The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Eurovision Representative Is...........

+5
Hoggy_Bear
Josiah Maiestas
dyrewolfe
Adam D
Beer
9 posters

Go down

UK Eurovision Representative Is........... Empty UK Eurovision Representative Is...........

Post by Beer Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK!!!!

Yahoo

British crooner Engelbert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The 75-year-old, dubbed the "King of Romance", is best known for his 1967 hit Release Me, which kept The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever off the number one spot.

The singer said it was "an absolute honour" to be taking part and was "excited and raring to go".

This year's competition will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 26 May.

The song Humperdinck will perform has yet to be announced but the BBC said it would be recorded in London, Los Angeles and Nashville.

It will be written by Grammy award-winning producer Martin Terefe and Ivor Novello winner Sacha Skarbek, who co-wrote James Blunt hit You're Beautiful.

Humperdinck - whose real name is Arnold Dorsey - has sold more than 150 million records worldwide during his 45 year career.

Born in Chennai to a British army officer, he took his stage name from a German composer best known for his opera Hansel and Gretel.

He scored a UK number one with The Last Waltz and had other hits including There Goes My Everything and A Man Without Love.

His last UK top 20 single was 40 years ago with Too Beautiful To Last which reached number 14.

The singer has received four Grammy nominations, a Golden Globe for Entertainer of the Year and is one of only a handful of artists with a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Las Vegas Walk of Fame.

"It's an absolute honour to be representing my country for this year's Eurovision Song Contest," the singer said.

"When the BBC approached me, it just felt right for me to be a part of an institution like Eurovision. I'm excited and raring to go and want the nation to get behind me!"

Humperdinck is the oldest ever Eurovision contestant and if he wins, will be the UK's first victor since Katrina and the Waves 15 years ago.

"Engelbert's age isn't the reason why we chose him to represent the nation for Eurovision, but it's nice to break a few records along the way," a BBC spokeswoman said.

Katie Taylor, BBC head of entertainment and events said: "Not since the 70s have we had such an established international musical legend represent the nation.

"We couldn't be more delighted. Engelbert's experience leaves us in no doubt that he will be able to deliver a standout performance in front of 120 million viewers worldwide."

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

UK Eurovision Representative Is........... Empty Re: UK Eurovision Representative Is...........

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

I think that Electric Demon should have got his finger out and followed through on his promise from all those years ago.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

UK Eurovision Representative Is........... Empty Re: UK Eurovision Representative Is...........

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 04 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

So, "Nil Points" it is then.

What the hell is wrong with the people who run Britain's Eurovision entries?

While other countries enter energetic pop and rock acts, or interesting traditional folk groups, we're stuck with an OAP who was making ladies' hearts flutter 30-40 years ago! And before that crap gimmicky acts or just plain boring rubbish (all of whom would probably have gone down a storm on X Factor). Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if it were up to me, I'd find an unknown, up-and-coming band on the local music scene and ask them to write a song (or at least have them collaborate on the entry). Y'know - a group that can play their instruments, write their own songs and has experience of playing live.

No wonder we do so poorly. Even if I could have, I wouldn't have voted for any of our entries for the last 10 years or so.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:00 am

engelbert might be the first contestant that paid the selectors to be given the slot. I have no other theories thus far.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

dyrewolfe wrote:So, "Nil Points" it is then.

What the hell is wrong with the people who run Britain's Eurovision entries?

While other countries enter energetic pop and rock acts, or interesting traditional folk groups, we're stuck with an OAP who was making ladies' hearts flutter 30-40 years ago! And before that crap gimmicky acts or just plain boring rubbish (all of whom would probably have gone down a storm on X Factor). Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if it were up to me, I'd find an unknown, up-and-coming band on the local music scene and ask them to write a song (or at least have them collaborate on the entry). Y'know - a group that can play their instruments, write their own songs and has experience of playing live.

No wonder we do so poorly. Even if I could have, I wouldn't have voted for any of our entries for the last 10 years or so.

To be honest, I reckon the UK could have the best song and the best act and they still wouldn't get anywhere near winning. Countries just vote for their neighbours or allies anyway, and everybody hates us. Very Happy

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

True Hoggy.

I know the rest of Europe hates us and we're unlikely to win regardless, but at least they're trying to drag Eurovision into the 21st century, with some modern and genuinely talented entries.

Whereas our lot seem to be stuck in a time warp, obsessed with naff novelty acts and earnest-but-boring ballads. Now those have failed, do they really think "retro" is the way to go? Rolling Eyes
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

I think its funny Very Happy

Since no one will vote for us or likes us why not make a mockery of the contest and send someone like Humperdink!

Even better lets send in Tony Angelino (Only Fools and Horses)!

BRING BACK TERRY WOGAN!!!!!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

hornbloweroafc wrote:I think its funny Very Happy

Since no one will vote for us or likes us why not make a mockery of the contest and send someone like Humperdink!

I've just started Cwying over that, cheers.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:56 pm

We (Ireland) tried that a few years back. If they don't want to vote for us let's send them a Turkey. Very pointed irony. The Euro intelligencia frowned on the idea, didn't laugh and called in the IMF! 'Screw that Turkey', they said. And they did. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 07 Mar 2012, 2:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:

We (Ireland) tried that a few years back. If they don't want to vote for us let's send them a Turkey. Very pointed irony. The Euro intelligencia frowned on the idea, didn't laugh and called in the IMF! 'Screw that Turkey', they said. And they did. Wink

So you decided to continue your campaign and sent...JEDWARD!!! Shocked Erm Sad
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

Well now that we're well and truly screwed, it kind of makes artistic sense to keep sending two space cadets in space suits. The Aussies will love it anyway. Theyll give us 12 points even though they can't vote.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

Adam D wrote:I think that Electric Demon should have got his finger out and followed through on his promise from all those years ago.

I'm still writing the track - it's a funky number, loads of clipped chords and falsetto vocals, but I can't get it right. I'll submit it when it's right.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down