The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

+16
Dave.
braveheart101
Nay
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
TRUSSMAN66
Ent
packofwolves
Diggers
Kay Fabe
legendkillar
Mat
Crimey
dyrewolfe
marty2086
sodhat
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy - Page 2 Empty Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb - 22:05

First topic message reminder :

So where does this leave Wolves now?
Currently sitting 3rd bottom, who is the man to keep them from relegation?

Back to top Go down

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Feb - 11:35

Why the dislike for McDermott? He's done a good job at Reading with no well known players, limited funds. Wolves would love to get a decent coach like him there, he should also be allowed to get rid of the average defence theyve been left with!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 22 Feb - 12:30

I think Brian McDermott would be a fantastic choice, he's getting every last drop out of his Reading side which in reality isn't that good, he has been doing this for the last 18 months and has also managed to not allow the sale of his best striker effect his team.

He runs a tight shipe and also tries to play football with a bit of no nonsense defending thrown in, I think if Wolves got this guy it'd be a bit of a coup, he's not a cheque book manager either, this is the type of guy I want to see get a chance, not the constant manager merry go round that see the same type of managers take the same type of jobs

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb - 6:05

Reading manager Brian McDermott has signed a new contract with the Championship club, ruling him out of the running to take over at Wolves. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17129774

Wolves have failed in a fresh attempt to make Alan Curbishley their new manager, BBC Sport understands. Curbishley was interviewed for the job last week but pulled out of the running because he and the board did not share a vision for the club. Wolves made another approach to the ex-Charlton and West Ham boss three days later but he turned them down again.

... Wolves look no nearer to filling the vacancy before their next game at Newcastle on Saturday. Caretaker manager Terry Connor looks set to take charge at the weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17112269

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 23 Feb - 9:29

I have a feeling they expected Curbishley to sign, and now that he didn't, they had a plan B of McDermott which has also failed, I doubt they have seriously considered a plan C.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 23 Feb - 9:49

I think Plan C might just be Lee Clark

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 23 Feb - 22:56

Reports this end are suggesting Wolves want Walter Smith unril the end of the season, to secure their Premiership status I think this would be an ideal move to be honest

I'm a wee bit biased here though as Wattie is a close family friend, he'll get every drop of effort out the players although the downside is it won't be pretty to watch

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb - 23:01

Sky are reporting now that Walter has turned it down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 23 Feb - 23:10

I would like to know why Curbishley and Smith ( if its true) have turned them down .
Something about the club not having the same future goals or something like that , it sounds to me like Curbishley wanted some guarantees on future investment in the squad and they were not matched by the owner .

Lee Clark looks like a good young up and coming manager who did wonders at Huddersfield , i know Wolves are in the premier league but why not give him a go .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 24 Feb - 0:52

I wouldn't be surprised if both with Curbishley and Smith they said until the end of the season, rather than being a long-term manager.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb - 6:38

Walter Smith turns down the Wolves job ...
"I know Jez Moxey [Wolves chief executive] and knew I was more of a fall-back than anything. We didn't even get as far as discussing money.

"There was never a face-to-face meeting and we never discussed finance.

"If someone asks you, you're pleased to be asked, but the longer you think about it, you start to ask yourself whether it was right." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17145530

With so many people turning down the Wolverhampton job, despite some of them reportedly desperate to get back into management, one wonders whether perhaps Mick McCarthy was performing above what might be expected once one has the insider knowledge of the situation and resources.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 24 Feb - 6:50

Smith seems to just be frustrated that he was only an option because Curbishley rejected Wolves twice. All the possible managers are going to think that now, they are second, third, fourth choice to be the manager, so the faith isn't really there from the board.

It's unfortunate for Wolves who I am sure would have thought they would have a new manager by now, and the longer it drags on, the more bad effect it will have on the team.

At this rate, and if the weekend's result goes well, I wouldn't be surprised to see whoever the caretaker manager is to actually take over temporarily for the first team until the end of the season.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Fri 24 Feb - 10:23

This is what you get when the owner sacks the boss without any plan for succession. Morgan has made one hell of an error here, he's acted like a fan by sacking Mick after the West Brom result, without considering the alternatives first.
The recruitment process has been laughable, the amount of information that is in the public eye is not acceptable...how do you expect to attract top managers when they know that 3,4,5,6 others were preferred to them? Thats essentially what Walter Smith's reasoning for rejecting the job seems to be. How do you have faith in your employers if they don't seem to have faith in you?

Mick's saving grace was that he has a track record of keeping us in the league. If a change was to be made it needed to be done by the start of december or to be held until the end of the season. Now whoever comes in has to work with Mick's squad, with no chance to add to it and with no guarantee of a job come the end of the season.

It's hardly an irresistible carrot we're dangling is it?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Feb - 0:49

"Terry Connor named Wolves manager until end of season: Wolves have promoted assistant boss Terry Connor to manager until the end of the season."

I suppose it's the best decision given the circumstances. I would have liked to know why Curbishley turned the post down given that he was reportedly desperate to get back into management. You have to give credit to the Wolves owner with sticking with the same coach (Mick McCarthy) for so long - over five years, compared to other clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17153404

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 25 Feb - 3:33

Crimey wrote:At this rate, and if the weekend's result goes well, I wouldn't be surprised to see whoever the caretaker manager is to actually take over temporarily for the first team until the end of the season.

So I got it spot on.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 25 Feb - 3:50

Makes sense really , gives the board time to see if Wolves stay up before looking at options .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Sat 25 Feb - 5:37

Nore Staat wrote: You have to give credit to the Wolves owner with sticking with the same coach (Mick McCarthy) for so long - over five years, compared to other clubs.

Why do you have to give Morgan credit for sticking with a manager who succeeded in the brief he was given...initially to get wolves promoted (which he did as champions) and then for the previous two seasons when the goal was survival. He has been sacked after being given instructions to push wolves further up the table, goals which were in hindsight unrealistic considering the minimal (in comparison) funds given to the manager.

Now, we are stuck with an average coach in a management role which he has never previously held (for more than the occasional game) who will employ the same tactics with the same players. How on earth Morgan deserves credit considering the position we are now in, god only knows.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Feb - 23:32

Pack - very much with you on this.

Morgan's thinking seems very muddled.

Even though Morgan's expectations of a mid table place or even higher were unreasonable and unrealistic, if McCarthy was going to be sacked for failing to achieve that then surely the time to do so would be either at the end of the season or at least when survival had been assured.

If the above didn't come into his reasoning and he sacked McCarthy because he thought McCarthy was certainly taking you down then he is misguided at best. You are clearly in a dangerous posion. However, you are not certainties for the drop. For the final third of this season, I would far rather have a man in charge who has guided you to safety over the last two seasons than his former assistant who has never been in a regular management role.

I guess Morgan expected one of various currently unemployed but nonetheless decent managers to be very willing to take over the reins from McCarthy. I think that was rather naive given your current position and comparative lack of funds. I'm also far from convinced that such a change would have been in Wolves' best interests even if someone was prepared to sign up to the job. McCarthy knew your club better than anyone and, as far I can tell from this distance, he had not lost the dressing room.

Yes, the defeat to West Brom was poor and embarrassing. However, I fear the kneejerk dismissal to it of McCarthy's sacking will have far worse consequences.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 5 Mar - 6:41

guildfordbat wrote:
.... Yes, the defeat to West Brom was poor and embarrassing. However, I fear the kneejerk dismissal to it of McCarthy's sacking will have far worse consequences.

As I was saying ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Mar - 8:23

Funny since Mick McCarthy's sacking WBA have shown their hammering of Wolves 5-1, was not a one off, hammering Sunderland 4-0, and deservedly beating Chelsea 1-0.

Roy Hodgson has seen off two managers in three games: Mick McCarthy and Andre Villas-Boas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2