The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gary Sykes

+12
KingMonkey
bhb001
SuperCert
The Galveston Giant
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Rowley
manos de piedra
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Gary Sykes Empty Gary Sykes

Post by hampo17 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:33 am

He'll be fighting Bronner on the undercard of Khan vs Peterson apparently although no official annoucement has been made, a great fight for him but not one he can win in my opinion, he doesn't have the power and if Bronner can get to him early he's been shown as vunerable by Gary Buckland.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gary Sykes Empty Re: Gary Sykes

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

I heard on Ringside that they were looking for a British opponent for Broner all right. Going to very tough for him in this if it goes ahead though. Hes just not at Broners level. Could very one sided.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:25 am

Fair play to him for taking the fight and great opportunity but from what I have seen of both of them, which is not loads this looks a bridge too far for Sykes

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

Easy win for Broner I would be surprised if Sykes goes 6 rounds Buckland sparked him out in two rounds and he ha a real lack of power. There is nothing to suggest Sykes does any better than Eloy Perez did.

Good oppurtunity for him I just wonder why GBP think he's a decent opponent. Surely the man who has beat him twice or even Selby moving up would be better.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote: I just wonder why GBP think he's a decent opponent.

Cheap and available would be my first guesses.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

Only thing I would say in Sykes defence is that he was KOed in prizefighter where the format lends itself to having to adopt a more frantic kind of pace and style. In the return fight he gave a better showing when he knew he could box over 12 rather than having only 3 rounds to work with.

Still, I think Broner will find himself pretty comfortable in there and have a feeling he might try and put a Hamed showboating like humiliation on Sykes for the audience. Hopefully Sykes can provide a good test.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

Fair point but Selby and Buckland aren't going to cost you a lot of cash. Selby has a fight in May and Buckland just won a few weeks ago but it wasn't a tough fight.

With Buckland being with Hatton I thought he would have been the man. I heard last week that GBP were looking for a Brit and I just thought it would be Buckland.

Broners a real talent but this isn't even a test.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:35 am

Great opportunity for Sykes, and whatever the weather it'll be an experience he'll never forget at the very least.

The realistic outcome, of course, is that he'll be left totally bewildered by Broner's quicksilver attacks and will be put out of his misery inside the first half of the fight, but it would surely have been a long time before another chance to rub shoulders with one of the better fighters in world boxing presented itself, so all the best to him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

Broner is far from unabeatable IMO. Gary has got the style to cause him some problems, he needs to take the fight to Broner, show him no respect and not let him dictate the fight.

Looks like a good test for Broner but due to Gary's light punching, am not sure he is going to command enough respect to deter him and I see a mid to late round stoppage.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

Broner is too quick, too powerful and all around too good. Sykes hit the floor vs johansson and buckland, too average punchers at domestic level and the shots were a lot slower.

Broner KO inside 4, total mismatch. Buckland deserved the chance more

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

Shows just how much of a HBO hypejob Broner is, an awful match up, i think Uchiyama beats him

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm

Early stoppage, good to see the cards slowly getting better. Think Buckland refused the fight after being offered Poopie money.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperCert Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

This is a pointless arse-whooping fight but I'll be keen to see it anyway.

SuperCert

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

SuperCert wrote:This is a pointless arse-whooping fight but I'll be keen to see it anyway.

Did Frank have anything to do with setting it up? Run

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

The more fights Broner has and I get to see the happier I am to be honest. Sykes doesn't stand a chance in there though. I guess at the very best Sykes doesn't get too badly shown up and can take a good experience from it all.

I don't see Broner as a hype job at all.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

KingMonkey wrote:The more fights Broner has and I get to see the happier I am to be honest. Sykes doesn't stand a chance in there though. I guess at the very best Sykes doesn't get too badly shown up and can take a good experience from it all.

I don't see Broner as a hype job at all.

Have you seen the De Leon fight? Could have went either way.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

I like how ring mag are trying to sell Sykes as a serious opponent claiming that his KO loss was a stoppage due to cuts.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

rowley wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote: I just wonder why GBP think he's a decent opponent.

Cheap and available would be my first guesses.

i would say its abit more exposure for broner over here aswell, raising his profile that bit more. they did it with alvarez fighting the likes of hatton. if i ask any of my non/casual boxing fan mates they would say they have never heard of broner yet if they see him spanking a brit of the undercard of a khan fight they might start to take notice

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:51 am

Yeah, it's definitely an exposure thing, but I couldn't care less, the bloke looks every bit the type of boxer I like to watch.

As for the De Leon fight, no I haven't seen it. Could have gone either way you say? Fair enough, I've no problem with that. I wouldn't have a problem with Broner having a loss either, I'd still enjoy watching him fight, he doesn't look a hype job at all.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

They could have had Buckland but the money offered was Very poor.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The fly half sourcerer Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

Tony borg spoke on another forum and said their trying to get fagatelli the euro champ or Steve foster jnr for buckland next.

Know Lee selby has been out to Vegas at the moment and is sparring with mayweather and Aussie Joel brunker. FairPlay to the st joesephs gym their doing really well with their lads

The fly half sourcerer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down