non nonsense commitment.
Brad Thorn = True Legend!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

So will all the Dublin based papers be slating Leinster for this signing the same way they slated Ulster for signing Terblanche?

... thought not.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:So will all the Dublin based papers be slating Leinster for this signing the same way they slated Ulster for signing Terblanche?

... thought not.

Quiet you. Or we'll bring him to Ravenhill. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm

Leinster unstoppable this year our only weakness is now a plus how could we lose.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:06 am

hugo124 wrote:Leinster unstoppable this year our only weakness is now a plus how could we lose.

Over-confidence?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:25 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:So will all the Dublin based papers be slating Leinster for this signing the same way they slated Ulster for signing Terblanche?

... thought not.

Quiet you. Or we'll bring him to Ravenhill. Smile
Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:31 am

I’m thinking if Cullen is fit I’d still go with Thorn to partner Toner for the Cardiff game. a really good blade and bludgeon combo.

Rumour floating around that O’Driscoll could be fit for that game, perhaps even in a super-sub capacity. That would be fairly alright wouldn’t it…?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:03 am

Congrats guys, you;ve signed the best lock in the world. His allround game is better than any other lock in my opinion.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:14 am

I've always had time for you Mintie... guinness

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:54 am

Mickado wrote:I’m thinking if Cullen is fit I’d still go with Thorn to partner Toner for the Cardiff game. a really good blade and bludgeon combo.

Rumour floating around that O’Driscoll could be fit for that game, perhaps even in a super-sub capacity. That would be fairly alright wouldn’t it…?
Bod is benching for brad's debut in the rds. Picking up steam with a start in thomond, and ready for cardiff .

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

That would be savage Jen. Fingers crossed.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

Looking forward to Brad having a hit out over here. He's a relative of mine-nice to have one of them doing the whanau proud! Will be great for Leinster too. Heineken Cup repeat odds just shortened.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:Congrats guys, you;ve signed the best lock in the world. His allround game is better than any other lock in my opinion.

I beg to differ. In the last 12 months Paul O'Connell has been the best performing lock - HC and 6Ns this year has been a class apart.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm

ok they've signed the second best then.... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 08 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:Congrats guys, you;ve signed the best lock in the world. His allround game is better than any other lock in my opinion.

I beg to differ. In the last 12 months Paul O'Connell has been the best performing lock - HC and 6Ns this year has been a class apart.

Yeah. But he never won a World Cup or 3 or 4 Tri-N's (also a cross-codes champion). He just needs a HC to complete the full set. So POC is well 2nd-rate to our Brad Im afraid.

And Ausk, Ulster have 20 or 30 Saffers in their squad. We have 29 IRISH Academy players in our extended squad. We can well afford room for a little 'un. Morally and in every other way. zen

Great business by Dawson & Schmidt.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

Gibbo you could probably count Nacewa now as he would've been Irish qualified if not for that Fiji debacle now lol.

I'd also agree with you in that I'd rather have Brad's CV and most recent international form over POC.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

It’s all academic who’s better. POC isn’t going to play for us anytime soon so I’m just happy out that we got Thorn.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

talking about locks - good news - Leinster haven't got their dirty little mitts on our Donncha (Ryan) - according to Michael Corcoran on twitter he has re-signed with Munster for 2 years.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

disneychilly wrote:Gibbo you could probably count Nacewa now as he would've been Irish qualified if not for that Fiji debacle now lol.

I'd also agree with you in that I'd rather have Brad's CV and most recent international form over POC.

Think Isa might have had aspirations to play for NZ. You probably wouldn't have had him at all except for that fiji debacle.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

Mickado wrote:It’s all academic who’s better. POC isn’t going to play for us anytime soon so I’m just happy out that we got Thorn.

It will be interesting to see how he performs up here in the NH (outside the AB environment).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

Sin é wrote:talking about locks - good news - Leinster haven't got their dirty little mitts on our Donncha (Ryan) - according to Michael Corcoran on twitter he has re-signed with Munster for 2 years.

Yeah, he was just spotted in Northampton/signing for the Miami Dolphins/in talks with Leinster.

We knew that was pure BS, a nothing story drummed up by grade 6 turnip botherer Hugh Farrelly.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

Just delighted that happened with Nacewa in retrospect, Disney. He is key. The only foreigner we'd really miss.

Yeah Sin, I really like Ryan. Would have been great to get him, but he's made a good choice staying with a growing Munster imo. He was never going to leave anyway. Hope he takes his chance with both hands on Sat. We need him to. This could be him sealing his spot for years to come. And really hope we sort the jumpers out and Rory throws better darts this weekend. Scotland so strong there.

music And we're off to Dublin In the Green, In the Green... music

Last edited by Gibson on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:16 pm

Mickado wrote:
Sin é wrote:talking about locks - good news - Leinster haven't got their dirty little mitts on our Donncha (Ryan) - according to Michael Corcoran on twitter he has re-signed with Munster for 2 years.

Yeah, he was just spotted in Northampton/signing for the Miami Dolphins/in talks with Leinster.

We knew that was pure BS, a nothing story drummed up by grade 6 turnip botherer Hugh Farrelly.

Well, his contract negotiations seemed to have been going on for a long time if there was only one club (Munster) interested in him. and considering he is only breaking through for the Irish team, it wouldn't be a good time to be moving abroad.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

His contract negotiations are taking ages for the same reason Heaslip/Sexton/BOD’s were last year. And Bowe and Fitzgerald this year, agents are trying to squeeze every single penny out of the province or the IRFU that they can. It’s sad but true.

You know that when Schmidt was asked about the Ryan he said he was a good player but we weren’t in talks with him?

The agent calls the Indo – “yo Hugh, my client is in talks with Leinster”, Farrelly prints it, Ryan’s stock rises, giving the agent more leverage in negotiations.

Fair play to Ryan for sticking where he is, I’m sure if he was realistically looking at moving from Munster there would be loads of offers. But he wasn’t.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

Mickado wrote:His contract negotiations are taking ages for the same reason Heaslip/Sexton/BOD’s were last year. And Bowe and Fitzgerald this year, agents are trying to squeeze every single penny out of the province or the IRFU that they can. It’s sad but true.

You know that when Schmidt was asked about the Ryan he said he was a good player but we weren’t in talks with him?

The agent calls the Indo – “yo Hugh, my client is in talks with Leinster”, Farrelly prints it, Ryan’s stock rises, giving the agent more leverage in negotiations.

Fair play to Ryan for sticking where he is, I’m sure if he was realistically looking at moving from Munster there would be loads of offers. But he wasn’t.

Its happening already. The agents are making the moves that will change Irish rugby forever. Fitz is also leaving everything to his agent. Not getting involved in negociations. He could go, if he doesnt get the deal he wants.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

Poor Fitzgerald. Things haven't gone well for him in the last couple of seasons with injuries and form. I think he might get offered less than he thinks his talent merits.

I hope he stays with Leinster for life though. We saw some glimpses of his attacking brilliance when he got back into form earlier in the season. Then injury again. He's been very unfortunate.

I think his best is still to come for us.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:15 pm

Sin é wrote:
disneychilly wrote:Gibbo you could probably count Nacewa now as he would've been Irish qualified if not for that Fiji debacle now lol.

Think Isa might have had aspirations to play for NZ. You probably wouldn't have had him at all except for that fiji debacle.

Absolutely true. The guy would have been an All Black and never looked at Leinster.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

As Micko has already said He was never in the frame. We knew that he knew that we knew he was never in it. Huge Farthingale may be the only man in the known universe to have believ.......no not even he believed it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
Yahoo
BRAD THORN!

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

Tell you what Pete... he's in decent nick for an auld fella... Shocked

http://vimeo.com/28389721
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

Sin E I'm a Kiwi so I would have had him Smile

Don't know if he'd have beaten Muliaina to the 15 shirt though. Definitely wouldn't displace Dagg at present. Nick Evans played 15, as did Henry's fave Toeava. Might not have gotten a look in at all. The travesty is not which team really, just that it'd have been great to see him IN international rugby. Leinster must love being able to keep such a player when test matches come a calling.

Tell you what Brad's got a fairly decent shout at winning the Pro12 and HC, jeepers that'd give him pretty much every major trophy available!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

Ahh - Scarlets need a lock much more than you - damn you!

Give him to us, please!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

disneychilly wrote:Tell you what Brad's got a fairly decent shout at winning the Pro12 and HC, jeepers that'd give him pretty much every major trophy available!

I was thinking that myself. Not sure what he won in League but he's won the NPC, Super Rugby, the Trinations and the RWC. Was he with the All Blacks when they won the Lions series in 2005? Imagine he won a HEC and a Pro-12 with Leinster on top of all that!
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

Lets not get carried away lads, there is a very long way to go until silverware and we are the team with the big target on our backs. The Blues won't be a 50+ point game like back in the RDS, then if we make a quarter final, we have lost in France to Clermont not too long ago. Another possibility in the SF is Saracens who we barely got past in Wembley in the group the other year and while we have improved since then, that side have entered the elite level of english rugby. Then it could be a chance of facing Munster or Ulster in the final!!!! which would mean all bets are off.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

A 3 month contract? What's the point in that?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:15 am

"Thorn played over 200 times for the Brisbane Broncos in two spells playing Rugby League (between 1994-2000 and 2005-07) where he won NRL Grand Final titles and also featured in the State of Origin series (in 1999, 2000 and later in 2005)...

He was also in the All Blacks to claim three Tri-Nations titles (2003, 2008 and 2010), a Super 14 title with Canterbury Crusaders (2008) and has won 49 caps for the All Blacks (between 2003-11) culminating in last year’s World Cup triumph."

Geez has he been around forever or what? Doesn't get much tougher than that.

Jason O'Connors folks moved from NZ to Brisbane just before JOC was born and he was 4 when Thorne debuted for the Bronco's. Last year they went head to head several times. I find that amazing, that a player can be at the peak of his game (2 games!) for the full 18 years of his pro career and can switch from code to code and back again and still be selected for higher honours.

One things for sure Leinster have got one tough S.O.A.B for the short period hes there. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:27 am

Morgannwg wrote:A 3 month contract? What's the point in that?

What do you mean what's the point? The season ends in 3 months...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:03 am

Morgannwg wrote:A 3 month contract? What's the point in that?

It’s more of a loan – he’s still got another season in Japan to go back to

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

To hell with Leinster. The Crusaders need you Brad. Come back! I´ll get a chip around going on 606v2 going for you. We need some steel back in the Crusaders pack.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

Yes kia and worse whats the ab impact. Hansen will be sweating already over losing someone we have do long taken for granted.
Thornes worth already leaving a big hole.
But still to be that good at 36 in this day and age after such a long and distinguished career is amazing.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

He is a consummate professional. He proved that being 30 something is no barrier in professional rugby. Preparation, conditioning off-season and proper stretching after matches and looking after your body is what´s required. You don't have to be 19 or early 20s to play to a high standard. He will be sorely missed. I miss him already as a Canterbury man, that´s for damned sure. Don´t want to think about the hole he will leave in the AB pack.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

Leinster are lucky to have this guy, hes a flipping machine, one of the best players ever to lace boots in either code.

Don't worry about the fact hes 37, he'll be the fittest and strongest guy in the squad.... in fact he could probably biceps curl Ross and Healy.. Shocked

Any chance of keeping him next season?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 09 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

I doubt it Rodders. He’s still in contract with the Japanese team.

You’d never know but I’d expect we’re already looking at our long term options for next season. No idea who it could be though…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next