The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck

2 posters

Go down

Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck Empty Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:06 pm

Did anyone read Saturday's Western Mail? (I only got to read it today). Three of their rugby reporters picked their starting XVs and replacements for Wales's opening Six Nations match against Ireland. Not one of them had Ashley Beck anywhere, not even on the bench (yet two of them found space for James Hook in midfield).

Me, I think Ashley Beck is a class act; but these people write about rugby for a living, so they must know better, right?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck Empty Re: Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck

Post by Guest Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Thing is, are they picking what they think should be the starting XV or what they think Gatts will pick?

Beck is in good (try-scoring) form, but is Ireland away the right place to start him, even on the bench?

Back to top Go down

Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck Empty Re: Western Fail rugby reporters omit Ashley Beck

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:58 am

They were picking their preferred XVs, I think.

I agree with you that Ireland away isn't necessarily the ideal place to make your debut, but one of them was happy enough to put uncapped Harry Robinson on the wing, who, as good a player as he is, has barely had a game for the Blues. What annoyed me was that none of them even mentioned Ashley Beck at all, not even to explain why they'd left him out. For my money he's played better this season than any other Welsh centre.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

If Roberts is out then Ireland or not I would go with Beck. Who else is there really:

Hook - Hasn't worked before so why would it now and what form is he actually in?

Henson - Just not had enough game time.

Williams - Seems to be having hit n miss season and has been surpassed by beck IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

I haven't seen much of Hook at Perpignan - apart from when they came to Dave Parade and he was rubbish - but the point is that he's been playing ten, not in midfield. I was amazed that two of the Western Mail journalists had him in midfield when Ashley Beck's been playing so well right under their noses.

If Jamie Roberts isn't fit, I'd have Ashley Beck and Jonathan Davies in midfield.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

LP,

I never find anything written in the Fail a surprise anymore, the guys haven't got a clue and god knows how they got the job.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:16 am

I know, I shouldn't have been surprised either really. But I presume the national coaches will have more sense.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

Lets be honesy all through the world cup we had the so called expert pundits on TV saying that they would still pick Hook Doh
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:29 am

Hook can be a great player, but Ashley Beck has just as much skill, great hands, but doesn't have the tendency to run up blind alleys that Hook has.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down