The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th

+22
TRUSSMAN66
azania
NathanDB10
Steffan
BritnDub
Daz
Rowley
KingMonkey
Herman Jaeger
OasisBFC
Imperial Ghosty
superflyweight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
Valero's Conscience
ShahenshahG
manos de piedra
DoubleD22
Knowsit17
Seanusarrilius
26 posters

Go down

Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th Empty Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 1 Feb - 18:30

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-vs-cotto-confirmed-5th-mgm-grand--49148

Discuss!

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th Empty Re: Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 1 Feb - 18:34

By no means a bad fight to make but could have happened long ago.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th Empty Re: Mayweather v Cotto confirmed May 5th

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 1 Feb - 18:35

I assume this is at 154, Mayweather late KO on cuts

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 1 Feb - 18:42

Nice to Cotto split from Arum now & Glad to see Arum not getting his way.

Truly good for the sport!

id go with mayweather wide UD on this one.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 1 Feb - 18:48

Good fight if its at 154 I think. Probably should have happened at welter several years ago. Would have preffered to see Cotto/Alvarez for LMW supremacy with Mayweather fighting the winner but with options limited this isnt a bad choice.

Going to be interesting to how the Mayweather die hards go 360 degrees on Cotto now. Will the washed up, overrated quitter now be reinvented as a true HoF warrior in the form of his life?

Much like Mosley became resurrected when he fought Pacquiao, I think Cotto is in for a makeover.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 1 Feb - 18:57

manos de piedra wrote:Good fight if its at 154 I think. Probably should have happened at welter several years ago. Would have preffered to see Cotto/Alvarez for LMW supremacy with Mayweather fighting the winner but with options limited this isnt a bad choice.

Going to be interesting to how the Mayweather die hards go 360 degrees on Cotto now. Will the washed up, overrated quitter now be reinvented as a true HoF warrior in the form of his life?

Much like Mosley became resurrected when he fought Pacquiao, I think Cotto is in for a makeover.

Classic case of a bob arum nuthugger Wink

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 1 Feb - 19:04

Super glad as I was resigned for an anti-climax. Not 'the' fight but a good substitute

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 1 Feb - 19:23

Good match uo long overdue.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 1 Feb - 19:31

Yeah, i think the general consensus is, 'it'll do'

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 1 Feb - 19:36

'Money' Mayweather, indeed. He's fighting the biggest PPV star in the sport outside of himself and you know who, and is doing so for what I'd consider to be fairly small risk; can't see how Cotto can win this or even get close, though I expect a fairly even and high-quality match up in the first four rounds or so.

Alvarez was my first choice, but Cotto isn't a bad substitute. I think even some of Mayweather's harshest critics will be fairly content with this. Who knows, maybe taking Cotto's portion of the 154 lb title will force a showdown with Alvarez somewhere down the line? Lost just about all the hope and, to be frank, interest I had in the other fight now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 1 Feb - 19:40

Will be competitive if it's at 154 with mayweather coming off as a clear UD winner. I guess that bar the 2 obvious ones in pacquiao and Martinez, he is the next best choice. There doesn't seem to be many superstars in the 140-154 lbs divisions yet so cotto may be the most likely to win.

Canelo is stronger and fresher but experience counts vs top fighters and Saul won't be ready untill late 2012, 2013. Bradley, Peterson and khan don't really bring anything to the table. Guerrero would be a top opponents but unproven at 140 let alone 147. Maidana would be a wipeout, too flawed. Ortiz wasnt going to be considered neither was berto.

Not a bad fight but gutted ego's have got in the way of the super fight yet again

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 1 Feb - 19:44

A stroll in the park for Mayweather but a completely different fight from Cotto's with Pacquaio.

First reason I think this will be a great fight is due to the 2 fighters have great respect for eachother so I don't see any "silly" talk.

Second is, both guys are great tactically so expect an intriguing 12 round fight. Cotto let himself down by going to war with Manny and Tony. But he will have an opportunity here to follow a solid plan against the "other" best in the world.

And plus it will be a great Sporting Event to watch lets not forget, just like the Manny fight against Cotto.

Really looking forward to this one
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 1 Feb - 19:53

I'm fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me.

Straight from Floyd's twitter feed.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 1 Feb - 20:13

A good fight if it's at the full 154lb limit, aside from Pacquiao and possibly Alvarez it's the best opponent he could have fought, I don't think Cotto is the force he once was but it will be a tactical affair which suits him more than a war. After beating De La Hoya before at light middleweight this will fully cement Mayweather as a legitimate five weight world champion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 1 Feb - 21:02

Cotto will be more patient then Ortiz, less clumsy then Hatton, better tactically then both Marquez and Mosley and vastly more dimensional then Manny.

For me this is more tricky thee the super fight but I think Mayweather's speed will again be the undoing of Cotto. This is last chance saloon for Miguel in terms of super fights so I expect a determined approach.

Could be a cagey affair but very exciting none the less.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 1 Feb - 21:46

i'm really looking forward to it.
yes it should have happened 4 years or so ago but its happening now.

manny claims to be a proper welter just like mayweather but yet floyd is happy to go up a weight unlike manny.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 1 Feb - 21:58

I think cotto deserves a huge pay day also. He is a huge attraction worldwide and a legend to puerto ricans. Mayweather is the ppv king imo an a fight with cotto should surpass mayweather-Ortiz for sales.

He is a top fighter but his past his prime. Hopefully the undercard canbe stacked as the 'starpower' bill was packed.

I agree with the point made about him being seen as a proper LMW champion if he wins. DLH may have been past it, but cotto atm is #1 at 154 and looks to be regaining a bit of confidence since the 1st marg fight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Feb - 22:31

Looking at a wide Floyd win here.

Good fight to make, aside from Martinez, Manny and Alvarez this is the most exciting fight Floyd could make and that's not meant to sound as a backhanded compliment.

Shame it wasn't a few years ago when Cotto was faster and had no scars but am still looking forward to seeing it.

Cotto isn't the same fighter as before but neither is Floyd. FMJ will be more stationary and has been since the Mosley fight, maybe this will help Cotto.

I just don't see Cotto having enough speed or work rate to take the win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 1 Feb - 22:44

This is classic Mayweather. Getting Cotto four years too late, when the buzz has gone. Imo, he won't fight Manny for two years when he'll suddenly agree to 50 50. Who does he think he is? How can a superfight be anything other than 50 50? By definition a superfight means both fighters are superstars at the top of their game.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 2 Feb - 7:43

Agree with much of this. Cotto won't have the speed but then who has? It'll be a competitive fight but a comfortable win for Floyd in the end.

I'm glad it's not Alvarez though, I really do think he could be the one to finally upstage Floyd but not yet, far too green. 18 months time, if Floyd fancies it.... could be interesting.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 2 Feb - 7:53

This is a decent fight, there will always be a slight air of disappointment whoever Manny or Floyd fight until it is each other, such is there superiority to the chasing pack, even had it been Alvarez it would not have been long we would have heard he was too green and on the back of the likes of Rhodes and Hatton he did not have the experience.

Can all agree this should have happened at welter a few years ago but Cotto is coming off a decent win and performance and Floyd is not natural at 154 so if this is at light middle, which I would expect it is as good as could be hoped for, although I can't see anything other than a Floyd victory.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 2 Feb - 8:59

88Chris05 wrote:'Money' Mayweather, indeed. He's fighting the biggest PPV star in the sport outside of himself and you know who, and is doing so for what I'd consider to be fairly small risk; can't see how Cotto can win this or even get close, though I expect a fairly even and high-quality match up in the first four rounds or so.

Alvarez was my first choice, but Cotto isn't a bad substitute. I think even some of Mayweather's harshest critics will be fairly content with this. Who knows, maybe taking Cotto's portion of the 154 lb title will force a showdown with Alvarez somewhere down the line? Lost just about all the hope and, to be frank, interest I had in the other fight now.

Exactly my thoughts on this fight. Should be a good fight. I still believe Miguel has plenty to offer. Seems rejuventated under Steward as shown in the Margarito fight. Stuck to his game plan throughout and destroyed him. The Pacman fight was competitive early on until Miguel got disjointed and put his guard down.

Hopefully Miguel will carry out the fight plan and give Mayweather a good fight. Still a Floyd decision for me. But could be closer than most think it will be.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BritnDub Thu 2 Feb - 13:35

Though 4 years ago would have been better, I'm actually happy enough with this match up. Cotto looked sharper against Margarito than he has for a while, however, Margarito is slow as an iceberg so...

Love Cotto's style and technique, but he's just too slow to have any impact on Mayweather I think.

Would love it though if Cotto and Bradley (?) got the upsets though. Would server May and Pac right.

BritnDub

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 2 Feb - 14:24

I happy with this fight. Cotto was looking back to his best against the Marg

Cotto has little power though and not enough boxing skill to beat Floyd so I predict a Mayweather UD

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Thu 2 Feb - 15:55

Steffan wrote:I happy with this fight. Cotto was looking back to his best against the Marg

Cotto has little power though and not enough boxing skill to beat Floyd so I predict a Mayweather UD

Really excited about this, I'm a big fan of Cotto, and think he will be more competitive than some people think. Although he doesn't had devastating power, I think he has enough of a dig to make FMJ think, and maybe even hesitate a little, which could make things more even. Apart from Mosley, I don't think Mayweather has fought anyone with more power than Cotto recently.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 2 Feb - 19:20

NathanDB10 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I happy with this fight. Cotto was looking back to his best against the Marg

Really excited about this, I'm a big fan of Cotto, and think he will be more competitive than some people think. Although he doesn't had devastating power, I think he has enough of a dig to make FMJ think, and maybe even hesitate a little, which could make things more even. Apart from Mosley, I don't think Mayweather has fought anyone with more power than Cotto recently.

He fought some big hitters at SFW, LW and Oscar was no powder puff puncher. Ortiz has a dig with his head also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 2 Feb - 19:27

In a pound for pound sense he may have fought bigger punchers but aside from De La Hoya and Mosley think that Cotto is the biggest puncher he'll have faced.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 2 Feb - 20:20

Imperial Ghosty wrote:In a pound for pound sense he may have fought bigger punchers but aside from De La Hoya and Mosley think that Cotto is the biggest puncher he'll have faced.

Didn't Coralles (RIP) have a big dig when they fought at SFW? Castillo also? He's fought big hitters through the divisions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 2 Feb - 20:42

Yes but I very much doubt that can hit as hard as Miguel Cotto.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 2 Feb - 20:49

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Yes but I very much doubt that can hit as hard as Miguel Cotto.

Possibly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 2 Feb - 20:51

There is no chance that Corrales or Castillo punch as hard as Cotto in absolute terms.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 2 Feb - 20:54

He's talking "absolute terms".....

He may punch harder sometimes....but not absolutely...

I like that Ghosty...that's good..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 2 Feb - 20:56

Imperial Ghosty wrote:There is no chance that Corrales or Castillo punch as hard as Cotto in absolute terms.

Why? Because Cotto is bigger?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 2 Feb - 21:03

Being bigger does help but he could punch and knock out welterweights while Corrales didn't prove his power above lightweight, can't really see him making Mosley respect his power nor an ageing Mayorga.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 2 Feb - 22:02

GREAT FIGHT!

Very excited. Decent option. Nice work Floyd.

Actually excited - should be a challenge. An actual, no messing about, genuine challenge. Good.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 2 Feb - 22:09

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Being bigger does help but he could punch and knock out welterweights while Corrales didn't prove his power above lightweight, can't really see him making Mosley respect his power nor an ageing Mayorga.

YOu;re probably correct. But in this instance I'd give more credence to p4p punch power. Plus Coralles had more speed and still couldnt touch Floyd.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 5 Feb - 8:09

Herman Jaggery wrote:This is classic Mayweather. Getting Cotto four years too late, when the buzz has gone. Imo, he won't fight Manny for two years when he'll suddenly agree to 50 50. Who does he think he is? How can a superfight be anything other than 50 50? By definition a superfight means both fighters are superstars at the top of their game.

Classic Arum more like...First time Cotto is free in his career and this fight gets made...It's amazing init?

Here is a list of Arum excuses - http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11512.html

99 excuses from Arum and the 50/50 split is not one of them. Laugh

What about the stadium that gets magically made at end of May?...Even Alex Ariza a member of team Pacquiao says it is Arum that is stopping the fight from happening...Yet people still blame Mayweather. Rolling Eyes

Like Richard Schafer said Arum wont put Pacquiao in with Floyd Mayweather till the end of his career...Some people like azumah on here will get it and some people wont.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 5 Feb - 9:52

Classic Arum more like...First time Cotto is free in his career and this fight gets made...It's amazing init?

I'm sure there was a perfectly valid reason, so why did Mayweather retire when it was time to fight Cotto first time round? When Cotto was unbeaten and there was a bit of a buzz about him. If I remember right , everyone wanted to see the fight then, a little before Cotto went in with Margarito.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Thu 9 Feb - 10:22

I think it will be a close fight until the mid-rounds. Would expect Floyd to then win the vast majority of latter rounds and take a comfortable decision.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 9 Feb - 11:46

Its a decent fight. Nothing more, nothing less. I would rather have seen Mayweather against Alvarez personally.

Anyway, this fight should have happened a couple years back after Cotto had defeated Mosley.
At the moment, its hard to judge how good Cotto is. Paquaio was his last major opponent and he took a beating in that fight. Since then, its been a diet of very average names that a decent journeyman would have beaten (Foreman, Mayorga and Marg).

Mayweather to win by 117-111 UD.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down