The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread.

+61
Portnoy's Complaint
Biltong
Brian Moores Twin
aitchw
Bathman_in_London
Geordie
ultra
EnglishReign
lostinwales
gboycottnut
OzT
rainbow-warrior
A World Cup and 3 Finals
HongKongCherry
Scrumpy
Breadvan
Cyril
RubyGuby
Galted
AlastairW
offload
LondonTiger
Duty281
Pal Joey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Portnoy
nganboy
tigertattie
mckay1402
TrailApe
Knowsit17
bluestonevedder
Jimpy
ScarletSpiderman
nobbled
BamBam
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Comfort
Effervescing Elephant
damage_13
jimmyinthewell68
Luckless Pedestrian
thebluesmancometh
gregortree
kiakahaaotearoa
munkian
HammerofThunor
pontylad
mowgli
Dontheman
mystiroakey
anotherworldofpain
LordDowlais
Morgannwg
gowales
eirebilly
majesticimperialman
sugarNspikes
Casartelli
Thomond
HERSH
65 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread. - Page 3 Empty The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread.

Post by HERSH Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:40 am

First topic message reminder :

2013 bickering thread

OK, every year we see threads that actually contain really good rugby discussion derailed by the ongoing Wales vs England bickering and WUMMING! I will name no names. I guess we have all been guilty.

Since most of the general bickering comes from the respective fans of Wales and England ; I thought I would create a thread for it in an effort to keep decent rugby discussion relatively WUM free in other threads.

Let it commence
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread.

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:Surely you can be very Welsh and very British. I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Ah see there is an English point of view, I see them as two totally different things, and you see English and British as one and the same. I bet well over 75% of English people couldn't tell you that the English flag is non red white and blue.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread.

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

Care to explain the Welsh point of view on it? Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

You can indeed be very Welsh and very British. I do, however, think Hersh is telling a porky pie about being at the Millennium Stadium the other day. Why would he have gone if he doesn't like football?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

Sugar - yeah they are not exclusive, the same as being a 'brit' (which a huge number of british people are not) and being European. Or being European and being Northen hemisphere, etc etc.

The thing is Welsh understand that being Welsh and British are two different things, the English (or a heap of them that I know) struggle to tell the difference between British and English, and belive the English national flag is the Union Jack etc
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You can indeed be very Welsh and very British. I do, however, think Hersh is telling a porky pie about being at the Millennium Stadium the other day. Why would he have gone if he doesn't like football?

Glory Supporting, just like why he has such a keen interest in the Ospreys.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Surely you can be very Welsh and very British. I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Ah see there is an English point of view, I see them as two totally different things, and you see English and British as one and the same. I bet well over 75% of English people couldn't tell you that the English flag is non red white and blue.
Thanks for explaing how I feel.

I don't see them as one and the same at all, I see them as two separate entities that can overlap. I'm also proudly Yorkshire.

This idea that all English people are Royalty-worshipping, non-flag-understanding imbeciles is patronising claptrap Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

I don't know any English people who think the Union Jack is the flag of England. If these people truly exist it is all of our duty be we English, Welsh or Zanussian to stop them breeding. Will somebody please think about the children!!!!!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

So you truly believe that 37.5 million people don't know what the St George's cross is? Just looking at the number of annoying car window St George's crosses on view at every single football tournament disproves this opinion!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I don't see them as one and the same at all, I see them as two separate entities that can overlap. I'm also proudly Yorkshire.

This idea that all English people are Royalty-worshipping, non-flag-understanding imbeciles is patronising claptrap Smile

Well the majority of English people I know are Norfolk (in laws), Hampshire (family) and a few from elsewhere and God's honest truth about 75% of them are the royal-worshipping ibeciles (as you put it) that I described. Then there are the pundits/jurnos on/at the Olymics who get confused whether they are talking about England or Britain.

Carpe - I ain't saying that they don't know what it is, I am saying that they don't appreciate the difference between the St. George's Cross and the Union Flag. Look at the amount of incorrect flags that get waved around at England Wendyball internationals. It is not a pop at anyone, but just an observation I have made.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:24 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You can indeed be very Welsh and very British. I do, however, think Hersh is telling a porky pie about being at the Millennium Stadium the other day. Why would he have gone if he doesn't like football?

Glory Supporting, just like why he has such a keen interest in the Ospreys.

Or he's made it up as a pretext to say we should get rid of 'Hen Wlad fy Nhadau'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

My missus overheard a woman in a hair dressers admitting that she didn't know what countries made up Britain. It's mostly the English that are rabid 'Brits' at the moment. Some might say that the word 'British' is just a way of forcing English culture on the Welsh, Scotish and Irish.

Strangely enough though I love the Lions tours.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:22 pm

[quote="ScarletSpiderman"]
sugarNspikes wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Well the majority of English people I know are Norfolk (in laws), Hampshire (family) and a few from elsewhere and God's honest truth about 75% of them are the royal-worshipping ibeciles (as you put it) that I described. Then there are the pundits/jurnos on/at the Olymics who get confused whether they are talking about England or Britain.

Carpe - I ain't saying that they don't know what it is, I am saying that they don't appreciate the difference between the St. George's Cross and the Union Flag. Look at the amount of incorrect flags that get waved around at England Wendyball internationals. It is not a pop at anyone, but just an observation I have made.

Well, since the Union Flag is nearly symmetrical, its probably a quite easy mistake to make, even for normally intelligent people. I expect they avoided the possibility of Welsh embarassment by sticking a bloody great dragon on their flag. That way only a complete imbecile could get it upside down..

Last edited by Jimpy on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:22 pm

munkian wrote:Some might say that the word 'British' is just a way of forcing English culture on the Welsh, Scotish and Irish.

And some might say that's rubbish.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:27 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
munkian wrote:Some might say that the word 'British' is just a way of forcing English culture on the Welsh, Scotish and Irish.

OK

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:28 pm

Jimpy - are you real?

Carpe Diem & Co. please read this post

Jimpy wrote:Well, since the Union Flag is nearly symmetrical, its probably a quite easy mistake to make, even for normally intelligent people. I expect they avoided the possibility of Welsh embarassment by sticking a bloody great dragon on their flag. That way only a complete imbecile could get it upside down..

I really hope that this is a WUM post!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

And some may argue that of all the English, Irish, Scots and Welsh the English have the lesser right to call themselves 'brits' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britons_(historical) ) after all they are Anglo-Saxon (the name England coming from Angle-Land).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't! Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread. - Page 3 1347041234

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Jimpy - are you real?

Jimpy wrote:Well, since the Union Flag is nearly symmetrical, its probably a quite easy mistake to make, even for normally intelligent people. I expect they avoided the possibility of Welsh embarassment by sticking a bloody great dragon on their flag. That way only a complete imbecile could get it upside down..

I retract my earlier statements and throw myself upon the mercy of the Welsh. Please help us.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:02 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Jimpy - are you real?

I retract my earlier statements and throw myself upon the mercy of the Welsh. Please help us.

Hug
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:04 pm

kiss
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

I throw that quote around a bit and I only ever get a couple of words in reply.

First time it's been rubbished by someone who I assume is Welsh though.

I'm not a staunch believer in it myself though I think it has elements of truth.

Care to elaborate on your reply Luckless - just for debates sake (I'm bored, very slow Monday picard)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

Well what should we call ourselves collectively then muniken?

They has to be a name, because we are all part of this collective union internationaly

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:15 pm

Nice bit of action started by the Borat/Yoda hybrid. Well done lads.

ghost
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:19 pm

munkian wrote:

I throw that quote around a bit and I only ever get a couple of words in reply.

First time it's been rubbished by someone who I assume is Welsh though.

I'm not a staunch believer in it myself though I think it has elements of truth.

Care to elaborate on your reply Luckless - just for debates sake (I'm bored, very slow Monday picard)

Not really, other than that I don't believe there's any truth to it at all. It's fashionable to lay the blame for the bad things the British Empire did at the feet of the English, but we were all at it.

What time do you finish? I'm off at four! Yahoo

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Well what should we call ourselves collectively then muniken?

They has to be a name, because we are all part of this collective union internationaly

The thing is if someone asked you what you were, what would you say? Are you English (or Irish/Welsh/Scottish), or British, or European, etc. Whilst you are technically all of them your define yourself (when asked) by one, and the only people who have a health number (that I know of) that classes themselves as British are English.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

can i just say- together like in the olympics we are better!!

Its nice to do this together and do so well!

The Official 2013 Wales v England bickering thread. - Page 3 769663

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:25 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

The thing is if someone asked you what you were, what would you say? Are you English (or Irish/Welsh/Scottish), or British, or European, etc. Whilst you are technically all of them your define yourself (when asked) by one, and the only people who have a health number (that I know of) that classes themselves as British are English.

what embassy would you go to in a forign country?

what passport to you pull out?

what does our UN seat represent, or g8 or the security councils?

Who are we in europe

If we join the army- who do we fight for?

who are we in the eyes of international law.

Me personally am just a londoner mate- not even english- but being a londener or an englishman is immaterial to our status internationally. We are all from the UK of GB and NI.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:What time do you finish? I'm off at four! Yahoo

Same here, didn't notice how close it was until i read your post!! Yahoo
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:32 pm

It's always good to get Monday out of the way! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

what embassy would you go to in a forign country?

what passport to you pull out?

what does our UN seat represent, or g8 or the security councils?

Who are we in europe

If we join the army- who do we fight for?

who are we in the eyes of international law.

Me personally am just a londoner mate- not even english- but being a londener or an englishman is immaterial to our status internationally. We are all from the UK of GB and NI.

I can see where your coming from, but that does not mean we need to like being part of it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

Scarlet do you not enjoy us being in the olympics together?

do you not like the lions?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:37 pm

We are UK in the Olympics Very Happy

I'd say I'm Welsh before I'm British - but I wasn't disputing the term British.

You say were 'were all at it' - I'd say it was mostly the Scots and the Irish and then the Welsh who died for it and the English reaped the reward.

But the empire is'nt particularly relevant.

The most common event of the English using the term British (outside the Olympics) is when one of us wins something. If an English athelete wins at something - they are English. If they are Scotish, Northen Irish or Welsh they are generally refered to as British. Just saying : )

And I finish at 1740. You go to hell, you to hell and you die ! Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

so would you rather being called 'united kindomish'- it doesnt work mate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

munkian wrote:You say were 'were all at it' - I'd say it was mostly the Scots and the Irish and then the Welsh who died for it and the English reaped the reward.

And your views are based on what?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Scarlet do you not enjoy us being in the olympics together?

do you not like the lions?

I have watched some of the Olymics, and have wanted to see Team GB do well, but I would rather have seen the same set up as at the Commonwealth Games, where Wales are there representing themselves. And to be honest I would probably still want to see the English lot doing well in an event if Wales were out, as they are our neighbours/rivals.

I take an interst in what the local lads do in the Lions, and then what the Welsh do. Yes I take an interest, but probably not as much as I would have taken if it was Wales touring.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:43 pm

Gonna be honest- i dont think the lions helps us individually- but the olympics is brilliant and long may us all stay in the union and play together in that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

munkian wrote:We are UK in the Olympics Very Happy

I'd say I'm Welsh before I'm British - but I wasn't disputing the term British.

You say were 'were all at it' - I'd say it was mostly the Scots and the Irish and then the Welsh who died for it and the English reaped the reward.

But the empire is'nt particularly relevant.

The most common event of the English using the term British (outside the Olympics) is when one of us wins something. If an English athelete wins at something - they are English. If they are Scotish, Northen Irish or Welsh they are generally refered to as British. Just saying : )
And I finish at 1740. You go to hell, you to hell and you die ! Wink

Andy Murray was being hyped as Britains #1 then he lost in the Wimbledon final and he was the Scotsman who broke down in tears.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

They don't give out trophies for temporarily being fourth in the rankings Whistle

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Gonna be honest- i dont think the lions helps us individually- but the olympics is brilliant and long may us all stay in the union and play together in that.

Why together though. Other than wanting other people to bring you success?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:47 pm

The seat of the Empire being English for a start.

See they've played the whole divide and conquer thing very well Luckless, they have us two arguing in a 'Wales v England thread'

Did you go to the Dragon's fun day ? I got a season ticket for my 31st, going to try and make the Zebre game. We need Lions onesies...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:47 pm

I love the olympics, and passionately support team GB. I like the idea of the nations of the commonwealth games coming together to represent GB every four years. My only wish is for rugby to be there too. A GB sevens team playing NZ/SA would be interesting to say the least. Plus it will help develop rugby across the world.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

What do you mean other people?

we are all the same- we all buy the lottery. that funds our players from all over the uk, we all pay taxes, we all recieve benefits,etc, etc, etc. The system is UK wide

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

Can't agree with you more mystiroakey and morgannwg clap

Really annoys me, all this petulant cynicism.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:53 pm

So because the seat of Empire was London, the Welsh, Scottish and Irish died and the English profited? Headscratch

I didn't go the fun day. I'll be there for the London Irish match though - as long as my season ticket comes through in time!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

The majority of the British army was made up of Irish, Scoytish and Welsh ergot, the common soldiers died but it was the rich land owning English elite that profited from Imperialism.

Any way- yeah - mine hasn't arrived yet either.. bad times
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:02 pm

What are you two on about jeas! its history lads.. you might as well blame a couple of villages thousands of years ago for fighting amongst each other

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:05 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Can't agree with you more mystiroakey and morgannwg clap

Really annoys me, all this petulant cynicism.

I get annoyed by all this temporary Jingoism, ah well, all over soon
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:What are you two on about jeas! its history lads.. you might as well blame a couple of villages thousands of years ago for fighting amongst each other

Hmmm.. it's not that long ago, and easy for the conquerer to say Very Happy

You don't see Tibet cheering for China Whistle

The aircon has died in my office. As my posts become more erratic I blame the lack of oxygen to the brain
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 06 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

mystiroakey wrote:What are you two on about jeas! its history lads.. you might as well blame a couple of villages thousands of years ago for fighting amongst each other

The concept of a United Kingdom has been dead from birth. It always was smeared with blood due to the subject nations being forced at gunpoint to declare themselves unified with England, that is if they were allowed the privilege of declaring anything at all. Would you be able to live with that if you were from Wales, Scotland or NI?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next