The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

+16
Dave.
braveheart101
Nay
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
TRUSSMAN66
Ent
packofwolves
Diggers
Kay Fabe
legendkillar
Mat
Crimey
dyrewolfe
marty2086
sodhat
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy Empty Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

So where does this leave Wolves now?
Currently sitting 3rd bottom, who is the man to keep them from relegation?

Back to top Go down

Wolves sack Mick McCarthy Empty Re: Wolves sack Mick McCarthy

Post by sodhat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

I'm pretty shocked, even after a 5-1 loss at home to their rivals I got the feeling he had enough credit in the bank to have a chance to keep them up. Which I also thought he would have done...

Not sure who is out there now that they think will be able to come in and change anything greatly. Who are the bookies saying?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

Steve Bruce 6/1
Neil Warnock 6/1
Dougie Freedman 8/1
Billy Davies 10/1

From sky bet

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Theyve not had much luck all season I thought Bassong and Frimpong were good loan signings but they havnt reignited the team

Bruce might be the man for them

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:48 am

Sadly, I don't think there are any candidates out there who can save Wolves from relegation. They're a pretty average team of journeymen players who'd need a Martin O'Neill type manager to make them really punch above their weight.

Worse, the new manager will be unable to change the squad until the end of the season.

Another example of stupid kneejerk management at boardroom level, without really thinking about how it might affect the club over the coming months. McCarthy was probably Wolves best bet of staying up. I could see them avoiding the drop by the skin of their teeth during the last couple of games. Things are so tight that any of the bottom 5 could stay up by goal difference alone and 13 games is a fair amount of time to turn things around in the circumstances.

As it is I think the Wolves board has doomed them to relegation. I almost hope they do go down now, just to teach them a lesson. They only needed to look at QPR to see that changing the manager doesn't guarantee a turnaround in fortunes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

It's an odd one really, you would have thought that if they weren't sure about McCarthy, January or December is the time to do it, to give the new manager a chance to make his own mark on the squad.

It also means they're going to have to rush to find a new manager, as the longer they go without one, the higher the chance of the team just getting worse. I would have thought they can't have sacked McCarthy without having someone else already ready to appoint, surely?

I think it's a little harsh on McCarthy, they've been poor lately, but he's been overachieving with them for a while.

This could turn out to be great move, or it could end up condemning them to relegation. The chairman has put himself in a sticky situation though, if they stay up he'll be praised as being tough enough to make difficult decisions, but if they go down he could be blamed for making a knee-jerk reaction (which I think it is to be fair.)

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Sadly, I don't think there are any candidates out there who can save Wolves from relegation. They're a pretty average team of journeymen players who'd need a Martin O'Neill type manager to make them really punch above their weight.

Worse, the new manager will be unable to change the squad until the end of the season.

Another example of stupid kneejerk management at boardroom level, without really thinking about how it might affect the club over the coming months. McCarthy was probably Wolves best bet of staying up. I could see them avoiding the drop by the skin of their teeth during the last couple of games. Things are so tight that any of the bottom 5 could stay up by goal difference alone and 13 games is a fair amount of time to turn things around in the circumstances.

As it is I think the Wolves board has doomed them to relegation. I almost hope they do go down now, just to teach them a lesson. They only needed to look at QPR to see that changing the manager doesn't guarantee a turnaround in fortunes.

I agree with this synopsis, I think he would have pulled them out of it again, and then perhaps the end of the season was the opportunity to bring in someone to take them to the next level.

It was either that, or do it in January when the new man can do something about the squad!

There really isn't a standout candidate at this moment to me.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

I don't see who is out there who can come do a job with that squad. We did similar last year getting rid of Di Matteo, and we fell on our feet with Hodgson being available and interested as he was exactly what we needed, tightening up our defence whilst not losing any of our attacking style.

I'm hoping for Steve Bull to get the job Very Happy

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

What a stupid decision.

I still would've backed him to get them out of the relegation zone.

Most teams suffer the 2nd season syndrome. Reading, Wigan, West Ham and Bolton all suffered it. Whilst Reading went down, the other 3 survived. If they just hung in there with him, he might have turned it around.

Bruce as favourite with Warnock?

I think they should plumpt for Holloway. A guy that can get things going on the pitch and off it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm

Holloway is a good call, but Blackpool are looking pretty good in the Championship at the moment. Would he want to risk going down with Wolves over getting Blackpool back up?

Thinking about the decision, it just strikes me as a bit knee-jerk, coming a day after an admittedly humiliating defeat.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

Not surprised at all, thought it was a nailed on certainty that he'd get the bullet after yesterdays capitulation, if it was anyone else other than the Baggies he might have survived but not many managers will survive a brutal beating at home to the hands of their biggest rivals.

I'm on the fence with this to be honest, on the one hand I can see the argument for him staying, he took them up and has a proven record of survival with Wolves but when does that stop being enough? Last season he survived by the skin of their teeth on the last day, there has been no improvement what so ever, I can understand first maybe even second season being all about surviving but there comes a point when you have to aim higher and produce better results, the bootom half of the Premiership isn't daunting, it's not filled with big teams, all the teams Wolves should feel they are at the very least an equal too

I do believe Wolves would get out of trouble again this season and I still do but all they have seemed intent on doing under McCarthy is existing, that's not ambition in my book and I can easily see why the Wolves Chairman has finally run out of patience with him, if they go down then it's as much McCarthy's fault for the season they've had as it will be for the Chairman sacking him at this stage in the season

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

Just heard that in the last 22 games they've only mustered 14 points, I'm sorry but when you go into the closing stage of the season that kind of form kills you

I'd like to see a new guy get a chance., not the same old faces brigade, a good young British Championship manager

Billy Davies deserves a crack for me, worked wonders at Derby and Forest, you see how Preston and Forest collapsed when he left and it was absolutely abysmal hiw he was treated at Derby, he was a victim of his own success

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

But then as a Rovers fan I say look at us getting spanked last week 7-1 and then winning this week 3-2. Results can change just like that. McCarthy deserved to stay till the end.

Hiring Davies will almost confirm that the side are set for life in the Championship. Not sure how many chairmen would want to go down that road. Davies is a class act and good at building squads. This is a fire extinquishing job that requires someone that knows how to fight and grind out results. Davies is more long term.

Though it worked with Newcastle and Pardew. No reason why Davies couldn't have the same impact.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 13 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

McCarthy is a useless Premiership manager, he was hopeless at Sunderland and he has been hopeless at Wolves.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon 13 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Smacks of knee jerk from Steve Morgan to me. Yesterday's result will haunt me for years but i found it hard to blame Mick for that performance because our whole side was awful. It wasnt his performance that was below par. I wouldn't have minded if this decision had been made two months ago when we could have taken our pick of Hughes or O'neil. Now? There's no major candidates are there.

Alan Crbishley is aparently a favourite which concerns me. The guy hasnt managed for four years, so can he really be trusted with keeping my side in the division? For me, I'd like either Holloway, Bruce or Hughton. All three have experience of relegation fights.

Good luck Mick, I for one will always be grateful for what you've done for Wolves.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 13 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

legendkillar wrote:But then as a Rovers fan I say look at us getting spanked last week 7-1 and then winning this week 3-2. Results can change just like that. McCarthy deserved to stay till the end.

Hiring Davies will almost confirm that the side are set for life in the Championship. Not sure how many chairmen would want to go down that road. Davies is a class act and good at building squads. This is a fire extinquishing job that requires someone that knows how to fight and grind out results. Davies is more long term.

Though it worked with Newcastle and Pardew. No reason why Davies couldn't have the same impact.

It should be obvious but away to arsenal with 10 men isn't quite the same as being at home to West Brom.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Feb 2012, 3:46 pm

Ent wrote:
legendkillar wrote:But then as a Rovers fan I say look at us getting spanked last week 7-1 and then winning this week 3-2. Results can change just like that. McCarthy deserved to stay till the end.

It should be obvious but away to arsenal with 10 men isn't quite the same as being at home to West Brom.

I was talking about how results can change!

Read before commenting.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

Thought the guy was a moron.......

Started a slippery slope when he played his b team against Utd......They should have lost points for that!!

Next he's moaning about the fans booing him.....

Don't ever criticise you're own fans..

5-1 at home to anybody is bad but to garbage like WBA...

good timing by the Chairman..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

That United game was two years ago! Get over it.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

Following the relegation from a neutral perspective (always the best), I couldn't see any reason why Wolves would turn their performances around, and that relegation was most likely, unless the teams around them performed worse (/ performed even more "incompetently" - I am using this in the relative sense). That is, I couldn't see McCarthy inspiring the players sufficiently, or imbueing them with tactically astute game plans, that would cause them to get out of this situation on their own merit.

I can see QPR doing this on their own merit, and I can possibly see Blackburn stumbling across the line (but not necessarily helped by Steve Kean - i am not entirely convinced he is a premiership quality manager yet).

However with the sacking of McCarthy - Wolves still need to be prepared for the possibility of relegation, so that if they do get relegated they are still in a good position to get back up again in the following season or two. As far as I can tell Bolton are not in a good position financially, so when and if they go down, it might be for some time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Yesterday was the day the manager lost the dressing room. If that happens you need to change your manager, no matter what part of the season it is. I thought he did a good job but his players and him to a certain extent looked broken and didn't know what to do with themselves. Wolves have some decent players like O'Hara, Fletcher, Doyle, Jarvis and Roger Johnson and to me it's a wonder why they are where they are. Alan Curbishly would be my pick, great coach and could really boots morale there.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

martyr_94 wrote: ... Alan Curbishly would be my pick, great coach and could really boots morale there.
Great call! He performed outstandingly well for both Charlton and West Ham in the premiership, given the circumstances of the respective clubs. I haven't a clue why he hasn't already returned to Premiership / Championship football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 13 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
martyr_94 wrote: ... Alan Curbishly would be my pick, great coach and could really boots morale there.
Great call! He performed outstandingly well for both Charlton and West Ham in the premiership, given the circumstances of the respective clubs. I haven't a clue why he hasn't already returned to Premiership / Championship football.

Always rated him, the job he did at West Ham like you said when all that nonsense was going on is testament to the guy. Personally thought QPR would go for him. I think he's always said there wasn't a job that really interested him so whether this will I don't know but he's up there with Martin O'neil for me

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

I'm over it Sonny!!! However the fact remains If everybody played their B team against Chelsea or Utd....

The premiership would be a waste of time....

Anyway he'll probably get the Bolton job in a couple of weeks......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

Why would a Queen of the South fan be offended by what team Wolves put out against Man U?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm over it Sonny!!! However the fact remains If everybody played their B team against Chelsea or Utd....

The premiership would be a waste of time....

Anyway he'll probably get the Bolton job in a couple of weeks......

So when Man Utd and Chelsea turn out there B teams in the Carling Cup and FA Cup is that still a waste of time....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

They put out teams they think can win!!!!!!

Wolves B team put out to win against Man U???

do me a favor..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They put out teams they think can win!!!!!!

do me a favor..

If I remember rightly they lost 2-1 away at United on the Wednesday (or Tuesday) and then won an important game against Wigan (I think) on the Saturday. That is just good tactics, managers target games to win and in reality this helped Wolves stay up.

Also didn't Man Utd B lose to Crystal Palace this year.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:42 pm

Good tactics??????..So it's right for the bottom teams to decide who's going to win the league is it??

So let's play all our first teams against Chelsea, Arsenal and city and give Utd the title!!!!

It's immoral Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good tactics??????..So it's right for the bottom teams to decide who's going to win the league is it??

So let's play all our first teams against Chelsea, Arsenal and city and give Utd the title!!!!

It's immoral Mate..

I know it is but unfortunately it is the way of the world for some of these teams.

Not for Super Norwich who are going to thump Man United at Carrow Road on the 26th Yahoo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good tactics??????..So it's right for the bottom teams to decide who's going to win the league is it??

It's immoral Mate..

have a word with yourself

They have a 25 man squad for a reason, its the managers right to pick which ever team he wants,

The same as the big teams decide relegation by putting second teams against some of the the smaller teams depending if they have a champions league match mid week.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

That's why he got fined then...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:That's why he got fined then...

He got fined because we have people in charge of the game who have the football IQ of a pack of Doritos Doh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

A fine for a rule which has been changed by the FA because the rule made the 25 man squad redundant.

What about the big teams effectively deciding who gets relegated when they choose to play teams of youngsters not even second strings.

Or is this just an acceptable part of football, as that is how your coming across by ignoring that point.

Last edited by Nay Bother on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon 13 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

Pipe down "Sonny".

yep, he got fined but since then the rule has been changed to reflect the right to use any of the 25 players. In short, the FA realised they made a mistake and in that instance Mick was right to do what he did. We got a vital three points four days after that match.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:03 pm

It was the club that got a suspended fine not the manager.

The PL rules state that every club must field a full strength side in all top flight matches.
Who decides what is every clubs best side?
As long as the team picked is from the 25 registered first team players that should be acceptable.
You could argue that Man City's best side has to include Silva and Aguero but the PL don't fine them when either or both aren't in the team

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They put out teams they think can win!!!!!!

do me a favor..

A Football manager has a duty to do his best for the club and use his ideas to get his team the best chance to win as many points as possible

If you have a monumental game away to EPL champions and a home game a few days later againt your relegation rivals it's beyond stupid to assume you'd put out your strongest team in a game you'd be not likely to win and risk injury to one of your better players who are likely to do you a job in the game you have a great chance of winning

Mick McCarthy did the right thing for his club. Not yours, Utd's or anyone else's but his own club and was vindicated a few days later when his team won the relegation battle

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

Surely McCarthy was vindicated by that decision when they went and won the game after comfortably? He did what was right for the club.

Remember he said after the interview that he'd made another 11 changes, so would they fine the club again? He had a great point.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

Look..like most tribal fans you'd be the first to complain If Chelsea got a Woves b team on wednesday and then got a point at old trafford with the 1st on Saturday....

Should have let his fans know in advance as I'm sure most wouldn't have gone to old trafford that night...

After all the fans were livid.....Here is me thinking the fans were the lifeblood of any club...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

ridiclous decision to sack him however, in this day and age no one is ever safe in their manageiral positions.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:16 pm

Not sure why people think he is a bad manager.

Look what he did with ROI and that wasn't the best squad of players they had. I mean crap Kerr and Staunton failed with better.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

#mccarthyforengland

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Tue 14 Feb 2012, 12:05 am

I think you'd have to look of McCarthy's entire reign as a success. You now begin to think of Wolves as a Premiership team, as opposed to when I was growing up Div1/Championship team and that these are probably Wolves best days since the 1970's.

However McCarthy has been given the money and the time to move the team on to a Fulham/Stoke level, mid-table security and he's never got there. Never been relegated either, but sometimes you've got to take a chance and hope it works out.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:50 pm

McCarthy has for a while depended on the same players the last few seasons.

Doyle, Hunt, Henry, Jarvis etc. He doesn't bring in enough youngsters to the team and they have too many holes in defence. I really liked some of Wolves performances against big teams last season, but this season they can't perform against anyone. Right decision unfortunatel.y
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

Story on BBC sport that Alan Curbishley has withdrawn himself from the running for the Wolves job, leaving Steve Bruce as the favourite...

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2F0%2Ffootball%2F17098513&h=iAQH6ijP9AQF9WAJnHRF1DAEgHwL3Se5ZzchANqnGTiExsw

I'm pretty gutted about this really. having looked at the Stats Curbishley really seemed to be the best option for Wolves, But apparently he has withdrawn due to concerns about Steve Morgan's aspirations for the club. In a nut shell I think Morgan doesn't fancy spending the money needed, which in all fairness is a major contributor to where we are now...the relegation zone.

Personally, I would love for us to take a gamble and go for Lee Clark. Had a great record with Huddersfield, one of the most sought after managers in the football league, plus he knows all about the premiership from his playing career.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Theyre actually looking towards Roy Keane now which would rub salt into the wounds for McCarthy

As an Irish Utd fan I was very much against him after 2002 but what he did at Wolves won me over he just failed to build on his successes he needed more steel and spark in centre midfield and never got it after O'Hara was injured

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

packofwolves wrote:I'm pretty gutted about this really. having looked at the Stats Curbishley really seemed to be the best option for Wolves, But apparently he has withdrawn due to concerns about Steve Morgan's aspirations for the club. In a nut shell I think Morgan doesn't fancy spending the money needed, which in all fairness is a major contributor to where we are now...the relegation zone.
Is this an admission from Curbishly that he could do no better than Mick McCarthy under present circumstances? Or is this more to do with competing regularly for European honours (aiming for top 8 - 6 place and a place in the Uefa cup - like Stoke (this year), and Fulham (last year)).

ps Curbishly's son was reported in having said that his father was "desperate" to get back into management. If this is the case, it's not clear why he turned this opportunity down - there can't be much better job opportunities available in the short to medium term - unless he has his eye on the Tottenham job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

As an Irish Utd fan I was very much against him after 2002
Keane was the one insulting and provoking McCarthy and tried to undermine the manager..I am a neutral in this as I don't mind Keane or McCarthy, it was right to exclude Keane from the team if you read what he is reported to have said! furious
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

"Reading manager Brian McDermott has emerged as the leading contender to succeed Mick McCarthy as Wolves manager, BBC Sport understands." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17112269

Not sure whether this news can be squared with the earlier statement:
"Wolves want a manager with plenty of experience to succeed Mick McCarthy, according to chief executive Jez Moxey. ... "It is not a job for a novice," Moxey told BBC Radio 5 live." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17019094

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

McDermott.........that's embarrasing! If I was a Wolves fan I would be fuming, basically he's like fourth or fifth choice! Shocking if he's appointed but then again Wolves have an appalling squad of players and a relegation would probably do them the world of good like it did for Newcastle United.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next