The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laird and Rose

4 posters

Go down

Laird and Rose Empty Laird and Rose

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:42 pm

Martin Laird I believe is a product of the US collegiate system, therefore understandable why he prefers the PGA. Rose a player who many thought had a great future seems to have slipped backwards over the last 3-years. Yes he's won plenty of cash on the PGA tour C$4m last year I believe. I also believe he's nearing the end of a re-engineering process, but feel he will struggle to ever take a major. Has Rose gone backwards because of his PGA preference? He lead going into yesterdays final day at the Transitions, and should have had a great chance seeing as it wasn't a top field. He threw away shots on 4 consecutive holes to end his challenge. This event should have been a massive confidence and game booster before Bay Hill and Augusta, but now just another pay day.

Martin Laird should have bright future over there, and maybe not so good over here, but we'll see later this year. Luke was also a product of the US collegiate system, and has now improved enough to not only challenge in PGA events, but amass a nice c$8.5m in the states last year, and be able to adapt and win on the ET now. Justin could well be only in it for the money, which is obviously his choice, but I feel he's a wasted talent because of his move.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Laird and Rose Empty Re: Laird and Rose

Post by goldwolf Mon 21 Mar 2011, 4:39 pm

Doc, have to say I'm slightly confused how you come to the conclusion that Rose has gone backwards? He has been a member of the PGA Tour for a few years now and 2010 was his most successful, with 2 wins (which was very nearly 3 in a row!). Yes his final round yesterday was poor but all in all he's doing pretty well?

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 21 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Goldy, Yes he had a great 2010 by his standards and only just missed out on the RC, but has flattered to decieve. His first couple of years over the pond were a learning curve and it looked like he was going to make a breakthrough, but really only got there at the back end of last season. My own view is that someone who showed so much early promise, hasn't made it, in spite of a good 2010. The finish he had to last season was very good and should have put him in great shape for this season, but it's not happened and in fact he's not as good as last year. He should have closed yesterdays game out with that feild, as there was only really Watney from the top end.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 21 Mar 2011, 6:08 pm

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one Doc. To win twice in a year on any tour, particularly the PGA Tour is a very good return and few players do it. Yes, he will be very annoyed by yesterday but it happens.

The first few holes I saw he played great stuff tee to green but just couldn't get the putts in then I would guess that he tried to chase the game too much. But not the sign of a cheque chaser.

Unfortunately he has always had an up and down career. Not sure why this is but this year 7 events with no cuts missed, 6 top 25s including 2 top 10s isn't bad and obviously last year in the PGA Tour was pretty impressive.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 21 Mar 2011, 8:46 pm

Hmm I'm still not sure I'm with you Doc, after the start to his pro career (21 missed cuts in a row) I think he's done pretty well for himself.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 22 Mar 2011, 8:57 am

Cannot warm to laird in the slightest done even see him as a brit so won't really comment there.

Rose initially I think got carried away on the crest of the wave that was his 4th place as an Am in the Open championship.

21. Consecutive missed cuts and then showed strength of character to keep working hard and believing in himself to carve out a career in both europe and the USA is fantastic. He has won the european OM. Now after several years working on his game lately under Foley he won back to back titles and just missed out on 3 in a row. He is now I feel starting to fulfill his early potential and good luck to him yes he had a mid round blip this week but you can say the same for Casey after his first round. For me the next brit to win a major will be Luke or Justin because of their character and self belief

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down