The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+77
number1hacker
lorus59
4putt
matelot golfer
jockneyboy
Simba
mystiroakey
Mary
No1yankee
tarka
Marcus
oldparwin
Shotrock
JAS
hend085
shclaff
jeffkenna
1GrumpyGolfer
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
Eyetoldyouso
Rangiora
JohnnyH
puligny
Humpyd
Bob_the_Job
Sand
Bagman
super_realist
Diggers
Adam D
Yadsendew
Hibbz
baboo800
Skydriver
cornwell74
beninho
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
dynamark
JPX
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
The_Phenom
raycastleunited
Baggiesfan_golfer
Rossa
BlueCoverman
DazBoredAtWork
birdie
Redrage
Doon the Water
Onetoanother
GG
5531stuart
sharrison01
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
liegerwoods
Nay
haystongolfer
graeme
Lairdy
Mercurio
McLaren
Caf
Noshankingtonite
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
goldwolf
LadyPutt
Doc
GWR-Golfer
Maverick
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
Davie
81 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Sun 20 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

.. or yesterday or whenever your last game happened.

I played this morning - just a bounce game with one of my regular partners.

There had been a big competition yesterday at the club so the course was a bit quieter today than one might expect for a Sunday. 11:20 tee off as a two-ball and lots of other two balls out there with a couple of quick 4-balls so pace of play was brisk.

Those who have read my posts recently will know that I've been suffering with a nasty foot/ankle injury for a few months and it's just great to be out there at all at the moment. Thankfully the foot came through with flying colours though I think I've been favouring it for the last couple of weeks still and after the game today my knee was playing up but with luck that will just be a temporary setback.

A glorious day though in the Thames Valley with above average temperatures and the course was in remarkable nick for mid March.

The match itself was close for a long way. I felt I was playing reasonably well after not playing much of the winter and after losing the 2nd I levelled it on the 3rd and was one up after nine. Though I felt I was playing better than my opponent I couldn't shake him and he hung in there until I went 2 up on 15. Closed it out on 16 but was made to work for it.

Although it was matchplay I kept an estimated Stableford score and came in with 32 (estimated) points which I wasn't too disappointed with given lack of recent regular play. One NR and a couple of holes where a 3 pointer was well withing my grasp and ended with 1 point (short game was actually pretty good apart from those two nightmares)

Now looking forward to next weekend and a Stableford competition where I've been drawn with last year's captain and next year's!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Rossa Sat 14 May 2011, 4:23 pm

Just played my best ever round of golf... 82 in the medal for a net 65, probably won, probably qualified for the 2012 final medal at the first opportunity, cut to 15.0 (from 16.5) at least...

10 days using the explanar and this is the result... fantastic, just played very tidily...never in any sticky situations
8 fairways
5 greens
31 putts

Had a minor wobble making 5 on the par 3 14th but finished solidly with bogie, birdie, par...

Thoroughly satisfied with myself Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Maverick Sat 14 May 2011, 6:02 pm

Nice one Rossa well played good to hear a victory has resulted from your hard graft

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 14 May 2011, 7:16 pm

Well done Rossa - good to hear things are clicking. I know you were disappointed with your 606 eclectic result.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 14 May 2011, 8:55 pm

Friendly knockabout today with some friends. No scores kept but not really happy with the way I drove the ball. Estimated about +6 or +7 over handicap and almost all of those lost shots could be blamed on bad tee shots. The rest of the game wasn't too bad and LOTS of putts that could have dropped but didn't which would have given me a score that was probably undeserved.

C medal tomorrow so if the driver gets back into shape I'd have much more chance

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 14 May 2011, 11:38 pm

First medal round of the year today (monthly stableford in winter) and was chuffed to come in one under handicap. Good enough to take the swindle pot but only 4th at the time of finishing in the comp overall. Left a few out there still (including a 3 putt par) but it's coming together and new irons are great. Should mean a small cut, which if nothing else removes pressure of possibility of getting to highest ever hcp.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Sun 15 May 2011, 9:12 am

os,

I started fast but faded badly... Sad in the eclectic... there's always next year!

Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 15 May 2011, 2:06 pm

"Tell us about your game today..."

I'd rather not thanks.

Where's the cat gone? Here kitty kitty... Daddy has a size ten for you.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 15 May 2011, 2:27 pm

I was going to comment, but thought better of it.

I value my anatomy too much! :run2:
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 15 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Nah. I'm reserving it for the first cat I see on the street.

I'm probably being a bit harsh. I played the par 5's in 3 under... and hit a lot of good shots. But there was a fair amount of dodgy stuff as well.

It'll come.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 15 May 2011, 5:19 pm

Bad day for me too - no further comment necessary Sad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 15 May 2011, 5:35 pm

Good day for me! 1 over 73 (off the yellows) for 40 points and good enough to take the money in the Sunday swindle!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Sun 15 May 2011, 6:29 pm

Rossa wrote:Just played my best ever round of golf... 82 in the medal for a net 65, probably won, probably qualified for the 2012 final medal at the first opportunity, cut to 15.0 (from 16.5) at least...

10 days using the explanar and this is the result... fantastic, just played very tidily...never in any sticky situations
8 fairways
5 greens
31 putts

Had a minor wobble making 5 on the par 3 14th but finished solidly with bogie, birdie, par...

Thoroughly satisfied with myself Smile

Results in:

Won by 4, had one of only two 2s out of 29 entrants so £40 plus in the pro shop and a cut to 14.7... Spendid weekend king
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sun 15 May 2011, 8:16 pm

Represented my club in first ever match yesterday; 4-ball better ball away at Puckrup Hall in Tewkesbury (el Floodo Zono). Myself and 16 handicapper versus the club captain (off 10) and a 13 handicapper. All square coming down the 14th, I birdied a par 5, birdied the subsequent par-4 and parred the 16th to win 3 and 2. The captain turns to me and says 'you are taking the p1ss off 17 aren't you son - are you trying to rile me or what!' I love these friendly club comps. He still bought me a pint after though Yahoo
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Sun 15 May 2011, 9:05 pm

What a bell end... you should have said, "Yes, i live to urine off captains by beating them on their own course..."

Last edited by Rossa on Sun 15 May 2011, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : originally used the work cock which was changed to chicken... looked wierd)
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 16 May 2011, 12:49 pm

Very long day for me yesterday. Scratch team knockout match, up at 5:30 to get up to Bracknell for 8:30 start.

Foursomes in the morning went to the 19th then singles in the afternoon went to the 20th. Won both games and team won overall beating last year's runners up so all in all, a good day.

Funniest thing was, forgot to change the battery on my trolley at lunch time, my 18 hole battery was still going strong after 39 holes!!!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 16 May 2011, 1:02 pm

drive4show wrote:Very long day for me yesterday. Scratch team knockout match, up at 5:30 to get up to Bracknell for 8:30 start.

Foursomes in the morning went to the 19th then singles in the afternoon went to the 20th. Won both games and team won overall beating last year's runners up so all in all, a good day.

Funniest thing was, forgot to change the battery on my trolley at lunch time, my 18 hole battery was still going strong after 39 holes!!!

Which course were you playing in Bracknell? And against who?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 16 May 2011, 1:08 pm

I'm a little shocked that there was no team bus provided for a journey like that. It's a bit of a slog and with the price of petrol it might have been more efficient for the team to hire a mini-bus and a driver for the day.

It also allows for excessive drinking after the game and in the bus on the way back.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 16 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Davie

We played against North Hants at East Berkshire, right on your doorstep!!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 16 May 2011, 3:55 pm

Oh right - I'd forgotten about East Berks - I think of that as Crowethorn, not Bracknell. The only Bracknell course I could think of was Downshire. East Berks very close to my own course though!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 16 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Has anyone with a mid to low single figure handicap ever managed to only hit 4 GIR?

Well I have, and it sucked.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 16 May 2011, 4:25 pm

yes. I once hit only 3 GIR in a medal round and put the ball into 15 greenside traps. I three putted every green I hit in regulation and got up and down out of every bunker.

Bloody confusing round that.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 16 May 2011, 4:32 pm

The four I hit were from no more than 100 yards out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 16 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Can't recall exact yardages... but I would imagine that one would have been from 100 in, the others I have no clue about. Only reason I know that one in particular is that there is no way to get up and down from the only greeenside trap on that hole.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 17 May 2011, 9:12 am

wall-to-wall golf at the weekend.

saturday, 1st round of singles matchplay. was striking it well, giving myself loads of opportunities but 6 putts missed inside 4ft was the difference between what could have been a nailed-on win and the 2&1 loss that actually was. my opponent played pretty well, and the 12 shots i gave him were used to great effect. i finished 8 over for the round, which considering the putting chaos, was probably not too bad - plenty room for improvement.

re-grouped in the afternoon and nipped out for 12 holes and shot 2 under, nothing spectacular, just a couple of par 5 birdies some solid par golf on the 4s, and a nice 2.

sunday, went out in the medal. course was playing tough with a 1-2 club breeze. again was striking the ball well, but ending up in loads of greenside bunkers. only hit 6 GIR, but was within a few yards of 9/12 of the remaining greens and scrambled well to finish 5 over, and tied 7th out of 156. surprised the css didn't go up, but there was some low scores from the first dozen groups who had it fairly calm that set the tone. still, another cut so fairly pleased with the weekends work despite the singles exit.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 17 May 2011, 9:04 pm

Rossa wrote:What a bell end... you should have said, "Yes, i live to urine off captains by beating them on their own course..."

Cheers Rossa and well done to you! Excellent stuff. Hey we're geographically not that far from eachother, could meet up for a round somewhere if you like. We're fairly evenly matched (providing I can get the flat-stick to behave) Rolling Eyes
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 17 May 2011, 9:45 pm

Tuesday evening again. Not too different from last week. Still hitting the ball quite well, but direction is poor, every iron shot is leaking right!

Didn't win again, but my playing partners are on fire at the moment. It'll come......I hope.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 21 May 2011, 9:04 pm

Got a call last night from the society I used to belong to, telling me there was a space today at Silvermere they needed to fill. Offered my the members rate (not guest rate) - so at 40 quid including a breakfast I chose to play

Lovely day, superb weather and a course that is always fun to play (though the greens were very fluffy and bobbly - more like March greens than May ones)

Some good golfers there but the course must've played quite tough (probably the fluffy greens) - the event was won by only 33pts (I scored 29) - so not too disappointed.

For anyone familiar with Silvermere, I played the last two potential card wreckers quite well.

Back to my home course tomorrow for a friendly knockabout to practice for a midweek medal Wednesday

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 21 May 2011, 9:32 pm

Only played 9 holes this afternoon with 2 mates as we have a match tomorrow and we're playing 36.

Betterball we went eagle, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, birdie, par, par, birdie.

Hope we play like that tomorrow when it matters!!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 22 May 2011, 8:01 pm

Nice little friendly game today.

First 18 holes for my regular playing partner for 7-8 months after a mystery illness and he struggled somewhat but was just pleased to get 18 in.

I started badly (again) and struggled through the first 9 to 16 points which probably flattered to deceive but 21 points on the back nine gave me my best overall total for a couple of months. Net pars on 16 and 17 (two real card-killers) were satisfying and a nice (gross) birdie on the par-5 last made for a good finish.

40mph winds helped up the last for the birdie but my 21 points on the back nine in those conditions (where the wind only really helped on two holes) was very pleasing. Now onto a midweek medal Wednesday

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiesfan_golfer Tue 24 May 2011, 6:17 pm

Strange round for me on Saturday

Played the first 14 holes very solid, hit 11 greens but despite having numerous birdie chances racked up 14 successive pars
Then walked to the easiest hole on tge course (140yrd simple par 3)
Pulled my tee shot into the bushes and walked off with a double
Then decided to bogey the last 3 to go around in 75 (+5)
very disappointed overall playing off my current handicap of 2.4

12/18 greens
9/13 fairways
34 putts

Back to the putting green mad

Baggiesfan_golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 24 May 2011, 8:37 pm

Baggies:
I should feel sorry for you but a) you've reached a higher standard than I will ever achieve as long as I've a hole in me @rse and b) at least your team will be in EPL next season, unlike mine Cry
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 May 2011, 10:40 pm

Played two holes, realised the rain was not going to stop. Went back to car. Drove home and that was that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 24 May 2011, 11:04 pm

Rain - I've forgotten what that is like.

The course is looking very dry and brown at the moment, mind you, the greens are not bad.

Usual Tuesday bounce game after work and today I won! I came back in 41 (off 18) and was pleased with that, although it really should have been even better. But I was hitting the ball nicely tonight and have decided to take my own advice and forget about trying to hit every thing with a draw, That is just not my shot. So I accepted the high fade on every iron and fairway wood and went with the flow. Very Happy
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 25 May 2011, 4:28 pm

Took a day off work today to play a midweek stableford.

Played pretty well for 15 holes (around about level to my handicap) and was just off the front of the long, difficult par5 16th in 3.

Took a further 5 shots to get down from there (a duffed chip and 4 putts) - and then went on to make a hash of the par3 17th too.

18th was OK and so finished with 31 points (just one outside my buffer zone)

So feeling a bit deflated at the moment - 16 holes pretty good and just 2 "mares" to spoil it at the end.

On a happy note my mate who was playing his first comp in about 8 months after a mystery illness won in with 38 points. Just to rub salt in the wounds he said afterwards he didn't think he was hitting the ball that well - just had a putter that was on fire and chipped in twice for 2s so he's in the money for that also!

I think the drinks are on him tonight

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 27 May 2011, 7:18 am

Oldshanker has asked me to post how Mavette got on in her medal comp last weekend which turns out it was a 2 day 36hole medal comp called the Junior Cup apparently mrs mav did tell me this before I went of for surgery but I seem to have in my nurse and JD & Painkiller induced stupour forgotten Whistle

Cant report to much on how she faired on course as I was doing to my best to play the perfect patient from Friday through to Tuesday, but she tells me she missed 3fairways (she wasn't happy with that) she made 2birdies(tells me should have been 5) that was Saturdays round which cumlnitaed in a net 66.

Sundays round she said was 1fairway missed(again she was not happy as it put her out of position, to say the girls a perfctionist is an understatement no idea where she gets that from Rolling Eyes ) Only the 1 birdie but a hand full of pars, to finish up with a net 65.

So another 2 cracking round going by her score, unfortunately not good enough though, because in the good weather someone went lower and she finshed a close second overall losing out by a single shot.

She has now had her handicap cut to 14 . (No bad considering she has only been a member for a short period and on taget for her 12 she set herself by her 12th birthday) I think this may be her plateau handicap as her score all seem to be around this number, and will be good for her to experience what it's like to shoot handicap and have to work to get below it.

She has also been asked by the lady captain to go along with the ladies team this Saturday to a Ladies club match at an away course ( Sheerness) as a reserve, it mean she wont get to represent them (yet) but she will get to play against the other teams reserves in a non competitive game after the actual matches have gone out ahead of her, which is good as she has no matchplay experience. She is also going to be playing for the Junior side in 2 weeks time, wich I will get Mrs Mav to drive me tothe course for and hopefully can get the Junior Organiser to ferry me round in a buggy.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 27 May 2011, 9:09 am

Good news Mav, as you say she will probably level out between 8 to 12 handicap this year, not a bad thing as she learns the game.
You can help by setting rules quizs and explaining the strategy of the game.

Biggest lesson my daughter learned was course strategy in playing lessons with the pro. When she was 13 and playing off 4 the Pro told her that she must be a fantastic player to play off 4 because she thinks like 24.

Is Mavette involved in the Ladies County development, not sure what county you are, but the ladies are generally much better than the men in getting the girls involved at a higher level. She will meet a few 'bitches' , young and old, along the way as part of the experience.

Probably not a good idea to follow he round the course, let her get on with it. The other juniors don't take too kindly to parents following a match.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 27 May 2011, 9:51 am

Doon:

I will likely follow scores from the bar area! Get her to let me know how she got on afterwards.

The new Junior Organiser have discussed her development, and he has put her forward for county development training with the Kent girls youth setup from June. Its the kent girls she'll be going with and there training facilites are only a 20minute drive from where we live and they run those sessions fairly regurlarly, Also looking at getting her a membership to Rochester and Cobham they have a great youth set-up and a girls team she can try to fight her way into.

Also helps a good friend of mine and my brothers best mate is head of Hertfordshire youth coaching, and he is taking some time with Mavette and my brother lad to help them with managing the course, I'm being a helpful rather than pushy parent offering only Boobie bits of advice and answers to questions she puts to me and allowing her development through the proper channels rather than pushing her.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 27 May 2011, 11:14 am

Boobie bits of advice??? That swear filter comes up with some interesting suggestions sometimes!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 27 May 2011, 11:22 am

why is there a swear filter anyway? And surely t i t isn't even a swearword!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 27 May 2011, 11:26 am

We have a swear filter because not everyone can be trusted to behave themselves.

I'd agree with you though about that word. Not sure why that is included

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 27 May 2011, 11:30 am

Didn't even check after I posted it! Why on earth is t i t on the filter because boobie advice seems a far worse thing to suggest im giving my daughter

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 27 May 2011, 6:14 pm

OK Thanks Mav - It's nice to get updates and she is coming on a storm. As you say, the first plateau must be looming soon and that will be a telling time.

Hope the bit of swelling you got from the hospital is subsiding. Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 29 May 2011, 12:31 pm

I suppose boobies are missspelt birds.
I wonder if it would filter for Kate Humble's Blue Boobies

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 29 May 2011, 8:46 pm

I had a great game today. Didn't hit a single bad shot. Of course i overslept and never made it to the course.... But at least there was no dodgy swinging at all. Whistle
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon 30 May 2011, 9:23 pm

Played in a Shotgun scramble today - we shot a net 56, only came 2nd. Missed a hole-in-one by less than an inch.

It was a "nearly" day Smile
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 30 May 2011, 10:00 pm

GWR-Golfer wrote:Played in a Shotgun scramble today - we shot a net 56, only came 2nd. Missed a hole-in-one by less than an inch.

It was a "nearly" day Smile

In a scramble, can everyone in the group claim to have had a hole in one?? Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 30 May 2011, 10:18 pm

last time i played they divied up the prize money 4 ways for 2s despite both of them being mine - only 15 quid instead of 60 ... great fun all the same, and they were all very grateful!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

Had a very pleasant, last minute arranged, 18 holes at North Weald (OK) with LJ and El Ringo yesterday.

I played to my handicap (nearly), LJ was work in progress and El Ringo played close to the line, occasionally stepping over it and once bouncing over it. I don't know for certain, but I think I might have won! By the way LJ - it really is time your snatched that insy winsy back out of his cold dead hands! Shocked
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm

Had a lovely apres work dozen holes tonight; probably could have squeezed 18 in, but had a fat b@stard and his mate who I shall call '3 practice swings and you're still sh1te' in front of me. It's times like this you wish you either had a) a harpoon gun or b) SR with you to lambast the gluttonous cake eating tw@t dawdling in front of you..... Anyway, trying to get in the mindset for Bournemouth - swapped my Ping cap for a knotted hankie for starters and then pictured myself at Meyrick Park. Hardly used the Godiva focused on keeping the ball on short stuff; 58 after 12 holes isn't bad for me. Striking the 3-wood and hybrid well off the tee, left a few mid-range putts a bit short, but it's defo getting there Smile
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:10 am

Played in the weekly club night of the yellows last night and the more I play the more I don't see the point. I had 34 points through 14 holes and was only enough to finish 4th. Every week some high handicapper comes in with a redicolous score this week was 36. Up until this week we only played 11 holes and the usual winning score is around 29/30 point mark. So for me to get around 30 points of a 12 handicap I would need to shoot 1 under par gross. On the bright side I played pretty well but my long game has gone so weak recently and i'm lucky that i'm holing everything atm.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next