The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster

+16
The Great Aukster
ME-109
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
Sin é
thebandwagonsociety
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Feckless Rogue
Golden
SirJohnnyEnglish
rodders
geoff998rugby
Bathite
red_stag
Kingshu
Mickado
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster	 - Page 3 Empty Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster

Post by Mickado Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Saw a rumour on the Leinster fan site that Sykes has signed with the Sharks back in South Africa.

Pretty disappointing if true, he did arrive with some fairly high expectations and for one reason or another he hasn’t been able to stay fit and has only played in 4 games for us (just under 200 mins).

I would be in favour of looking to sign a marquee foreign player in his position if that is the case, someone like Bekker or Whitelock would be a good call but not sure how likely either of them are to come here.

Maybe we could look at the likes of Caldwell who’s been playing well for Bath, but I’m not sure the good form he’s showing is sustainable. He never played enough for long enough at Ulster.

Last edited by Mickado on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster	 - Page 3 Empty Re: Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster

Post by Mickado Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 pm

According to Jackman we're in talks with Brad Thorne!

Now that would be a coup!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster	 - Page 3 Empty Re: Stephen Sykes leaving Leinster

Post by rodders Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Sin é wrote:None of whom have been front-line players like Ross, Reddan & Cronin.

I don't agree. I think Leinster are going to be very short on the leadership stakes in the forwards once Leo & Jennings retire unless Ruddock steps up to the plate.

Sexton will Captain Leinster in the future. And Ireland.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Gibson wrote:
Sin é wrote:None of whom have been front-line players like Ross, Reddan & Cronin.

I don't agree. I think Leinster are going to be very short on the leadership stakes in the forwards once Leo & Jennings retire unless Ruddock steps up to the plate.

Sexton will Captain Leinster in the future. And Ireland.

Not sure if he can do that from the bench when Madigan is no.1. Same for Ireland. But don't worry POM will do fine as captain.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Rory Best will be captain after O'Connell then probably Sexton or Heaslip dunno maybe someone else will put their hands up,O'Mahoney has potential but he's a long way off captaining Ireland.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 am

Mickado wrote:According to Jackman we're in talks with Brad Thorne!

Heard that on the radio. Something about we are in talks with him. He is playing in Japan but their season finishes in a couple of weeks. For a short tint I would see him being interested in coming into a team with a genuine chance at the heineken cup as it would be a nice add-on to his very impressive CV.

There must be some serious good feedback going to into SA-NZ from their ex-pats that are at the irish provinces. There was a time that you might get a journeyman into an irish provincial side. The calibre of players that the irish sides are approaching are now from the top drawer.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am

Just heard it too on the radio plus it is being reported in NZ:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10781603

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:

Heard that on the radio. Something about we are in talks with him. He is playing in Japan but their season finishes in a couple of weeks. For a short tint I would see him being interested in coming into a team with a genuine chance at the heineken cup as it would be a nice add-on to his very impressive CV.

There must be some serious good feedback going to into SA-NZ from their ex-pats that are at the irish provinces. There was a time that you might get a journeyman into an irish provincial side. The calibre of players that the irish sides are approaching are now from the top drawer.

He is a bit of a dinosaur though. 37? Playing in Japan is he still good? As a short term contract there's no harm especially given Cullen is injured and Sykes has cried off home.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 am

He played in the world cup final last year. I'd say he's still got it.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:24 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:

He is a bit of a dinosaur though. 37? Playing in Japan is he still good? As a short term contract there's no harm especially given Cullen is injured and Sykes has cried off home.

We are not looking for 5 years out of the lad. We're talking the rest of this season or 2 seasons at the most. He has been key to NZ for a while and is still a highly rated player (regardless of his age). Being in Japan is more about playing as much as he can in his twilight seasons (and the pay!).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Great for Irish Rugby alright, Geriatric AB joins leinster. No wonder the irfu are trying to change the rules.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Well actually DOD the IRFU are changing the rules because you guys are fielding two NIQ props......Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3