The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL]

+13
azania
manos de piedra
Lance
88Chris05
School Project
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
The Galveston Giant
Gordy
ShahenshahG
bellchees
Steffan
Imperial Ghosty
Ealing_Bee
17 posters

Go down

Mayweather-Cotto - who wins? [POLL]

Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Vote_lcap77%Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Vote_rcap 77% 
[ 24 ]
Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Vote_lcap23%Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 31

Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Empty Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL]

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

It appears Floyd Mayweather has opened as a huge favourite with the bookmakers ahead of his clash with Miguel Cotto on May 5th.

Please vote for who you think will win and post your valued opinions.

I truly believe Cotto will be one of Mayweather's toughest opponent to date - on level with Castillo. I see Cotto fighting an intelligent fight and using that same jab he used against Mosley. I see Mayweather's speed being a factor but timing can beat speed and that's what Cotto has.

Prediction: SD either way.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Empty Re: Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL]

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

Comfortable win for Mayweather, he's far too quick and accurate for Cotto- 118-110 on the scorecards.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL] Empty Re: Mayweather Jr. vs Cotto - who win & why? [POLL]

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

De la Hoya gave Mayweather problems at 154 - so much so that it would be plausible to say Oscar won 4, 5 or even 6 rounds. It seems to me that not only does Cotto have enough left like Oscar did, he'll fight a much more intelligent fight and give Mayweather a good run for his money.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:06 pm

He won four rounds at most many years ago but his size was a major factor in that fight, Mayweather has got bigger and much stronger since then, you can't beat Mayweather using intelligence he's far too good for that especially for Cotto.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

He won 4 rounds at most? One judge gave Oscar 7 rounds and the other gave him 5.

In agreement that Mayweather has grown into 147 but that will play to Cotto's advantage I feel. Mayweather isn't moving light on his feet, he's standing and trading. Cotto, on the other hand, is doing just that; moving lightly on his feet as a boxer-puncher.

It'll be close!

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

He's done that against Mayorga and Margarito no offence but they're not close to Mayweathers level, De La Hoya did criminally well on the scorecards it really wasn't a close fight. I don't see what Cotto can do to trouble Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

So how do you beat Mayweather?

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Have no idea, there's no one between 140-154lbs who's capable of it at the moment he's just too good.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

Ealing_Bee wrote:So how do you beat Mayweather?

There is no blueprint

42 have treid...42 have failed Cool

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure Castillo failed the first time. It'd be interesting to see a poll on that because every boxing fan I've spoken to has always agreed that Floyd really lost that fight.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

Mayweather should have taken this fight years ago, I can't see that Cotto has anything to trouble him with style wise and he would have got far more credit for beating him a few years back. Mayweather by comfortable decision or maybe a late stoppage if the corner pull Cotto out for taking to many straight right hands flush in the face.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

Reckon the only one who had a decent chance to beat Mayweather was Paul williams and that was merely through sheer size. Apart from him - there has been no one I gave a prayer.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

He put the record right second time around though, there's a fair few on here who think Floyd won myself not included so you can't have been talking to many boxing fans. I had Castillo shading it but it's the not the complete robbery many suggest it is, the vulnerabilities he showed in the first fight have never really resurfaced against relentless pressure fighters, he definitely learnt his lesson.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:01 pm

Has anyone else seen the reported purses the pair are expected to take home for this fight; $30mil for Cotto and $55mil for Mayweather, makes you realise why 50/50 is never going to be an option.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

They're expecting the fight to generate $100m and the split is 65/35. Cotto's expected to earn $35m.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

I like Mayweather but I had Castillo beating him by a clear few rounds in their fight. Their 2nd fight was close but I agree with the 115-113 card for Mayweather.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

The first fight was one of those horrible fights to score, on the balance of the whole fight it was a clear Castillo win but using the ten point must system it makes it a lot closer on the scorecards.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

Never been all that fussed about Mayweather truth be told. His fights are rather boring affairs and I think its his mouth that sells fights rather than what he does in the ring.

There was a huge amount of hype around his fight with de la Hoya for example, a fight I thought he lost due to being overly negative. I consider him rather fortunate that he doesnt have the likes of Hagler, Hearns, Duran or a Sugar Ray Leonard/Robinson around these days who would all knock him off his perch. Boxing is about entertainment and Mayweather doesnt provide me with much so the sooner he loses the better I think. Sadly there doesnt appear to be anyone around these days that can entertain like the great fighters and rivalries in the 80s. The likes of Mayweather and Pacquioa seem content to carry out their rivalries outside of the ring like a poor soap opera rather than providing entertainment in the ring.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

Very harsh on Mayweather that.

Hearns would be a nightmare for him and Hagler would be far too big but don't think the others especially Duran would be knocking him off his perch, he isn't a thrill a minute fighter but he's the closest thing around today to boxing perfection.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

I'm not sure Leonard or Duran would beat him and Hearns/Hagler are much too big. He a pure boxer with a brilliant boxing mind. As for De la Hoya FMJ beat him bloody easily - god knows what those judges were watching.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

Gordy wrote:Never been all that fussed about Mayweather truth be told. His fights are rather boring affairs and I think its his mouth that sells fights rather than what he does in the ring.

There was a huge amount of hype around his fight with de la Hoya for example, a fight I thought he lost due to being overly negative. I consider him rather fortunate that he doesnt have the likes of Hagler, Hearns, Duran or a Sugar Ray Leonard/Robinson around these days who would all knock him off his perch. Boxing is about entertainment and Mayweather doesnt provide me with much so the sooner he loses the better I think. Sadly there doesnt appear to be anyone around these days that can entertain like the great fighters and rivalries in the 80s. The likes of Mayweather and Pacquioa seem content to carry out their rivalries outside of the ring like a poor soap opera rather than providing entertainment in the ring.

Oh puhlease. Im not a big FMJ fan but he clearly won the fight against De la Hoya.

I really don't get the idea that busy = better. DLH was busy (until he ran out of steam) but very ineffective. He was like a swarm of bees attacking a man in steel armour. FMJ was clinical and landed the cleaner, crisper shots. He was EFFICIENT, didn't waste energy hustling and bustling to no avail. That, imo, takes far more skill and boxing iq to accomplish than the swarming, wailing approach (a la Hatton).

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

I'll go for Mayweather wide UD, Cotto has changed his style recently and i don't expect it to change for the Mayweather fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

Cotto doesn't have the height or reach advantages de la Hoya had. Mayweather is physically bigger and stronger since then and cotto doesn't have the stamina to out gun mayweather for the whole fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 04 Feb 2012, 6:00 pm

Here's my two cents:

Mayweather:

Mayweather looks as though he can carry 154 very well. He has grown into welterweight and looks very solid at the weight, on fight night against Mosley and Ortiz there's no doubt he was probably around 152. He looks like a Junior Middle. His footspeed has slowed somewhat, but his head movement and handspeed haven't waivered. His lead straight is still too quick for a number of boxers to handle. He has come forward a lot more in recent fights and, although not boxing from the pocket like his Lightweight days, is able to counter punch coming forward.

Cotto:

Cotto has adapted his footmovement and punching a hell of a lot since Margarito and Pacquaio. Watch how he used to box, he was left hand happy and was unable to punch on the move, often standing off, punching and moving away. On the back foot he would circle, plant, throw and when moving away THAT'S when he was tagged. He seems to have learnt how to punch out of pressure now. His left hand is a weapon, but he isn't as reliant on it now. Jab-left hook is effective, followed by a right straight will score points. His left uppercut on the inside is also very powerful, but it probably look that affective against Mayweather.

My Guess:

That said, the first couple of rounds will probably be close, Mayweather and Cotto sizing each other up. If Cotto is able to pressure Mayweather without leaving himself open he will gain advantages, but I can see Mayweather fighting more agressively (akin to his fighter from Round 4 on with Mosley). Leading with the straight right with it connecting regularly.

Cotto will have to try and lead, attempt his left hook to the body, especially against the ropes and attack Mayweather with straights. Mayweather by round 6 will force Cotto on the back foot slightly, thowing potshots at Cotto when he backs off. Mayweather leaving enough distance and range to throw 1-2 combos before stepping back from Cotto's left hook-right straight.

I'd have to bet on Mayweather by UD but in a competitive fight.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 04 Feb 2012, 6:16 pm

I think Cotto will give a good account of himself - he always does - but I don't envisage a particularly close fight after the first four or five rounds. My concern is that his 154 lb exploits so far have been due to clever matchmaking engineered to hide the depreciation of his abilities. He's certainly half a step slower than he was back in his 2007 pomp and seems to be lacking that same pop in his punches.

Since Margarito I, he's only really stepped up to a decent world level once. That was against Pacquiao, and it made for painful viewing by the latter stages. Jennings, Foreman and Mayorga were cakewalks, and I don't believe that a slow-burning stoppage of a one-eyed Margarito is any kind of proof that Cotto is back to his best. He's declined significantly, and I expect Mayweather to demonstrate that.

People forget that Mayweather has a good reach for such a moderately sized Welterweight / Light-Middleweight. I don't see how Cotto can win the battle of the jabs, and nor do I see him having the power at 154 lb to stop Mayweather in his tracks. I actually think that Mayweather's slightly adapted style these days of holding the centre of the ring more, rather than pot shotting off the back foot, will be an advantage against Cotto; the Puerto Rican can't match him in the hand speed department, and it also reduces the chances of some daft, only-impressed-by-whoever's-marching-forward judge ruining the end result via poor scoring, as they almost did against De la Hoya.

Mayweather 117-111.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 04 Feb 2012, 7:08 pm

expect mayweather to win this comfortably. cotto is not as big or as smart as delahoya and although that fight was tougher than most of mayweathers fights, he still won it.

cotto tends to fight in bursts and once mayweather times him i think cotto will quickly run out of ideas and lose a bit of heart. expect mayweather to start to come forward in the second half, much like he did with mosely, but without any worry from cottos power it will be less competitive than the mosely mayweather fight. not sure mayweather has the power to stop him though.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

Harold Lederman is to blame for people perceptions of the De La Hoya fight, I scored it a comfortable 117-111 possibly 116-112 at worst but can't see how it can be any closer than that. Mayweather can do everything Cotto can but better as well as much much more, it's a good matchup but agree with Chris that Cotto's recent oppposition has been fairly awful with the toughest fight probably being Foreman which says it all.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

Il be interested to see what Mayweather weighs in for this fight at, and whether he stays intends to stay at light middle afterwards.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 9:00 pm

Alvarez seems the logical next step after Cotto and then possibly a tilt against Martinez before retiring for good.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 05 Feb 2012, 2:07 am

Gordy wrote:Never been all that fussed about Mayweather truth be told. His fights are rather boring affairs and I think its his mouth that sells fights rather than what he does in the ring.

I agree with you that Floyd is boring, especially at this weight. In his LW days he was a supreme boxer with extremely fast and accurate hands and wonderful footwork. A complete boxer. Yes his mouth sells more than his skills. Pernell was equally gifted but for me boring inside and outside the ring. So he's forgotten except for hardcore boxing fans.

You cant put him in the same category as SRL, Hearns, Hagler etc. They would be too big for him. He is not a natural WW. As for Duran, much as I like the bloke, but Floyd beats him more often that not.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealing_Bee Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:55 am

This idea that Mayweather is unbeatable is simply untrue. IF Mosley was anywhere near his prime I'm sure he would have at least put Mayweather down when he had him in trouble. Hatton was a blown-up 140lb-er and Marquez had no business at 147lbs. He dominated Judah but let's not forget Judah may have won the first 4-5 rounds and then lost steam. Castillo arguably beat him. It's all clever matchmaking and everyone is guilty of it but to my mind Mayweather is not unbeatable.

Ealing_Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:58 am

Mayweather by a comfy UD.

I give Cotto a chance of winning 3-4 rds at the very best.

Floyd's simply too quick and accurate for Cotto.

I'm a big Cotto fan but he hasn't beaten a decent top level operator in a very long time.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

I get your point on Mosley but if it was a prime Mosley Mayweather probably wouldn't have got caught he would have been more cautious.

He isn't unbeatable no fighter is but it would take one of the elite to do it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

i see mayweather being too cute for cotto, too fast, too precise.

another belt for his collection on 5th may.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:48 am

Ealing_Bee wrote:This idea that Mayweather is unbeatable is simply untrue. IF Mosley was anywhere near his prime I'm sure he would have at least put Mayweather down when he had him in trouble. Hatton was a blown-up 140lb-er and Marquez had no business at 147lbs. He dominated Judah but let's not forget Judah may have won the first 4-5 rounds and then lost steam. Castillo arguably beat him. It's all clever matchmaking and everyone is guilty of it but to my mind Mayweather is not unbeatable.

I don't think anyone's saying he's unbeatable, just that cotto doesn't have the tools at this point in his career to get the win.A prime Mosley would have won that fight, but that wasn't prime mayweather, his reflexes aren't as fast anymore and I he was in his prime he wouldn't have stood of front of him for so long.Judah had a lot of success but mayweather changed the game plan which he does very well and it worked. Not since Castillo has he been in real danger of losing (de la Hoya didn't deserve a SD but that's just my opinion)

Mayweather is beatable, but it takes a special fighter like Leonard to beat him, unfortunately no-one in the 140-154 lb division atm is at that level.

Cotto hasn't looked the same since margarito, and despite having a good win last time mayweather is the complete opposite of margarito & mayorca, fast smart and accurate.

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Mon 06 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

i'll be putting a bet on Floyd winning by knockout in round 9, just got a sneaky feeling he'll want to out do what Pac did but with boxing you just never know

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 06 Feb 2012, 7:21 pm

Ealing_Bee wrote:This idea that Mayweather is unbeatable is simply untrue. IF Mosley was anywhere near his prime I'm sure he would have at least put Mayweather down when he had him in trouble. Hatton was a blown-up 140lb-er and Marquez had no business at 147lbs. He dominated Judah but let's not forget Judah may have won the first 4-5 rounds and then lost steam. Castillo arguably beat him. It's all clever matchmaking and everyone is guilty of it but to my mind Mayweather is not unbeatable.

Well don't agree with your points about Hatton or Marquez, were we talking about a big career Welterweight then it may make more sense but he isn't.

Hatton was bigger on fight night than Mayweather while Marquez went on to arguably beat Pacquiao at Welterweight while Judah was winning after 4 rounds but he hadn't won all of them by a long way.

It may be clever matchmaking but there hasn't been anyone around the 130-147lb region in the past ten years who I would give a realistic chance of beating Mayweather, he is a step above everyone else.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

Floyd will win comfortably, far too fast for Miguel.

If Cotto can apply some pressure then we may see Floyd try to move around a bit more than in recent fights, otherwise I expect Floyd to score all night and nullify anything Cotto does up close.

I don't see Cotto having the speed, power or workrate to trouble Floyd, who finds him all night with razor sharp lead punches from the centre of the ring.

I expect Floyd to look plenty strong enough too, he's grown and is bigger than most people estimate when it comes fight time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 06 Feb 2012, 10:53 pm

Come fight time he's still only about 150lbs, he's well built but he's not as huge as many welterweights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down